IGNORED

M is for Mama 3: B is for Baby Boy Born

Jellybean

I’ve also heard from pediatricians who won’t allow bunk beds in their homes for the same reasons. (Boo—I always thought bunkbeds looked way cool.)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hane said:

I’ve also heard from pediatricians who won’t allow bunk beds in their homes for the same reasons. (Boo—I always thought bunkbeds looked way cool.)

Granddaughter the younger fell out of her top bunk bed 2 years ago when the rail broke and broke her arm. she was only 7 and i felt so bad for her...she spent the whole summer in an immobilizer. Her parents bought a new one because there's just not room for her to not be in a bunk with her sister.

• Sad 4

Despite having to pull it out and push it in, I think I’d do a trundle over a bunk.

• Upvote 1

We have the Kura bed from Ikea. It’s like a very low bunk bed. So even if my son fell out (which is unlikely since it has tiny walls all around the top bunk), it would not be far. This picture is just a picture I found online. 

D0D9C471-9B6B-40A3-B38C-4D98E2594AC1.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:58 PM, Hane said:
On 4/4/2019 at 4:55 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I've always heard that having a trampoline increases one's homeowner's insurance, but I can't personally verify that.

I think it depends on the insurance company. When we bought our house, we were asked of we had a trampoline, a large dog, or a fireplace. All three of those would have affected our liability. From time to time, my kids will ask for a trampoline. The answer is always a firm "No." Then, I remind them of the YouTube fail videos they've seen, and if they'd like to experience that pain! 

My boys do use a bunk bed, but it's a must. We live in an old farmhouse, and there is literally not enough floor space for two beds. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/4/2019 at 4:33 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

She’s going to have a real fun time with a bazillion teenagers in the house. I, for one, am looking forward to it. 

I hope she has checked out so much until then that she won't even care anymore. It would be the best for her kids.

• Upvote 4

On 4/8/2019 at 12:53 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

We have the Kura bed from Ikea. It’s like a very low bunk bed. So even if my son fell out (which is unlikely since it has tiny walls all around the top bunk), it would not be far. This picture is just a picture I found online. 

D0D9C471-9B6B-40A3-B38C-4D98E2594AC1.jpeg

Does that keep the mattress far enough off the floor for air to circulate?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lilith said:

Does that keep the mattress far enough off the floor for air to circulate?

No but I’m sure you could find something to put under it to help with air circulation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I hadn't realized that there are low bunk beds. For various reasons, that might be useful for my kids in the future. I searched images and I like the looks of this one.Jamie-Twin-Over-Twin-Bunk-Bed.jpg.388b29d138d41c86be7fc69cab12256e.jpg

I wonder if the kid in the bottom bed might be a risk of bumping their head, though. There isn't much space there.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I hadn't realized that there are low bunk beds. For various reasons, that might be useful for my kids in the future. I searched images and I like the looks of this one.Jamie-Twin-Over-Twin-Bunk-Bed.jpg.388b29d138d41c86be7fc69cab12256e.jpg

I wonder if the kid in the bottom bed might be a risk of bumping their head, though. There isn't much space there.

Low bunk beds are best for younger kids. Teens need the tall bunk beds for the head room. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/5/2019 at 2:56 AM, luv2laugh said:

@Ozlsn Braggie outsources her homeschooling. Two days out of the week, they attend co-cop (she teaches Spanish class there as well). Thursdays, I believe, her mother homeschools them at her house and they spend the night there as well. Additionally, I believe her mom does all of the homeschooling but Braggie won’t admit it.

I bet her kids want to live with Grandma.

Uh I know that the vast majority of our fundie Moms have no business teaching their kids, but does Braggie have any kind of qualifications to teach Spanish? Like, is she even fluent in Spanish? For some reason, all I can imagine is Braggie speaking and teaching Spanish the same way that Peggy Hill teaches and speaks Spanish.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, milkteeth said:

Uh I know that the vast majority of our fundie Moms have no business teaching their kids, but does Braggie have any kind of qualifications to teach Spanish? Like, is she even fluent in Spanish? For some reason, all I can imagine is Braggie speaking and teaching Spanish the same way that Peggy Hill teaches and speaks Spanish.

Braggie brags in her biography on her blog that she’s been completely fluent in Spanish :)

• Thank You 1

It's sooo hard when everyone is always telling you how awesome you are when really you're just a transparent, self-centered, narcissistic, screaming shrew who yells at the kids because the pillow aren't arranged perfectly. 

I find it telling that she says "my kids'". Shouldn't that be our kids or me and Shaun's kids? Abbie is so great that he's never, ever around except when she's making a big deal about his basic parenting. 

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think my eyes rolled clean out of my head...

6BE7B362-7E6F-4E96-9299-94A1EC0E796C.jpeg

Wow. I'm pretty sure you could put that in a dictionary to DEFINE "humblebrag".

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I would just like to say that I do NOT get tired of people telling me how amazing I am.
Like, ever.
Shut up, Abbie, you condescending twit.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

It's sooo hard when everyone is always telling you how awesome you are when really you're just a transparent, self-centered, narcissistic, screaming shrew who yells at the kids because the pillow aren't arranged perfectly. 

I find it telling that she says "my kids'". Shouldn't that be our kids or me and Shaun's kids? Abbie is so great that he's never, ever around except when she's making a big deal about his basic parenting. 

Most moms I know on social media say "my kids."  Mom culture online is a funny thing. 

44 minutes ago, bea said:

I would just like to say that I do NOT get tired of people telling me how amazing I am.
Like, ever.
Shut up, Abbie, you condescending twit.

Except for my husband, no one even tells me nice things like that anyway. Lol 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Abbie did a “day in the life” IG story for someone else (it’s in her “yay Jesus” post) and holy crow. I mean, just....those kids over 5 or so look like androids. Complete with chanting a bible verse in unison.

And they’re BARELY IN THE VIDEO. Like “I have 8 kids that I homeschool only the bigger boys are watching the younger ones and the girls all went home with my mom and I just got home from my exercise class....”

And she’s just patting herself on the back through the whole story.

Go watch it. I can’t wait.

ETA: sorry, it’s DITL/Abbie in the stories section of @homeandhavencommunity - homeschooling moms apparently have a full face of makeup at 5am.

• Upvote 3

I watched it yesterday and I homeschool 7 kids, plus have a nursing baby and (this is when I realized I NEVER should have watched her day in the life) felt bad afterwards, because our homeschool days look nothing like that.  THANK YOU, BEA! You totally defined what was so off about her videos. She homeschools, but her kids are not all around her. WEIRD. 

I thought it was weird there weren't workbooks, papers, and pencils everywhere (homeschool, real homeschool, is messy). And I noticed her mom there. And she was able to leave the house TWICE during the day without any kids, not even the nursing baby. But still couldn't put my finger on what seemed so strange. It's that she isn't actually right in there with her kids.

Also, for how much she brags about how "rad" her kids are (pleeeeeeeease stop saying rad. It sounds so insincere and phony), they are not obedient. When her toddler was rocking back on his stool and she kept telling him to stop and he just ignored her? She did a story like a year ago in her van and one of the twins kept cutting in front of the camera making annoying noises and faces and Abbie kept sternly telling her to "stop that. Say, yes ma'am. Stop. Yes, ma'am. Stop doing that. Say yes ma'am". And the child just ignored her. 

Edit: PS- nothing wrong with little kids not obeying right away, totally normal. It just doesn't fit with all the parenting blog posts she's done explaining why her kids are superior at obedience and always say 'yes, ma'am' cheerfully and obey.

I think that's why she doesn't do stories very often. It's harder to curate the perfect children who say yes, ma'am and obey.

Edited by Off the Rails
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, EowynW said:

Most moms I know on social media say "my kids."  Mom culture online is a funny thing. 

Thanks for the insight. I don't have any social media accounts and don't look at other people's unless it's in the context of FJ so I really have no clue what is appropriate or not. It still doesn't sound right to me, coming from Abbie and the non-existent Shaun. She's mentioned in the past that he doesn't like to take pictures so for all we know he's around every day all day but something tells me he's not. Poor Ezra shoulders too many of his dad's responsibilities. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 3

I refuse to watch the video. I’ll throw my phone and break it. I know it. I’ve always said she’s got that huge house so she can get away from her kids. But I imagine she hates the toddler/preschool age so much because they follow you everywhere no matter how big your house is. She does very little parenting IMO and that’s why her younger kids don’t listen to her and she screams about pillow arrangement. If you are barely parenting your kids, they aren’t going to listen to you much. They’ll listen to Ezra first. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Her house is EMPTY. Except for decoration. It looks like a f*cking furniture store. Where are the TOYS? I have a big house and two kids and their stuff is all OVER the damn place. You can’t walk into my house and avoid the fact that I have kids. I have just two, and they’re in public school and do after school activities and STILL, the minute you walk into my house, you know kids live there.
Also my kitchen looks like somebody cooks there.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Just now, bea said:

Her house is EMPTY. Except for decoration. It looks like a f*cking furniture store. Where are the TOYS? I have a big house and two kids and their stuff is all OVER the damn place. You can’t walk into my house and avoid the fact that I have kids. I have just two, and they’re in public school and do after school activities and STILL, the minute you walk into my house, you know kids live there.
Also my kitchen looks like somebody cooks there.

Same. But my house is a quarter of the size of Braggie’s. She likely makes her kids out their toys in one designated room upstairs or in their closets at all times. That probably keeps them away from her. If the toys are only in their rooms and aren’t allowed downstairs, they will spend most of their time in their rooms. Or outside on the trampoline hurting themselves on random decorations.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• Georgiana locked this topic