IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 13: Drift, Duggars, Drift (Miscarriage Content Warning)

Jellybean

Omg on their latest insta story Josiah is mini golfing with Lauren and Nathan Bates and Nathan is in a bush retrieving a golf ball with his club. Josiah shouts, “Whatcha whacking at, Nate?” 

I don’t know how much longer it will be up, go listen please if you still can, I’m cracking up. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 25

I rewatched it twice as I thought I'd misheard! 

Also thought Nathan Bates is an odd person for Josiah and Lauren to hang out with (nobody else appeared to be with them). They seemed to be having a good time though. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, curlykate said:

It’s either not there anymore, or I can’t see it for some reason. 

It's not there anymore.. 

But i found it on some fan's IG's

• Thank You 7

13 hours ago, curlykate said:

It’s either not there anymore, or I can’t see it for some reason. 

Instagram Stories disappear after 24 hours

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, miss_batson said:

It's not there anymore.. 

But i found it on some fan's IG's

It's nice to see Lauren acting like a normal person her age and seeming to have a good time.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

It's interesting to see them out in the world doing teenager/young adult things. If Lauren and Josiah had grown up in more normal families she'd be out on a mini golf date with her boyfriend. Maybe they'd stay together and get married, maybe they'd outgrow each other, break up, and move on. But now neither of them really get that second choice and instead they're married, she's 19 years old, and has already had to process the emotions that come with a miscarriage while navigating a brand new marriage to a guy she was never allowed to be alone with until after the wedding ceremony. Just kind of wild to think about.

• Upvote 38
  • I Agree 11

On 3/17/2019 at 12:05 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Lauren was wearing jeans on their instagram story! She was wearing a long tunic/ mini dress over them but definitely jeans

yeah it looked odd 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I hope for Nathan's sake there was none of this :output_eeMbjt:happening on the golf course.

But they're married so it's ok for them. JB said so. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

On 3/14/2019 at 12:46 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Interesting comparison, given how that "relationship" ended. 

Hide contents

ShrillAthleticGorilla-small.gif.e3fbe01f47079481f79fdaa756b732ba.gif

.....................we can all be hopeful?

I mean.....Anna keeps getting prettier every year, soooo........

Not that I would wish murder on anyone, but.....dang. Maybe put the fear of God in him by dragging out a "Oh, my darling? What's that, choking on some tater tot casserole? Heimlich manuever, you say......?"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Re: nausea I was nauseated all the time during my very short pregnancy.  When I miscarried the nausea went away. So I doubt they filmed her during the miscarriage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

That outfit is tragic. Just wear a normal tunic with skinny jeans. It's not defrauding. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 4

On 3/18/2019 at 5:56 PM, TheMustardCardigan said:

It's interesting to see them out in the world doing teenager/young adult things. If Lauren and Josiah had grown up in more normal families she'd be out on a mini golf date with her boyfriend. Maybe they'd stay together and get married, maybe they'd outgrow each other, break up, and move on. But now neither of them really get that second choice and instead they're married, she's 19 years old, and has already had to process the emotions that come with a miscarriage while navigating a brand new marriage to a guy she was never allowed to be alone with until after the wedding ceremony. Just kind of wild to think about.

Sad isn't it? No choices beyond get married, make money somehow and birth babies. At 19 my daughter was dating, partying, figuring out a career and now at 23 she supports herself, will soon be able to buy a small house [we live in a cheap rural area] that can later be an income property. She goes on vacations with friends and dates guys. Lauren is....wait for it....washing dishes, doing laundry, making dinner and living with the expectation that she do so with a joyous "countenance". All with a guy I never expected to see get married. And no she is re-cast as the tragic one [not trying to make fun of their very, very real and sad loss] on the tv show.  At 19! She should have a job at the mall and another job waiting tables or be going to community college or something.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

OK guys, this was on my Facebook and I have to share it.  The sign is funny but look at the name of the Church and Town!    #toogoodnottoshare

Spoiler

BA674576-8A2E-40EB-B021-22A6E6B684A2.jpeg.4d81e41ad58091f255c20855fc70048f.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 43
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is so barely relevant that I probably shouldn’t post it, but I just found out that Gosnell (the awful abortion movie they posted the sad face selfies in front of around the time of their miscarriage) featured and was also directed by the same actor  who played Ruth’s abusive husband in Fried Green Tomatoes. Guess he’s into controlling women on and off screen, to at least some extent.

• Upvote 9

I watched the John and Abbie wedding episode.

Lauren has a really lovely singing voice. She also seems more mature and more intelligent than a lot of the Duggars.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

On 3/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

She should have a job at the mall and another job waiting tables or be going to community college or something.

It’s true that Lauren could be doing more with her life right now than being a stay at home wife, but, to be fair, she has already attended community college.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

It’s true that Lauren could be doing more with her life right now than being a stay at home wife, but, to be fair, she has already attended community college.

We also don’t know much about what their daily lives are actually like. The show only gives us a very sanitized and edited version of storylines that are cooked up for them and their social media presence isn’t as strong as some of Josiah’s siblings are. I doubt Lauren is working outside the home or anything, but it’s possible she’s volunteering or spending time with family and friends or filling her time in a way that’s meaningful to her. 

ETA: Looking back, I think @IReallyAmHopewell was commenting more on Lauren’s age than anything. I do agree to an extent. I hate the fact that these young women are offered such limited options in life that marriage to the first guy who comes along seems to be a good choice. However, not all 19 year olds want to party or do the types of things that she mentioned and some people that age legitimately are ready for the commitment of marriage. I get the feeling Lauren is one of those teenagers who just wouldn’t be interested in “acting her age” even if given the choice, but we’ll never know because she wasn’t given the choice. And I think that’s what @IReallyAmHopewell was more focused on in her original comment - on the basic lack of options Lauren (and the others) was given in life and I agree completely that is a major problem. It’s one thing for a 19 year old to have options and willingly choose marriage at a young age, but it’s another thing entirely for someone like Lauren who really wasn’t given any other options. Her parents and culture taught her that her only purpose in life was marriage and birthing babies - community college was probably just something to keep her busy until a guy showing interest came along. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I met my husband at 19, married him a week after handing in my last university assignment at 21, and had our first child at 23. I’ve been a SAHM ever since, and I don’t remotely feel like I “missed out” on my 20s or should have spent that time partying and travelling. The difference is for me it was 100% my choice. I’ve been clucky since I was about 14. I look at my parents who are now travelling a LOT and eating out every weekend because they are still young and healthy enough to do that stuff with all their kids out of home, but are much further along in their careers and paid off the mortgage. I like the idea of that. I’m very happy I started “young” on marriage and kids. But part of that is that I intend to FINISH “young” as well. I was done having kids by the time I turned 30. Someone like Lauren, no matter how keen she was to get started in her 20s, doesn’t have the choice to determine her own end point and pursue different things later in life.

Unless, of course, they break free from the cult.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JDuggs said:

And from what I recall, Lauren herself said that she didn't enjoy communicty college as much as her sister Lily did (during the mini-episode where she and Josiah visited the campus). Maybe I'm mistaken but I think Lily has continued college after Lauren stopped and might still be attending.

That being said, I also wonder if the Swansons might be tolerating Lily going to college for now, to give her something to do, but are expecting for her to stop persuing her studies or career if a husband comes along. (A bit like @VelociRapture said.)

• Upvote 14

Approved College and work is usually fine for a single women. It’s something to do, make a little money and potentially meet suitable husbands. If she never marries she may support herself. But when she marries there is no need for any of that in their world view: caring for her family is now her job and her husband makes the money. You see how Abbey is approaching her nursing now. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Approved College and work is usually fine for a single women. It’s something to do, make a little money and potentially meet suitable husbands. If she never marries she may support herself. But when she marries there is no need for any of that in their world view: caring for her family is now her job and her husband makes the money. You see how Abbey is approaching her nursing now. 

Unless you can't have children ala Michaela, then you can get back to work/school. For me, it's scary to think that if their husbands die, most of these girls do not have a backup plan other than the big house. See Anna while Josh was away. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic