IGNORED

The Staddons: Doing Things a Little Bit Differently

Palimpsest

@nelliebelle1197 Please don't apologize you were absolutely right, and not at all bitchy. I love learning about fundies, and I am glad you brought it to my attention. I am on this site to learn, fulfill my curiosity, and have a few laughs. While it boggles my mind people would pay to read or hear what Teri Maxwell, Debi Pearl, Zsu Anderson and others have to say it is important I see the different career opportunities they do have. If you live in the US I hope you are having a wonderful Labor Day weekend, if you live elsewhere Happy Monday! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, HA88 said:

@nelliebelle1197 Please don't apologize you were absolutely right, and not at all bitchy. I love learning about fundies, and I am glad you brought it to my attention. I am on this site to learn, fulfill my curiosity, and have a few laughs. While it boggles my mind people would pay to read or hear what Teri Maxwell, Debi Pearl, Zsu Anderson and others have to say it is important I see the different career opportunities they do have. If you live in the US I hope you are having a wonderful Labor Day weekend, if you live elsewhere Happy Monday! 

But they are not working! They are just TEACHERS! Or some other nonsense because birthing 3251 kids is not fulfilling enough and keeping them busy!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, raspberrymint said:

If it's something collective between brothers, I wonder what the more precise "it" is.  Probably multiple circumstances.

My guess would be a social learning disorder, to varying degrees with each brother. Donald, Jr. can't possibly be as angry as he nearly always appears in photos, can he? I'm guessing his facial expressions have more to do with frustration/confusion in social situations, rather than anger.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I haven't been following the Staddons so this article might be old news to the rest of you, as it was published in July 2000, but I was fascinated. Apparently the parents continued to homeschool the boys in [what some might call] college level coursework. The article mentions that Don III (dad's the Junior) got a job right away at the US Census bureau but most of those jobs tend to be for a year or so every decade. Not exactly long term employment. 

Robert, Michael and Don are aware they may have trouble finding jobs.

"I worry a lot about that, but then I keep remembering that people are more important than things," Don said. "And so I look for a group of people that need me. Then if I meet those people's needs, my needs are met." His goal is to be a teacher and help other home-schooling families.

Neither Don nor his brothers fear being misjudged by prospective employers.

Michael aspires to become an artist and has already done illustrations for one Christian book. "My credential in the way of art is my art," he said. "If they want to prefer people who have had training, that's fine with me. I won't be bitter at them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2000/07/26/when-parents-are-the-professors/d0a5870e-90ea-402d-accf-3d3f20a6b1d0/

ETA: Here's Don III's profile on linked in. Apparently he has had a variety of teaching jobs but since 2013 he's been 

Farm Project Managerat Honey Glen, Salem, West Virginia

Busy as a bee answering the call to provide health-conscious customers with unprocessed, all-natural local honey.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Thank You 7

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

My guess would be a social learning disorder, to varying degrees with each brother. Donald, Jr. can't possibly be as angry as he nearly always appears in photos, can he? I'm guessing his facial expressions have more to do with frustration/confusion in social situations, rather than anger.

I agree. I don’t see Donald as being angry all the time. He has a naturally low strong brow that makes him look like he’s angry all the time if he’s not smiling. I honestly don’t see him ever getting married like Sarah Maxwell. But I see all the rest of the younger brothers eventually marrying. If Esther gets married, I imagine it will be a much older man. Possibly hard of hearing.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree. I don’t see Donald as being angry all the time. He has a naturally low strong brow that makes him look like he’s angry all the time if he’s not smiling. I honestly don’t see him ever getting married like Sarah Maxwell. But I see all the rest of the younger brothers eventually marrying. If Esther gets married, I imagine it will be a much older man. Possibly hard of hearing.

He has the man version of "Resting Bitch Face". I have RBF and it sucks. I can never relax my face in front of people because I have to make sure I don't look mad/angry all the time. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

He has the man version of "Resting Bitch Face". I have RBF and it sucks. I can never relax my face in front of people because I have to make sure I don't look mad/angry all the time. 

I have RBF and I like it. I’m also a large person so people tend to leave me alone. It’s nice, lol! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I haven't been following the Staddons so this article might be old news to the rest of you, as it was published in July 2000, but I was fascinated. Apparently the parents continued to homeschool the boys in [what some might call] college level coursework. The article mentions that Don III (dad's the Junior) got a job right away at the US Census bureau but most of those jobs tend to be for a year or so every decade. Not exactly long term employment. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2000/07/26/when-parents-are-the-professors/d0a5870e-90ea-402d-accf-3d3f20a6b1d0/

ETA: Here's Don III's profile on linked in. Apparently he has had a variety of teaching jobs but since 2013 he's been 

Ma and Pa Staddon had the benefit of a traditional university education and were able to raise a fairly large family thanks to that education.  Yet, like the Maxwells and other fundie parents, they withheld those opportunities from their offspring.  Two of the three married Staddons work for IBLP.  Looks like Donald III spent most of his adult life in the IBLP bubble too. Call me unimpressed. So much for the value of  homeschool college and prospects for the kind of employment needed to do the same as their parents.  There are so many ways to get a legitimate degree online if you're so worried about worldly influences.  These people have zero confidence in their kids.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I don't think Donald Jr. is angry as much as he is frustrated with his life. He still lives at home with his parents reaching 40 and all of his younger siblings have moved on with their lives. Jonathan and James have their own business, Michael, Robert, and Daniel are all married and (starting for Michael) have their own families, Esther has been living on and off at IBLP, and idk what David is doing, but he is young enough where he can find his own fundie way.

Donald Jr. was raised in a household where he was encouraged to pray and look to God for everything. So far, he has spent most of his adult life with no family of his own, no career outside missionary work and blogging as far as we know, and still living in his parents house. I mean, Ma and Pa Staddon loosened the leash on Esther letting her live at IBLP for sometime. Plus, from the way it looks, Esther spends a lot of time in Texas whether she is spending time with Robert and Kendalyn, Daniel and Kathryn, and/or IBLP. I think Donald is frustrated by the fact all of his siblings have managed to "move on", so to say, with their lives, but he is stuck at home (as far as we know).

• Upvote 7

On 9/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, Black Aliss said:

Oh man, I remember that article! Going to read it again!  Good times.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I don't think Donald Jr. is angry as much as he is frustrated with his life. He still lives at home with his parents reaching 40 and all of his younger siblings have moved on with their lives. Jonathan and James have their own business, Michael, Robert, and Daniel are all married and (starting for Michael) have their own families, Esther has been living on and off at IBLP, and idk what David is doing, but he is young enough where he can find his own fundie way.

Donald Jr. was raised in a household where he was encouraged to pray and look to God for everything. So far, he has spent most of his adult life with no family of his own, no career outside missionary work and blogging as far as we know, and still living in his parents house. I mean, Ma and Pa Staddon loosened the leash on Esther letting her live at IBLP for sometime. Plus, from the way it looks, Esther spends a lot of time in Texas whether she is spending time with Robert and Kendalyn, Daniel and Kathryn, and/or IBLP. I think Donald is frustrated by the fact all of his siblings have managed to "move on", so to say, with their lives, but he is stuck at home (as far as we know).

My thoughts exactly.  I feel bad for him.

• Upvote 3

Maybe he could become friends with the Arndt man-boys to find out how they deal with it so happily. Maybe Donald Jr. just needs some penguins.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

Maybe he could become friends with the Arndt man-boys to find out how they deal with it so happily. Maybe Donald Jr. just needs some penguins.

If I were him, that would be the last thing I'd want to do.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/3/2019 at 9:02 AM, petrushka said:

Ma and Pa Staddon had the benefit of a traditional university education and were able to raise a fairly large family thanks to that education.  Yet, like the Maxwells and other fundie parents, they withheld those opportunities from their offspring.  Two of the three married Staddons work for IBLP.  Looks like Donald III spent most of his adult life in the IBLP bubble too. Call me unimpressed. So much for the value of  homeschool college and prospects for the kind of employment needed to do the same as their parents.  There are so many ways to get a legitimate degree online if you're so worried about worldly influences.  These people have zero confidence in their kids.

That is one of the things that has always bothered me about the Staddons. There are colleges that are accredited that share their beliefs, like Crown College in Tennessee where the Bates children went. I read that Joshua Bontrager got an online degree for an accredited program. I feel that Ma and Pa Staddon should know, or at least understand, that they are crippling their children for getting a job outside of IBLP if the program ever goes bankrupt, has layoffs, etc. In a Washington Post article from 2000 one of them, I think Robert, admitted this. But, they didn't seem to care which adds more insult to injury. 

• Upvote 2

The Staddon family has a new post up on their blog.  James is apparently making a photo poster of a social worker knocking on the door of a "biblical family".  Kathryn and kids model the biblical part and a long, denim skirt wearing woman models the social worker.  James is giving a photography lesson in this post.

• WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Mari2 said:

The Staddon family has a new post up on their blog.  James is apparently making a photo poster of a social worker knocking on the door of a "biblical family".  Kathryn and kids model the biblical part and a long, denim skirt wearing woman models the social worker.  James is giving a photography lesson in this post.

Must be inspired by the recent CPS visit enjoyed by the Rodrigueses! ???

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mari2 said:

He says that the photos are for the Heritage Defense Foundation, based in Texas. That made me curious, so I checked, et voilà! The Heritage Defense Foundation filed a motion siding with the parents in the Drake Pardo case. There's a discussion here about Drake Pardo, and why Texas CPS removed him from his parent's custody to protect him:

And now I have "It's a Small World" stuck in my head.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Heritage Defense is a disgusting lobby and legal aid service for parents who beat their kids. You pay an annual fee and their lawyers will defend you against CPS or the State if any complaints are made against you, citing the First Amendment and biblical beatings of course. 

PP's cult highly recommends it. Joan Jimenez (wife of Pastor Jimenez) made a plug for it in her recent Homeschool Seminar. 

ETA: just clicked the link to their website and Curtis Bower's big head popped up. It really is a small world...

• WTF 4
  • Thank You 4

12 hours ago, Mari2 said:

We don't tend to wear skirts, especially those of us that work with children, where there's lots of squatting and sitting on tiny child-sized chairs. We also don't tend to carry our bags into homes because of bedbugs and possibly contaminated surfaces. But clearly, these people are not ones to let anything get in the way of the fiction they spin, so okay. 

• Remuneration: $50 per chosen photo will be awarded to Lenspiration members, up to $100 total.

Also, it appears that this is some sort of website where you can request low-cost work from photographers? Because fuck that noise, photographers deserved to get paid for their talent, time, and equipment.

https://www.lenspiration.com/forums/topic/mother-social/

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 5

We are also talking about another “medical kidnap” case on the Nebraska birth keeper thread. The mother of Noah McAdams is a “birthkeeper” and her son was removed from her custody and given to his grandmother because his parents refused chemo therapy for a cancer that has a 90% success rate. She wanted to just treat him with holistic bullshit that would do nothing for him. She thinks she knows better than doctors because she took a few online classes and attended some home births. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Heritage Defense is a disgusting lobby and legal aid service for parents who beat their kids. You pay an annual fee and their lawyers will defend you against CPS or the State if any complaints are made against you, citing the First Amendment and biblical beatings of course. 

PP's cult highly recommends it. Joan Jimenez (wife of Pastor Jimenez) made a plug for it in her recent Homeschool Seminar. 

ETA: just clicked the link to their website and Curtis Bower's big head popped up. It really is a small world...

So like the HSLDA but with a wider range of supporters?

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I never heard of them and just went over to their website and now I'm disgusted and quite furious, to be honest. 

I shouldn't be surprised though, since PP's cult recommends it and when has ever been something good coming out of that?!

• Upvote 4

There's also endorsement by Kevin Swanson, and that if something is the sign to stay the hell away from that shit! Can't forget his manic ranting and screaming during the VF days.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

So like the HSLDA but with a wider range of supporters?

I think it's the opposite. HSLDA claims they're not a Christian organization and serve all homeschool families, while Heritage Defense is an openly far-right Christian group defending biblical child rearing (*cough* child beating). But they function pretty much the same way, with attorneys on call to defend you if the State gets too nosey. 

I think many fundamentalist families subscribe to both. 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic