IGNORED

Jana 8: Now with Instagram

Coconut Flan

On 2/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, Sullie06 said:

Tebow actually lived in my town for awhile. He was playing Baseball for our AA baseball team which is a Farm Team for the NY Mets. From what I've come to understand he isn't very nice. I've never personally talked to him but my brother ran into him a few times and he was arrogant, talked down to people and wouldn't even sign autographs for the kids. Seems like Jana lucked out there. 

I've heard tell that at college (UF), he was sort of Aaron Hernandez's Accountability Buddy. 

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2019 at 9:35 AM, tabitha2 said:

Jana is largely a blank slate. People see what they want to see. 

I agree with you. However, I do think there are some distinct clues in The Curious Case of Jana Duggar.

It has been said time and time again that in childhood she was a rambunctious tomboy. In adulthood she has been labeled by family and close associates as stern, "sassy but classy" and take charge. Michelle recently commented ( for the little girls album) that Johanna was a leader type like Jana. That is why there is nothing inside me that that believes Jana is still at the big house against her better wishes. If Jana wanted to marry to escape TTH she would have jumped on the first thing smoking like some of her counterparts. 

But it's like @SassyPants said up thread. How far can we really delve into a conversation of speculation re: Jana before we start to break a few rules here.

I think whatever Jana truly wants ( and that may not be marriage) is already in that house (or close by).When that leaves or changes, then she may consider leaving herself. That could be anything or any mixture of things, really. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

As baby of the family who was always really independent and type-A and treated pretty much exactly the same as my two older siblings, I don't personally put much stock in birth order personality traits. That said, Joy-Anna always drove me up a wall and I think it's because she has a lot of baby of the family type tendencies.

Maybe it's because she was the baby of the girls for so long or maybe it just ended up that way, but she always acted so helpless and almost like she was playing up her young-ness. I have trouble with the Duggar accent, but no one's grates more than Joy's. Then you throw in her helplessness over wedding decisions and her reliance on Austin to pick what clothes he likes her in... she just drives me batty.

So when I think back to the "gunna go tell Jana you're not obeyin,'" I remember it more as Joy being a tattle tale about a much younger sibling to the sister who was in charge at that time.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I think Jana was called in to wrangle the wayward younger ones because of her personality and position in the family at that point. Back before the shine of tv cameras made their story glossy, Michelle admitted that Jana runs the house better than she does. I believe it was on their first or second special. 

That one season where they did an aftershow with Daphne Oz, Jana's personality really shined through more than all the overheards, interviews and features alike. She sat things straight with Joy who was apparantly lying about how things came together with her likinv Austin. In the aftershow, Jana over talked Joy and immediately based the sitiation lol revealing Joy was more into Austin than her fundie maiden retelling of it all. I think Jana is (secretly no so secretly) boss! And not just because she is older, although I am sure it helps. I think it is her personality, too.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Yea- “obey” always sounds so much harsher to me than “co-operate” “ or “do what I asked you” - although they mean essentially the same in that context. And obviously, from their own statements not obeying can have very extreme consequences. Although, given the startling difference in behavior from the robotic stepford children of the early specials - and the running amok on countertop howlers and lost- girls  - It appears the teen sis-mom’s didn’t (thankfully) hold up the same standards. I would be shocked if there wasn’t some corporeal punishment - even the public schools there hit kids with boards. But it’s more likely the occasional smack as ones running by than the ritualized abuse of blanket training. 

That could be from a feeling of protection, or just not giving a f#@$&, or just being tired and outnumbered. Or a combo. JB & Michelle seem a lot more like visiting grandparents by the point the youngest were toddlers. Helping out, but not the ones who are really in charge. 

I am not disagreeing with your general statements (I too think "obey" is a harsher word and wonder why they use it in place of other words), but to the bolded (mine) that is just not true. I am sure there is some rural school out there that might and I know that private fundie-lite schools do (went to one of those for a while), however, our larger public schools do not have any corporal punishment policies either official or not. Arkansas has enough bad things both true and stereotypes, please do not add something like this to the list. It a hard place to leave and the rest of the country's perception of us is not really helpful.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Her Instagram page looks very curated and like it belongs to a professional 'influencer.' It would be great if she amassed a following for her DIY, recipe, gardening tips and then started doing endorsements. Something where she could have an independent stream of income for doing things she enjoys. I've always thought it was so weird the other Duggar daughters haven't capitalized on their social media followings (well Jill is trying, but she's Jill and doesn't have the talent). 

But yes,  Jana has to be staying because she wants to. I wonder what she will do when all the little ones grow up and marry or after her parents pass away. Live with any other unmarried siblings? Or unmarried friends?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Yesterday, Laura was doing another ask me anything. She says she was never a tutor, but was homeschooled.

She also stated she met Jana at conferences a loooooong <----- (she typed it like this) time ago. 

20190207_143008.jpg

Someone asked her about that photo she shared with Josie doing homework and she said something like "Tell your friends on reddit that was someone else's photo"

looool

Interesting...however, I find it hard to believe she’s only around to keep Jana company.  Maybe she’s dating/courting/whatever someone in the area?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Yesterday, Laura was doing another ask me anything. She says she was never a tutor, but was homeschooled.

She also stated she met Jana at conferences a loooooong <----- (she typed it like this) time ago. 

Excuse my bluntness, but... what exactly is she doing then while living with (?) the Duggars? I mean, it's not like there aren't enough people in that house already ?

Signed, 

An introvert

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've heard tell that at college (UF), he was sort of Aaron Hernandez's Accountability Buddy. 

The criminal and killer Hernandez? If so, is there any role in which he is successful?

44 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Excuse my bluntness, but... what exactly is she doing then while living with (?) the Duggars? I mean, it's not like there aren't enough people in that house already ?

Signed, 

An introvert

Probably the same thing that every other person living in that house is doing, not much.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I am not disagreeing with your general statements (I too think "obey" is a harsher word and wonder why they use it in place of other words), but to the bolded (mine) that is just not true. I am sure there is some rural school out there that might and I know that private fundie-lite schools do (went to one of those for a while), however, our larger public schools do not have any corporal punishment policies either official or not. Arkansas has enough bad things both true and stereotypes, please do not add something like this to the list. It a hard place to leave and the rest of the country's perception of us is not really helpful.

Well, I don't know about EVERY school in Arkansas but some still do paddle. It was on the news during the school walkouts that a couple of kids walked out and chose swats as their punishment. Somewhere down by Little Rock. Conway maybe?

Edited by Grace
  • WTF 2

I think we established the Laura still works for IBLP's Embassy Media. She has vaguely alluded to being able to work remotely. It seems that she's does "graphic design and publishing." So it makes sense that she could work remotely, especially if she's a contract employee.

If Laura wasn't interested in marriage and since she doesn't seem to be bothered by patriarchy in the community she supports, then it's really not a bad gig she's got going on. She gets to hang out with her friends, travel, do a little work here and there, and all without her own headship. I wonder if she or Sierra ever got paid for their event planning they've done for the Duggars

I think the tutoring stuff got mixed up in it because Tabitha was a tutor with the Duggars and the timing of when we started knowing Laura was coming around TTH was soon after Tabitha left IIRC. But really, there are only seven kids under 18 left at TTH and only the four little girls would need much managing. Plus, they all appear to do most of their schooling online now. 

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I’m sorry, didn’t mean to offend, but according to this, it’s much more prevalent than you think. Arkansas actually rates highest among the 19 states that allow it, in use of corporeal punishment, with half the schools, containing about half the students, using it. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5766273/

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 5

On 2/6/2019 at 4:26 AM, Lurky said:

The weirdest thing about the TTH, to me, is that it would need major re-modelling to sell on, just because the set-up is so strange. 

Slight thread drift, but yes, I always thought this! Considering what a successful real estate guy JB allegedly is, that house is the worst investment one could ever make. Literally the ONLY person that would want to buy it would be one of their clan. Although, I guess since they don't actually believe that the boys need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and support themselves, I suppose gifting it to one of them is all but inevitable. Alright, never mind, answered my own question...

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

I have a lot of issues with Tebow and anybody associated with that disgusting swamp but the worst was the articles/fandom surrounding that he had been circumcising boys in the Philippines. You should have heard the old people at my church trying to brag about it. As someone whose family comes from a country where nobody gets circumcised because it’s 2019..I have major issue with calling this mission work!!!!!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 6

see, now Jana has this instagram, and it's the first time outside of a TH that we see something of Jana from herself. And it still feels somewhat curated, though more genuine feeling than, like, Jill. I do think she truly loves spending time with her family, but she also enjoys more freedom as an adult living at home that she did as a teenager. She gets to see her younger siblings all the time, and post proud-momma insta stories like of the Howlers singing at church looking all-grown-up, but also come and go day by day for whatever she wants, so long as the chores are done (which she has been doing for years and years). I bet to her it's just, same old routine, but better.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I've never believed that Jana is intentionally delaying marriage. She's always appeared pretty wistful when the topic of love comes up, and (maybe I'm projecting) but I see her more or less putting on a brave face when she discusses it.

What, then, explains her timeline? By all reliable indications, she's fairly devout in the cult, and in that world marriage is supposed to mean wifely submission. She seems like a reasonably bright, capable person, and she's certainly seen some shit in terms of what can go wrong in relationships. My read is that she isn't delaying because she doesn't believe, but rather she does believe so strongly in submission that she hasn't yet been able to find a Jim Bob-approved male worth submitting to.

Imagine how daunting it must be, trying to find someone who, after barely knowing them, you have to give total authority over your body and eternal soul. She's probably just being cautious about who she trusts with that responsibility. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

I've never believed that Jana is intentionally delaying marriage. She's always appeared pretty wistful when the topic of love comes up, and (maybe I'm projecting) but I see her more or less putting on a brave face when she discusses it.

What, then, explains her timeline? By all reliable indications, she's fairly devout in the cult, and in that world marriage is supposed to mean wifely submission. She seems like a reasonably bright, capable person, and she's certainly seen some shit in terms of what can go wrong in relationships. My read is that she isn't delaying because she doesn't believe, but rather she does believe so strongly in submission that she hasn't yet been able to find a Jim Bob-approved male worth submitting to.

Imagine how daunting it must be, trying to find someone who, after barely knowing them, you have to give total authority over your body and eternal soul. She's probably just being cautious about who she trusts with that responsibility. 

That makes sense. Although in her parents relationship it definitely seems Michelle is the neck that turns the head. Also, for all their MANY faults, JB and Michelle do seem to have a really good, loving, still in love-love marriage. That can be a lot to live up to, if that’s what she’s looking for. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

I have a lot of issues with Tebow and anybody associated with that disgusting swamp but the worst was the articles/fandom surrounding that he had been circumcising boys in the Philippines. You should have heard the old people at my church trying to brag about it. As someone whose family comes from a country where nobody gets circumcised because it’s 2019..I have major issue with calling this mission work!!!!!!!

1. Gross.

2. I have enough issues with a non medically qualified mohel doing circumcisions (I'm Jewish and I've decided that if I decide to have kids and have a boy, I will not circumcise); Tim Tebow is even less qualified to be cutting off bits of people's genitals. What the fuck! 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Surprised that she was allowed to have an account pre-courting. I wonder if Mam and Paps Doogerdumps noticed that it's kinda shitty for a nearly 30-year-old to not take part in social media, when all of her adult siblings are.

Then again, we don't know if she's had a very hidden private insta account. *shrugs* ... theeen again, you can see who people follow, so.

• Upvote 1

I think Jana being single is likely based on her being very, very quiet, perhaps perceived as a bit of a snob by others, and her limited exposure to men deemed appropriate per JB and M. Even at venues like Big Sandy and Journey, Jana would have had limited time to meet men. I am sure at Big Sandy Jana was far too be busy being the family cook, cleaner and babysitter to allow much time to meet and greet. No matter how you slice it, all the other girls had fewer responsibilities and were not relied on as much as Jana. 

• Upvote 6

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, DillyDally said:

Signed, 

An introvert

In the same chat didn't she respond that she was based in Indiana? 

16 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Slight thread drift, but yes, I always thought this! Considering what a successful real estate guy JB allegedly is, that house is the worst investment one could ever make. Literally the ONLY person that would want to buy it would be one of their clan. Although, I guess since they don't actually believe that the boys need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and support themselves, I suppose gifting it to one of them is all but inevitable. Alright, never mind, answered my own question...

They didn't pay for the whole house, it was partially payed by TLC and that's why the house plan is so weird, it was concieved as a TV set. JB is cheap, so probably the house was very economic considering its size and TLC help.

But anyway, they had 15 or 16 kids when they moved. I don't think it was designed as an investment. They needed room for an enormous group of people. A real house that big would have been a luxurious mansion they couldn' t afford. So they did what wasn't a financial investment but an investment in living a bit more comfortably. Remember that before that house, they lived in a tiny one with 2 bathrooms and a small sitting room. 

For many people.I know, buying or building a house is not an investment. It is just a way to cover their families needs.

In the future, the house can be used for conferences. Or as a restaurant for big groups (they could put tables in the yard). But I'm not sure about it, because I read that it looks nice on the videos but is located in an ugly area (industrial area if I recall right).

• Upvote 12

@SassyPants I can kind of understand that but Jill and Jessa were "picked" out by their spouses with them reaching out to Jimbob? Unless when Ben came to see Jessa at the church services they actually talked? Men could be hitting up Jimbob to want to court Jana and she's just saying no.

• Upvote 1

I think that Jana probably really loves the younger kids, and feels protective over them with the huge age gap. I think she likely enjoys being there for them and being a role model, and just hasn't found a guy who she thinks is good enough to leave the kids. It seems she's pretty deep in the koolaid and I doubt she sees her role as protecting them or as a substitute mom for Michelle, just as a loving big sister/SAHD.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic