IGNORED

Jana 8: Now with Instagram

Coconut Flan

If that was real - I'm actually more surprised that she addressed the question of whether she "likes girls that way" in a pretty mild way. I would have expected homophobia and defensiveness like many other evangelicals.

Maybe that's just the way Jana is? I don't really follow her but I could see a much more rabid reaction coming from other Duggars or Duggar-adjacent fundies.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I just went looking and found this in the comments of her most recent photo - it’s the same handle as the poster in the other image....

B98B5710-5494-460F-A187-DED4798A15AE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

This still makes me suspicious that the reply never actually existed, but I never believe anything I see on the internet without absolute proof now, haha.

Also because Duggars usually use 'courtship' to mean a more serious relationship and seem to announce courtships very quickly after they begin. But maybe Jana has some agency in that matter. That would be nice.

Not always. We didn’t know about Jill’s courtship until she was already engaged. The same likely would have been true for Jessa if Ben’s relative hadn’t let it slip that they were together. The comment didn’t say when the alleged relationships took place, so it’s possible she tried getting to know someone years ago when it would have been easier to hide it. 

• Upvote 14

Why the hell you ask a question like that to people like the Duggars unless you what to start stuff? Girl, bye.

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Not always. We didn’t know about Jill’s courtship until she was already engaged. The same likely would have been true for Jessa if Ben’s relative hadn’t let it slip that they were together. The comment didn’t say when the alleged relationships took place, so it’s possible she tried getting to know someone years ago when it would have been easier to hide it. 

That's true. The recent ones seems to happen at breakneck speed, but maybe this went down years ago. I still find it surprising that she would have "courted/dated" "a few" different guys and none of the relationships led to anything serious, none of them were ever announced, and no hint of any of them was ever dropped. If she really did post that comment, I suspect that she may be talking about shorter 'getting to know you' periods where they just talked for a while and things never panned out. I have no idea - that would just be my suspicion. It could be totally wrong. It's strange how incongruent it is with the rest of her siblings, though. Of course, more of them could have had multiple courtships that we never heard about, but it seems unlikely.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

13 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

This was not what I expected when I saw that the topic was hot.

Yeah same. I don't think I have ever clicked on a Jana thread, but I saw it was hot and figured she must be engaged or something.

• I Agree 1

I found another comment on that same post that refers to the comment:

6CB95049-A13E-46AE-8E0D-CF7048B503A1.thumb.jpeg.9d01cb7b6c0ef5fcf7d6650510450584.jpeg

It could still be photoshopped, but I’m really leaning towards it being real.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

57 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I don’t get why people straight up ask questions like that on their instagram. 

She confirmed she has had past relationships. I wonder if it was several or if she’s just making a generalization. 

B825A7AF-7E92-4DB4-9793-2A6077959D6F.jpeg

What ever happened to not giving away pieces of your heart?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

I think it's possible she just meant the getting to know phase but said "courtship"/"dating" (even included the quotes in her reply) because if the person was clueless enough to ask a Duggar if she's in a same sex relationship than she'd probably also be clueless to the nuances of their "dating" titles so Jana just went with something the girl (and general public) would understand.

Does that make sense or is my hunger making me type nonsense? ?

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 6

It was real. I screenshoted it myself ??‍♀️ But I agree it was worded weirdly

there are several screenshots on tumblr that were taken slightly differenly 

Spoiler

F363B678-CB4A-4511-8B24-1056E0769E18.thumb.png.3aff2a09c196bd79b5575a7a6ab44b45.png

Spoiler

277C00D9-4D07-4FE3-9FB0-FB061252F072.thumb.jpeg.5a0fd00e2ad24960a96baede375bb286.jpeg

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 12

When you ask a fundie girl a question like that no matter how passive and quiet she normally is it will set off a nerve and she may get what amounts to an attitude for her.In her mind She was just accused of being the worst kind of sinner and hell bound. Of course she reacts. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

Very interesting. I am inclined to agree with others who have said in this thread that she was probably referencing the “getting to know a special friend” period of time in the Duggar courtship model. Or maybe she did court someone and we just never knew because it ended before it could ever be announced. I’d love to know more about who she dated/courted/got to know.

I don’t think there’s anything about the way it was worded that was inconsistent with her personality. We’re seeing more and more on Counting On that she is probably not as shy  and meek as we all thought. She certainly has no trouble ordering people around while building projects/planning weddings. I think this type of “accusation” a sore spot for anyone in fundieland, but especially an unmarried girl in her late twenties with interests like building and woodworking that could be classified as “tomboyish” in their hyper-gendered world. 

• Upvote 24

The comment is gone. How does that make any sense? None have been serious but she has courted or dated a few?? That doesn’t even make sense to a heathen? I hung out with friends who were fundie and a courtship is a very serious relationship. It doesn’t mean you’re going to get married but it entails getting to know someone on a much more deeper level than the “get to know someone” phase the Duggars practice. 

As someone said above, it could be that she was upset and chose that language to mean that she’s got to know a few people. There’s no way that they were actual courtships, like with what we’ve seen in Jessa, Jinger, Joe, Josiah, etc. There’s a worlds of difference between the two. What the hell would she define as “serious”?? I don’t get it. 

Edited by AnnaRuk09
  • I Agree 1

"I 'heard' she was lgbtq" = "saw a couple trashy gossip rag headlines" and wanted a few moments of IG fame from it.

But if anybody in that family was able to do some getting to know potential partners work under the radar, Jana would be the one, so I wouldn't be wholly surprised if there was a disappointed young man or two in her past.

• Upvote 4

If Jana is PO’d at the questioning of her sexuality, the entity that she needs to place her anger towards is TLC/Figure 8. Those entities are the ones that have raised questions by highlighting the relationship between this family friend and Jana. Why did that need to be done? Other than people who were in committed relationships with a Duggar, their family members, or people who are in business relationships with a Duggar, how many other people have been featured on the Duggars’ shows or shown in a talking head? TLC/Figure 8, the Duggars employer, has set their workers up and provided fodder. While I do not necessarily support those entities tactics, all jobs come with downsides. If the price is too high, Jana can always find alternative means of support., obviously she is not bothered enough by the tactics to quit the job

• Upvote 7

But ”a few”? To me that is at least 3. And no one has heard anything about any of them? Did she murder them and bury them in her garden?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love if she was allowed to date, but it just sounds weirdly casual to me and the Duggars have not seemed very casual about courting before, lost heartpieces and all that. 

And ”I have no interest in girls that way” also sounds like such an unduggar answer. No bible verses about how sinful it is? Just ”nah, I’m not into girls, I’ve dated some guys”.

And if they kept all of these relationships so quiet before. Not a word about anyone ever having a past relationship that didn’t work out. Basically pretending that Marjorie never existed. Why did she suddenly come out with it like that? She could have easily just said that she’s not a lesbian and Laura is just a friend and that she’s still praying for the right guy. No need to throw in all the guys she ”dated” there.

Edited by Iamtheway
The verb bury was too hard for my tired brain.
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

They featured Sierra pretty heavily and she did talking heads during some of the wedding episodes. I think it was pretty similar to how they’ve featured Laura as she’s helped with weddings and such. Only difference is Sierra is married and multiplying, so no questions raised I guess ?‍♀️

• Upvote 12

I can actually see it. If I just look at myself, for example, I'm not a fundie, but if I try to frame my own dating life as a fundie would... I've only dated one person. But I've been in the 'getting-to-know-you' phase with more than a few others, for sure. So if Jana is using "courting/dating" as a stand-in term for "getting-to-know-you" it makes sense to me that she would have been in that phase with at least two or three different guys. If they never progressed to anything serious - just given what we know of fundie timelines in general - I'm guessing these "courtships" or whatever they were probably didn't last any longer than a few weeks.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7

4 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

They featured Sierra pretty heavily and she did talking heads during some of the wedding episodes. I think it was pretty similar to how they’ve featured Laura as she’s helped with weddings and such. Only difference is Sierra is married and multiplying, so no questions raised I guess ?‍♀️

Yes, as a person in a business relationship with the Duggars, but never as merely a friend, or along on a family overseas trip. I agree, it’s so weird. And hasn’t Laura denied being a Duggar employee?

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I can actually see it. If I just look at myself, for example, I'm not a fundie, but if I try to frame my own dating life as a fundie would... I've only dated one person. But I've been in the 'getting-to-know-you' phase with more than a few others, for sure. So if Jana is using "courting/dating" as a stand-in term for "getting-to-know-you" it makes sense to me that she would have been in that phase with at least two or three different guys. If they never progressed to anything serious - just given what we know of fundie timelines in general - I'm guessing these "courtships" or whatever they were probably didn't last any longer than a few weeks.

But why would she use those words ( courtship and dating) rather than friend or friendship as her family, as we have all been told ad nauseum, is different. They do not date. They use a model called courting, and courting is a relationship that is thought to lead to marriage. It has an explicit purpose per the Duggars. Why would Jana be confused and use the particular words courtship and dating, and with several guys? The language and reaction both seem so anti-Duggar. I would think at this point Jana would likely have heard it all and would be able to “water off a duck’s back” almost any comment.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But why would she use those words ( courtship and dating) rather than friend or friendship as her family, as we have all been told ad nauseum, is different. They do not date. They use a model called courting, and courting is a relationship that is thought to lead to marriage. It has an explicit purpose per the Duggars. Why would Jana be confused and use the particular words courtship and dating, and with several guys? The language and reaction both seem so anti-Duggar. I would think at this point Jana would likely have heard it all and would be able to “water off a duck’s back” almost any comment.

Courtship is going out of fashion in fundie circles nowadays. They generally like to 'date with a purpose'. I know we still hear Duggars talking about courtship, but I'm not at all surprised to see one talking about dating. They'll also use a lot of vague terms like 'in a relationship' or 'talking to' or 'becoming best friends'. Also, like someone else upthread said, Jana was replying to someone she would have assumed knew little or nothing about fundie courtship standards (because obviously only a heathen would think she was in a same sex relationship), so saying "courting/dating" could have just been her attempt to explain it in a way that she thought that person would understand.

• Upvote 17

You know the suspicious person in me says this sounds more like forthright  Jessa getting tired of people speculating about her sister.. maybe she got permission from Jana to answer back under her name.

• Upvote 3

Have we ever heard the Duggars use any verbiage other than “courtship” when referring to a new or ongoing relationship involving any of their adult children? I know the Bates have modernized their language, but I can’t remember this coming from a Duggar.

• Upvote 1

“Talking to” is more Southern vernacular than fundie speak. As a teenager and 20-something in North Carolina (I graduated high school in 2000), it was pretty normal to describe early stage relationships as “talking to” someone. This was before online dating and social media were “mainstream”, and most relationships still started as casual interactions through overlapping social circles. “Talking to” encapsulates the period when two people are interested in each other and seek each other out at events/classes/whatever but have not yet gone on a real date. It makes sense to me that current day fundies are using “talking to” instead of “getting to know.”

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

42 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Good point. I went back and realized that she put the words courting and dating in quotation marks, so her using them as stand-in words makes even more sense, to me at least. I mean, it has to be that. Otherwise it wouldn’t make any sense where she said they didn’t turn into anything “serious”. What else would fall into that category? Engagement? No, I don’t think she’s dumb. 

Honestly, It doesn't surprise me one bit that she’s been in the “getting to know you” phase a few times. She’s famous, beautiful and genuinely possesses many desirable traits fit for the conservative Christian world. 

Aaaannd of course the tabloids are already spinning this in an inappropriate way. Why can’t they just fuck off

Edited by AnnaRuk09
  • Upvote 8

18 minutes ago, mpheels said:

“Talking to” is more Southern vernacular than fundie speak. As a teenager and 20-something in North Carolina (I graduated high school in 2000), it was pretty normal to describe early stage relationships as “talking to” someone. This was before online dating and social media were “mainstream”, and most relationships still started as casual interactions through overlapping social circles. “Talking to” encapsulates the period when two people are interested in each other and seek each other out at events/classes/whatever but have not yet gone on a real date. It makes sense to me that current day fundies are using “talking to” instead of “getting to know.”

Yeah, it's not just a fundie thing or a Southern thing, people use this term up in Canada as well. But it is also one of the terms that Duggars use to describe early romantic relationships, aside from courting.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic