IGNORED

John Shrader 17: Boring Poems and I know it was you, Fredo

samurai_sarah

22 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

I mean so does he actually just use the word ‘prayer’ for cold hard cash?

He absolutely does. He has done for years. John praying = $$$$$$$$eleventy. God doesn't  get a look in. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

John thanks his prayer warriors.

"To God be the glory alone."  None for the surgeons, nurses, and physical therapists.  None for whoever is paying for all John's treatment.  That is so precious and a real blessing for everyone who has helped with all of this.

If I prayed, I'd pray for John to show love and appreciation for all the medical staff who went to real universities and studied very hard for years in order to give him his medical miracle.

But to God be the glory alone.

This kind of thing makes me stabby.  Even if I believed in a higher power I would certainly not be given them ALL the glory.  

My surgery was life changing (I went from being bent over at nearly a 90 degree angle to being able to stand up relatively straight just for one thing) and I truly loved my surgeon.  He was a major part of our lives for years and he always took extra time to answer any questions we had and to make sure my care in the hospital was top notch.

When he passed away in 2017 I was devastated.  I cried for several weeks and I cried every time I went to the office to see the new dr I was assigned.  I felt bad for him because it has to be hard to know that you will never be able to fill your mentor's shoes.   I actually switched surgeons because a year later I still cried when going to the office, then the office manager would cry.  It was a mess.

I doubt John would blink an eye if he never saw any of the people that have given him a new lease on life.

I suppose the people paying for his expensive new back are probably equally religious so they aren't offended by all the glory being given to God.  I'd be pretty annoyed and rethink further donations if it was me.

He's just such a douche!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 7

Can someone please pray for me?  I just read John's latest and I'm trying not to puke.

On second thought -- just pass me a bucket.

Were you Praying for Missionary John Shrader's Back Surgery Wed. Aug. 21st?

This will be very encouraging for Esther and I, and quite possibly totally amazing!

Please comment below your Country or State if you were one of those praying for me (Please still list even if someone else has listed your Country or State, maybe add your City, or County/Province. This will be something Esther and I will read and re-read for encouragement many times in the days to come).

I'll start with a couple that are not on FB, but told me they were praying.

Please also share this post if you shared the prayer request. Facebook is used for so much that is wrong, so let this be a testimony to its ability to be used for good and to the Glory of God!

Again, words cannot adequately express how much your precious prayers have meant to Esther and I and our family. May the Lord bless you and keep each one of you, dearly beloved friends.

Bro. John Shrader

And it should be "Esther and me,"  Johnny, when you are the object not the subject of the sentence.

And Johnny.  Do not lead your humpers into temptation just because of your overweening conceit and need to boast about all the people praying for you.

Matthew 6:5-6 (KJV)

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

It is flawed theology too.  The prayers of many are not more effective than the prayers of one or two.  Other factors, like faith and belief, count too.  

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Facebook is used for so much that is wrong, so let this be a testimony to its ability to be used for good and to the Glory of God!

I'm sure this is true, but I imagine John thinks the wrongs are very different than the ones I think of.  While I'm not super into FB, I am in several FB groups that are absolutely amazing and supportive where people willingly give their time and advice free of charge solely to help other people.

They are some of the most positive (and if I'm being honest sometimes a little too "sweet" for me) and encouraging groups where it doesn't matter if you are the "right" kind of Christian.

Most of the groups I'm in are artsy crafty or pet related, but I know there are a lot of good support type groups on FB as well.   

• Upvote 9

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And it should be "Esther and me,"  Johnny, when you are the object not the subject of the sentence.

I wonder if John is one of those people who thinks that "I" always sounds fancier or more educated, somehow.

No, John, in this case, it is just wrong, and it always makes me think of Graziella and Velma, in West Side Story:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e9f06176-0c2d-468f-be5e-e99d5a24ef2e

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d8c4c6eb-826a-41f0-b83d-72a2e955ac3b

ETA -- although, even Graziella got the subject/object part right in those clips -- she just reversed the word order.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I am guilty of almost always using I when there is another person in a sentence because me sounds wrong to..me.   I'm sure I probably learned the proper use in school, but I have no recollection of it and only realized it after someone posted about it here a few years ago.

I'm not trying to be fancy or anything I just think "person and me" sounds weird.

Hopefully, if anyone notices me doing it wrong they gently point it out because I do like grammar and writing properly :) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Curious said:

I'm not trying to be fancy or anything I just think "person and me" sounds weird.

Hopefully, if anyone notices me doing it wrong they gently point it out because I do like grammar and writing properly

It is a pet peeve of mine.  But then I also wince when people (including me) split infinitives.  Split infinitives are acceptable in most style manuals these days.  Language is dynamic and changes with time.

I think I and me confusion is becoming a lot more common in speech.  I still wince at it in writing though.

This is how I taught the Boyer Sisters the correct usage.  No sentence diagramming necessary.  Just take out the other person.  Look at John's screed above.

This will be very encouraging for Esther and I.

Wrong.  "This will be very encouraging for Esther and me."

This will be something Esther and I will read and re-read for encouragement many times. 

Correct.  "This will be something Esther and I will read and re-read for encouragement many times."

I hope that helps.  :)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 2

John is doing what’s called a hypercorrection in linguistics. He’s overcorrecting, thinking he’s following some more formal set of grammar, when in actuality, he’s making mistakes in his attempt to be more formal.

This feature seems to crop up in a number of fundie posts. I think it’s a combination of lack of formal education (not that most places teach much grammar these days) and their insulated communities working as an echo chamber. Plenty of other fundies get subject and object mixed up when working with “I” or “me,” but they see/hear that done in their social circles and think it’s correct.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@apandaaries, as a linguist, have you also noticed an increase in nouning adjectives.  Not just among fundies, although they do it a lot. 

For example:  "I am bias." and "The children are discontent." 

It is driving me nuts. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@apandaaries, as a linguist, have you also noticed an increase in nouning adjectives.  Not just among fundies, although they do it a lot. 

For example:  "I am bias." and "The children are discontent." 

It is driving me nuts. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Absolutely. The bias/biased stuff drives me batty, yet I kind of love it when a noun becomes a verb (especially text for some reason). I keep trying to remember that language changes with time, location, and its users, but certain things make me want to tell the youngsters to get off my lawn. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

But then I also wince when people (including me) split infinitives. 

I have a sentimental fondness for split infinitives, as a Star Trek and Douglas Adams fan. ?

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/204911-and-all-dared-to-brave-unknown-terrors-to-do-mighty

But it is something I try not to wrongly do. :banana-drums:

Edited by thoughtful
Edited to remove extra emoji - I don't headdesk over my own goofy jokes, although perhaps I should!
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

Speaking of Fundyisms, for those who aren't following the Spanky Sprouls and their shenanigans, the much divorced Lisa has blessed us with a brand new Bible text:

What God has joined together, let man not turn to chunder.

And this gem has been on their Facebook for two days without being corrected!

• WTF 1
  • Haha 21
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, apandaaries said:

Absolutely. The bias/biased stuff drives me batty, yet I kind of love it when a noun becomes a verb (especially text for some reason). I keep trying to remember that language changes with time, location, and its users, but certain things make me want to tell the youngsters to get off my lawn. ?‍♀️

Ya'll sent me to the dictionary, which confirmed that I often use "discontent" incorrectly!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Pat gasp ...as I run here for news... Still none????

The Plonker Pastor is Pontificating on the Power of Prayer.

The Power of Prayer (don't miss the incredible recent testimony of one church at the end!)

We live in a day when many give lip service to the efficacy of Prayer, but often fail to live lives that are an indisputable testimony to the same.

My last post is a testimony to the fact that, all around the world, people were praying for my surgery. The responses are truly humbling to me dear friends. It's no wonder that it went better than expected, and all requested elements as prayed for. Minimal blood loss, able to be done all in one surgery, are just a few. As I've already mentioned, one of the two Therapists commented last Saturday, "It's obvious you have a lot of people praying for you."

When I was finally made aware of the immediacy of the danger I was in, middle of last month, and faced with a closing time frame, and not know what to do, much less when to do anything, I immediately turned to several very close friends the Lord has brought into my life. They went before the Throne of Grace in prayer with me, and despite this severe issue looming in my face, God gave me peace that night and until now.

As my wife and I began seeking the Lord and the multitude of counsel in the days to come, with many others praying for us, the Lord led us on a speedy and frankly amazingly incredible journey which ended in me being now one of only two people in the world to have received a THREE level disk replacement (at one time) procedure using the most unbelievable device (in my opinion, the greatest option in the world), from one of the greatest Spine Surgeons in the world (again, in my humble opinion). Most of their patients only receive one or two levels! You can read more about that on our page in the "Back to Africa Testimonies."

God CLEARLY has directed and answered SPECIFIC prayers!! Only HE can receive the Glory for that!!!

I want to close this post with an powerful present day illustration regarding corporate prayer that thrills my soul.

One of our supporting churches has had an on-going every-night prayer meeting for the last almost three months. That's right, three months! I believe they are finishing their eleventh straight week of nightly prayer this week.

I heard that there were more than 30 men connected to that church that had quit coming, fallen out, for some reason or another had quit coming to the church meetings. The church began specifically praying for these men along with other needs.

I received a testimony several weeks ago, that after two full months of nightly corporate prayer, ALL (or almost all) of those men were in church with their families the other Lord's Day! The place was packed!!

GLORY!!!!!!!!!

God wants to show Himself strong, but He needs men, women, and young people whose hearts are perfect toward Him, who are seeking His Face, trembling at His Word, and letting Him work in and through their lives.

God is a prayer-hearing and prayer-answering God.

His power has not diminished. His ability has not waned.

It is us who need to let God get ahold of us, so we can first get in tune with Him through His Word, then get in touch with Him through His Spirit as we pray according to God's Will, then watch Him glorify Himself through changed lives.

Are you tired of living a powerless Christian Life?

Are you tired of seemingly doing everything "right," and yet it seems God's Hand is not upon you?

I've been there. It's a terrible place to be.

Let's get right, get ahold of God, and get busy bringing Him all the Glory due unto His worthy, Holy Name!

Will you pray with me?

"Without ceasing"?

Selah.

Bro. John Shrader
Historic Biblical Baptist Missionary
Based in Zambia

John has made his Friends and Followers lists private on Facebook.  However he had well over 700 Friends at one point.

So I think getting only 228 comments and 22 shares on his last "look how many people all around the world were praying for ME, MISSIONARY JOHN SHRADER Eleventy!!!!111!!!!" post is testimony to the fact that he has lost quite a few faithful readers over time.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

New FJer here and long time lurker. Quick question, but does John and Esther's missionary "work" in Zambia seem to be coming to a close? Pa Shrader's church got a new guy and he is on to a new church. IF the new church drops him, then he may have no place else to turn. Unless another church falls for his con.

Plus, he claims he is getting, or has had, back surgery done. There could be complications and recovery time could take longer than he and Esther think. For some reason, I don't foresee John being okay with leaving Esther and the rest of their brood in Zambia without him for, what is to the Shraders, an extended period of time. 

Also, it looks like he and Esther are church shopping for Enoch to go to once he turns 18. What will happen when Alatheia (I think that is how you spell her name) turns 18? The Shraders believe that all daughters should live under their father's roof until they are married. Alatheia turning 18 can affect her Visa as she will be a legal adult and they may have no choice but to send her back. John and Esther could send her back to live with one of the fundie and devoted married Keller girls, Ma and Pa Keller, or Ma and Pa Shrader. Or they could have her participating in an online courtship right about now or this time next year, like Derrick and Jill Dillard, so that she has a husband lined up. But, due to John being "attacked by Satan" I wouldn't be surprised if the thought has crossed his and Esther's mind. 

I know this is long, but any thoughts?

• Upvote 5

Hi @NancyDrewFan1989, and welcome to Free Jinger.

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

9 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

New FJer here and long time lurker. Quick question, but does John and Esther's missionary "work" in Zambia seem to be coming to a close?

No.  John seems determined to go back.  Unfortunately.

Pa Shrader's church got a new guy and he is on to a new church.I  F the new church drops him, then he may have no place else to turn. Unless another church falls for his con.

Pa Shrader  is still the power at Tri-County Baptist Church.  Rick Shrader has semi-retired, that is all.  He's Pastor Emeritus.  Even though they brought in a new guy.  And Tri-County is still John Shrader's Sending Church where all donations are sent.

Plus, he claims he is getting, or has had, back surgery done.

John has had his surgery.

There could be complications and recovery time could take longer than he and Esther think.

We have been discussing this in detail on this thread.  It is a new and experimental surgery none of us are familiar with.  I believe we all think John is being over-optimistic about recovery time.  He was planning to be back in  Zambia by mid-September.

For some reason, I don't foresee John being okay with leaving Esther and the rest of their brood in Zambia without him for, what is to the Shraders, an extended period of time. 

I foresee John being OK with whatever suits his own needs.  But his plans have changed.  Again, this back surgery was not planned in advance.  The original plan was apparently to have John come back to the US (with Enoch and Timothy) for Daddy Rick's 40th anniversary at TCB.  And also to visit his other funding churches.  Then they would go back to Kafue and Esther return with Caleb, Isaiah, and Alatheia for her own furlough. 

We don't know what is happening now.

Also, it looks like he and Esther are church shopping for Enoch to go to once he turns 18.

Where are you seeing this?  John's plans for the children after they are 18 have not been discussed on his public Facebook posts.  John and Esther visit and correspond with donating churches as a matter of fundraising.  Enoch will not turn 18 until January 2021. 

What will happen when Alatheia (I think that is how you spell her name) turns 18?

Alatheia is only 15.  But yes.  They children will need individual Visas if John wants them to stay in Zambia after they turn 18.  And goodness knows what John and Esther are thinking about their futures. 

But, due to John being "attacked by Satan" I wouldn't be surprised if the thought has crossed his and Esther's mind. 

Exactly. The Shraders are not known for advance planning.  It is always about where God is leading them John's latest selfish whim.  But when his lack of planning gets him into trouble then it is invariably an attack by Satan.

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Then they would go back to Kafue and Esther return with Caleb, Isaiah, and Alatheia for her own furlough. 

Am I the only one that gets the vapors at the thought of John being fully responsible for the children when Esther and the other kids are in the US?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Curious said:

Am I the only one that gets the vapors at the thought of John being fully responsible for the children when Esther and the other kids are in the US

No.  But it has happened before.  Esther went back to the States in November with Alatheia and the latest sprog at the time (Stephen?) a few years ago.  She was gone for a good month.

John posted a long whine on FB about having to eat a store-bought chicken sandwich for Thanksgiving dinner that year all by his little lonesome self.  We all wondered who the heck was looking after all the other children and what they had for Thanksgiving dinner.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

They all had chicken butties OR John is lying - they all had dinner provided by a local family/ church ladies who came to cook for them THEN John ate his buttie. Because he is greedy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Hi @NancyDrewFan1989, and welcome to Free Jinger.

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

No.  John seems determined to go back.  Unfortunately.

Pa Shrader  is still the power at Tri-County Baptist Church.  Rick Shrader has semi-retired, that is all.  He's Pastor Emeritus.  Even though they brought in a new guy.  And Tri-County is still John Shrader's Sending Church where all donations are sent.

John has had his surgery.

We have been discussing this in detail on this thread.  It is a new and experimental surgery none of us are familiar with.  I believe we all think John is being over-optimistic about recovery time.  He was planning to be back in  Zambia by mid-September.

I foresee John being OK with whatever suits his own needs.  But his plans have changed.  Again, this back surgery was not planned in advance.  The original plan was apparently to have John come back to the US (with Enoch and Timothy) for Daddy Rick's 40th anniversary at TCB.  And also to visit his other funding churches.  Then they would go back to Kafue and Esther return with Caleb, Isaiah, and Alatheia for her own furlough. 

We don't know what is happening now.

Where are you seeing this?  John's plans for the children after they are 18 have not been discussed on his public Facebook posts.  John and Esther visit and correspond with donating churches as a matter of fundraising.  Enoch will not turn 18 until January 2021. 

Alatheia is only 15.  But yes.  They children will need individual Visas if John wants them to stay in Zambia after they turn 18.  And goodness knows I what John and Esther are thinking about their futures. 

Exactly. The Shraders are not known for advance planning.  It is always about where God is leading them John's latest selfish whim.  But when his lack of planning gets him into trouble then it is invariably an attack by Satan.

Thanks for the welcome. I thought that Pa Shrader was out at Tri-County church and that is why he was there begging for donations. 

I had a feeling that the surgery was not planned in advanced. But, it doesn't shock me that John wants to go back to Zambia. I thought Alatheia and Enoch were older. I was speculating about John "church shopping" for Enoch so he had a place to go if John and Esther were okay with returning to the states full time once he turned 18. The fact he brought Enoch over with him made me think he was planning ahead for once in his life for his children. 

• Upvote 4

The day John plans ahead for anyone other than him Hell will freeze over despite climate change. He dragged his pregnant wife and young kids to Zambia in June 2014 despite having NOWHERE for them to stay. He then sat in the airport (no A/C) and wept!! The airline stewards helped then find accommadation in a hotel for the first few night whilst John ran round trying to sort things. He is truly a complete arsehole. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

The day John plans ahead for anyone other than him Hell will freeze over despite climate change. 

LOL!!! I don't think Satan has been shopping for a winter coat. 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

LOL!!! I don't think Satan has been shopping for a winter coat. 

Satan won't need a fur coat. John will not change for anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic