IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

I think in this case some of the critique is of 3130, since I think Amy may have chosen this clothes from Jill from her stock.

Looking at 3130's instagram, there's a lot of crazy sleeves happening:

image.thumb.png.7904403a9d3117d835acd5f4f2170788.png

A lot of these tops look difficult to pull off, I applaud Jill for trying, but the execution is not good. She should have worn the dress with tights instead of jeans.

Those are ugly as sin. ?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Four is Enough said:

MMM Burgers, that was my 1st thought when someone asked why Maryland was associated with cookies.  I have a good friend who lives in Bawlmer and she introduced me to this wonderful confection. 

17 minutes ago, zcccrv said:

Those are ugly as sin. ?

Lol I was trying SO hard not to be accused of being a BEC, but you summarized my actual thoughts.

6 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

MMM Burgers, that was my 1st thought when someone asked why Maryland was associated with cookies.  I have a good friend who lives in Bawlmer and she introduced me to this wonderful confection. 

Hi just stopped by to say I live in Bawlmer Merlin and if you think berger cookies are delicious on their own, then wait til you see the Dangerously Delicious (of Food Network fame) Bomb Pie, made of melted berger cookies:

image.png.c8987ba9e49b12412b76f614bf2fb843.png

Also can't discuss iconic Baltimore cookies without Otterbein:

image.png.04e08c0852726935265b5219bdf638dc.png

20 minutes ago, zcccrv said:

Those are ugly as sin. ?

Those are the types of shirts I always see on boutique clearance because no matter how hard they're apparently trying, those sleeves aren't happening. 

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

I think in this case some of the critique is of 3130, since I think Amy may have chosen this clothes from Jill from her stock.

Looking at 3130's instagram, there's a lot of crazy sleeves happening:

image.thumb.png.7904403a9d3117d835acd5f4f2170788.png

A lot of these tops look difficult to pull off, I applaud Jill for trying, but the execution is not good. She should have worn the dress with tights instead of jeans.

I think there's a weird line on FJ where people talk about the Duggars' frumper days and that's seen as acceptable snark, meanwhile you make a comment about how a shirt color is an unpleasant color (it really is!!) or a top is unflattering and all of a sudden you're a BEC. This is a snark board, and if Jill is posting a fashion-based post we should be allowed to make fashion-based choices.

Also, I agree Jill needs a trim. I have long hair too (but curly) so have nothing against that, and cutting it regularly keeps it healthy. Layers also help greatly with the texture. I can see she's trying to get it out of her face hence the side braid, and I can imagine as a stay-at-home-mom this is a constant struggle. There's options that are both more practical and stylish, which we know she cares about to a certain extent. The hair seems to be the last step in the makeover she's been in the process of for the last year.

Funny, among FLDS fundies the haircut is a big deal in their Massimiliano into non-fundie world. Interesting that among the Duggar makeovers (Jinger and Jill) we haven't seen that.

I love a good crazy sleeve, honestly, and the top right and bottom left aren't terrible in the sleeve department (bottom left has other things I don't like, but the sleeves are fine)....but what are the rest of these sleeves doing and how can we get them to stop?

Jill, you're CLEARLY trying SO HARD to invite speculation on the state of your uterus.  You and I both know you carefully drew that arrow to point to the swell in your lower abdomen as opposed to more naturally at the tie and your waist.  It must be hard, what with the new season coming up that you aren't on and Jessa getting all the pregnancy attention.  Everyone has forgotten about Jill.  Well, jokes on you, friend.  I too have a swell in my lower abdomen, and so I will assume you and I got our bodies the same way: from some sweet fellowship with a box of Cheezits.  

6 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Lol I was trying SO hard not to be accused of being a BEC, but you summarized my actual thoughts.

Who are you trying to impress? ?

12 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Hi just stopped by to say I live in Bawlmer Merlin and if you think berger cookies are delicious, then wait til you see the Dangerously Delicious (of Food Network fame) Bomb Pie, made of melted berger cookies:

image.png.c8987ba9e49b12412b76f614bf2fb843.png

:drool: :sleeping-drool:

I actually love that dark green "shirt," though I would consider it a dress and wear it with leggings and boots. It can't be a modesty thing (a la Charlotte Boyer when she started wearing pants - with long tops only) because we've seen Jill wearing just regular jeans that show her pelvis. Regardless, I like it, and the beige shirt. But I recently had someone describe my style as "Elven grandma" so I guess a little frumpiness doesn't bother me ?

Once again, as I will comment on every picture of Jill wearing pants - I desperately want to know what the change was. Jill was so smug, so holier-than-thou, and she gave off this vibe of how her morals and lifestyle were better than others. So if wearing skirts was a moral standard, an outward reflection of her godliness.... what the heck caused her to change? Surely she's no less holier-than-thou, but was she influenced by her MIL? Did she wake up one day and realize that people seeing the outline of her thighs doesn't make her a wanton strumpet? Did she always think the skirts thing was silly? I need to knoooooow

When the Dillard thread is hot I wonder, “What did Derdick do now? Or what stupid thing did Jill post? Dear Rufus I hope she isn’t pregnant.” 

I started reading backwards from the last post to figure out why this thread is hot but those cookies!!! Otterbein are a staple at Thanksgiving dinner. And I need that pie in my mouth. Right now. And now I’m too distracted to figure out what the Dillard’s did this time.

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

Once again, as I will comment on every picture of Jill wearing pants - I desperately want to know what the change was. Jill was so smug, so holier-than-thou, and she gave off this vibe of how her morals and lifestyle were better than others. So if wearing skirts was a moral standard, an outward reflection of her godliness.... what the heck caused her to change? Surely she's no less holier-than-thou, but was she influenced by her MIL? Did she wake up one day and realize that people seeing the outline of her thighs doesn't make her a wanton strumpet? Did she always think the skirts thing was silly? I need to knoooooow

I feel like she changed because she's insecure and at the time her husband was around a bunch of coeds that wore pants/shorts.  But I'd love to know what mental gymnastics she used on herself to say she can do that and still remain the holiest. 

She still seems to be in that weird "I don't quite know how to wear jeans" phase that Jinger was in for a bit, where they've got baggy-ish skinny jeans that don't do anyone any favors. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

some sweet fellowship with a box of Cheezits.  

Rufus bless you, Georgiana; you always have a way with words, but this one is brilliant.

Amy's clothing shop has a lot of super fug clothes IMO.  But she's been able to style it well in the stock pics, herself and on her other cousins.  Amy's a stylish woman (not my style, but she seems very put together).  She should give Jill a mini-style-makeover - it would benefit both of them.  

That clickbaity pic of Jill with the beige shirt is just so unflattering.  I know she is looking for attention, but surely there's some baggy-bellied clothing out there that doesn't make Jill look like she borrowed a uniform from a plus-sized diner waitress from the 70's?  

I think these are definitely from the clearance rack.  Not judging the clearance rack, just these shirts look to me like clearance and Jill prob gets a family discount too, so maybe better than buying used.  I think the beige top looks great especially with her hair pulled up. And she looks totally pulled together and more worldly somehow.  I agree with @HarleyQuinn that she hasn't quite figured out jeans yet.  They still look too baggy.  In fact all of the Duggar girls usually look too baggy, but I guess that's the whole idea.  I think her hair really ruins the vibe of the other tops.  And this ends my couch critique.  I am wearing my hair down and a baggy sweater and leggings, so what do I know?    

@PennySycamore  Smith Island Cake is the best baked good, hands down to come out of Maryland.  I think its the official state cake or dessert.

I like Jill's shirts, all three of them. Definitely something I would wear (except the beige, because I doubt it goes with my beige hair) 

59 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Sam is still under 18 months right? I'm betting they wait at least that long.

Sam is 19 months today. So, if they waited 18 months, then they just started trying. Given how fast they got pregnant after getting married and after (possibly) waiting 18 months from c-section #1 they could be pregnant very soon.  

It would be funny if she were pregnant because Jessa did her fashion show in Amy's store right before she announced. I think Jill, like me, has had some fairly severe sway back posture issues, so the black dress could look a little bit odd because of the way she stands. If I remember correctly, Jill was one of the ones posting a ton of bumpdate pics where people always thought she was pushing out her stomach. But it really could be her normal posture. 

Jill and Jinger both have very thin legs, so it might be hard for them to find pants that fit in the hips which aren't baggy in the crotch/legs. 

Amy's store offerings remind me a lot of a chain store we have at our local mall: Altar'd State. From their website: "opened...as a modest Christian retail store." Plus the name is also a Biblical allusion like 3130.

8 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I love a good crazy sleeve, honestly, and the top right and bottom left aren't terrible in the sleeve department (bottom left has other things I don't like, but the sleeves are fine)....but what are the rest of these sleeves doing and how can we get them to stop?

I don't usually care that much about Amy's fashion choices, but some of those sleeves are bizarre. They're like the shirt versions of the homemade elephant bell-bottomed pants (with contrasting material) that were popular in the 70s.

Spoiler

Shirts:20190208_184809.png.929a52721c1377f5336374a6f05bb771.png

20190208_184750.png.713171c3914e171faf11c72989434613.png

The best pants examples I could find:376927d2c4a877cc5f1fa72442efb093.jpg.88fc9ad0edc190a4f30aa18aaa6cba9c.jpg

299969.jpg.3348f9875cb4f5c86468be3ac340e0b0.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg.3e29f2083f1ffda3ebcd69ae028454d7.jpg

In either case, not my style. More power to anyone who can pull off these looks!

I once had a shirt that had gauzy, flowy sleeves. I think I am just too practical. I'd go to wash the dishes, or give a kid a bath, or whatever, and there was no way to push them out of the way or roll them up. They just kept falling down. If I can push it out of the way or roll it up, it it'll drive me crazy and I won't wear it. 

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I don't usually care that much about Amy's fashion choices, but some of those sleeves are bizarre. They're like the shirt versions of the homemade elephant bell-bottomed pants (with contrasting material) that were popular in the 70s.

Hide contents

Shirts:20190208_184809.png.929a52721c1377f5336374a6f05bb771.png

20190208_184750.png.713171c3914e171faf11c72989434613.png

The best pants examples I could find:376927d2c4a877cc5f1fa72442efb093.jpg.88fc9ad0edc190a4f30aa18aaa6cba9c.jpg

299969.jpg.3348f9875cb4f5c86468be3ac340e0b0.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg.3e29f2083f1ffda3ebcd69ae028454d7.jpg

In either case, not my style. More power to anyone who can pull off these looks!

1972 called and wants their bellbottoms back. 

10 hours ago, zcccrv said:

Who are you trying to impress? ?

No one, but the criticism has already started about how mean it is to criticize Jill's clothing and I'm not in the mood for being accused of being a BEC. I'll just be a graham cracker - just a tad bit sweet but certainly ain't no {{berger}} cookie.

7 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

@HarleyQuinn

@PennySycamore  Smith Island Cake is the best baked good, hands down to come out of Maryland.  I think its the official state cake or dessert.

Smith island cake is indeed the official dessert of Maryland. But i will politely direct you back to the Bomb Pie i mentioned before (melted berger cookies cooked into a cookie crust) as hands down the best baked good to come out of my adopted state.

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

No one, but the criticism has already started about how mean it is to criticize Jill's clothing and I'm not in the mood for being accused of being a BEC. I'll just be a graham cracker - just a tad bit sweet but certainly ain't no {{berger}} cookie.

Smith island cake is indeed the official dessert of Maryland. But i will politely direct you back to the Bomb Pie i mentioned before (melted berger cookies cooked into a cookie crust) as hands down the best baked good to come out of my adopted state.

I think the term is being overused in internet discussions anyway. As with any term that quickly becomes popular and is used and misused, it will probably loose any meaning eventually and fail to establish itself at the big boys table, where cookies and pies are served. 

Pure grandma style except for the beige blouse which I think looks good on her. I think Jill naturally is drawn to a more bohemian style then her sisters. I think she likes the flowy floral number because of that but it just doesn't work. Long patterned skirts with cute sweaters or a flowy blouse, big scarf and jeans just seems easier then a semi kaftan floral shirt dress. Something more like this from Anthropologie would be more flattering:

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/farm-rio-patchwork-floral-skirt?category=skirts&color=069&type=REGULAR

It's the middle of the night and I'm in pain after surgery so don't blame me for pretending to be a stylist for Jill. Insert boilerplate disclaimer that I disagree with their beliefs and worldview.

Screenshot_20190209-015602_Samsung Internet.jpg

Welp apparently I'm going crazy because I thought all but the beige top looked nice on Jill and was relieved to see no 'baby bump' in sight.

Also..how is Izzy the best photogragher in the house? 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:47 PM, PennySycamore said:

@Four is Enough,  I don't know of cookies named after the Old Line State, but there are Lord  and Lady Baltimore Cakes.  I've got recipes, but I've never made them for my Maryland born* and raised husband because the recipes have nuts in them.  There's also the famous Smith Island cake.    I wonder if Duff Goldman of Charm City Cakes has ever made any of them. 

Duff makes spectacle cakes, the kind that have to be "built'... a Smith Island cake is much too prosaic for him.

image.png.2cdd121f76b508fb7ec02f26c8bc25c6.png

And that berger cookie bomb pie..... sounds too rich to eat! I'd try, though~ LOL!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived