IGNORED

Maxwell 28: You Can Leave Your Vest On!

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, Markie said:

NR Anna and Christopher’s insistence that their daughters leave their jean skirts over their snow pants is stupid. They could easily tuck the skirts into the snow pants and play outside. The way they do it, the girls would have to immediately strip off in the foyer as their jean skirts would be heavy, wet and snowy. Why go out of the way to create more laundry? 

I have no idea. I mean they could get a snow skirt like this:

https://www.skhoop.us/collections/sale-kids/products/milla-kids-skirt-18?variant=12419432972369

but then they'd be almost showing their knees like a couple of baby harlots. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Wait wait wait a minute! Steve plays a GAME with Ellie everyday?! Isn’t that FUN?! 

I was pleasantly surprised to read that, too.  :my_smile:

Why is the little table a coveted privilege? That seems super weird. When I was a kid sitting at the grown up table was the privilege. 

7 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

On the other hand, here we have a couple that's doing things right!

I'd actually like to know the story behind this photo!

image.jpeg

I know Teri explained about the game, which is indeed cute (and especially in that Arnold appears to be enjoying it as well) but my caption for this photo would be "just checking that you put my dog bed on the delicate cycle like I asked?"  ETA just noticed that it's maybe the dryer, not the washer?  Oh well, "extra fluff cycle" works just as well in my caption...

42 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Why is the little table a coveted privilege? That seems super weird. When I was a kid sitting at the grown up table was the privilege. 

Pretty sure Teri meant that they have proclaimed it a coveted privilege for the little kids, maybe even accompanied by some extra privilege, so that they won't feel discouraged when it's their turn to sit there.  Just like Sarah, Teri writes in a style that shortcuts her meaning.  A good writer needs to be aware of which shortcut references their audience will automatically get, and which need to be clarified.

48 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

When we use to have thanksgiving dinner at my aunt’s house we would say when the adults sat with use they “graduated”. 

32 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I know Teri explained about the game, which is indeed cute (and especially in that Arnold appears to be enjoying it as well) but my caption for this photo would be "just checking that you put my dog bed on the delicate cycle like I asked?"  ETA just noticed that it's maybe the dryer, not the washer?  Oh well, "extra fluff cycle" works just as well in my caption...

Pretty sure Teri meant that they have proclaimed it a coveted privilege for the little kids, maybe even accompanied by some extra privilege, so that they won't feel discouraged when it's their turn to sit there.  Just like Sarah, Teri writes in a style that shortcuts her meaning.  A good writer needs to be aware of which shortcut references their audience will automatically get, and which need to be clarified.

The Maxwells don't seem to put themselves in the point of view of others, they don't understand that others don't know what they know. This comes from only interacting with the same people all the time (where you don't have to clarify anything since they already know what you're talking about).

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

It’s away from Steve 

7 minutes ago, meee said:

Well, how long do they keep them in the four high chairs? Maybe graduating from high chair to kids' table is a coveted privilege.

Currently the high chairs are being used by Kyle, Elizabeth, Benji, and Daniel. They probably just kick the oldest out of the high chair when they need it for a younger one. They will probably kick Daniel out in 6 months when Axton needs it. Or they might realize they are reproducing like bunnies and need to buy a couple more high chairs. 

8 hours ago, Markie said:

NR Anna and Christopher’s insistence that their daughters leave their jean skirts over their snow pants is stupid. They could easily tuck the skirts into the snow pants and play outside. The way they do it, the girls would have to immediately strip off in the foyer as their jean skirts would be heavy, wet and snowy. Why go out of the way to create more laundry? 

That’s how we did it, back in the Paleolithic 1950’s, until BigMamaJB figured out otherwise — and she was smart; it didn’t take her long. 

Today, I have half a dozen neighbors who are Latin-rite Roman Catholics with at least 3 children per family within 5 years — always the first baby before the first wedding anniversary. Even they don’t insist on skirts.  But they do go to public schools. 

@Coconut Flan and @thoughtful,  I'll post this here since Merrily We Live was mentioned on a previous Maxwell thread,  but tonight is Battle of the Butlers on 31 Days of Oscar on TCM and Merrily We Live comes on at 10:30.   Remains of the Day is the first film with a butler.  

I couldn't get away with wearing a down vest in the house even if I wanted to.  One of my dogs thinks that if mom puts on her down vest it's time to go outside.  If I want her go out, then I have to put on my vest.  I may have to wear it even when it's 90 degrees out this summer.

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

But you didn't have Steve at your grown up table. ETA: I see @Odd1Out beat me to the punchline.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:02 PM, Dominionatrix said:

Yeah, I was in no way, shape, or form confusing what the Maxwells make for authentic Mexican food. I, too, am from a strongly Latinx area, and I understand the difference.* My point was just that fresh tortillas can mask a multitude of sins. Also, a food can be inauthentic and still be tasty. For example, New York-style pizza has very little resemblance to the pizza of Italy, but people are still allowed to like it.

*I am also, admittedly, a little salty on this point because my SoCal relatives routinely forget this when I visit and are incredibly condescending as they "introduce" me to the cuisine I've been eating since infancy. So I hope you'll excuse my annoyed tone; it's really directed at them! 

ETA: You’re right, though, @zee_four, if anyone can mess up a fresh tortilla it’s surely the Maxwells!

Ah I'm so sorry! I apologize that came across that way, it was supposed to be a jab at the Maxwells, because you're right homemade tortillas are bomb. So its saying a lot that the Maxwells can mess it up. Then that thought reminded me of how it bothers me the most boring lily white flatland Midwesterners take homemade tortillas and burritos and make them so... blah. Absolutely nothing about you or your comment made me think that! So again I'm sorry if it came off that way.

In my own experience, those that are quite often the worst about that same thing to me come from California. We have a different type of Mexican cuisine here, not Baja. It's like saying New England has crappy American food because you like Southern soul food. They also like to say we pronounce our state wrong because didnt we know, it's actually a Spanish word?? 

I grew up in a completely Mexican (entirely from Mexico not trying to use it interchangeably for Latnix) area, all my friends and their families speak Spanish. Whenever I miss Hawai'ian ohana and food and culture the Mexican community makes me feel less homesick, theres a lot of similarities  (if you mixed it with a mix of Asian food and culture) ♡

@PennySycamore my dogs have learned when I put on my headphones it’s walk time. I don’t always where them when I walk them. If I put them on and I’m not walking them they go nuts. 130lbs newfoundland will let everyone in China know, via bark, it’s walk time even if I’m not going to walk them. 

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Currently the high chairs are being used by Kyle, Elizabeth, Benji, and Daniel. They probably just kick the oldest out of the high chair when they need it for a younger one. They will probably kick Daniel out in 6 months when Axton needs it. Or they might realize they are reproducing like bunnies and need to buy a couple more high chairs. 

But Teri used four high chairs and that's all the Maxwell house will ever need!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, Maggie Mae said:

I think I'm close in age to Sarah? (IDK though.) And I see the sunset a few times a year. It's not because I work. It's because I live on the 69th parallel. (And let me tell you, it's spectacular in the fall, over cook inlet.) 

Had Sarah wanted to be less bitchy, she could have said "Ellie and I went to get some fresh air and caught this sunset! I love the way that the light floods this park and turns everything these amazing shades of orange and pink. God is great!" (or whatever.) But no, it has to be a dig on working people. 

Do you live in Anchorage???? Very lucky!!

In Hawai'i you see the sunset pretty much year round at 7 PM. No change. Take that Sarah. (Serious question but does she know that? I wonder how extensively Teri's SOTDRT covers geography. It seems fundie friendly enough for a social science at the least at the basics, no geopolitics, but would she have the critical thinking to realize different latitudes have different sunsets? I mean they did travel on a bus but did she just think wherever she was was how the sunset and sunrise were on that given day was what they were like everywhere else? Questions!!)

44 minutes ago, zee_four said:

Ah I'm so sorry! I apologize that came across that way, it was supposed to be a jab at the Maxwells, because you're right homemade tortillas are bomb. So its saying a lot that the Maxwells can mess it up. Then that thought reminded me of how it bothers me the most boring lily white flatland Midwesterners take homemade tortillas and burritos and make them so... blah. Absolutely nothing about you or your comment made me think that! So again I'm sorry if it came off that way.

In my own experience, those that are quite often the worst about that same thing to me come from California. We have a different type of Mexican cuisine here, not Baja. It's like saying New England has crappy American food because you like Southern soul food. They also like to say we pronounce our state wrong because didnt we know, it's actually a Spanish word?? 

I grew up in a completely Mexican (entirely from Mexico not trying to use it interchangeably for Latnix) area, all my friends and their families speak Spanish. Whenever I miss Hawai'ian ohana and food and culture the Mexican community makes me feel less homesick, theres a lot of similarities  (if you mixed it with a mix of Asian food and culture) ♡

Aww, it's okay! I think I was just a little cranky because I hadn't had my Sunday burrito :)

On 2/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, Black Aliss said:

This just in: Steve changed the lightbulb outside the garage.

Also: 

During my entire career as a corporate lackey there was never a day when I couldn't step outside for a walk or to just enjoy the sun whenever I wanted (other than during a scheduled meeting, obv. except for once when I did just that)

And if I worked late I could see the sunsets from my private office. Take that, SAHDs.

Also, can someone please give Sarah a thesaurus! She uses the word "sweet"  three times in one post.

Finally, just to prove I can say something nice for a change, I'm really pleased to see that all the nieces and nephews on bikes are wearing helmets. And Nathan's kids are even wearing them properly. Chris's, not so much.

I go outside for lunch every day, weather permitting. We walk the park down the street from our corporate, ungodly jail. We have sweet coworker conversations and special friend time. 

The jean skirts over the snowpants is just ridic. If they're that worried that the girls would get mistaken for boys (oh my!) they could have them dress in pink and put the boys in blue.

I don't think there's any form of colour blindness that makes people unable to see those colours, but maybe have them wear a hat with a flower in it to make sure. Then they just need to make sure they don't get sucked back in time to where pink was a "boys" colour.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, PennySycamore said:

@Coconut Flan and @thoughtful,  I'll post this here since Merrily We Live was mentioned on a previous Maxwell thread,  but tonight is Battle of the Butlers on 31 Days of Oscar on TCM and Merrily We Live comes on at 10:30.   Remains of the Day is the first film with a butler.  

I couldn't get away with wearing a down vest in the house even if I wanted to.  One of my dogs thinks that if mom puts on her down vest it's time to go outside.  If I want her go out, then I have to put on my vest.  I may have to wear it even when it's 90 degrees out this summer.

The words "leash", "walk", and "eat" are taboo in my parents' home because if their dog hears them, he goes absolutely bugfuck. "Car" is borderline. Though I have to say, I love hearing the taptaptaptapTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPswisssshhhhhh of my parents' dog barreling into the mudroom so fast that he loses traction between the floor and his paws if he hears or sees someone getting their jacket on. And then he gets comically despondent if we tell him that he can't come and has to be a good boy and watch the house. 

The gift from Teri and Steve included a shopping trip with Teri and.....Anna and Mary? Uh, why?

Steve, go shopping with your granddaughters!

23 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

... Teri took the grandkids to McDonalds for a special lunch before going to Hobby Lobby for a photo op.  I mean, to spend gift cards.  

Sort of a nice idea, but I’ve often thought of gift vouchers / cards being lazy presents. Oh I forgot, Teri is lazy. So the grandsons are not allowed to do art and craft I take it.

So going to McDonald’s, how do they explain to the nieces that Lolly the fucking clown is a girl clown and Ronald McDonald is a boy clown? Oh yes just extend the length of Lolly’s skirt.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived