IGNORED

JinJer 47: Sparking J-O-Y

Georgiana

I think the fear of Gardasil is the mistaken belief that if you give your kid (especially a girl) this vaccine, you are advocating them being sexually active. Suddenly they get the vaccine and will run out and sleep with random strangers...... please. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fear of Gardasil started more as a reservation, since it seemed to just sort of jump onto the market without much information other than "you won't get cancer!" which seemed like too extreme of a claim to be real. I didn't have a doctor's appointment scheduled, and I didn't make one, but I wasn't exactly against it... just wanted to wait and see. 

A few weeks later a girl came to school with a knot on her head and a concussion, because she passed out and hit a chair on the way down just after getting the shot (she had never had this happen with other shots, or anything else involving needles, before). So that was a little scary. Then that summer I was waiting in the ER waiting room after being bitten by a dog, and I saw a young woman dragging herself through the automatic doors and across the floor, and when the nurses rushed over she barely choked out that she had gotten her first Gardasil shot earlier that day. 

So I was pretty happy I had decided to wait. After a few more years of more good (or at least indifferent) stories than bad, I sucked it up and got the shots and haven't had an issue.

Vaccines are good. 

My youngest son last year had his HPV & dTpa vaccines at school. He very nearly missed out on his second dose as he changed schools and they didn't have paperwork to give it to him. They frantically attempted to contact me and bring up the electronic records but they were experiencing problems. 

Luckily I was in a position to go to his school and sign a new consent form (I travel with work), however by the time I got there they had managed to get the system up and running and he was already done and dusted. The teachers were amazed at how calm he was during all of it.  He goes to a private school  so the thought of private schools being flooded by the children of anti-vax parents is horrifying!  

I remember getting a typhoid shot in school  (maybe several different ones) and, in 7th grade, getting a shot to prevent meningitis.  One of my friend's sister had died of spinal meningitis and so the the whole school was vaccinated.  At UGA, they had mass immunizations against swine flu and we went to the coliseum (AKA the Pregnant Oyster) to get our shots.  I also remember our entire family going to get the the Sabin oral polio vaccine.  IIRC, it was given at a gym at Clemson.

I think JinJer and JoKen vaccinate.  They had the most mainstream pregnancies plus Jinger and Jeremy travel a lot and don't want anything  tarnishing their thoroughly filtered and vetted perfect pastor's family vibe .  Benessa probably does because Ben is such a germaphobe.  Anna probably does whatever Michelle did.  Joy and Jill could be the wild cards. 

There are many fundies who vaccinate. Jim Bob and Michelle have never preached against vaccines. I blame the anti-vaccine movement on Jenny Macarthy and extreme "crunchy" types at least as much as fundies. 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, Carm_88 said:

My brother got the chicken pox at 7 and spread them to me, I was 13. He had a mild case and I was out of school for 8 days completely covered with chicken pox. On top of that, as I have mentioned before, I had my period to add to the misery. If I have kids I would get them vaccinated just to save them and me that type of misery! 

Oh gosh yes, there's some truth to the idea that it gets worse as you get older.

A fundie cousin of mine doesn't vaccinate. At one point, when they had five or six kids, someone brought home chicken pox and they all got it. The youngest, maybe a year or two old at that point, had one blister and was otherwise fine. The oldest, in her teens, was covered in pox and downright miserable for days.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:18 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Even though I got the series of shots for hepatitis B in the seventh grade, my titers came back that I wasn't immune to it and I needed the vaccinations again.

I had the same thing happen with Hep B - weird! I wonder if it's particularly prone to wearing off for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, freshlemonade said:

I think JinJer and JoKen vaccinate.  They had the most mainstream pregnancies plus Jinger and Jeremy travel a lot and don't want anything  tarnishing their thoroughly filtered and vetted perfect pastor's family vibe .  Benessa probably does because Ben is such a germaphobe.  Anna probably does whatever Michelle did.  Joy and Jill could be the wild cards. 

I wonder if Ben and Jessa vaccinate since I recall Ben’s sister Jessica posting something about being against vaccinating 

@Whatthefundie That doesn't surprise me, Jessica is a nutcase. I saw recently that she's engaged btw, so apparently she found some poor soul. ? But overall I think she differs pretty significantly from a typical Duggar lifestyle. She moved out while still a teenager, supported herself and finished police academy. I don't see her as a SAHM with 10 kids. She just seems like a crazy conservative (guns, 'murica, trucks)  who will buy into any far-right conspiracy that is currently trending. 

Here’s Jeremy waiting for this dude to retire so he can take over this celebrity church. (Karcashions attend sometimes as do others).  Then Jeremy the Great can be the one to unleash the word of God.  Unleash!!!!!! WTF. And then there’s that “look of love”.

Spoiler

5A804493-79C0-4C33-B881-969036BF723E.thumb.jpeg.4b2d0f4beba0324a92b381b2aede099b.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

I think Jeremy’s goal is a Hillsong or Zoe-esque celebrity cool trendy church.

I just enlarged your avatar so I could see it, you godless hussy!  I luv it!   ?

If Lori really wants to go viral, she'll stop being so heavy with the delete key.

Oh, so John Macarthur's been in ministry for 50 years? Lucky us. Note to Jeremy: there are churches out there for that have been spreading the gospel for oh 500 years and more. I really don't know how Jeremy reconcile the dissonance of their huge gap in the church timeline from Paul to thousands of years later when their magically true and Godly church comes on the scene.

Ben may still be provax even if Jessica is antivax. Jessica was very Pro Trump, while Ben stated he didn't vote for him. I hope they all vaccinate their children, especially Jill and Derick since they spent time in Central America.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Ben may still be provax even if Jessica is antivax. Jessica was very Pro Trump, while Ben stated he didn't vote for him. I hope they all vaccinate their children, especially Jill and Derick since they spent time in Central America.

I must have missed that. Ben Seewald really publicly stated he didn't vote for Trump in the last presidential elections?

On 2/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, libgirl2 said:

I think the fear of Gardasil is the mistaken belief that if you give your kid (especially a girl) this vaccine, you are advocating them being sexually active. Suddenly they get the vaccine and will run out and sleep with random strangers...... please. 

So maybe I have an exceptionally dark mind, but even when I was a teen I thought this was stupid because a girl can always be raped. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. With HPV being so common, why would you ever put your child at risk? But again, maybe my mind just goes to dark places that others' don't. 

In today's BEC, completely irrational anger news: I'm so annoyed that Jeremy is wearing a Phillies hat in a picture on Joy's instagram. I know he's from Pennsylvania, I know he was born in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area, but that is my team and I just want to reach into the screen and snatch the hat off his ugly head.

2 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

In today's BEC, completely irrational anger news: I'm so annoyed that Jeremy is wearing a Phillies hat in a picture on Joy's instagram. I know he's from Pennsylvania, I know he was born in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area, but that is my team and I just want to reach into the screen and snatch the hat off his ugly head.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. He's going to drag our good, pristine, impeccable name in the mud! 

(But seriously, I do agree). 

So apparently Jeremy's church moved into a new actual church building "today". They're not just in a converted house anymore. That's an interesting color-changing neon cross they've got there. I wonder if they actually have enough parishioners to justify the building? And whether it's just *their* building or if they're sharing with another group.

Am I the only one who dosen't like the neon color cross? I found it, I dunno like a lunapark attraction? Or something similar. It disturb me 

I have trouble believing that Jeremy is a full time pastor. He and Jinger are on the road constantly, and I can't imagine when he finds time to actually work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jinger gets annoyed with his constant attention seeking behavior.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived