IGNORED

John Shrader 17: Boring Poems and I know it was you, Fredo

samurai_sarah

"Very little is known of the religions and cultures we go into" (paraphrasing because my paste didn't work).

Seriously here? Given the level of ignorance of this mob they could parachute into Sydney Harbour and claim they were entering a new, irreligious, and entirely undiscovered culture. And for them that would in fact be true - their worldview barely extends past their back fence and I suspect even parts of their own country would be terrifyingly unfamiliar territory to them.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Seriously here? Given the level of ignorance of this mob they could parachute into Sydney Harbour and claim they were entering a new, irreligious, and entirely undiscovered culture.

I expect they are.  But not parachuting - business class on planes at the very least. 

There were some IFB missionaries to Revere, MA, a few years ago.  Their shock at the local culture and their various antics had me in fits of laughter for months.  Sadly, they shook the dust off their sandals and went back home when they failed to get a single convert to their cause after one whole year.

And I just discovered some missionaries to Dublin, Ireland.  Must research!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

And I just discovered some missionaries to Dublin, Ireland.  Must research!

If I was going to be a "missionary" I could see Dublin being high on my list. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

There were some IFB missionaries to Revere, MA, a few years ago

Omg please give me information on this! I live very close and am very familiar with Revere, MA. This would provide me with endless entertainment! ?

• Upvote 8

My favorite missionaries were the ones who were heading to Atlanta, GA. Yes, go to the middle of the Bible Belt to preach the gospel, it isn't like there are churches everywhere! 

• Haha 21
  • Love 1

Jody Hodnett ( lockerbies very own American missionary), has found a new room for his church - above a shop. He has also lost lots of weight. He has posted his old and new driving licence photos for comparison. He looks quite scary now he is thinner!! (Sorry Dinosaurs can't post pics.)

One can only presume he has managed to sell his old books for a good price to pay for the family's visa renewal. ( said in my best Nurse Trixie voice. I'm binging call the midwife on Netflix). 

Edited by Gobsmacked
Added a bit
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, Leenie said:

Omg please give me information on this! I live very close and am very familiar with Revere, MA. This would provide me with endless entertainment! ?

I just tried to find their blog for you and failed dismally.  Of course it would help if I could remember their name.  It was probably 2014- 2015ish.  I''m pretty sure I found them through GIBM.  http://gibmission.org/missionary/

(Oh, look! Adam & Diane Riviero are trying to convert Boston in Easton, MA! They have a church and a FB account.  http://www.mylibertybaptist.org/#)

The missionaries to Revere experienced massive culture shock. They were quite young and shocked (shocked I tell you!) at the massive heathen statue at the Don Orione home.  I think someone told them it was a good place to give out tracts.   As for Revere Beach and the lack of modest swimwear and satanic music - they tried to hand out tracts and fliers there too.   

They ended up mostly targeting tourist restaurants.  And I got the distinct impression that the local youth were deliberately taking the piss out of them.  They kept promising to come to Bible study, and then either blew them off or turned up with alcohol "expecting a party!" :laughing-rollingred:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Jody Hodnett ( lockerbies very own American missionary), has found a new room for his church - above a shop. He has also lost lots of weight. He has posted his old and new driving licence photos for comparison. He looks quite scary now he is thinner!! (Sorry Dinosaurs can't post pics.)

Goodness me!  Jody has lost weight.  Good for him.  (This dinosaur can't figure out how post  pics from FB either.)

He's right too: 

Jody Hodnett Sr. xxxxxxx yes sir. My lifestyle took a drastic turn from fast food and driving for hours on end to eating healthier home cooked meals (mostly) and walking at least 30 minutes a day (most days). I am healthier now than I have been in years! I didn’t gain the weight overnight and I can’t expect to lose it overnight.

I want to know why he got the boot from the community centre, but his new digs look reasonable.  And he is delighted to have had 13 people at church.  I don't think he is much into Lordship Salvation.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

John has written another poem. It seems to be all about poor him and how people have forgotten him. I didn't actually read it, just skimmed. It seems he feels like he isn't as appreciated as he should be. 

"Don't Get Jaded Missionary"

Don't get jaded missionary,
In the race we're called to run
Bored and tired worn and wearied,
With the burdens that do come

Don't forget on deputation,
How we gave impassioned pleas,
Helping Christians in the churches,
Catch our burden see the need

Oh so many long miles traveled,
Some rooms nice some roach motels
But each test that came was worth it,
Just to rescue one from hell

Finally reaching fields of service,
Found the Devil waiting there
Constantly we've met resistance,
Heavy burdens few can share

Satan loves when one discouraged,
Calls it quits and packs it in
Leaves the field and leaves the lost ones,
Still benighted in their sin

Oh dear friend the way grows weary,
Trials come and foes assail
But we must not lose our focus,
When attacked by "gates of hell"

Keep abiding in Christ resting,
Let His Spirit fill and flow
Forth from you like living rivers,
As Christ says so all may know

When a single soul repenteth,
Heaven rings with joy's delight
That another one's surrendered,
To God's Righteousness and Life

Now Redeemed by the Blood of Jesus,
Will forever praise His Name
And we will rejoice together,
For each soul from sin reclaimed

Don't get jaded missionary,
Though at times you're tempted sore
Just by Faith look ever forward,
Eternal Glories forevermore!

Bro. John Shrader
Biblical Historic Unaffiliated Baptist Missionary
Zambia

Jan. 29, 2019

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 15

He's feeling persecuted again.  Perhaps he's tempted to "pack it in."

It never seems to occur to John that he isn't persecuted by his friends or attacked by Satan.  People just tell him when he is wrong, and when you make foolish decisions there are consequences.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

I notice he is dropping clues that he is bored with the missionary life ( third line in)!

Im amazed he has stuck in as long as he has given his past 'work' history. 

• Upvote 13

4 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Im amazed he has stuck in as long as he has given his past 'work' history.

I think he has only stuck it out this long because he knows his only other alternative is coming back to America and getting a job. He isn't a job type person. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

This is what comes from growing up in Texas, where there are lots and lots of roaches: Blackflag Roach Motel 61009 (12x2 pack total of 24 small boxes)

John is bored out of his mind; he's a total, abysmal failure as a missionary; printing gospel tracts is useless; he doesn't have a new project to fail at, so this is a plea to SEND THE DAMN SNACKS AND MONEY, BECAUSE SATAN!  AND NEW TROOPIE/TOYOTA STATE because last new car is 6 YEARS OLD and we're going BEYOND. 

Wonder what fresh hell Bro. Theophil is experiencing today at the Fresh Hell Compound in Kafue and Beyond.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Wonder what fresh hell Bro. Theophil is experiencing today at the Fresh Hell Compound in Kafue and Beyond.

Some part of me hopes that young Theo is drowning his sorrows while propping up the bar in a local drinking hole.

And this is bloody rude and ungrateful of John.  I remember reading his deputation thread and a whole lot of the time they were on the road they were staying in church basements, at people's nice houses, and gobbling down many big donated meals.  Like three different "last" Thanksgiving dinners.  They did have the pop-up trailer but the kids slept in that far more often than John and Esther.  

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

@Howl,  those raoch motels were only good for the small German cockroaches.  Palmetto bugs would run right through.  They were not deterred in the slightest.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Palmetto bugs

Holy Moly.  :faint:

Warning for other innocents - do not google if you are not keen on giant creepy crawlies.

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Holy Moly.  :faint:

Warning for other innocents - do not google if you are not keen on giant creepy crawlies.

And they fly!

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

And they fly!

Oh dear Lord.  

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Howl,  those roach motels were only good for the small German cockroaches.  Palmetto bugs would run right through.  They were not deterred in the slightest.  

I know.  There are a few of those Palmetto bugs in my bathrooms, although in this house I have never seen one of the little ones.  They are brazen. 

I had a housemate in my distant past who would take dead Palmetto bugs, dress them up in little uniforms, and pose them in the the Roach Motel for pics. 

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 25
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I know.  There are a few of those Palmetto bugs in my bathrooms, although in this house I have never seen one of the little ones.  They are brazen. 

I had a housemate in my distant past who would take dead Palmetto bugs, dress them up in little uniforms, and pose them in the the Roach Motel for pics. 

Part of me wants to know where she got the uniforms... the rest is trying to be sensible and stay ignorant.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Inky said:

Do palmetto bugs bite though? Or just defecate all over? Or is it just that they're so big?

They don't bite...at least I've never heard of them biting.  They are "just so big", and they move really fast.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic