IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

I believe the Confederate flag was once part of the Arkansas flag. If the book is old which it probably is, the flag on the front would reflect the old ARkansas flag. I'll give them a pass for having a book about their home state in the kids' collection. Even an old one.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I believe the Confederate flag was once part of the Arkansas flag. If the book is old which it probably is, the flag on the front would reflect the old ARkansas flag. I'll give them a pass for having a book about their home state in the kids' collection. Even an old one.

That wasn’t the book mentioned. I posted an upclose photo of the book in question (right next to Paddington.) We can’t see what the title is, but I’m kind of done giving them a pass on even mildly questionable stuff given their history. 

D99FC60F-9048-492F-83FB-66B72F6AFAD2.thumb.png.92f5227fc057dd4873cb16754e15eaac.png

Even if it was a book about Arkansas' past or the civil war, etc, why does a three year old need that? No passes are given from me. You can talk about history without slapping a racist flag on the cover. 

14 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Even if it was a book about Arkansas' past or the civil war, etc, why does a three year old need that? No passes are given from me. You can talk about history without slapping a racist flag on the cover. 

Exactly!  Most 3 year olds want to learn about trucks, nature, animals, and the answers to when they ask "why". I know that cause well I work with 3 year olds at times at church. Most of the time I am working with 0-2 year olds though.

Given that Derick and Jill are known to consider weird libertarian propaganda appropriate reading for their children, I'm inclined to believe that the Confederate flag is yet more indoctrination.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

That wasn’t the book mentioned. I posted an upclose photo of the book in question (right next to Paddington.) We can’t see what the title is, but I’m kind of done giving them a pass on even mildly questionable stuff given their history. 

D99FC60F-9048-492F-83FB-66B72F6AFAD2.thumb.png.92f5227fc057dd4873cb16754e15eaac.png

I feel bad that Paddington has to live right next to the Confederate flag. He deserves better than that. 

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

They get no passes from me. From taunting a teenager to stone cold silence over family separation there is no excuse.

I understand any book of the history of Arkansas would include the stars and bars, but there is telling a history as facts, and showing the flag as a badge of honor. 

One of the stars in the middle of the Arkansas flag symbolizes the confederacy, but the flag has never include the confederate flag proper (thanks Wikipedia!) , so they can’t even use that excuse/explanation. 

25 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

They get no passes from me. From taunting a teenager to stone cold silence over family separation there is no excuse.

I understand any book of the history of Arkansas would include the stars and bars, but there is telling a history as facts, and showing the flag as a badge of honor. 

I’m with you on the taunting, but no one is entitled to details about their relationship with her family.  

I am in no way shocked that the Dillards have a confederate flag mixed in with their kids books. Have we forgot about the awful Tuttle Twins? 

36 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m with you on the taunting, but no one is entitled to details about their relationship with her family.  

I *think* @onekidanddone was referring to the Jill and Derrick’s lack of comment on the separation of children and families at the US southern border. For a woman who has such love for Latin American people, Jill hasn’t had much to say about the abuse our government is inflicting on Latin American families.

20 minutes ago, mpheels said:

I *think* @onekidanddone was referring to the Jill and Derrick’s lack of comment on the separation of children and families at the US southern border. For a woman who has such love for Latin American people, Jill hasn’t had much to say about the abuse our government is inflicting on Latin American families.

OH!  If that’s the case then my apologies - I agree.

If the boys were older and they had a civil war book with the flags of both sides on it, then I'd give them a pass but here I don't.

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I think, from looking at the beginning of the title, that it is a book about Abraham Lincoln, I can't find that cover is a search yet, but there are several that have Lincoln's face over both a Confederate and U. S. Flag because, yeah.  .  . Lost Cause type people sometimes play up how conflicted Lincoln was about the war.

I think I see a copy of Goodnight, Moon on the shelf.  Do they realize that Goodnight, Moon was written by a lesbian?

7 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I think I see a copy of Goodnight, Moon on the shelf.  Do they realize that Goodnight, Moon was written by a lesbian?

I had no idea. Well you do learn something new every day... ❤️

55 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

OH!  If that’s the case then my apologies - I agree.

No worries.

I'm not actually convinced that's a Confederate flag. If it were, there would be white stars within the blue bars, which I can't see (though I have terrible eyesight). Also, it appears the book is rightside up, and yet the flag is oriented vertically. I've never seen a Confederate flag displayed that way.

Since it looks like there's a weird troll guy next to it, it may be some Scandinavian thing. 

Not that I would be surprised in the least if Jill and Derick did have "the glorious old South" type books for their sons. 

21 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I'm not actually convinced that's a Confederate flag. If it were, there would be white stars within the blue bars, which I can't see (though I have terrible eyesight). Also, it appears the book is rightside up, and yet the flag is oriented vertically. I've never seen a Confederate flag displayed that way.

Since it looks like there's a weird troll guy next to it, it may be some Scandinavian thing. 

Not that I would be surprised in the least if Jill and Derick did have "the glorious old South" type books for their sons. 

The only one it looks close to is the Norwegian flag:

855B9126-AFD1-4EE1-BE58-C14FC1F03683.png.01432c45c235d2af99616b48027f43ba.png

Same colors, but the design is clearly different. I can’t see white stars on the flag in the Dill photo either, but the rest of the design is pretty spot on for the Confederate flag. 

I thought the book was on its side.  There are an awful lot of books on the shelf that aren't shelved properly, IOW, how a librarian would shelve them.  There are other books shelved on their spines/sides, books shelved backwards and books shelved upside down.

@Imrlgoddess,  I can't begin to make out a title of that book, but like @nausicaa my eyesight is pretty terrible.  Brave to you if you can see anything.  

12 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I thought the book was on its side.  

I can see that. What I see as a weird troll guy could be something else if turned to the side, but I can't for the life of me make out what it could be.

Come on FJ researchers! Pull something up for us here!

8 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I can see that. What I see as a weird troll guy could be something else if turned to the side, but I can't for the life of me make out what it could be.

Come on FJ researchers! Pull something up for us here!

He looks like Bucksley ...not that I’m admitting to owning this on vinyl, CD, and VHS leading to one of my most embarrassing parenting faux pas I am still mocked for over a decade later.

49BA008A-DC6C-424D-A32E-4DFDAC208EE4.jpeg

A few more photos of the bookshelf from the past few months. The book may not be there, but maybe someone with good eyesight will spot something:

6FBAA2FD-70D2-4FC5-9256-D5F022C17D0C.thumb.png.0262fa4e95da581e2c7a6eb7e8ceee3c.png

Spoiler

35F74284-4E3A-4049-86AE-10E5542C5BEE.thumb.png.778e44002a80020ec1c88bf95a3d2f90.png

Spoiler

969DC57E-123D-4D19-B3A4-7993E3CE4543.thumb.png.4229bc64428a4cc67792bdff58d81836.png

Spoiler

144B6F52-474D-4BA7-86D1-44F560B8E12E.thumb.png.8e96deea6fef894164c254335366fdd5.png

ETA: I’m trying to look online for picture books concerning the Civil War and now I know that Marvel made historical comics about it. The more you know. :gay-rainbow:

Spoiler

B0005E75-E7D2-4DEF-9B54-269341F48866.jpeg.34523a3c1fca608eb04d3fc996518a2b.jpeg

33 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

A few more photos of the bookshelf from the past few months. The book may not be there, but maybe someone with good eyesight will spot something:

6FBAA2FD-70D2-4FC5-9256-D5F022C17D0C.thumb.png.0262fa4e95da581e2c7a6eb7e8ceee3c.png

Hide contents

35F74284-4E3A-4049-86AE-10E5542C5BEE.thumb.png.778e44002a80020ec1c88bf95a3d2f90.png

Hide contents

969DC57E-123D-4D19-B3A4-7993E3CE4543.thumb.png.4229bc64428a4cc67792bdff58d81836.png

Hide contents

144B6F52-474D-4BA7-86D1-44F560B8E12E.thumb.png.8e96deea6fef894164c254335366fdd5.png

ETA: I’m trying to look online for picture books concerning the Civil War and now I know that Marvel made historical comics about it. The more you know. :gay-rainbow:

Hide contents

B0005E75-E7D2-4DEF-9B54-269341F48866.jpeg.34523a3c1fca608eb04d3fc996518a2b.jpeg

The stars and stripes are backward. Stars always go in the upper left.

26 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The stars and stripes are backward. Stars always go in the upper left.

I believe they're both meant to look like they are hanging vertically.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived