IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 13: Drift, Duggars, Drift (Miscarriage Content Warning)

Jellybean

I’m not trying to call anyone out here at all, but if it comes up during a miscarriage discussion in the future then could people maybe consider posting comments about abortion behind a spoiler? I understand drift happens, but miscarriage is already a pretty sensitive topic for many people and comments concerning abortion could be upsetting for some people even if it’s somehow relevant to the discussion. 

And, again, I’m not trying to call anyone specific out, but I’d also like to request that people please respect that different people will have different reactions to their losses and that’s ok. For some people an early loss isn’t something they’d struggle with much, but for others (like me) it can be a legitimately devastating experience. There is no right or wrong way to react to a loss. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

For some people an early loss isn’t something they’d struggle with much, but for others (like me) it can be a legitimately devastating experience. There is no right or wrong way to react to a loss. 

Exactly. A few people have commented that miscarriages weren't devestating for them, which is a totatlly valid response, or that they don't see it as a child, which again, totatlly valid. But it's also valid if you are devestated or if you do see it as a child.

I mean, I'm very pro-choice politically, but if I ever have a miscarriage (I haven't started trying yet, so I have no idea what my experience will be like)  I'll probably view it as a lost baby. I don't think it's wrong to think that way either, or to give it a name. Everyone reacts differently, and mourns differently. It's not just fundies or pro-life people. 

I hope Lauren is being honest about sharing, because I do agree that it isn't acknowledged. Sure, people on the Internet discuss it, and on forums, but not publically. There's still a social taboo that it's oversharing or that women should deal with it in private. It's like when discussions come up about announcing too soon--well, there isn't a "too soon." Some women might want to share, no matter the outcome. And others might want to keep it private. There's no right way, but women should feel more comfortable to be honest if that's what they want. 

Slight spoilers for Michelle Obama's book:

Spoiler

I'm reading Michelle Obama's book, and she talks about her miscarriage. It was encouraging to hear from a woman in such a position of power/influence open up about that. She says she did it (like Lauren, allegedly cuz I don't trust TLC) because it's not talked about enough. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

A few pages back somebody commented that Lauren looks like a Disney princess. I'm seeing Belle (based on the original animated Belle, not Emma Watson).

Now I'm imagining Duggars as Disney characters.

Jeremy is definitely Gaston (except with books).

Jana could be Rapunzel based on the fact that she's blond, has lots of domestic hobbies, and is *possibly* being held captive by mother Gothel (I'm looking at you, Jichelle).

I'm not up on my Disney viewing, but I bet we can come up with more. Any Disney buffs out there care to thread drift?

I see Jeremy as one of those guys in Frozen, which was an irritating movie, but anyway. Um, to be vague in case someone wants to watch it, which I don't recommend, one is sort of obviously bad but hides it, and one is good but kind of annoying eventually, and way too forward. They are both cute, but even though we're predisposed to see him as the more evil one, he's really more like the other one; just sort of dull and not necessary to her well-being.

Or else he's Mr. Incredible circa The Incredibles 2, which is explanatory if you've seen that.

/have had strong drink

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I hope it's okay with people if I just put a content warning at the top of such posts and forgo the spoiler. I try to use spoilers sparingly for potentially sensitive content, because otherwise I feel like I'm putting myself in the position of judging what might upset someone and what might not, and I don't like that. Even content warnings are kind of iffy, but I do try to give a warning before I launch into a post that I feel has a good chance of potentially being upsetting to a large number of people.

• Upvote 12

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

A few pages back somebody commented that Lauren looks like a Disney princess. I'm seeing Belle (based on the original animated Belle, not Emma Watson).

Jana could be Rapunzel based on the fact that she's blond, has lots of domestic hobbies, and is *possibly* being held captive by mother Gothel (I'm looking at you, Jichelle).

I'm not up on my Disney viewing, but I bet we can come up with more. Any Disney buffs out there care to thread drift?

I thought we had agreed that Jana is Cinderella. 

Kendra definitely originated in a Disney movie, but she feels like a secondary character to me.

Jessa would rock a Dalmatian coat.

Several of them might sing “A Whole New World” when they finally get out of the house.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Several of them might sing “A Whole New World” when they finally get out of the house.

Just so long as it isn't like this:

Spoiler

photo(2).JPG.752b081db9ed2717674cd3d53be3f408.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 26
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Kendra definitely originated in a Disney movie, but she feels like a secondary character to me.

Kendra reminds me of Giselle from Disney's Enchanted. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Kendra is the animated version of Giselle from  Enchanted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Not a Duggar but JRod definitely got her make-up tutorials from Ursula.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 31

7 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Just so long as it isn't like this:

Hide contents

photo(2).JPG.752b081db9ed2717674cd3d53be3f408.JPG

I really thought the hidden content was going to contain a Rod song of some sort. I was preparing my ears for the inevitable screeching.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Not Disney but JimBob definitely has Lego hair.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17

Lauren sure doesn't act like she was forced to reveal the miscarriage on TLC.   Exactly the opposite.  She said she wanted to share her experience because it's more common than she realized and that women shouldn't need to hide the sadness.   She's publicly out there with this because she's chosen to be to help others.    I don't know how someone can watch that and read anything else into it but what she's said.  

She's also not acting saddled with the Fundie line of guilt that the miscarriage happened because she's being punished by God and that she's done something in life to deserve the miscarriage.    

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Casserole said:

Kendra reminds me of Giselle from Disney's Enchanted. 

I was coming here to write the same thing 

• Haha 3

More Disney Duggars:

Jessa is Jasmine (Aladdin): Heart-shaped face, great hair, an opinionated princess who marries a commoner but hooks him up with a job helping her dad run his realm.

Jinger is Ariel (Little Mermaid): A plucky dreamer who dreams of escape from a confining life where her father runs the show and her sisters sing to his preferred tune, she eventually is willing to give up her voice to join a guy in his world. 

Joy is Merida (Brave): Vaguely outdoorsy.

Jill is Aurora (Sleeping Beauty): Passively waited for a prince, and her whole life has been changed by a prick.

Edited by Dominionatrix
Mixed up my princes!
  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 31
  • I Agree 3

Josie is Chip. Mrs Potts had plenty of teacup children in the cupboard,  but Chip is the only one we see her interact with.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 32

Si’s Valentine post for Lauren:

Not a single mention of God, appropriate use of emojis, no blatant abuse of emojis, a sweet message, and a nice photo where they look legitimately happy. I give it 7 Jessas out of 10 - one of their better attempts at being normal. Points lost because it still just grosses me out that they share an account under only his name and because I find it a bit sad to write that he doesn’t deserve her (I know it’s a common sentiment and meant to be loving, but it strikes me as sad when a second gen Fundie uses it because there’s a chance they honestly do think they don’t deserve love.)

• Upvote 36
  • I Agree 1

Kendra has always looked like a chipmunk to me. She is Eleanor:

image.png.f8c7df7fd0e708d97eeb75df9de2c503.png

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 30
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, snickerz said:

Kendra has always looked like a chipmunk to me. She is Eleanor:

image.png.f8c7df7fd0e708d97eeb75df9de2c503.png

I can't unsee that ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

On Lily and Ellie fan blog there is a video of Lauren and 'Siah house. The giant house was temporary because the family didn't finish the fixer upper for them in time it seems 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Si’s Valentine post for Lauren:

Not a single mention of God, appropriate use of emojis, no blatant abuse of emojis, a sweet message, and a nice photo where they look legitimately happy. I give it 7 Jessas out of 10 - one of their better attempts at being normal. Points lost because it still just grosses me out that they share an account under only his name and because I find it a bit sad to write that he doesn’t deserve her (I know it’s a common sentiment and meant to be loving, but it strikes me as sad when a second gen Fundie uses it because there’s a chance they honestly do think they don’t deserve love.)

I think it's a weird message because it doesn't say anything about her as an individual. This could be about literally anyone that Josiah had married. Nothing like she makes him laugh or he loves her cooking or her smile. I already had the impression that they're more interested in each other as a necessary spouse than as individuals, and this just supports that. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

On 2/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, CarrotCake said:

Not a Duggar but JRod definitely got her make-up tutorials from Ursula.

Do not blaspheme the name of Divine. 

Also, I'm sure there will be a thousand thinkpieces on the problematicness of it all, but if they make the Superfluous Live-Action Little Mermaid Remake, I will fucking RIOT if they don't cast Latrice Royale as Ursula. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think it's a weird message because it doesn't say anything about her as an individual. This could be about literally anyone that Josiah had married. Nothing like she makes him laugh or he loves her cooking or her smile. I already had the impression that they're more interested in each other as a necessary spouse than as individuals, and this just supports that. 

I agree.  He knows her dad pretty well and seems to enjoy spending time with her family.  Since they’re taught that love is a choice and God brings your spouse to you, he probably married her since he thought that’s what God wanted. I’m sure he sincerely cares about her, but my impression is he married her because she’s good fundie wife material rather than ‘man, I really have a thing for Lauren’.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Do not blaspheme the name of Divine. 

Also, I'm sure there will be a thousand thinkpieces on the problematicness of it all, but if they make the Superfluous Live-Action Little Mermaid Remake, I will fucking RIOT if they don't cast Latrice Royale as Ursula. 

I’m personally hoping for Eureka O’Hara, but Latrice wouldn’t be a terrible choice! 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was thinking about this.

Writing a generically nice but non-specific message might be a way of participating in the whole reality tv rigmarole while still maintaining privacy. It' s the perfect compromise if you want to mark the occasion, but don't want to gush on the internet. 

(In any case, he did express his appreciation for her, which may be how he was taught or may just be satisfactory for them)

Maybe I'm projecting, because I would try to do it this way. 

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Georgiana locked this topic