IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

On 4/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, miss_batson said:

Bump and Charleston trip update

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20190416_083700_553.jpg

I really didn't need to see Kelton's O face. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Mac and cheese goes with everything  in the South.  It's just the way it is. 

I’d argue that could be true anywhere. Mac and cheese is a delicious, delicious gift to the world. I was just really thrown by calling it a vegetable, but it makes more sense if vegetable is just used as a synonym for side dish in some areas.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’d argue that could be true anywhere. Mac and cheese is a delicious, delicious gift to the world. I was just really thrown by calling it a vegetable, but it makes more sense if vegetable is just used as a synonym for side dish in some areas.

Does everywhere have a Meat and Three thing? or is that just a Tennessee thing?  It's basically a lunch plate consisting of a meat dish and a choice of three sides.   Places that sell Meat and Threes also always sell a Vegetable Plate.  Mac and Cheese is always one of the vegetable choices.  Cracks me right up.  

• Upvote 9

We have mac n cheese with everything on Texas. Steak. Fish.  Cereal (joking, sort of) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Does everywhere have a Meat and Three thing? or is that just a Tennessee thing?  It's basically a lunch plate consisting of a meat dish and a choice of three sides.   Places that sell Meat and Threes also always sell a Vegetable Plate.  Mac and Cheese is always one of the vegetable choices.  Cracks me right up.  

I haven’t heard of this, but it sounds kind of cool. Up here (Connecticut) most places seem to offer either a side salad and side or a choice of two sides (like mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.) The fancier places usually have specific sides they offer with each entree. At one place we love I’ll get a filet that comes with mashed potatoes and asparagus. It’s beyond delicious. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water, but it’s made with a wine sauce so I won’t be having that for a while. 

• Upvote 2

We have a huge fish fry in my family every summer. Freshly caught crappie and catfish, hush puppies, fries, green beans, macaroni and cheese (I get volunteered to make my homemade kind). Good food and a good time.

ETA: I'm from Alabama

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I always thought it was on that list because it is a side dish and vegetarian (most of the time). I can't imagine anyone actually thinks it's a vegetable.

Although, my niblings school considering cheese pizza a vegetable so wtf knows.

• Upvote 2

LOL Australians are not ok with this apparently. I wondered after I commented, if its just me so i started asking and the looks and responses i get are freaking hilarious - we are officially horrified that you would pair a good piece of fish with this. America, you can keep your mac n cheese as a side dish. Enjoy! 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

54 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

I always thought it was on that list because it is a side dish and vegetarian (most of the time). I can't imagine anyone actually thinks it's a vegetable.

Although, my niblings school considering cheese pizza a vegetable so wtf knows.

Most of the vegetables are cooked with pork, so IDK if they'd truly count as vegetarian, but that does make sense. 

• Upvote 1

Mac and cheese with chicken I get, that's lovely soul food.. but with fish? Can't do it. :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

We have a huge fish fry in my family every summer. Freshly caught crappie and catfish, hush puppies, fries, green beans, macaroni and cheese (I get volunteered to make my homemade kind). Good food and a good time.

ETA: I'm from Alabama

How do you pronounce crappie there?  We pronounce it CRAW-pee here, and it's always fun when someone comes in from out of state or we hear it on TV pronounced "Crappy".

• Haha 2

Native South Carolinian here. Standard side dishes for most non-chain bbq/homestyle restaurants in the lowcountry are rice, slaw, butter beans or green beans, mac and cheese. You'll see collards or okra or cheese grits frequently, too. And hash in bbq joints, which is pretty much my favorite thing in the entire world. The mac and cheese in a seafood restaurant is a little weird, though. Maybe Kelton ordered off the kids' menu. :pb_lol:

I intended to kick off my mission to lose these last 5 pounds of baby weight today, but now this thread drift just has me fantasizing about fried fish and hushpuppies.

• Upvote 6

As a Yank, my arteries are clogging just from this conversation. But we also consider kale a real food. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

lmao, kale tastes like the dirt it came from xD.

i personally am more of the mac-and-cheese-is-the-whole-entree-nothing-else type of girl ?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

How do you pronounce crappie there?  We pronounce it CRAW-pee here, and it's always fun when someone comes in from out of state or we hear it on TV pronounced "Crappy".
We pronounce it crop-ee here.
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:
On 4/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, Flossie said:

We pronounce it crop-ee here.

New Englander here, we say "crappie" like " happy. "

But I'd rather have flounder.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I personally am more of the mac-and-cheese-is-the-whole-entree-nothing-else type of girl 

Cough cough... Dinner last night was homemade Mac and cheese from the Betty Crocker cookbook. 

• Upvote 8

On 4/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, Flossie said:

I’m not in the south and we say Croppy. 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Makes sense. She’s the only truly single female adult in that house to go help alyssa and John with their children. When Katie is married, that duty will fall on poor Ellie. Although maybe it will be Michael. 

Or Addallee.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2019 at 2:29 PM, QuiverDance said:

I only know of the meat and 3 thing because of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives!

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, HurricaneBells said:

LOL Australians are not ok with this apparently. I wondered after I commented, if its just me so i started asking and the looks and responses i get are freaking hilarious - we are officially horrified that you would pair a good piece of fish with this. America, you can keep your mac n cheese as a side dish. Enjoy! 

So this reminded me of something that happened recently.

We just got back from a cruise that left out of Sydney. There was one mom on board traveling with 3 boys that looked to be between the ages of 3 and 10. The younger two were all over the place, really giving mom a run for her money every chance they got. The older boy was always trying to help her keep up with the younger two. Anyway, one evening she was herding them onto the elevator and she was talking to the younger two telling them they needed to listen, etc.. and the older boy was just like look at me mom! I am behaving... well, they were just coming from the buffet area and he had two plates of food, one loaded with mac and cheese, a hot dog, chicken and fruit and the other packed with desserts. Mom just looked at him and told him "You are behaving but you look like an American tourist". Dh and I just busted up laughing (there may have been a few drinks involved) and Dh was just like... um...what's wrong with American tourists. She turned bright red and was apologetic but we really weren't offended. We used that line on our own kids later in the trip. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13

19 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

they were just coming from the buffet area and he had two plates of food, one loaded with mac and cheese, a hot dog, chicken and fruit and the other packed with desserts.

As far as I'm concerned, when a kid Buffet's are all about the dessert... When I was a kid there was a place called 'Sizzler' that had an all you can eat buffet type thing, once when we went there I had one or two places of mains, and 5 bowls of dessert... (You go back to fill up not get the food all at once though), my sister had something similar.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic