IGNORED

The Staddons: Doing Things a Little Bit Differently

Palimpsest

30 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

So @Palimpsest I am assuming Jamie does not realize that the Sydney Opera house is not just opera and that "opera house" is old fashioned language for a performing arts center?

Oh and with Pa Kettle - uh Parfitt - dead, where do they get their $$?

Hee!  But all performing arts are unGodly.  Only Ma Parfitt's favorite hymns, all three of them, are Godly.

My guess is that:  Pa Parfitt had a good life insurance policy, she got a huge pay out from other driver's insurance, the church widow and orphans fund, and grifting off her working sons (except from Seanny).  I think she may work from home a bit too.  At what, I do not know.  I only skimmed the blog.

I don't think the fancy house in the blog header is the Parfitt manse, just her dream house.  They probably built their house debt free so she doesn't have a mortgage.

They do live frugally and take a lot of their own food on their travels.  But who forgets the can opener if they are planning tuna subs for lunch and tuna casserole for dinner - on the very same day?

And is it normal to put sliced hard boiled eggs on tuna casserole?  I would not know.  Tuna casserole sounds disgusting to me and looked vile in that photo.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sops2 said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.theneelyteam.com/page/26/&ved=0ahUKEwjz0YGo0obgAhUUShUIHVsMCMcQo7QBCB4wAQ&usg=AOvVaw1kAXjWQ4bbTuMpmpgsSh2i

Hope I've pasted this link correctly, but I came across the Neely family singing "God of our Fathers" and it was so lovely I just had to post it.They have wonderful voices.

The original poem was by Rudyard Kipling, written for Queen Victoria

Just scroll down on the page link and it takes you to Remembering 9-11.

That's it!

Fundies that can actually sing! That was beautiful, I am impressed.

30 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

Just looked back at my post about the  Neely's singing, and think I sounded unfortunately sugary.

Did not mean to, will be more bitchy next time

It is OK, you were fine.  We do give credit for true talent - even from Fundies. 

For all I know the Neelys do sing well but the link didn't work for me.

But we usually call ourselves snarky, not bitchy.  :angelic-halofell:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't think the fancy house in the blog header is the Parfitt manse, just her dream house.  They probably built their house debt free so she doesn't have a mortgage.

It's actually their house! Jonathan Staddon shot it with his drone when they went for a visit. I'm also surprised at how nice it looks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

I shall do my best to be a bit snarky next time- hoping Priscilla and David instagram soon or better still, the 11smiths blog ( I'm waiting patiently to see Russell and Amanda's new house)

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It is OK, you were fine.  We do give credit for true talent - even from Fundies. 

For all I know the Neelys do sing well but the link didn't work for me.

But we usually call ourselves snarky, not bitchy.  :angelic-halofell:

They can indeed actually sing, and in proper four voice harmony, no less!

Here's a direct link to the page in question: https://www.theneelyteam.com/2011/09/11/remembering-9-11/

It's also a Vimeo link, so I'll embed it here:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

It's actually their house! Jonathan Staddon shot it with his drone when they went for a visit. I'm also surprised at how nice it looks.

Wow. I'm surprised. Very nice pad. House, acreage to keep up, RV, cars.  She's not hurting for cash.  

And Jonathan can't spell sufficient.  Oh that SOTDT.  :D

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

I shall do my best to be a bit snarky next time- hoping Priscilla and David instagram soon or better still, the 11smiths blog ( I'm waiting patiently to see Russell and Amanda's new house)

I’m looking forward to that post too. Although she has already posted a few pictures of the house and the land, they haven’t moved the house yet. I don’t think. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

That was my impression too.  Ma Parfitt sounds like a horror.  And did you read the post with the FB string of interactions with the late Elliot.  Sad.

Are these in the password protected blog posts?

21 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

I just realized the 11 boring Smiths are in a county in TN where my great uncle is from and my grandparents once lived.

7 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Are these in the password protected blog posts?

No.  All from open posts.

To be clear I'm basing my opinion of Ma Parfitt on all her posts and general obnoxiousness.

The Elliot and Seanny interaction is here: 

https://ofpenandheart.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/a-dialogue-on-homosexuality/

It is long but this is the bit that stood out to me.  My bolding.

Elliott
Joseph Ville thanks for your comment. I want to clarify once and for all: Sean: was not shunned. But a lifestyle that is an abomination carries with it an evil spirit that neither my mother nor I will tolerate around the younger siblings. He is allowed to communicate with us older ones. He can pick up the phone any time and talk. He was allowed to sit with the family for Nana’s funeral and even stop by the house. 1 Corinthians tells us clearly that public immorality is not to be tolerated. There must be repentance before fellowship can be restored.

"Allowed."  But he can only talk if he repents first.

Sean
I am legitimately confused what you think shunning means, Elliott. Also, you have yourself said that you do not want to talk to me. I have asked Mom if we could talk, and she has never even given me an answer. I do not believe for a second that if I called you that you would be interested in talking to me. Reese refused to look at me at the Christmas concert, and Dylan said that he couldn’t even text me for various reasons.

I am legitimately confused too, Sean.  Sounds like shunning to me.  And how much pressure are Ma and Elliot putting on Reece and Dylan.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12

Now I’m wondering how Trevor treats him. The only brother not mentioned. He’s married now and on his own so let’s hope he doesn’t completely shun his older brother.

• Upvote 3

Amanda and Russell are clearing the site for a manufactured/ mobile home which came complete with furniture and furnishings included.They bought it from Claytons Mobile Homes. ( I read the name upside down on the doormat on one of the photos they blogged.) They fell in love with it the first time they saw it.

This is another rabbithole I love- but they don't post nearly often enough

I've just read the openheart quotes above -what an obnoxious cruel  way to treat your own blood.Elliot had obviously assumed patriarchal authority in the Parfitt family. Has Trevor now inherited this role?

Edited by Sops2
Extra to add
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Amanda and Russell are clearing the site for a manufactured/ mobile home which came complete with furniture and furnishings included.They bought it from Claytons Mobile Homes. ( I read the name upside down on the doormat on one of the photos they blogged.) They fell in love with it the first time they saw it.

This is another rabbithole I love- but they don't post nearly often enough

I've just read the openheart quotes above -what an obnoxious cruel  way to treat your own blood.Elliot had obviously assumed patriarchal authority in the Parfitt family. Has Trevor now inherited this role?

Didn't Candy have a Clayton home? @Palimpsest??

9 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Didn't Candy have a Clayton home? @Palimpsest??

I don't remember.  I never followed Candy closely.  I do remember her modest swimwear modelling though.  That was very special.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sops2 said:

I've just read the openheart quotes above -what an obnoxious cruel  way to treat your own blood.

Yes!  I don’t get how you just turn away from your child and harden your heart to them.  Especially when you purport to follow Jesus, who hung out with the sinners, the “unclean,” and consistenatly castigated the Pharisaical law followers who cared more about rules than love and kindness and helping those who were in need.  

I mean, Jesus says you can’t really believe in him if you have hate for your brother, if you can’t forgive your brother.  So many times Jesus says in the Bible that he came to save us from “the law,” that there is now grace from “the law,” and that Christ redeemed us from the curse of “the law.”  It really bothers me when fundies use Old Testament laws to condemn certain sins while and conveniently disregard the Jesus part of the Bible. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Idk but it's likely. They make like half of all manufactured homes in the US.

I did not know this. I would say a manufactured home may be a good fit for Amanda and Russell. He’s in his 60s and it’s all one level. So having no stairs will be a plus as he gets older. And they don’t need a large home since they won’t have a bunch of kids. 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:22 AM, Palimpsest said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been inside a Roman Catholic church, either in the U.S. or elsewhere. But if it’s anything like the Russian Orthodox church we went in, I don’t think I’m interested!

Roman Catholics everywhere should rejoice.

To this ashat - Orthodox churches are more beautiful than most Roman Catholic churches, especially in the US (younger churches). I have been to one Russian Orthodox church, it was in Tver, I believe. It was the most beautiful church I had ever seen. It wasn't a grand church, it was kind of small and a little run down. I didn't get to see everything since a service was going on while we were there. The icons, how the walls were painted, the domes, all breathtaking. I am Roman Catholic and, of course, the icons were familiar (holy family, different saints, etc) so I lite a candle at one of the icons and gave thanks for my opportunity to see a drastically different country than the US and have such an eye opening opportunity (I was 17 when I went to Russia). 

You are right Palimpsest, Roman Catholics everywhere should rejoice they haven't come into their buildings to be such judgmental a-holes. 

On 1/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, Palimpsest said:

On the Opera House:

We came around the Sydney Opera House. It isn’t really all that impressive. It’s unique, but the individual tiles make it look kind of like a golf ball up close. Since I don’t like opera music and don’t believe it is even godly, I didn’t have any desire to go to it.

wow. Ok I am not a fan of opera. I appreciate the art but not a huge fan. As for opera music isn't even godly. How does she know? After a very quick google tactic I found this list of religious operas - 

Hans Pfitzner - Palestrina
Peter Maxwell Davies - Taverner
Kari Tikka - Luther
Francis Poulenc - Dialogues of the Carmelites
Giacomo Puccini - Suor Angelica
Krzysztof Penderecki - The Devils of Loudun, Paradise Lost
Paul Hindemith - Sancta Susanna
Rued Langgaard - Antikrist
Arrigo Boito - Mefistofele
Ferruccio Busoni - Doktor Faust
Alfred Schnittke - Historia von D. Johann Fausten
Charles Gounod - Faust
Fromental Halévy - Noé (Noah), and maybe: Le Juif errant (The Wandering Jew), La Juive (The Jewess)
Anton Rubinstein - Christus
Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Pilgrim's Progress

It depends a lot on what you regard as religious. If they are merely biography with a religious element such as Palestrina or dramas that simply take Greek Orfeo ed Euridice and biblical Nabucco characters.

I have no idea if they are religious because I have only seen the Phantom of the Opera but I am betting there are Christian themed operas and music. (The above list was from talkclassical.com - forum) 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Russell has been to all 48 contiguous states and prefers manual transmission cars. He is a deep thinker who enjoyed visiting the Ark Encounter Museum. (!!!)

Amanda has learned to love coffee since she got married, and loves anything John Deere.

Russell wears the most awful shorts , socks and sandals which do not suit his physique

BUT -They're kinda my pet fundies in a way- the young kids clearly love being with their uncle Russell and the pair of them take delight in small pleasures- growing tomatoes on their balcony, going out for breakfast occasionally, and celebrating their marriage with special christmas tree ornaments from vacation trips.

I feel somewhat sad but happy for them if you know what I mean

• Upvote 8

Oh! this is the thread where Moldova was talked about! I am reading "The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland" by Jim Defede and at lunch it mentioned a group of Moldovan refugees coming to the US. I couldn't remember where I had just read about Moldova :) What an odd coincidence. 

BTW - the book, very good. I haven't read much on 9/11 because I remember it vividly and have been to the Flight 93 memorial, this book is all about what one town, Gander, NF, did when 38 planes heading for the US had to land in Gander because the US air space was closed. A little teaser about the book. Gander, NF has a population of about 10,000. 6,595 passengers and crew members were diverted in this town until the air space was reopened. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Russell has been to all 48 contiguous states and prefers manual transmission cars. He is a deep thinker who enjoyed visiting the Ark Encounter Museum. (!!!)

Amanda has learned to love coffee since she got married, and loves anything John Deere.

Russell wears the most awful shorts , socks and sandals which do not suit his physique

BUT -They're kinda my pet fundies in a way- the young kids clearly love being with their uncle Russell and the pair of them take delight in small pleasures- growing tomatoes on their balcony, going out for breakfast occasionally, and celebrating their marriage with special christmas tree ornaments from vacation trips.

I feel somewhat sad but happy for them if you know what I mean

I can’t dislike them in the usual fundie way because it’s unlikely they will have children. If they do, they will shower that one child with so much attention and love that I can’t possibly have BEC for them. I usually have strong BEC for the fundies who treat their litters of children like garbage and abuse them mentally and physically. 

• Upvote 4

The youngest brother David ( married to Rachel) posted on FJ last summer ( Meet the 11smiths,aka the 11boringFundies ) and answered a couple of questions. Another brother Jonathan  has had a blog speaking out about the Gothard scandal.

More fundie- like  behaviour however is when eldest sister Melissa married in a Catholic church, they photoshopped out all the crucifixes in the photos

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Sops2 said:

The youngest brother David ( married to Rachel) posted on FJ last summer ( Meet the 11smiths,aka the 11boringFundies ) and answered a couple of questions. Another brother Jonathan  has had a blog speaking out about the Gothard scandal.

More fundie- like  behaviour however is when eldest sister Melissa married in a Catholic church, they photoshopped out all the crucifixes in the photos

Thank you!  I completely missed that thread and David's visit.

Here's the link to David's first post.  

and the family blog: http://11smiths.blogspot.com/

And Jonathan Smith on Gothard. http://jdsmith91.blogspot.com/2014/03/gothard-part-one-sexual-abuse.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Jonathan writes well- He has a much wider vocabulary and figures of speech than other family bloggers, 

I just looked back and saw that he has a law degree. Well done Jonathan- the brothers seem to have really branched out in to the world, but the sisters are SADs or have married similar conservative partners.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic