IGNORED

House of Representatives: Democrats in da house!

fraurosena

Now that the Democrats have the majority in the House of Representatives, I think it would be fair to give the House its own thread. In it, we can post about all the many important investigations the House Committees will be holding in the coming months, and any other important news, like this:

I'd like to know who those seven Repugliklans were.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

From The Hill:   But seven lawmakers — all House Republicans — opposed the measure. Those "no" votes came from Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Glen Grothman (Wis.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Ted Yoho (Fla.).

Thanks for starting this thread.  I'll be interested in how representatives are voting.

• Upvote 5

Let me get this straight. The American taxpayers are paying their representatives not to represent them, but to fundraise. Wow.

What I don't understand is what exactly these funds are for. Can somebody explain?

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, fraurosena said:
Let me get this straight. The American taxpayers are paying their representatives not to represent them, but to fundraise. Wow.

What I don't understand is what exactly these funds are for. Can somebody explain?

They're fundraising for their reelection campaigns. 

• I Agree 7

6 hours ago, Bethella said:

They're fundraising for their reelection campaigns. 

Sweet Rufus! They’ve only just been elected. :mouse-shock:

So. They get paid taxpayer money to fundraise. To get reelected.

Your political system is one big set up for corruption. No wonder the Russians could get one of their assets in the White House, and managed to take over one of your political parties. They must be laughing themselves silly at how easy it was.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

11 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Your political system is one big set up for corruption. No wonder the Russians could get one of their assets in the White House, and managed to take over one of your political parties. They must be laughing themselves silly at how easy it was.

Yep, it never stops. It really drives me crazy when they start talking about more than one election cycle out (like talking about 2024 when we still haven’t had the 2020 election).

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

Too bad it won't get past the Senate. Not if McTurtle can help it.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, fraurosena said:

It's always been bad, but since SCOTUS screwed democracy with the Citizens United decision, it's been crazy.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

Oh my. This is going to be interesting. I do hope it will be public...

• Upvote 5

AOC takes no crap from the Repugs:

• Upvote 9

This should maybe go under Shutdown Stories, but Nancy Pelosi basically canceled the State of the Union  address today.  She sent tRump a letter today that because of the shutdown there would be no assembling of Congress, the Supreme Court and the Cabinet for him to address.  He could instead send a letter to those parties.  The SOTU is always at the behest of the Speaker of the House.  It was not always a speech given to Congress, etc.  A letter is more in keeping with historical precedent, but I bet the Tangerine Toddler doesn't know that.

On DailyKos, there was a good discussion of why assembling basically our entire government in one place is not such a good idea anymore anyway.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

30 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

This should maybe go under Shutdown Stories, but Nancy Pelosi basically canceled the State of the Union  address today.  She sent tRump a letter today that because of the shutdown there would be no assembling of Congress, the Supreme Court and the Cabinet for him to address.  He could instead send a letter to those parties.  The SOTU is always at the behest of the Speaker of the House.  It was not always a speech given to Congress, etc.  A letter is more in keeping with historical precedent, but I bet the Tangerine Toddler doesn't know that.

On DailyKos, there was a good discussion of why assembling basically our entire government in one place is not such a good idea anymore anyway.

Donnie Dummkopf write a letter? :laughing-rolling::laughing-rollingred::laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rofl:

Seriously, can he write more than a few tweets?

Can he appoint someone to write it for him? How about Hannity, since he's really the President? Or Putin?

I also agree that I wouldn't want all of those people in the same place now.

• Upvote 5

Frankly, I'm not fond of the democrats either at this point. People are hurting. They need to do what needs to be done to get people paid, and deal with the rest of it later. It's not about the wall or the five billion at this point, it's a pissing contest and we feds are the ones getting pissed on at this point. I wish I had retired last year, and I will be sure to do so this year. No more of this nonsense for me. Anybody who comes to work for the federal government now is a fool. 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 5

10 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Frankly, I'm not fond of the democrats either at this point. People are hurting. They need to do what needs to be done to get people paid, and deal with the rest of it later. It's not about the wall or the five billion at this point, it's a pissing contest and we feds are the ones getting pissed on at this point. I wish I had retired last year, and I will be sure to do so this year. No more of this nonsense for me. Anybody who comes to work for the federal government now is a fool. 

But what can they do at this point? This is not a regular political shut down where both sides can give and take to finally reach a compromise. This is a situation in which Trump is saying no compromise, just give in to him. If he gets what he wants, he will learn that if he hurts enough people for enough time he will get whatever whim he wants, no matter how ridiculous or awful his desire is. And the next time he doesn't get what he wants, he will fall back on this and he will find someone to hurt until he gets what he wants. 

For the sake of our country Trump, who is almost certainly a Russian agent, can't have a complete win. He has to compromise something or he will have learned a terrible, terrible lesson on how to manipulate the democrats to push his Russian policy. 

This isn't just on the democrats, The Republicans can easily veto Trump and get the government started. They are sitting there doing nothing. 

• I Agree 12

Not only that but the original budget was put on dumpy's desk by a republican House and Senate.  If dumpy wanted to negotiate he could have done it before the end of the year.  Democrats did not get us here.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic