IGNORED

The Staddons: Doing Things a Little Bit Differently

Palimpsest

I’m not familiar with either family. I’m sure it’s been discussed but I must not be searching correctly, but has it been mentioned if Elizabeth still plans on head covering once married? The Stadons don’t appear to do so and I’m wondering if this is something she feels convicted to do or if Dad feels that way therefore she’ll do so till the wedding ring is placed and a Husband tells her she can remove it. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think this one is probably the cutest picture of them because they aren’t awkwardly posing and just look relaxed. 

0B079574-50CB-4628-A5B7-6311811BC710.jpeg

A practical gift from Michael. I’m a practical person so I would appreciate a practical gift from DH. These two are probably a good match. 

2AE162CF-DD99-4D11-9B07-6129D92237CA.jpeg

They both look legitimately happy in those pictures. Could we have a Staddon couple who actually likes each other and is willing to show it? Consider my pearls clutched. This wedding is going to be a snark mine.

I agree with everyone who says Esther's voice is annoying, but I think it's an act; everyone else's voice in the video is equally stilted, just not squeaky. I wonder if they talk like that all the time...

• Upvote 9

23 hours ago, ophelia said:

Wasn't the Staddon father diagnosed with some severe illness (cancer?) in the recent past? Has anybody more information about that?

Esther kept updates on her instagram but she went private a few months ago. I hope he's doing better for the sake of their family, but back then he was avoiding chemo, so I'm not sure...

For those asking if that's Esther's real voice, the answer is a resounding yes! I'll leave you with my favorite video of her:

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 4

I never listened to Esther talk and always wondered why she’s still single at 32. She has very pretty eyes and seems to like kids so I thought she must be a fundie catch. Now I know it might be her voice that is putting off any potential male suitor.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I never listened to Esther talk and always wondered why she’s still single at 32. She has very pretty eyes and seems to like kids so I thought she must be a fundie catch. Now I know it might be her voice that is putting any potential male suitor off. 

OMG, speech therapy is in order to reduce nasality. I could listen to about three seconds before my ears started bleeding.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

15 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

OMG, speech therapy is in order to reduce nasality. I could listen to about three seconds before my ears started bleeding.

I was debating whether I'd prefer to listen to Esther or Priscilla. Priscilla won out. She seems like a lovely person, but her voice is unreal. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

Esther Shrader sort of has the same sort of a voice like her sister Priscilla. But Grace Mally has the voice I couldn't stand to listen to. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, albireo said:

I agree with everyone who says Esther's voice is annoying, but I think it's an act; everyone else's voice in the video is equally stilted, just not squeaky. I wonder if they talk like that all the time...

Her voice is high pitched but also uptalking (high rising terminal) on crack in that first vlog.  So enthusiastic!

And they all sound stilted all the time.  I don't think it is a regional thing.   I think it is a Fundie thing.

But Esther has just out done Grace Mally as the voice I would least like to sit next to on a plane.

And, @formergothardite just got in there first. :)

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

What is UP with Esther's voice? Does she constantly huff helium or something?

Maybe she follows the Michelle Duggar (and other's) school of little girl voice because after all, she's just a girl and not a big Man!  I have not listened so she may just have a squeaky voice, but I read somewhere (probably on FJ) that many of the fundie women cultivate a little girl voice to sound innocent and in need of protection.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2

OMG I cannot listen to that voice more than 30 seconds without wanting to grab her future sister-in-law's new pitchfork.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

Esther kept updates on her instagram but she went private a few months ago. I hope he's doing better for the sake of their family, but back then he was avoiding chemo, so I'm not sure...

For those asking if that's Esther's real voice, the answer is a resounding yes! I'll leave you with my favorite video of her:

Wowza, the combination of mega-squeak with death glare in the eyes when she says what a joy it was to be talking to kids about being under authority, then the sudden return to smiley crinkle eyes... oof, that's the stuff of nightmares.  

I'm tempted to give her a pass on the voice a little, because some women do just congenitally sound like that -- but then the strained nature of her speech and the spoken content don't exactly combine in a flattering way with her natural voice.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

This could fast become my favourite thread- what with all the "married on" attachments eg Kendalyn and Robert, & Kathryn and Daniel Staddon; I can now post about people that didn't fit in to other threads!! Thankyou Palimpsest!

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

The mom even looks annoyed by the voice in that video. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 8

5 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I’m not familiar with either family. I’m sure it’s been discussed but I must not be searching correctly, but has it been mentioned if Elizabeth still plans on head covering once married? The Stadons don’t appear to do so and I’m wondering if this is something she feels convicted to do or if Dad feels that way therefore she’ll do so till the wedding ring is placed and a Husband tells her she can remove it. 

I'm hoping Michael will do his duty and be an attentive husband in this regard; I'd like to see the headcovering removed, and maybe the other Staddon women will give her some hairstyling tips and let her raid their closets for a few nice pieces of clothing.  I'm no fashion plate by any means but I do feel for the girl.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On the blog New Every Morning, the Staddons came to visit in January.  Much game playing ensued.  They also popped in to visit the Parfitt family which caused such great excitement. (Parfitt Family Journal).  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I love this thread. I loved it even after I figured out that you weren't talking about This Staddon:

image.png.153e2544343668132e538bb404de6548.png

You know, the one who married the 50-year-old guy at age 16. Her mum was all about that weird weird marriage.

PS-It really is wonderful to see two people look happy and relaxed together. There is a person for everyone, and I'm glad those two kids found each other. (Although he better be nice to her, or suffer the wrath of FJ!!!!!)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

Esther's voice. Wow! I couldn't stand her for more than 30 seconds. 

The couple seems really relaxed and happy around each other and he always looks smitten with her in the pictures. This could be the most 'real' Staddon marriage.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Mari2 said:

On the blog New Every Morning, the Staddons came to visit in January.  Much game playing ensued.  They also popped in to visit the Parfitt family which caused such great excitement. (Parfitt Family Journal).  

I checked out the Parfitts and I can't believe they haven't been discussed on here. The frump, good god. And one of the siblings died unexpectedly last year and they just casually slipped it into an "update!" post in between two tedious posts about their travels? His widow is so young and their children are so young. I get that people want photos of the baby but it seems strange to have a photoshoot in the aftermath of something like that.

https://www.parfittfamily.com/2018/09/parfitt-family-news/

Also I'm like 95% sure that this estranged, openly gay HA author is the oldest brother in the family:

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/?s=sean-allen+parfitt

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

6 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Me too, Mama Staddon. Me too.

screechesther.jpg

Thank you! I’m dying over here! ?

6 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I checked out the Parfitts and I can't believe they haven't been discussed on here. The frump, good god. And one of the siblings died unexpectedly last year and they just casually slipped it into an "update!" post in between two tedious posts about their travels? His widow is so young and their children are so young. I get that people want photos of the baby but it seems strange to have a photoshoot in the aftermath of something like that.

https://www.parfittfamily.com/2018/09/parfitt-family-news/

Also I'm like 95% sure that this estranged, openly gay HA author is the oldest brother in the family:

Omg poor Hannah! She has two very small children and her husband died so unexpectedly! I feel so bad for her. I hope the Parfitt SAHDs are helping her out and her own family is financially supporting her during this time. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I'm 99.999% sure.  Poor guy.  I hope he is doing well today.  The eldest of 8 Parfitt children, educated Dad, and spent time in the UK while being home-schooled.  And his mother frightens him.  I can see why.

Jamie Parfitt is ... scary.  She says she was raised in a cult (and I agree that WCG has cult aspects) but she has transferred her cult thinking to her new church and beliefs.

There is a lot of tragedy in the Parfitt family.  Not only did the brother die suddenly, the father, Ken, was killed in a car accident in 2010.  She wrote his biography for his college alumni paper.  No idea whether they printed it because it is really long.  But it gives a lot of information.    https://www.parfittfamily.com/2011/06/kens-story-to-submit-to-his-college-alumni-magazine/

And when it comes to who you never want to sit next to on a plane - probably any member of the Parfitt family other than Sean-Allen.  They evangelised on a 14 hour flight to Australia in 2013  She writes about it in excruciating detail.  https://www.parfittfamily.com/2013/01/first-new-zealand-trip-post/ 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Holy cow, the Parfitts are a frumptastic gold mine! Oh, and the endless fretting over flying!  We've found the Maxwells of upstate NY!!

• Upvote 5

The Parfitt family journal is amazing rabbit hole to fall into-  highly recommended reading

James and Jonathan Staddon seem to visit the family and cause huge excitement and massive cleaning of the house before they arrive.The family seem to stay up late, play games, James shows them photoshop tricks and flies his drone to take pictures.

I think James may be the next Staddon sibling to find a suitable fundie maiden- probably Naomi

• Upvote 8

On 1/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, nickelodeon said:

I am waiting with bated breath for michaelloveselizabeth.com and its romantic saga of "slight disinterest" and reading wacky coded messages into random bible verses!

I have to admit I've been kind of hooked on the Staddons, and reading Kathryn/Daniel's blog since their fantastic telling of their "slightly disinterested" courtship.  They just seem like such a goofy group of people.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Lord help me, I'm falling down the Parfitt rabbit hole!  This is just too weird for words, but what is it with belonging to a Baptist church with the eldest single daughter clearly dressing Mennonite? 

After reading Sean-Allen's 3 posts in HSA, I was impressed with his ability to evaluate his homeschooling fairly objectively;  he gives Ma Parfitt credit for making sure he was academically on par in certain subjects, enough so that he was able to transition to college level courses.  However, unsurprisingly, it appears they were not well schooled in literature and history; he notes his struggle to understand cultural references.  I hope he is doing well on his own; he clearly has been shunned by his own mother. Painful as that might be, I'm glad he is free to be himself.

It caught my attention that the Parfitts used the Rod and Staff Curriculum which is heavily religious.  I believe that is the same curriculum used by Christopher and Anna-Marie Maxwell, ugh.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic