IGNORED

His Beloved Ruthie

EowynW

23 hours ago, Heather-Lu said:

One thing I never have nor ever will understand is how a precious innocent newborn baby is born with evil sin. I can't wrap my brain around it. No matter how hard I try to understand the logic I just don't get it. 

Well, I will admit to moments of wondering if my child or one I'm dealing with is either demon-spawn or just possessed... :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Seriously, though. As frustrating as they can be, they're little and still trying to figure out big stuff like communication and feelings and what they actually want and need. This isn't being evil, this is trying to figure out how to be a human being. They'll screw up eventually anyway, is it really necessary to put that burden on them so early?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Well, I will admit to moments of wondering if my child or one I'm dealing with is either demon-spawn or just possessed... :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Seriously, though. As frustrating as they can be, they're little and still trying to figure out big stuff like communication and feelings and what they actually want and need. This isn't being evil, this is trying to figure out how to be a human being. They'll screw up eventually anyway, is it really necessary to put that burden on them so early?

Definitely had moments with my youngest foster son, then nephew, then best friend's son when it just felt helpful to call them a "little a***ole" or "bloody bastard" in my mind. Colic and/or severe dysregulation and/or silent reflux can seriously make you start thinking (even if it is jokingly) that the infant is basically punishment for not believing in God when you're super sleep deprived and are going on your 3rd or 4th hour of inconsolable screaming. 

Of course, I never really thought any of the three to be evil and I love them to death. My experience with my foster son helped me to help my nephew's mom and my best friend with their boys. When they'd break emotionally and call me to their place, I'd just walk in and grab the screaming baby and say variants of (in a playful, cooing, and soothing tone, no malice or raised voice), "You little shit- I get that you can't help this and are distressed but seriously, kid?! You are full on and being an a**hole. Let's tell Mama to go sleep!" I will happily tell all three of them that I called them that when they're adults. I moved in to help with my best friend's kid. I say with tongue in cheek, #neverforget the ability of colicky/dysregulated/undiagnosed-sick/reflux-y babies to make you believe there is a hell when you're also in borderline psychosis due to sleep deprivation ?

But in the womb? That they aren't innocent is crazy talk.

Hospitality is the new "in thing" and it is having the heathens at the house to convert them through your "amayzing spontaneous" hospitality.  Rosaria Butterfield (pastor's wife and former lesbian) is a huge advocate of everyone inviting every random person into their homes.  Who cares about safety and staying within a budget: Hospitality dammit.   
This spin on hospitality is like Jehovah's Witnesses in reverse. It's very dishonest.

And....

Ain't no such thing as a former lesbian. One simply chooses to pretend that the elephant in the room isn't an elephant. I tried to fix the elephant with marriage to a man and birthing four kids. After a dozen years I embraced the elephant and lived happily ever after

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, nausicaa said:

Very interesting that she goes to McLean Bible Church. Not only is that a bit of a hike from where she lives in Rockville, but I also thought it was an evangelical mega church of the Baptist flavor. 

For those of you interested in these things, it seems the church is undergoing a similar Calvinist shift as the general SBC, with similar criticism:

https://wonderingeagle.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/preserving-mclean-bibles-statement-on-calvinism/

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/07/23/mclean-bible-churchs-apparent-theological-shift/

EXACTLY what I was going to say. McLean Bible Church was one of the first things I noticed. Pretty much nuff. sed.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, kpmom said:

Maybe it involves putting some kind of expensive oil on your guests feet and then wiping those feet with your hair?

One of those Bible stories that always grossed me out in Sunday School! : )

Do I want someone wiping my oily feet with their hair? Uh, no thanks.

Also--Do I want to be washed in the blood of a Lamb? Hard pass on that.

11 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

I. Am. HERE for this whole thread. It reminds me so much of so many family members, and it feels good and validating.

It's such a relief to me. I should've shared her long ago. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, Palimpsest said:

See, I thought @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?'s analogy was perfect and I like pizza.

But I recently described Fundiedom as a gallimaufry in conversation.  Perhaps you'd prefer that.

How about "Cafeteria Christianity"? Take what appeals to you from a buffet of options. Let's see, I think I'll have the "Little House on the Prairie" style of modesty, with a side of homeschooling, and for my MLM, I'll try the Young Living Essential Oils. Oh, and generous helpings of racism and homophobia, of course. By the way, you're going to hell for having  the pants-wearing, Christmas tree in the house, and college for your daughters combo.

Fallout 76, the game that her husband was working on, has been universally panned--which is strange, because the series is highly regarded. Guess Jesus had more important things to do.

The rich wasteland map of Fallout 76 is wasted on a mess of bugs, conflicting ideas, and monotony.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/22/fallout-76-review

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

She's back on her soapbox. Bitching about people who fight against racism but not abortion. 

UGGGGGGGGGGGGH!  What a dumb bitch.  POC are the most affected when unable to access safe and appropriate reproductive care; in fact it can kill them.  @EowynW so sorry you have had to put up with this righteous walking geriatric womb and baby beater.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, NotQuiteMotY said:

Speaking of little ones still trying to figure stuff out, I just had to post this video.

Spoiler

13 hours ago, EowynW said:

She's back on her soapbox. Bitching about people who fight against racism but not abortion. 

Yes, this is clearly the problem with evangelical Christianity. All anyone ever talks about is "how do we create a society free from racial injustice?" or "how do we meaningfully undo the wrongs that our own movement committed in the past?" I mean do any evangelicals even care at all about abortion? You certainly never hear them mention it.

Ugh, if only that were the world we lived in.

4 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Yes, this is clearly the problem with evangelical Christianity. All anyone ever talks about is "how do we create a society free from racial injustice?" or "how do we meaningfully undo the wrongs that our own movement committed in the past?" I mean do any evangelicals even care at all about abortion? You certainly never hear them mention it.

Ugh, if only that were the world we lived in.

The Guardian is posting a lot about race in America and I love it. What struck me the most is that we need to stop thinking of racist/not-racist, and instead think about racist/anti-racist. See the shift, dear Ruthie? The first is where we sweet racism under the rug and feel proud of ourselves. The second is when we work to eliminate racism and stay humble and open when new information is learned.

In her recent post she talks about her daughter being more than her color. Her daughter will grow up quite privileged so it made me ?

She used to be a slightly more decent person up until she became a mom. Being a mom has brought her Christian bitchyness out into the open a lot more. 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Aine said:

Definitely had moments with my youngest foster son, then nephew, then best friend's son when it just felt helpful to call them a "little a***ole" or "bloody bastard" in my mind. Colic and/or severe dysregulation and/or silent reflux can seriously make you start thinking (even if it is jokingly) that the infant is basically punishment for not believing in God when you're super sleep deprived and are going on your 3rd or 4th hour of inconsolable screaming. 

Of course, I never really thought any of the three to be evil and I love them to death. My experience with my foster son helped me to help my nephew's mom and my best friend with their boys. When they'd break emotionally and call me to their place, I'd just walk in and grab the screaming baby and say variants of (in a playful, cooing, and soothing tone, no malice or raised voice), "You little shit- I get that you can't help this and are distressed but seriously, kid?! You are full on and being an a**hole. Let's tell Mama to go sleep!" I will happily tell all three of them that I called them that when they're adults. I moved in to help with my best friend's kid. I say with tongue in cheek, #neverforget the ability of colicky/dysregulated/undiagnosed-sick/reflux-y babies to make you believe there is a hell when you're also in borderline psychosis due to sleep deprivation ?

But in the womb? That they aren't innocent is crazy talk.

One of our pediatricians made a bet that he could get our patients to fall asleep just as fast by reading them the phone book instead of stories, since only your tone matters - he was right :D

Whoever decided that the March For Life should be the same week as MLK Jr. Day must have been trying to engineer the conditions for the world's worst opinions to be unleashed on the internet every year. It maxes out both of the white fundie lady emotions: 1) Pro Life and 2) Uncomfortable About Anti-Racism.

12 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Whoever decided that the March For Life should be the same week as MLK Jr. Day must have been trying to engineer the conditions for the world's worst opinions to be unleashed on the internet every year. It maxes out both of the white fundie lady emotions: 1) Pro Life and 2) Uncomfortable About Anti-Racism.

Anti-racism is the best term, isn't it? And you are spot on about the weird schedule "coincidence".

12 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

Anti-racism is the best term, isn't it? And you are spot on about the weird schedule "coincidence".

It is a good way to look at it. Racism is socialized by the media and so many things and even people from privileged groups who are explicitly not racist and even actively try and recognize their privilege and things can implicitly take part in racist actions or policy due to blind-spots. I'd argue that it makes them 'not racist' if they are open to listening and learning about these things and then take active steps to change. I mean, there are so so so many studies replicated and replicated that show even the majority of black Americans see 'white' as 'favorable' in implicit tests and a good body of evidence to show it explicitly too. The media and our societal structure has a lot to answer to.

I appreciate the movement of delineating anti-racist, apathetic racist, and racist. I put people who claim they "don't see color" in the 'apathetic racist' column. We can't move forward as a society until we recognize that racism and the institutions that hold back people of color are there and are holding so many back and all of us, especially those with power, take active steps to undo that.

Not being versed in fundie speak, (and her insta posts are dripping with it) what is "Jehovah Shammah"?  I know who Jehovah is, but Shammah?

OMG there is an online community of fundie speak writers she belongs to:  Hope writers  [from today's instagram] " If you, too, are ready to take a leap in your writing dreams, today is the last day to join this amazing mentor team and community! Go to link in my profile — hopewriters.com or @hopewriters !" 

Much like Braggie, this one is so shiny, happy, sparkling, "humble", Jesusy, sweet (not) she makes my teeth ache.

59 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Not being versed in fundie speak, (and her insta posts are dripping with it) what is "Jehovah Shammah"?  I know who Jehovah is, but Shammah?

OMG there is an online community of fundie speak writers she belongs to:  Hope writers  [from today's instagram] " If you, too, are ready to take a leap in your writing dreams, today is the last day to join this amazing mentor team and community! Go to link in my profile — hopewriters.com or @hopewriters !" 

Much like Braggie, this one is so shiny, happy, sparkling, "humble", Jesusy, sweet (not) she makes my teeth ache.

She really does have that speak nailed down perfectly, doesn't she? And her being a "writer" is news to me. 

On 1/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, kpmom said:

She describes herself like this,

Mama to Evangelynn Advocate for Life Gospel Hospitality Truth & Grace

Is that all one thing, or she against commas? 

That's a puritanical name if I ever saw one.  

Archived