IGNORED

John Shrader 17: Boring Poems and I know it was you, Fredo

samurai_sarah

Ugg. These people are stupid. They use this passage to show how Christians should be 100% obedient to God but hate it when other religions use the same passage. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I'm sensing that John's surgery is going to usher in a new chapter in the Shrader saga.  I just don't see him going back to Zambia. 

That said, I'd originally assumed they'd never last in Zambia and at least one or two of the kids would die there, so neither of those things have come to pass. 

I sincerely hope John's surgery is successful and he has a complete recovery, because otherwise Esther will have to care for a partially disabled John and 12 children. 

As the Shrader World Turns. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Invite them more than once, they believe, it is a shame to accept any first invitation.

I guess it's possible that in some cultures, the etiquette is to refuse a first invitation, but I've never run into this when inviting any of my Muslim friends anywhere.  It's almost like there's not a single monolithic Muslim culture any more than there's a single monolithic Christian culture.  I realize this may be difficult for John to grasp.

Give them witness what God has done for you. The love of God. The answers you found in Christ. They don’t know the Love of God and they have no answers.

So be kind, be an aggressive witness

Because there's nothing anyone likes better than being invited for a cup of coffee, only to be preached at and told your religion is wrong and that you don't know God's love.  There's juuuust a slight chance that this is why John's invitations get refused.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

So who is taking care of the middle kids once Esther brings a couple little kids to the US? 

Our newest mystery! Who could be holy enough in unsaved, sub-Saharan Africa to watch the Shraderlings? Will they really leave them in Zambia while papa John deals with back surgery? Will the whole brood come home? Does John even notice his children enough to contemplate that others might be concerned about their welfare?

Who knows?! This is Just The John Show. We don’t speak of the extras. ?

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2019 at 12:13 PM, FullOfGravy said:

I guess it's possible that in some cultures, the etiquette is to refuse a first invitation, but I've never run into this when inviting any of my Muslim friends anywhere.  It's almost like there's not a single monolithic Muslim culture any more than there's a single monolithic Christian culture.  I realize this may be difficult for John to grasp.

Because there's nothing anyone likes better than being invited for a cup of coffee, only to be preached at and told your religion is wrong and that you don't know God's love.  There's juuuust a slight chance that this is why John's invitations get refused.

Seriously this whole 'invite them to coffee and preach at them' thing made me sad. Invite them to coffee and wish them a happy Eid or similar, or get to know each other, yeah fine. But this is why John and his ilk depress me so much - they see everything in such black and white.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Another big mystery.  Who is footing the bill for John's surgery? Is there some kind of missionary insurance that pays for these emergency medical trips to the US and for the surgery?

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I’m trying to imagine the epic rants we would read if an equally pompous and self-righteous Muslim man invited John out for coffee on a day John considers holy and tried to convert him.

I think it would end with both of them screaming at the other . John would enjoy feeling persecuted and hard done by. I would feel sorry for the other patrons of the coffee place but hope that someone would record it and put it on YouTube.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, FullOfGravy said:

I hate to be a party pooper, but that one interesting part of Johnny-boy's sermon was... wrong.  I don't know about clay pots and the mending thereof (I can see wax working for storage pots, though if they're cooking pots, I feel like it might not be the best choice?), but the word sincere does not derive from the Latin for "without wax".

Crackpot, in the sense in which it applies to John, seems to come from a pot, waxed or otherwise, being used as a metaphor for the head.

Thank you for clearing that up. I don’t know where that story started, but it’s a favorite among fundies. I’ve heard it at least two other times, once with and once without the “crackpot” addition. 

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

Thank you for clearing that up. I don’t know where that story started, but it’s a favorite among fundies. I’ve heard it at least two other times, once with and once without the “crackpot” addition. 

I had never heard the claim that "sincere" meant without wax before.  If it is a common Fundie myth that is interesting.  https://www.etymonline.com/word/sincere

sincere (adj.)

1530s, "pure, unmixed," from Middle French sincere (16c.), from Latin sincerus, of things, "whole, clean, pure, uninjured, unmixed," figuratively "sound, genuine, pure, true, candid, truthful," of uncertain origin. The ground sense seems to be "that which is not falsified." Meaning "free from pretense or falsehood" in English is from 1530s.

There has been a temptation to see the first element as Latin sine "without." But there is no etymological justification for the common story that the word means "without wax" (*sin cerae), which is dismissed out of hand by OED and others, and the stories invented to justify that folk etymology are even less plausible. Watkins has it as originally "of one growth" (i.e. "not hybrid, unmixed"), from PIE *sm-ke-ro-, from *sem- "one" (see same) + root of crescere "to grow" (from PIE root *ker- (2) "to grow"). De Vaan finds plausible a source in a lost adjective *caerus "whole, intact," from a PIE root meaning "whole."

The "crackpot" addition was mine own.  From the same source:

crackpot (n.)

"mentally unbalanced person," 1898, probably from crack (v.) + pot (n.1) in a slang sense of "head." Compare crack-brain "crazy fellow" (late 16c.). Earlier it was used in a slang sense "a small-time big-shot" (1883), and by medical doctors in reference to a "metallic chinking sometimes heard when percussion is made over a cavity which communicates with a bronchus."

I love words and their origins. :)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

John is getting his surgery in a British Oceanic Territory. I don't know why he would go there instead of having it in the US. Cost maybe?

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Meeka said:

John is getting his surgery in a British Oceanic Territory. I don't know why he would go there instead of having it in the US. Cost maybe

Why he would go where?  There is no such thing as a "British Oceanic Territory."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Why he would go where?  There is no such thing as a "British Oceanic Territory."

Maybe he means British Indian Ocean Territory?  But that doesn't make any sense...it's in the middle of the IO and mostly a wildlife conservation area.  The biggest island is Diego Garcia...and he ain't going there.  There wouldn't be any facilities in BIOT for that type of surgery.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Maybe he means British Indian Ocean Territory?

Exactly. Perhaps he is going to a Commonwealth country.  Canada needs to watch out.

But here are the 14 British Territories, Oceanic or not.  

1. British Antarctic Territory - No permanent population

2. Falkland Islands

3. South Sandwich and the South Georgia Islands - Population: 30 

4. Turks and Caicos Islands - Lovely place for a vacation

5. Saint Helena, Saint Ascension, and Tristan da Cunh

7. Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia

8. The British Virgin Islands- Lovely place for a vacation

9. Anguilla- Lovely place for a vacation

10. Montserrat - Lovely place for a vacation

11. Bermuda - Lovely place for a vacation

12. British Indian Ocean Territory - Conservation land

13. Pitcairn Islands - Population: 51

14. Gibraltar - John can convert the apes.

Of course all the above must have  Fundie hospitals and Christian Surgeons with 132 years of experience who will do Johnny's surgery cheap.  If not for free!

John is a liar!  And not a good one.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

I thought the surgery in a "British Oceanic Territory" thing was weird, too. Even weirder is that he's calling it that, instead of naming it. I'm going to guess Bermuda. Maybe saying he's going to sunny Bermuda for surgery wouldn't bring in as many donations as keeping it mysterious? So he flies from Houston to Bermuda, has surgery, recuperates for 10 days or so, then flies back to Houston? Is he going to be able to sit on a plane 10 days after back surgery? I doubt it. I hope Esther and the kids (and Zambia) enjoy their vacation from John.

EDIT: On second thought, looking at a map, the Cayman Islands would be much closer to Houston. But still, why be so secretive about the locaton?

Edited by snickerz
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

These people are ridonculous.  Why would he be leaving a *major* US city for complex surgery in a 'British Oceanic Territory'?  There is medical insurance available for missionaries...did he choose to not purchase a policy?  You'd think proof of insurance would be required for legit missionaries.  And as previously mentioned, 10 days from surgery to getting back on a plane makes zero sense.  My co-worker is getting major back surgery in Sep, but has two in-person pre-op consultations beforehand...she would be refused the surgery if she was just flying 'in and out'.  So many questions, john...

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

legit missionaries.

Well......this IS John. Legit is not a word often used to describe him unless it is while saying "legit, scamming asshole."

My thoughts. John couldn't find an American surgeon who would do it cheap. He is flying to Mexico for the cheapest surgery he could find, but that doesn't sound good to him so he made up a vague, non-existent place that his followers are going to believe without actually doing any research. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Dumb question since I don’t regularly follow the Schraders...is John affiliated with a mission board?  I know his father’s church is their sending church, but...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Dumb question since I don’t regularly follow the Schraders...is John affiliated with a mission board?  I know his father’s church is their sending church, but...

No. John is only affiliated with himself. His original sending church dropped him and he lost some of his original supporting churches. Daddy Shrader has been the only thing keeping him in Zambia. He always manages to find money for John. John is pretty fucked if his dad dies or is retired. I doubt the new guy will put so much effort into making sure John has an ice maker, the chips he likes and new toys when he gets bored. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

John used to be.  He got dropped by the mission board at the same time as his original Sending church (Valley Baptist) fired him. 

Shrader funds used to be funneled through GIBM (and you can still see David Rea and family in their Rogues Gallery.)  http://gibmission.org/missionary/  Now donations for the Shraders are made to Tri-County Baptist church.  GIBM recommends but does not require missionaries to have health insurance.  John depends on the Lord's Provision.

Rea's latest prayer letter is public.  He's so much less dramatic than John but also poisonous.  No wonder they teamed up originally.  Rea managed to convict a couple of JWs because he happened to have a "JW bible-like-object (New World Translation) in my car… just in case."  And their oven broke, the car engine broke, and he is having to make his own building blocks.  "A church in Oregon bought us a concrete block machine."

Rea does at least credit the people who give him things, unlike John Shrader.  All Shrader's grifts come from God.

http://rea.teamzambia.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/July-2019.pdf

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

Thanks guys, I figured he was ‘independent’ since there seems to be zero oversight of or accountability for his actions.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Thanks guys, I figured he was ‘independent’ since there seems to be zero oversight of or accountability for his actions.  

Yes, it's part of what I consider John's personality disorder.  He cannot get along with, take advice from or be overseen by anyone and is becoming more extreme (pure, in John's mind) in his beliefs. 

ETA: Plus, he's an ass. 

I wonder if John is going to some kind of surg-cation destination.  Someplace that specializes in relatively inexpensive surgery with excellent follow up care in a lovely spot. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

John used to be.  He got dropped by the mission board at the same time as his original Sending church (Valley Baptist) fired him. 

Shrader funds used to be funneled through GIBM (and you can still see David Rea and family in their Rogues Gallery.)  http://gibmission.org/missionary/  Now donations for the Shraders are made to Tri-County Baptist church.  GIBM recommends but does not require missionaries to have health insurance.  John depends on the Lord's Provision.

Rea's latest prayer letter is public.  He's so much less dramatic than John but also poisonous.  No wonder they teamed up originally.  Rea managed to convict a couple of JWs because he happened to have a "JW bible-like-object (New World Translation) in my car… just in case."  And their oven broke, the car engine broke, and he is having to make his own building blocks.  "A church in Oregon bought us a concrete block machine."

Rea does at least credit the people who give him things, unlike John Shrader.  All Shrader's grifts come from God.

http://rea.teamzambia.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/July-2019.pdf

Lmfao that one of those missionaries can be reached at “babyjeffery2@__.com”. I IMMEDIATELY thought of “baby Jeffrey” from The League. Also the guy’s name is not Jeffrey so what could that email possibly be in reference to? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

So dude's parents live in Houston... home of several world-class hospitals... and he's going off to some rinky-dink island clinic for major back surgery and then planning to fly transatlantic to a small African country to recuperate with his 11 children?   Okay then.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, Gobsmacked said:

I certainly don't wish horrible things to happen to a fellow back sufferer-even John Schrader. HOWEVER John should not return to Zambia. It isn't fair on Esther. He will physically not be able to do much for weeks after his op. The op will hopefully eleviate the worst of his  symptoms. If John's spine is as badly damaged as he says then he will never  recover 100% . He will have lasting stiffness even with the best Physio. Sadly over time his vertebrae will deteriorate despite the best care. Sadly that's a given. Driving will be difficult during the first months of recovery even with an automatic vehicle.  Sitting in a driving position and bumping over the side and back roads of Zambia will be painful. ( I know-personal experience, but only for three weeks and that was 10 years post, not newly post -op).

This is part of the reason I'm calling shenanigans on John saying that his back pain has been excruciating for 30 years. I had serious back surgeries at 14 and 16, with residual pain. I can safely say that most of my major decisions over the past 22 years have, in some way, involved taking my bad back into consideration. For example, my career choices, the places I've chosen to live, the vehicles I drive, my hobbies, etc. If he was truly in this much agony, he would not have moved to Zambia. It's ridiculous to think he didn't consider things like being in more pain because of travel, bumpy roads, physical labor, etc. Has he ever mentioned his back before this? Because I don't recall him doing so. His back seemed healthy enough for him to spend a year deputizing--driving for days on end and living in basements and pop-up campers. It was also apparently healthy enough for him to travel extensively in Zambia, do manual labor building structures, dig wells, and have a chicken farming operation. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, countressrascal said:

John-boy's back is really that bad-no surgeon is going to medically release him the travel for at least 6-8 weeks, that is if there are no issues or they find something more during the surgery. He should be on limited activity for at least 12-18 weeks, I know he is doing that now. With back surgery it will be a lot limiting. Once again he is full of shit.

Yeah, this struck me too. Even if he WAS medically released, holy shit that's a painful-as-fuck sounding journey that he would be in absolutely no shape to make after two weeks. Especially since this is apparently a high-risk surgery. 

I just get this feeling that he has absolutely zero idea what he's in for with back surgery and how painful and limiting this is going to make his life for a long time. Everyone better brace themselves for a lot of shitty, self-indulgent poetry that compares his pain to the suffering of Christ, because we all know that's how this man rolls. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic