IGNORED

Seewalds 37: Yes, Jessa is Pregnant

Jellybean

I do want to the see The Cursed Child play. I like Scorpius, I like Malfoy, and a weird part of me likes that bizarre trolly witch moment. The play looks really well cast though. That's about all of the nice things I can say though.

I want a story about the trio's late teens/early twenties. I want to see how the wizarding world rebuilds after the second war, how the characters learn to "adult," and above all else how they deal with trauma sounds interesting to me. I feel like this could even be good in a TV show type format. It would be a lot more human/realistic/drama than fantasy genre-wise.

For Hogwarts founders fans, I thought the fan movie "Origins of the Heir" was fun as heck and relevant to that subject. If you can't tell, I'm a real sucker for campy stuff. Plus, it's 100% fanfic and not canon so my set of standards is entirely different.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NakedKnees I found the play very disappointing. 

Visually spectacular, but the plot was a bit meh. 

But that's just this potterhead's opinion.

Edit: I'm still going to believe in my cactus wrangling, cardigan wearing Neville.  

6 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@Caskett4ever Good point! We know far less about the founders, so that would be interesting. I like Fantstic Beasts but the latest one screwed with the timeline and ages of characters, which I didn’t like.

Also...I am morally against book burning and think book burning is an awful tragedy and has been used for the worst kinds of censorship. And that so much loss of knowledge has come from book burnings, both intentional and accidental. Cursed Child makes me rethink this hard stance. There, I said it.

That said I did see the play. If you ignore the plot and writing it’s fantastic. 

I don't consider the Cursed Child cannon. It's not written by JK, even though they slap her name on it. There's a good video floating around on the internet about how you can tell it's not Jo, which also mentions that HP books are mysteries disguised as fantasy, while CC is just the butterfly effect. Also it breaks so many rules from the original series when it comes to magic/the world's lore. 

6 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@Caskett4ever Good point! We know far less about the founders, so that would be interesting. I like Fantstic Beasts but the latest one screwed with the timeline and ages of characters, which I didn’t like.

Also...I am morally against book burning and think book burning is an awful tragedy and has been used for the worst kinds of censorship. And that so much loss of knowledge has come from book burnings, both intentional and accidental. Cursed Child makes me rethink this hard stance. There, I said it.

That said I did see the play. If you ignore the plot and writing it’s fantastic. 

Agreed. Cursed Child was an excellent theatrical experience, but the plot was a dumpster fire. 

I’m a librarian and I love books, but when the Cursed Child script came out as a hardback and I saw it on the shelf.....it took everything I had not to take it and burn it before any innocent patrons could be tainted with it. 

11 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Are you okay with Bowie sleeping with 15 year old girls?

Maybe this isn't common knowledge like I thought it was? Was surprised to see that here considering the Caleb Williams thread.

Both Jerry Lee Louis and Edgar Allen Poe married their 13 year old first cousins. Are ya’ll going to stop reading their poetry and listening to their music?  

@Leftitinmysnood I have had some issues with church as well since the 2016 election. People's true colors came out in unexpected ways. I hope you are at peace with everything now.

Seeing everyone's comments about Cursed Child have further reinforced my desire not to read/see it. I have basically ignored it's existence and I felt kind of bad about that until now.

I hadn't heard about Bowie and that is kind of sad to hear now. 

However, Bowie aside, I need to process that.  We can't hold purity tests to long dead people, like Laura Ingalls Wilder being held to, today's racial standards when she's been dead for over 60 years. Her views on race were formed in the 19th century. Or Gandhi's views on gays when he's been dead for over 70 years.  It is unfair to leaders and icons of decades ago that we hold them up to today's moral standards, we can't, they didn't live long enough to evolve with society. 

What we can do is say yes this person as great at this but look at how they viewed this and see how far we've come now on this topic, I often wonder how Gandhi would have felt about gays today.  What would Laura Ingalls Wilder though about minorities today?  I look at it, my parents used to think gays were evil people, they are 73 years old, my dad is a southern white man who went to high school in Little Rock in the 1960 at the height of desegregation. They are both very openly accepting of gays and have no issues with it, where as before they didn't, had they died in the 80's or 90's they still would have thought gays were evil, they lived long enough to evolve with the times.  

36 minutes ago, fundiesfordays said:

@Leftitinmysnood I have had some issues with church as well since the 2016 election. People's true colors came out in unexpected ways. I hope you are at peace with everything now.

Seeing everyone's comments about Cursed Child have further reinforced my desire not to read/see it. I have basically ignored it's existence and I felt kind of bad about that until now.

I own this and never got around to reading it - so I feel better now. 

I am extremely particular about beloved books. I don't want to read another piece of the series that wasn't originally intended. (I'm looking at you fourth Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book - it was NOT up to par and tainted the others for me). 
So now I'll just donate CC and be done! yay!

58 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Maybe this isn't common knowledge like I thought it was? Was surprised to see that here considering the Caleb Williams thread.

I personally had no idea. (And right this moment have no time to research it, either.)

That said - Bowie is dead. His characters aren't, and his music isn't, and I still enjoy both of those. There are SO many people who have done things that are unthinkable or illegal (at least now, not sure about age of consent in each instance) - Poe,  Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. (in fact, how old was Priscilla when Elvis met her? Pretty sure she was super young at first.) I'd be willing to bet nearly if not ALL the hair metal band members I loved back in the day probably slept with underage groupies without bothering to ask their age. Nikki Sixx talks in one of his books about having nooners with some girl on lunch break from Catholic school (in the worst period of his drug addiction). It's really upsetting to think about, and yeah, they should have done better. Was it rape? Yes. Statutory rape at best in most of these cases.

I think we can know they did wrong, and still enjoy their work - especially if they've since died, or cleaned up, or admitted their mistakes. (Which is why I am excepting Roman Polanski - as his crime was not statutory, and he then fled justice.) 

I hope that doesn't brand me as a "rape apologist". I'm not at all saying that what happened in any of these cases wasn't rape.

On another note, I've tried to avoid pretty much all the HP stuff after the books ended. I loved the books so much (except the epilogue, wtf) that I just kind of don't want to mess with that.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, BernRul said:

Sorry not sorry, but I've come to derail the first new pregnancy thread with unrelated bullshit.

Albus Severus is not a bad name. There I said it.

Why you ask? Well, look at the wizarding world, which is essentially a bunch of fundementalists who eschew modern technology, pop culture, and the outside world. Latin names, myth names, and random sound names are popular with wizards. Sprinkled across the series are names like Remus, Minerva, Draco, Narcissa, Walpurga, Sirius, Regulus, Filius, Nymphadora, Fenrir, Amycus, Aberforth, Bilius, Bellatrix, Abraxas,  Scorpius, Gilderoy, Porpentina, Morfin, Marvolo, Andromeda. I could go on, but I won't.

Albus Severus fits right in. 

Besides, it's not like people are calling him Albus Severus. It's his middle name. Most people will know him as Albus--a short and easy to pronounce name that is probably popular in Albus's generation since Dumbledore is considered one of the greatest wizards to ever live. He'll fit right in. 

Plus, think of the nickname potential. Al, Allie, Alby--adorable! 

In conclusion, there's nothing wrong with that name in the HP world. Thank you for reading my warranted and in no way pointless essay. 

I like to think that in that generation there was a spree of naming your kid Albus until Harry did it and then no one wanted to step on the Boy Who Lived's toes

But I could still see Albus being one of four in his class. Or maybe there's an Albus for each house and people can be like "slytherin Albus, ravenclaw albus, hufflepuff albus, and famous albus" 

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I personally had no idea. (And right this moment have no time to research it, either.)

That said - Bowie is dead. His characters aren't, and his music isn't, and I still enjoy both of those. There are SO many people who have done things that are unthinkable or illegal (at least now, not sure about age of consent in each instance) - Poe,  Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. (in fact, how old was Priscilla when Elvis met her? Pretty sure she was super young at first.) I'd be willing to bet nearly if not ALL the hair metal band members I loved back in the day probably slept with underage groupies without bothering to ask their age. Nikki Sixx talks in one of his books about having nooners with some girl on lunch break from Catholic school (in the worst period of his drug addiction). It's really upsetting to think about, and yeah, they should have done better. Was it rape? Yes. Statutory rape at best in most of these cases.

I think we can know they did wrong, and still enjoy their work - especially if they've since died, or cleaned up, or admitted their mistakes. (Which is why I am excepting Roman Polanski - as his crime was not statutory, and he then fled justice.) 

I hope that doesn't brand me as a "rape apologist". I'm not at all saying that what happened in any of these cases wasn't rape.

Thanks for explaining! I can understand that. I don't listen to rock at all much less heavy metal (as a matter of fact I don't know who Jerry Lee Lewis is, not sure if that's just my age/cultural background showing or what) nor do I care for Poe so I guess I've never had to think about it that way. (And personally I am not thinking of you as a rape apologist!)

Appreciate the food for thought!

7 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Thanks for explaining! I can understand that. I don't listen to rock at all much less heavy metal (as a matter of fact I don't know who Jerry Lee Lewis is, not sure if that's just my age showing it what)

Jerry Lee Lewis = Great Balls of Fire - he was hugely popular in the late 50's until it came out that he (age 22) was married to his 13-year-old cousin. He's' still alive I think, but his influence and music is pretty much all oldies. 

And in the mid-late 80's almost the entire metal music scene - and a lot of the rest of it, too - were so drugged up all the time it's amazing they were able to make music at all. Many of them slept with just whoever, and may or may not have remembered it in the morning, much less bothering to ask ages or even names. It's amazing that only one of them (Robbin Crosby) caught HIV with all the shooting up and sex that was going on. (I'm not including Queen, because they were earlier and not part of the LA scene.)

There were overdoses and deaths from car accidents, groupies and babies and who knows what going on. It was crazy. I liked the music, without condoning the actions, if that makes sense.

Caleb Williams gets to be held to the standards of the years that he committed his crimes. Which means he will be held to the standards of the year 2018ish. For historical figures, it's a little more iffy. I look back on the story of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, Victoria, and I cringe. She was 14, when Crown Prince Fritz fell in love with her, he was 23. They married when she was 16 or so. Of course, I cringe, that's absolutely gross by our standards today. It was normalish then.

I think it's good to be uncomfortable with things that happened in the past, because they aren't right now. It's also important to remember that what is normal right now, wasn't then. Though we now live to be in our 80s, that wasn't true for the vast majority of human history. Humans only lived to be 40-50 for many years. So mid life was 20-25. It does make a difference to the way that people lived their lives. We can't change the past because it doesn't fit with our world now, we have to teach that it's a part of who we were as humans. Like a normal person's life cycle, the world is growing and changing with technology. We cannot go back, but we cannot change what was. We need to look to the past and learn from it. 

52 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Caleb Williams gets to be held to the standards of the years that he committed his crimes. Which means he will be held to the standards of the year 2018ish. For historical figures, it's a little more iffy. I look back on the story of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, Victoria, and I cringe. She was 14, when Crown Prince Fritz fell in love with her, he was 23. They married when she was 16 or so. Of course, I cringe, that's absolutely gross by our standards today. It was normalish then.

I think it's good to be uncomfortable with things that happened in the past, because they aren't right now. It's also important to remember that what is normal right now, wasn't then. Though we now live to be in our 80s, that wasn't true for the vast majority of human history. Humans only lived to be 40-50 for many years. So mid life was 20-25. It does make a difference to the way that people lived their lives. We can't change the past because it doesn't fit with our world now, we have to teach that it's a part of who we were as humans. Like a normal person's life cycle, the world is growing and changing with technology. We cannot go back, but we cannot change what was. We need to look to the past and learn from it. 

Yeah. I think this is how I view it too. Does it make me uncomfortable that Edgar Allan Poe married his 13 year old cousin? Absolutely! It creeps me out to no end. And I do genuinely struggle with whether it’s ok for me to enjoy his work or not because of his marriage to Virginia, especially because I’m not entirely sure how normal that relationship would have been at the time and because historians and scholars still debate whether or not they had a sexual relationship immediately upon marriage, if they waited until she was older, or if they ever had a sexual relationship at all. 

I guess I can kind of justify my appreciation for Poe’s work because:

1. He’s been dead a very long time

2. A lot of what people believed about him for a long time was the result of a smear campaign by a bitter rival writer who penned an eulogy for Poe following his death and

3. The standards and norms of his time were likely different in some ways than modern time.

I think Bowie personally makes me a lot more uncomfortable than Poe to be honest. I’m pretty sure that what he did to the teenager in question would have legally been considered rape in California at the time it actually occurred in the early 70s, regardless of how the teenager viewed it then or now. Same with Jimmy Page, who carried on a sexual relationship with that same teenager until it ended when she was around 16. And I’m pretty sure Bowie was later accused of raping a woman as well. I don’t think that ever went to court, but that doesn’t mean the woman wasn’t telling the truth. 

59 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

yes at one time, it was fairly normal for a couple to be very young when married, or at least the girl. If you only lived until 40 or so, you couldn't wait too long to get married. 

And yes, Priscilla was VERY young when Elvis and her got together. I want to say 15 or 16. 

@Carm_88 not sure if 88 is the year you were born or what, but that is the year I graduated from high school. My Guidance counselor asked if I was going to college for my MRS degree (me in my naivety  asked what the heck an MRS was?) He also told me I was a pretty girl and shouldn't have any trouble finding a husband before I had to take any "real hard classes" college. He would be fired for that today, but he told a LOT of young women that in his tenure from 1960 to 1990 at my school. My freshman year a senior girl ran off with a teacher to get married. Granted she was 17, 3 months away from 18 and he had just turned 22 in 1984 when they 1st met, and 18 when they married in June of 1985. 35 years later, they are still married and he is a high school principal. Had this happened now he would have been arrested and lost his teaching license, but at the time, while a bit scandalous, no one really batted an eye, I think mostly because she was nearly 18, and he was 22 so it wasn't that big of an age gap and she never had him as her teacher, he taught freshman English.  looking back at what was considered normal then is now considered criminal activity it is a bit strange, it is welcome, I didn't like that the guidance counselor assumed I was only going to college to get a husband, and I resented him assuming I was stupid just because I was a female. But there was nothing we could do back then, it was always "oh that is just his way" now people listen, 30 years ago they didn't.  

I have a hard time holding a 50 year old man accountable for his stupidity at 17 in 1986, provided that stupidity wasn't rape or murder, especially if that stupidity ended 20, 30, or more years ago. Unlike Harvey Weinstein or Keven Spacey who kept doing this, someone said there is a huge difference from acting like an asshole and actually BEING an asshole. We can all act like asshole from time to time, that doesn't make us total assholes. 

32 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

yes at one time, it was fairly normal for a couple to be very young when married, or at least the girl. If you only lived until 40 or so, you couldn't wait too long to get married. 

And yes, Priscilla was VERY young when Elvis and her got together. I want to say 15 or 16. 

I think she was 14. 

On 1/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Tyler and Catelynn from Teen Mom actually managed to find a name worse than Spurgeon. Tezlee. I kid you not. And it’s completely made up. They wanted her name to end in “lee” like Carly and Novalee (her middle name is Reign, and they slapped on the “lee” because people pointed out Nova Reign sounds like Nuva Ring). Anyway, they took “lee” and just tried out random sounds and shit before it and came up with Tezlee. That name might actually be as bad as Albus Severus, and I never thought that would be possible.

I agree that is one of the worst names I've every heard and I work in a public service agency so I see it all. When I heard Tezlee I was like, "what even is that?" There are plenty of "lee" names that are not some made up bullshit. At this point they should just name her "TrapBaby" because that's what she is, Cait trying to get Tyler to come back. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

There are probably actual Renesme’s running around, which is terrifying.

There is. I had two on my caseload in the last year. One was a newborn and the other was like 6 or so.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, theotherelise said:

Henry was the last baby born before I started trying to conceive. So this will be the sixth baby born since we started trying. Joy, Jinger, and Joseph weren't married when we started trying and they all have babies now. It is likely that Lauren and Abbie will complete the set and announce before we do IVF in "late spring" or "early summer" lol. Still wouldn't trade places, though!

I'm not going to speculate about whether Jill is or is not wishing she were pregnant right now. She has her hands pretty full, so it's entirely possible she's 100% good with the current situation. Sam is 5 months younger than Henry, so it's not like Jessa lapped her. 

I totally agree the "we're all best friends" narrative was bs, but I also think the rivalry between Jill and Jessa is fairly contrived too. Jessa gives side-eye all the time and Jill is outwardly emotional. They're extremely different people.

I just want to wish you the best of luck. My husband and I struggled with infertility ourselves and it took us 2.5 years and 9 IUIs with injectible fertility meds to concieve our son. Who ironically enough to this thread was born June 21st (first day of summer baby!!). I know the struggle and my heartbreaks for those going through it and I just wanted to say your not alone ❤️

On 1/10/2019 at 6:35 AM, Melissa1977 said:

So she got pregnant after Felicity was born. She said she had baby fever when she met her and wanted a new baby. Maybe it's an evidence that they are using BC and conceived #3 the moment they chase, not the moment God decided. Soooo we can hope there won't be 19 little Seewalds!

Yeah, I agree.  I would say sometime in September for conception. I was due June 15th with my son and he was born June 21st. I found out I was pregnant on October 6th which would have put my conception in late September. The fact that she used "late Spring" instead of early summer makes me think shes due in early June so I say mid September conception. Which would put Felicity around 6-8 weeks so I bet they got right on that once she was born 

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

There were overdoses and deaths from car accidents, groupies and babies and who knows what going on. It was crazy. I liked the music, without condoning the actions, if that makes sense.

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, so I've struggled with this. 

I think that enjoying someone's art and excusing someone's behavior are two different things. I think it's okay for me to think Zoso is one of the best albums ever. It's not okay for me to excuse Jimmy Page's (many) cases of statutory rape and general mistreatment of women just because he helped make Zoso. I would call out anyone I heard doing the latter.

I‘m a little late to the HP thread drift but I enjoyed reading your theories and opinions so much! And I‘m amazed at how many details many of you remember. I‘ve read the books a couple of times (and watched the movies once or twice, but the books are so much better) and love them but there are lots of things that I don’t remember off the top of my head. Maybe that means it‘s time to read the books again. ? I read the first three when I was 11 or 12 and from then on I had to wait for each new book to come out which was frustrating. On the plus side though it meant that 1. I was always almost the same age as Harry and the others and 2. as the books were getting darker and more serious I was getting older so they were always age appropriate for me. 

Wouldn't it be great/horrific if they did a young children's spin off HP series based on the new Hogwarts adventures of the 3rd generation (e.g., James Sirius, Rose, Albus, Scorpius, Hugo, Lily, etc)? I mean...my two year old needs an intro to the series with more pictures and shorter stories. But, only if it stays away from the Cursed Child crap..

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived