IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

BARF! So Spanky's big problem is being a ginger?

This is so stupid. So perfect for Precious.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I wouldn't rank that in the Top 100 of Spanky's problems.

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 4

Word on the grocery store magazine rack is that Megan has persuaded Harry to quit liquor AND caffeine. Can First Lady Lisa match that with Prince Precious ?

• Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 13

18 minutes ago, BobJonesBabe said:

And Lisa's basically believing she's drop-dead gorgeous and otherwise out of Spanky's reach? 

I think the reason she posts all of those things relating to her "attractiveness" is because she is so insecure in her relationship with Spanky.  Lisa could very well believe she is drop dead gorgeous but still feel like Spanky could do better than her.  Actually, there was like a whole movement built around the idea that men could get women out of their league by basically treating them like shit.  And these women would somehow believe that they were the lucky ones to be with these guys, not vice versa.  It's called negging, which basically means you emotionally manipulate your "love" interest by purposely giving them backhanded compliments or by saying something flirty to another woman in front of them.  And it essentially erodes the woman's confidence and she begins to seek and need the approval of this guy who has manipulated her into feeling less than.

It's super sneaky, and IMHO, a version of gaslighting. In my experience with negging, it was usually some form of "you are so lucky to be with me because I could do so much better than you and you could never do better than me."  And I can totally see Spanky reminding Lisa that the pool of fifth husband prospects is very very very shallow.  

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Word on the grocery store magazine rack is that Megan has persuaded Harry to quit liquor AND caffeine. Can First Lady Lisa match that with Prince Precious ?

I've had years of my life go by without having any alcohol (and other years with alcohol ;) ), but I'm not completely giving up my caffeine until someone pries my teacup from my cold dead hand!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 9

1 hour ago, BobJonesBabe said:

And Lisa's basically believing she's drop-dead gorgeous and otherwise out of Spanky's reach? 

They're both paddling furiously on the river of Denial---

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Yeah, Spanky was pushing that on Twitter recently. No doubt they are having financial issues, when you consider Spanky's DUI and subsequent legal bills, rehab costs, and forced job resignation all coming within a couple of months of their wedding. I'm sure it is NOT what Lisa "First Lady of the Sproul Home" thought she was signing up for.

Speaking of, I hadn't looked at her Instagram in awhile and somehow missed this one.

I have no words.

Implying that Spanky has never "had a beautiful bride" before. Imagine being that threatened by-- and jealous of-- a dead woman. 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Implying that Spanky has never "had a beautiful bride" before. Imagine being that threatened by-- and jealous of-- a dead woman. 

What a gross thought. 

Can anybody else imagine the second Mrs. Sproul doing the “boom!” & mic drop as she oh-so-decorously turned to leave the cemetery?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 3

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

What a gross thought. 

Can anybody else imagine the second Mrs. Sproul doing the “boom!” & mic drop as she oh-so-decorously turned to leave the cemetery?

What’s so sad to me is that Denise was probably trying to be what Spanky wanted his fundie wife to be, or at least what he purported to want her to be.  She produced a bunch of children in a short amount of time, wore denim frumpers, homeschooled the bunch of children, and submitted so much so that she allowed him to spank her when she was naughty.  Which one might initially think was a bedroom roleplaying scenario, but no, it was actually him spanking her as a punishment for her misbehavior.  She did want she was told, she tried to be what he wanted.  So she had to live that way and then died a long and painful death at such a young age. But was that the final blow to Denise? No. It was Spanky saying that he had been dead for years before his wife died and Spanky rebuking his MIL for posting pictures to Denise’s Facebook page.  

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 10
  • I Agree 3

Can somebody answer a question for me? I fully believe RC Jr is capable of wife-spanking, but I'd like to know if we have more information than the one anecdote from a parishioner who was visiting their home. Did he ever preach on domestic discipline, or advocate for physical abuse? I'd appreciate being steered in the right direction!

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, punkiepie said:

What’s so sad to me is that Denise was probably trying to be what Spanky wanted his fundie wife to be, or at least what he purported to want her to be.  She produced a bunch of children in a short amount of time, wore denim frumpers, homeschooled the bunch of children, and submitted so much so that she allowed him to spank her when she was naughty.  Which one might initially think was a bedroom roleplaying scenario, but no, it was actually him spanking her as a punishment for her misbehavior.  She did want she was told, she tried to be what he wanted.  So she had to live that way and then died a long and painful death at such a young age. But was that the final blow to Denise? No. It was Spanky saying that he had been dead for years before his wife died and Spanky rebuking his MIL for posting pictures to Denise’s Facebook page.  

Yes.  Exactly this.  I would add a couple of asterisks to the above-- (a) I don't feel certain enough that the spanking stories are true to focus on that detail, and (b) wasn't it Lisa, not Jr himself, who told the internet that he said he'd been dead inside and unhappy for his whole adult life?-- but the point remains: she sacrificed so much for him, including most likely her dignity, and now he cannot even tolerate the existence of pictures of the two of them together.  He cannot even treat her family with respect.  It makes me livid.  I never even met the woman and I'm just so angry and heartbroken on her behalf.

I'd never heard of the show, "You," referenced in Darby's tweet, but I was not surprised to learn the scene is a stepdaughter confronting a stepmother.  Only in that case the next line is "Newsflash! He was sober when you met him."

• Upvote 11

18 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Can somebody answer a question for me? I fully believe RC Jr is capable of wife-spanking, but I'd like to know if we have more information than the one anecdote from a parishioner who was visiting their home. Did he ever preach on domestic discipline, or advocate for physical abuse? I'd appreciate being steered in the right direction!

It’s curcumstantial, I suppose, but the quote labeled 19 on here shows he didn’t consider it unthinkable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

6 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

It’s curcumstantial, I suppose, but the quote labeled 19 on here shows he didn’t consider it unthinkable. 

Thank you. He's got many obvious problems, for sure. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Julie’s Spiritual Sounding Board is kind of like my People magazine for fundies. If People writes it, then I will probably believe it’s true. Same with SSB. She is usually very careful with her sourcing because SSB has been the target of litigious fundies.  Had the spanking just been in the comments section, that would be one thing, but she devoted an entire post to it, which makes me think that she had several credible sources.  

Its kind of like the Josh Duggar and Oprah thing- it was spoken about for years, even on here,  but it because it seemed so crazy, most people thought of it as just the rumor mill run amok. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, punkiepie said:

According to this post by Lisa, https://thepurposedrivenwife.com/f/journey-of-faith her last husband, who I think is the Jewish husband, was a family practice doctor that was indicted by the DEA for writing fraudulent prescriptions. 

This might also explain the acquisition of  the uber fancy McMansion house of which she considers herself to be "queen" 

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

also from that list: RC Sproul Jr. on why women shouldn't be permitted to blog or have web sites:

"People are teaching who shouldn't be teaching. And people are learning where they ought not to be learning. A husband who loses his wife to a hook-up with some internet Lothario is probably better off than one who returns from work to find his wife safely at home, but having been seduced into Rome by some charming blogger."

Oh hi, Lisa!

I knew he had said something about women not blogging. Thanks for the goldmine of RCJr quotes! ? 

Edited by BobJonesBabe
computer glitched - double post
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, punkiepie said:

Julie’s Spiritual Sounding Board is kind of like my People magazine for fundies. If People writes it, then I will probably believe it’s true. Same with SSB. She is usually very careful with her sourcing because SSB has been the target of litigious fundies.  Had the spanking just been in the comments section, that would be one thing, but she devoted an entire post to it, which makes me think that she had several credible sources.  

Its kind of like the Josh Duggar and Oprah thing- it was spoken about for years, even on here,  but it because it seemed so crazy, most people thought of it as just the rumor mill run amok. 

https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/01/03/the-christian-patriarchy-movements-dark-secret-of-wife-spanking/

From One Of Julie Anne’s responses in the discussion following that blog post:

”... As far as RC Sproul, Jr. goes – you are mistaken, there were 2 men I quoted in the article and I spoke with a pastor who shared his personal experience, so that’s 3 individuals. I have the pastor’s name, phone number, and e-mail address that I spoke with. This pastor is legit. During our conversation, I was searching online and I found his church online, sermons online, pictures of him, etc. I believe these three individuals because they all share the same details. ...”

Glad you asked about our sources, @Lisafer.  I didn’t think we were going on only one anecdote but over the years the info had gotten replaced in my memory banks. Always good - but not pleasant - to have confidence in regard to the details. As disturbing as they are. *shudder*

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

From One Of Julie Anne’s responses in the discussion following that blog post:

Yes, thank you, @MamaJunebug -- that's the post from SSB and here's a direct link to the entire comment of Julie Anne's you've quoted above.

@Lisafer -- to the extent one can, Julie Anne verified the anecdotal accounts of R.C. Sproul, Jr.'s abusive treatment of his late wife, Denise, by locating the individuals who first shared them.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

And this is hearsay, but in thinking of his disrespectful treatment of Denise's memory now, I remember reading that she wanted to cook healthy food, but he insisted on junk food or that she prepare prepackaged convenience food for the family (full of preservatives and artificial colors and flavors, rather than fresh fruits and vegetables and the like). If I'm remembering right, one of their kids, or one of her friends, blamed him (because of his insistence on unhealthy food and the stress he and his demands inflicted on Denise) for some of her health problems.

But again, this is hearsay. It's been long enough that I don't even remember where I heard/read this. I just know that I heard/read it somewhere, FWIW.

Maybe someone else here will remember it better than I do.

ETA: I'm not saying that preservatives and artificial colors and flavors and eating packaged food do (or do not) cause cancer. Just repeating some gossip I heard somewhere.

Edited by refugee
clarification
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes, thank you, @MamaJunebug -- that's the post from SSB and here's a direct link to the entire comment of Julie Anne's you've quoted above.

@Lisafer -- to the extent one can, Julie Anne verified the anecdotal accounts of R.C. Sproul, Jr.'s abusive treatment of his late wife, Denise, by locating the individuals who first shared them.  

I don’t want to seem like I always disagree with this, but I still retain some skepticism of this particular atrocity. It’s not that I think the man incapable of such a thing, or that I wish to defend the dirt bag; I just don’t feel as sure of it as some. 

Darby and I are both in a Facebook group in which this subject came up and judging by her response, it’s BS. Certainly she could be trying to protect her mother’s memory from something shameful or embarrassing, but I don’t think she would be trying to protect her father based on her recent behavior toward him on social media. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, punkiepie said:

What’s so sad to me is that Denise was probably trying to be what Spanky wanted his fundie wife to be, or at least what he purported to want her to be. 

True. Christian patriarchy demands that women give up everything: their sense of self, their boundaries, their time and labor (SO MUCH LABOR)... Self-sacrifice is their religion. And where the dogma says this self-sacrifice is supposed to be rewarded (by husband/daddy), over and over we see these Reformed assholes who are perfectly happy to benefit from these sacrifices and take everything these women have, and then ruthlessly fuck them over. Exibit A, BRADRICK! Exhibit B, Sproul Jr. There's no doubt in my mind that Christian patriarchy was never for a minute about the religion and has always been about enabling men to consume and expend women with zero consequences.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

Knowing this family personally they were “off” for a long time. Lisa is just someone to blame   “Blaming” seems to be the moto starting at the top of the food chain in this family or ministry.  There really isn’t a nice way to nuance bullying. According to EC & Darby,, Vesta has their back. She had been against them- but felt pressure of appearances and was afraid she would be looked at as rejecting her own grandkids after they got caught and were warned to keep it hush hush. EC is attending our church now too. She and her younger siblings were adopted by Lisa and according to EC, she and Maili had to give the court consent if they wanted to be adopted. They had a choice and they “chose” to  give consent and be adopted wanting Lisa to be there “mom” and Denise’s parents also consented. I know this for a fact. Both EC and Maili were “cut off” from their older siblings because they hated Lisa and were burdening their younger sisters with guilt, as though they had been disloyal. As much as ugly step-mother’s get a bad rap, Lisa has gotten it. EC said the younger boys do not remember Denise. They were 5 & just barely 2 when Denise died- she was dying when they chose to adopt- so she knew wasn’t going to live long- which kind of baffles me why you would adopt then.

I followed the memorial on Denise’s page-ridiculous. No one wants to see all that drama. And Darby does admit it was her fathers memorial page he deleted and with her “genetic bullying” strategy admits how she got it resurrected. Her dad confronts her. Betty Lou starts tagging for people to come and fight for her- it’s like they are all 12yo. One thing I have to say a fight was breaking out! Everyone felt entitled to their opinions. 

So many layers here- Convoluted. Toxic. Layers.  

The story told by my father- an elder at our church, Heritage, was that Lisa was greatly accepted by both Vesta and R.C. Sr and thought the kids would adjust in time.

The biggest rumor that started came out of Darby’s role as her fathers assistant at the time. She had his password and was privy to his email. RCJR told his presbytery of his interest in Lisa. Due to the fact he was an ordained pastor, at that time, presbytery’s role was to approve that Lisa’s divorce was legitimate.  That’s where the mess came- they exploited the situation. They wanted to put Lisa through the grid. It backfired on them. The goal was to decide whether Lisa qualified as an elders wife- Jr and sr both fought presbytery, because they were not following the Westminster Confession- (by which we are ruled in our church govt. ) They were wanting and hoping to succeed at pushing their own agenda- not all were “in” but some held permanence views and were pushing their views not the confessional. Then all were shocked when RCJr requested his demital. Then rumors spread- two weeks after his approved resignation he married Lisa.

Darby, the ring leader, broken into her fathers email- because she knew his password, she forwarded herself her father’s private, presbytery minutes boastfully began to share a seven page report of the their preliminary thoughts- not approved judgements.  Darby shared it with me- I was one of the first she confided in. She shared it with several friends and family. She began her crusade against her father and his choice in a wife. War broke out. She wishes she could change it but refuses to stop. She has gone so far she now doesn’t want anyone to even mention her father to her. She’s getting counseling  outside our church.  I don’t have a stepparent- and don’t know how I’d handhelds it- but I would try not to destroy the chance to even try. 

Darby, a married women and her siblings began threatening Lisa. Darby boasted outrageously on private FB groups and I, among others here, have been privy to her one sided views.  Her fathers FB is blocked from the bigs and now family members according to Darby- and probably for good reason. I don’t care who it is- but if I was knowingly stalked or had my FB used for snark or pictures I would close down the option- ?

The truth is Darby is *outraged* her father has other kids in his life and grandchildren- but as she was counseled -it could have been different for her.  Darby shared that Lisa sent a hug box of wrapped presents for the boys from both of them and has sent presents during other holidays- but doesn’t want anyone knowing that or they will change “their mind” regarding Lisa. She’s outraged Lisa’s grandkids call RCJr grandpa.  

Several of the women from our church reached out to Lisa- I pknow of four. Four, who have had conversations with her via phone. Apologizing and embarrassed for the rumors. All have kept this from Darby.

I’m ashamed of my tribe- they are the epitome of what Christians are not. 

Edited by 241
  • Move Along 11
  • WTF 4

Mighty word salad! I hope you are not in the position of homeschooling anybody @241, I feel like I, an ESL person, would do a better job.

28 minutes ago, 241 said:

I followed the memorial on Denise’s page-ridiculous. No one wants to see all that drama. And Darby does admit it was her fathers memorial page he deleted and with her “genetic bullying” strategy admits how she got it resurrected. Her dad confronts her. Betty Lou starts tagging for people to come and fight for her- it’s like they are all 12yo. I’ve thing I have to say is it’s only with those folks- not outside. Entitled to destroy. 

This is such a rambling nonsense. Was it Denise's page or Precious' memorial page? 

WTF is "genetic bullying"? Is it like "nuance bullying"?

Btw if they didn't want to see the drama Spanky and FLOTSH could have ignored it and no drama would have happened. But I guess that Lisa's ego couldn't tolerate it.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

I’m assuming genetic bullying is related to flavoured sarcasm. Words put together to sound lofty and intelligent but really have no meaning.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Not sure why you seem opposed to my particular post. Not especially concerned though. Like you I am free to vent- unlike you I vent what I know to be true.

Edited by 241
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Haha 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic