IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

25 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Derick is a massive asshole. Who takes a video of their wife, who is clearly distressed about this and puts it on the internet? It doesn't make anyone look good. They were already enough comments about how gross their house looks and now they have mice running around? They will do anything for attention.'

ETA: The video is on reddit if anyone wants to watch

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/aenj97/ive_got_a_doozy_of_a_dillard_video_for_all_you/

Damn, there's a comment on there that points out another aspect of Derick's shitty behavior:

The beginning where she asks " is this live? Is this live on Instagram?" and he says "I'm taking a video right now, so is this live?"and then "nobody knows.." Gaslighting at it's best. He's such an abusive asshole and you can see that she is intimidated and careful what she's saying because it seems like she's scared of his reaction, as in him making fun of her. He's a piece of shit and I feel bad for her.

This is just a really astute observation that I completely agree with. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few pages late, but my speculation (projection) is that Derick was a fan of the Duggars and saw this "perfect, happy" family on TV and wanted to be a part of it in some way. He sought out JB and probably began to think of him as a replacement father. He probably really missed the guidance of a father figure after his own passed away, and felt really lost and insecure. He slowly got closer to the Duggar family, and then got the ultimate in, marriage! He could finally be part of the "dream, big, happy, stable" family. He probably confided a lot in JB, and probably really trusted him. Jill probably never mentioned the scandals to Derick, she probably figured they weren't relevant and was trained not to think about them. Imagine the shock Derick received when his replacement family crumbled before his eyes. As life goes on and Jill has difficulties coping and has difficult pregnancies, she suddenly isn't this rosy, besotted bubbly girl anymore. She actually has needs. Derrick suddenly has to adult again. As he gets angrier and more bitter about how this is turning out and he lashes out at TLC, he probably gets his hands smacked by JB, reminding him of who holds the purse strings. Derick probably feels doubly betrayed by his "replacement daddy." You now have an angry man-child who doesn't want to adult and care for his family because he still wants a daddy figure, and he feels his emotionally immature wife and her family betrayed him.

Lots of speculation and projection from my own life experiences, and also having a phase where I wanted to be adopted by the Duggars

Thank you @HarleyQuinn. I still can't figure out the Instagram thing and now I'm following her. Have to undo that! I mean, I always knew Derick was a jerk but come on. Why would you film your wife freaking out and then upload it?? You really need attention that badly? (I know, I know, he does.)

I hate him for referencing my favorite Christmas movie. It was much funnier in the movie. When Derick says it he sounds like a psychopath. Also I stand by these T-rex snap traps. They kill instantly and are reusable as long as you aren't too squeamish to release the dead mouse. https://www.amazon.com/Trapper-T-rex-Mouse-Traps-BELL-1044/dp/B003K947Q6

@HarryPotterFan been there, done that. I have been known to climb counters and chairs to get away from mice. When I worked at a pet store years ago, they tore down the building that shared a wall with us and we had an influx of RATS that descended into our back room. Those rats were cat sized and one charged at me one day. I may or may not have actually climbed my coworker to get away from it. 

I feel like Derick and Jill are an excellent example of why people should wait at least a year before they get hitched. I looked up the timeline of their courtship, and it seems they started talking in August 2013, they actually met in November 2013, he returned to Arkansas in January 2014, and he asked Jim Bob's permission to marry her in February 2014. That is nutter butters. That's more or less two months of real-life contact before they got engaged, if you count the time Jill spent in Nepal and the month and a half between him coming home and the proposal. Yes, they Skyped and spoke on the phone, but you just can't get to know someone, and I mean really "I want to marry this person" know someone in that short a time. I just think about the relationships I've been in where it takes between four and five months for the person to show his ass so I know what I'm dealing with. If I'd married someone before that, I'd be in serious trouble. 

Oh no, if Jill can’t go into the kitchen, which is connected to the laundry room, because she’s afraid of the mouse then Derick won’t have food or clean clothes!! Oh no!!

Heaven forbid he does anything useful around the house.

To add to my post, I was also thinking that Derick keeps career hoping because he is looking for something to make him happy and fulfilled, but none of it will work because he is a very empty and insecure human.

And I hate mice! I occasionally get them in my kitchen, perks of a house that was left empty for a year. My cat is not a mouser. In fact he regularly loses fights to his back paws. He will stand on his hind feet and curl under himself and start somersaulting and rolling over the floor while gnawing on his back paw. His back paw will then get loose and he usually uppecuts himself in the face. He then runs away terrified of his crazy back paw. It's hilarious and really pathetic.

31 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Damn, there's a comment on there that points out another aspect of Derick's shitty behavior:

This is just a really astute observation that I completely agree with. 

Same. That user is 100% right. A lot of people have said he likely gaslights her and now there's video proof.

Trash fire. 

Thanks for the link @HarleyQuinn. I know a lot of us are extra hard on Derick but damn he just gives so many chances to show his ass.

Someone commented on the Reddit thread about him correcting Jill that the mouse hit her boot not her foot. Her foot was in the boot asshat which is how she felt something hit her. 

I'm really feeling like if he finishes law school he will "jokingly" want to be called Dr. Dillard.

I'm phobic of mice due to my grandmother tormenting me with them when I was a small child - she'd capture the mice in live traps and let the dogs eat them in small bites while I was forced to watch, and her idea of discipline veered toward shutting me in the dark pump room - which had mice skittering everywhere and leaving me to think about what I'd done wrong.

I can completely see Jill being incoherent after being confronted with a mouse in her place - especially if she's phobic of them. I had a cat who actually carried a live mouse into my house and released the bloody thing. He wanted to play with it - and did. I spent three days hiding from the mouse and standing on countertops screaming like an idiot when the cat brought the mouse out to play (every evening!) before someone dispatched the creature. That was twenty years ago and I don't know that I'd do any better if I had to deal with a rodent issue today.

DWrek just keeps prooving that he's a walking piece of excrement. Who posts a video like that?

Oh God. He thinks he is so clever.

He's the kind of guy who mistakes "taking everything you say literally and calling you on it" for "wit." And he explains his jokes. 

Insufferable. 

Also, it's clear he thinks Jill is a complete idiot. (Okay, I do too. But I'm not married to the woman. And I do think you should respect your marriage partner.)

Jill's reaction to the mouse seemed to be more that exaggerated half-joking 'I'm hamming it up for an audience' sort of thing (not criticizing, I do the same thing if there's a centipede and my mum's around, hahaha).

She seemed more genuinely upset and uncomfortable that Derick started livestreaming her on Instagram without warning. I'm hoping it was all fake and they set it up because they thought it would make for some good drama/hilarity. 

But Derick is a major asshole and Jill is constantly overcompensating with her #besthubbyever #bestpapaever crap. It definitely doesn't leave a great impression. And I remember someone who supposedly goes to their church saying that Derick belittles Jill all the time. I have no idea if this person was for real, but I can easily believe it.

And I still can't get over how out of it Jill seemed. Maybe she just goes into baby mode when something startles her. But damn.

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

Why would you film your wife freaking out and then upload it?? You really need attention that badly? (I know, I know, he does.)

The start of a new Counting On season has been announced.  Maybe he's both getting attention and putting a damper on his in-laws' gig?

@singsingsing She seemed mortified when Derdick revealed he was putting her on Instagram live. He’s such an asshole.

I liked this commentary 9F68E79A-9B7D-4AD1-9370-D4E373562283.thumb.png.1ea1ac0fb25d58d2e8949b4d27777eb0.png

Also as some redditors pointed out, his whole shtick that he learned in law school   you can kill in self-defense was just sooooo annoying and wanting to draw attention to being in **LAW SCHOOL** Because mouse was threatening their lives!!!

Okay, dumbass. If you had never heard of self-defense before this one class maybe you’re too stupid to be a lawyer. He’s constantly trying to prove how smart he is, but in doing so he makes himself look like the world’s biggest idiot. He leaves the impression he is stupider than he (probably) actually is.

We ripped out the carpets in our log house and had a contractor come in and lay down fake hardwood.  However the carpet and underlay were so thick it left a some gaps between the bottom logs and the floor in the living room, seeing as we live on 17 acres in the middle of no where we got mice coming in and of course my problem cause of hubs stroke. Let me tell you I got over any squeamishness real fast.  I am the Queen of mouse killers.  I went through so many mousetraps you wouldn’t believe it!  The hardware store guy said you can use them more than once, haha, no f’ing way.  Took six mos to find all ports of entry but I did it!  Soooo proud of me!  The cat got a couple too.  Glad that’s over.  I still want to smack that floor guy.  FYI mouses can’t resist peanut butter.   What a nightmare that was! 

3 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Your point about there being many more mice than you see is a good one.

Pretty sure that is the same situation for spiders.

1 minute ago, MarblesMom said:

Pretty sure that is the same situation for spiders.

Don’t say that. Now anytime I see a spider I’ll have to burn the building I’m in to the ground.

I did see two giant spiders in my bathroom within two weeks and asked my dad for matches. This was last year. 

3 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Clearly, time to move @HarryPotterFan

There was also the GIANT SPIDER OF DOOM in the basement bathroom when I was 3. It was Aragog’s child. I didn’t use that bathroom again for almost 10 years. And I literally only used it again because I saw my crush walk in to the bathroom at my 12th birthday party and walk back out alive. I was certain the spider’s family would kill him.

14 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Don’t say that. Now anytime I see a spider I’ll have to burn the building I’m in to the ground.

I did see two giant spiders in my bathroom within two weeks and asked my dad for matches. This was last year. 

I don’t mind spiders but yesterday I had to kill a black widow female who took up residence at my kitchen window.  Life in the country comes at a price!

48 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@singsingsing She seemed mortified when Derdick revealed he was putting her on Instagram live. He’s such an asshole.

I liked this commentary 9F68E79A-9B7D-4AD1-9370-D4E373562283.thumb.png.1ea1ac0fb25d58d2e8949b4d27777eb0.png

Also as some redditors pointed out, his whole shtick that he learned in law school   you can kill in self-defense was just sooooo annoying and wanting to draw attention to being in **LAW SCHOOL** Because mouse was threatening their lives!!!

Okay, dumbass. If you had never heard of self-defense before this one class maybe you’re too stupid to be a lawyer. He’s constantly trying to prove how smart he is, but in doing so he makes himself look like the world’s biggest idiot. He leaves the impression he is stupider than he (probably) actually is.

I did a law degree, and for the first year, at least, I was a giant arsewipe WITH ALL THE STUFF I KNEW ABOUT LAW THAT NO-ONE ELSE KNEW BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO STUPID. I still cringe at the memory of LOUDLY discussing landlord/tenant law on the bus. I am a better person now, because of life experience and good people around me.

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Do they really think that God condones procreating kids that one cannot feed? If not, have they seen manna drop from the sky? Without some nice family member paying their way, how else can JB explain how the Dillards are surviving right now?

But that's just it, isn't it? JB and Michelle actually couldn't handle having that many kids, and they needed a ton of assistance, which culminated in getting a TV show. I don't think they're ignorant, I think they know this isn't a sustainable lifestyle, but a lifestyle that requires constant grifting. If you grift well, it's a sign of God's favor; if you fail at grifting, it's a sign that God hates you. They probably feel real godly because they managed to survive the abuse scandal and basically get X Kids and Counting back on the air.

As for the Dillards, it wouldn't surprise me if Jill was still getting some help from her parents, and Derick was getting some help from his mother. And JB would probably go out of his way to ensure that Jill and Derick don't split because it would reveal a crack not just in his belief system, but also in his brand.

I felt so bad for Jill. He is such a jerk. I’d like to see him try to deal with me for a day....he’d be kissing the ground she walks on in less than an hour. 

Last fall I went into my car one night, after having not driven in several days, and when I went to check behind me for cars before backing out there was an ugly ass spider hanging dead center of the backseat area in the web it created. I part wanted to scream and part wanted to take a pic of it and post it saying Happy Halloween but it was just too creepy for me.  It took a long time to get over that. And a good amount of bleach that was used on the broom I used to clean out my car. I should have gone to a gas station with a vacuum but was not thinking clearly at the time.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived