IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, 241 said:

The story told by my father- an elder at our church, Heritage, was that Lisa was greatly accepted by both Vesta and R.C. Sr and thought the kids would adjust in time.

According to this statement, she's saying her father is an elder at Heritage, which we know is in Virginia.  Was Darby living in Virginia in the last 3 years?  She stated elsewhere about Darby asking her and others from the church to watch Lisa's Facebook page or something like that.  It doesn't add up.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Ok, after looking up Laurence Windham, according to his Facebook page, he is a pastor at Saint Peter Presbyterian Church, which is located in Bristol....either Virginia or Tennessee.  I just got a geography lesson that the street apparently runs down the center of the two cities, dividing the states?  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  Here is the leadership team at Saint Peters Presbyterian Church.  That must mean the quote above, from 241, the two possible churches involved are Heritage and Saint Peters.....if anything she states is correct.

• Thank You 2

7 hours ago, 241 said:

Good grief! I’m not married to RC.  Either this is paranoia or really bad judgement.

Well, just a few days ago you were telling everyone how @Flyinthesoup is actually secretly Darby, so obviously we're not the only paranoid ones. :D That said, I know you're not really Lisa because you haven't once mentioned what a "hot babe" Lisa is!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Ok, after looking up Laurence Windham, according to his Facebook page, he is a pastor at Saint Peter Presbyterian Church, which is located in Bristol....either Virginia or Tennessee.  I just got a geography lesson that the street apparently runs down the center of the two cities, dividing the states?  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  Here is the leadership team at Saint Peters Presbyterian Church.  That must mean the quote above, from 241, the two possible churches involved are Heritage and Saint Peters.....if anything she states is correct.

St. Peter has several parishes in the Bristol, Va/Tn  area.  The main one Jr was pastoring (until 2010ish?) was in the extreeeeemely tiny and remote Mendota, Va.  They went to Florida when that blew up.  Darby now lives in Centerville Tn, several hundred miles away from St. Peter, and presumably attends Heritage Church, pastored by Marion Lovett.  On the website for Highlands Ministries (the faux-cultural-significance and publishing arm of St. Peter, Junior's real baby), Lovett is listed as a Highlands Fellow, one of "a group of likeminded pastors from around the country" who contribute to Highlands publications. 

Junior now attends neither church and I wonder how he is in any kind of good standing with either of them, but, ya know. 

And yes, State Street runs down the middle of Bristol and divides the Tennessee and Virginia sides.  It's cool.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

49 minutes ago, mountaineer said:

St. Peter has several parishes in the Bristol, Va/Tn  area.  The main one Jr was pastoring (until 2010ish?) was in the extreeeeemely tiny and remote Mendota, Va.  They went to Florida when that blew up.  Darby now lives in Centerville Tn, several hundred miles away from St. Peter, and presumably attends Heritage Church, pastored by Marion Lovett.  On the website for Highlands Ministries (the faux-cultural-significance and publishing arm of St. Peter, Junior's real baby), Lovett is listed as a Highlands Fellow, one of "a group of likeminded pastors from around the country" who contribute to Highlands publications. 

Junior now attends neither church and I wonder how he is in any kind of good standing with either of them, but, ya know. 

And yes, State Street runs down the middle of Bristol and divides the Tennessee and Virginia sides.  It's cool.

Thank you for that information!  Wow, it's so confusing!  So then, if 241 goes to the same church as Darby, that would mean she goes to Heritage, do I have that correct?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Flyinthesoup said:

So then, if 241 goes to the same church as Darby, that would mean she goes to Heritage, do I have that correct?  

That appears to be what she was trying to imply and why I questioned it. 

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

That appears to be what she was trying to imply and why I questioned it. 

If she does and is telling stories out of session, she or he should be brought up on charges of gossip, slander and something else.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

I think there is a whole different breed of crazy in these churches. They don't seem sincere in the finer humility of Christianity.  I think anything possible. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

I think there is a whole different breed of crazy in these churches. They don't seem sincere in the finer humility of Christianity.  I think anything possible. 

Is this the Protestant version of SSPV?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

Is this the Protestant version of SSPV?

Just googled-- I hadn't heard of the Society of St. Pius V, but from what little I know of Latin-mass-only proponents, YES it is like that.  It is all about claiming a spiritual high ground via intellectual superiority and/or a more rigorous reading of a very specific set of theologians.  It is the certainty that their understanding of God is on a totally different plane than regular people's.  Not just, "I'm right about who God is and you're not," but "Aw, bless your heart, how could you possibly know who God is if you haven't studied everything I've studied?"  They like Latin, too.

The younger generation is very big on dropping arcane doctrinal terminology into their memes. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

What’s SSPV?

I was going to ask the same thing, I see it's been answered!  I had no clue!

3 hours ago, mountaineer said:

Just googled-- I hadn't heard of the Society of St. Pius V, but from what little I know of Latin-mass-only proponents, YES it is like that.  It is all about claiming a spiritual high ground via intellectual superiority and/or a more rigorous reading of a very specific set of theologians.  It is the certainty that their understanding of God is on a totally different plane than regular people's.  Not just, "I'm right about who God is and you're not," but "Aw, bless your heart, how could you possibly know who God is if you haven't studied everything I've studied?"  They like Latin, too.

The younger generation is very big on dropping arcane doctrinal terminology into their memes. 

Very informative, thank you.  I did not know this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mountaineer said:

Latin-mass-only proponents

May I present to you Ms. Latin Mass Only, more Catholic than the Pope, batshit crazy  Ann Barnhardt.   She ooozes gentle Christian humility.  Oh, who am I kidding.  She burned a Koran bookmarked with bacon in public.  Here, in her own words....

From the "About" section of her eponymous website: Barnhardt

Spoiler

After years of reading and research, trying earnestly to disprove or discredit it, and despite the fact that the Kennedy family is Roman Catholic, I was received into the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church on April 7, ARSH 2007.  As this was before Summorum Pontificum, I was unaware of the Latin Mass parish in Denver, and thus entered the Church in a Novus Ordo parish, through the “RCIA” program.  Novus Ordo Masses, while illicit, are indeed (mostly) valid, and Our Lord is physically present therein.  I know this for a metaphysical certitude.  I am NOT a sedevacantist.  It is precisely because the Novus Ordo Masses are valid that the sacrilege built into the Rite by Bugnini and the other infiltrators matters, and why the Novus Ordo Rite MUST be exterminated as quickly as possible.  There will be no civilizational recovery so long as the Novus Ordo remains.

On April 3, ARSH 2011, after seeing Sen. Lindsey Graham advocate for Sharia Law and the punishing of American citizens who “disrespected” the islamic political system and its manifesto, the koran, I rebutted Graham’s remarks and then burned a koran – bookmarked with raw bacon – and concluded by announcing my address and inviting all musloid and/or FEDGOV comers to come and get a piece of me.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 2

I went to a Society of St Pius X mass here in my home town for the experience. ? SSPV are a breakaway group from SSPX. From the SSPX website: 

".....we refuse and have always refused to follow the Rome of the neo-Modernist and neo-Protestant tendency that clearly manifested itself in the Second Vatican Council and after the Council in all the reforms that resulted from it.”

The highlights? I was given a doily to put on my head to cover my hair. The priest conducted the entire mass facing the altar coz that's where God is don'tcherknow. The congregation read through their missals for almost the whole service (I'm betting very few among them understood Latin even if they could hear the priest). The sermon (when the priest finally faced us) was a fire and brimstone affair that told us where we were on the hierarchy of obeying eg women obeying men obeying priests obeying the church (or at least the bits before Vatican 2) obeying God. The evil government wasn't mentioned. Priest placed the wafer directly into the congregants mouths during Communion because probably we're too sinful to touch it ourselves.

I'm guessing an SSPV service would be very similar to a SSPX one.

The Southern Poverty Law Centre has a report on SSPX because of their horrible views. The founder was a hideous anti-Semite and supporter of the Nazis.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

I went to a Society of St Pius X mass here in my home town for the experience. ? SSPV are a breakaway group from SSPX. From the SSPX website: 

".....we refuse and have always refused to follow the Rome of the neo-Modernist and neo-Protestant tendency that clearly manifested itself in the Second Vatican Council and after the Council in all the reforms that resulted from it.”

The highlights? I was given a doily to put on my head to cover my hair. The priest conducted the entire mass facing the altar coz that's where God is don'tcherknow. The congregation read through their missals for almost the whole service (I'm betting very few among them understood Latin even if they could hear the priest). The sermon (when the priest finally faced us) was a fire and brimstone affair that told us where we were on the hierarchy of obeying eg women obeying men obeying priests obeying the church (or at least the bits before Vatican 2) obeying God. The evil government wasn't mentioned. Priest placed the wafer directly into the congregants mouths during Communion because probably we're too sinful to touch it ourselves.

I'm guessing an SSPV service would be very similar to a SSPX one.

The Southern Poverty Law Centre has a report on SSPX because of their horrible views. The founder was a hideous anti-Semite and supporter of the Nazis.

They left over something about a missal being too modern.  They remind me of Spanky and his (former) gang.  

• Upvote 5

Ann-Barnhardt.jpg.77dad13310ca0f4bd98ed8e85e0ff016.jpg

Here's Ann Barnhardt, from her 2011 explanation of the Koran-burning stunt, on the Answering Muslims website. I'm worried that her gun clashes with her blouse.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 7

Oh my gosh, I remember that picture.  She's a crazy one, all right.  I'd be interested in hearing about her childhood, and if her family is anything like she is.  Her comment about converting to Catholicism even though the Kennedy family was Catholic was...odd. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

Reading this laid it on my heart to check in on Christendom's Most Eligible Bachelor.  Not surprisingly, he is still seeking his ideal Traditional Catholic woman, aged 19 - 27, US Citizen, no tattoos and only single ear piercings allowed, must attend or be willing to attend Tridentine Mass, and is preferably named Jillian.  https://catholiclookforwife.blogspot.com/

However, if you are a misguided Novus Ordo woman meeting most of the above criteria, he will consider your application.  Especially if your name is Jillian. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/321263112/A-Letter-to-Novus-Ordo-Young-Catholic-Women#from_embed

Please pray for repentance before your first date, which will be attending a Tridentine Mass.  If you click with him, attending this Mass will be a weekly requirement.

And please note:  He may have to move to New Hampshire, so living in the greater Boston area is no longer required.  

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 3

13 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

No photo of this catch?  Chris Whittle, I mean. 

There are some videos online if you search his site.  He is a rather sad and deluded person, estranged from his family, can be creepy about women, and we hope he is harmless.  If he didn't want to marry a Jillian and have children he could be the next follower of Pope Michael.  https://www.vaticaninexile.com/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bawden

Oh, strike that.  He'd probably disagree with Pope Michael too!

We discussed Chris here:

• Thank You 3

Tangent on “traditional Catholics”:
The whole SSPX and FSSP thing is so damn weird. They’re not even considered religious orders by the church - they’re secular because the priests might be ordained but the don’t make vows in a community that’s formally recognized by the Church.
So all of this WE’RE MORE CATHOLIC THAN YOU attitude is coming from people in a secular organization that’s not recognized as a legitimate religious community by the Church.
And the conservative crap around “oooo, Lain Mass, we’re such rebels, lookit” is just....stupid. There’s no rules against the Extraordinary Form (ie, Tridentine or any mass said in Ecclesiastical Latin) being celebrated. Your priest wants to do a EF mass? Have at it, my dude, Pope Benedict okay’ed anyone wanting to use it in 2007. Pope Paul saw all forms of the Latin Mass as politically charged symbolic acts (he wasn’t wrong) challenging Papal authority, so from the 1970s to 1984, celebrating any form of the Latin Mass was Uncool With The Pope. But for the last THIRTY FOUR(ish) years, ain’t nobody stopping Catholics from celebrating the Latin Mass. Such rebel. Very wow.

If you’re having a slow day and you find religious infighting amusing (guilty), you can always check out the fighting over every single “recent” change of rite - 1955 AND 1962 AND 1969-1970. Claims of fraud! Threats of apostasy! Schism potential!

(And then there’s Opus Dei, which is straight-up creepy but not like Dan Brown portrayed them, even most of the Traditionalists side-eye them because there’s a pretty direct connection between a bail-out of the Vatican Bank and the Vatican recognizing Opus Dei. Again, if you’re into that kind of thing, it’s interesting to read about.)
TL;DR Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Thank You 7
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, LydiaAnn said:

A quick search on his name found this:

Yes.  He flunked out of architecture school.  Noxious beliefs aside, there is something up with him.   I think we decided that he is surviving on disability because he is basically unemployable.   I hope his Trad Church community is keeping an eye out for his well-being.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic