IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

Just here to add that lime is life. It's my favorite flavor of anything that has that flavor. I always go for the lemon and lime candies, and everyone always gives them to me when they just want the cherry / strawberry / grape. I'm always happy to help take them off their hands. :D

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Georgiana said:

We have those!  Most people call them Otter Pops (because that's the common brand name), but I've heard freeze pops as well when I was little. Everyone calls them Otter Pops now though because good luck finding non-Otter Pops freeze pops!

I have happy memories of warm/hot afternoons spent on our lawn, under a shady tree, with my son enjoying a blue Otter Pop.  Blue was his favorite.  

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

A couple of years ago we had some sort of casual gathering and my octogenarian dad showed up in royal blue on royal blue sweats. My oldest nephew whispers in my ear, “pa looks like an Otter Pop.” Yep, he actually did. Back in the day the Otter Pops had names and characters on the wrappers.

I always fought with my brothers, cousin and our neighbors that we played with for Strawberry Short Kook!!

DbK4FddUwAA2sP7.jpg

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Sheesh Jill is every frigging night "date night".  Date night at home, date night taking the boys to Sam's Club. Date night in the drive thru.  You really have no idea what a date is do you?

Woe to Derick if Jill actually learns what a real date night is.

12 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Derick Dillard setting the bar so unreasonably high for #besthubbyever by... bringing home takeaway.

Legit question, what are they eating?  It looks like fried wontons, rolls of some sort, and also a side of rice?  I wonder what was int he containers, because that's a lot of white carbs! 

That said, it looks like it was probably cheap and filling.  

did, however, snarkily laugh at this comment:

sashaknox

Oh god ... Take out Sushi from Arkansas. You're gunna be as sick as the kids. XD

13 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Derick Dillard setting the bar so unreasonably high for #besthubbyever by... bringing home takeaway.

To be fair for half a second:

The kids are sick and this probably allowed Jill to avoid having to cook. That can be a huge help when you have sick kids to look after. Not really best hubby material, but it’s at least closer than some of the other things she’s dubbed him best hubby for.

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

If I didn't have to bake a birthday cake for my husband tomorrow, I'd bake a key lime pie.

You could make a key lime cake!!

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I like Lime pop a lot. Some people find it too sweet, but I'm a fan! 

I miss drinking it. Its not easy to find where I am. Found a couple of Crush lime cans in Calgary...yummy. 

Minute Maid limeade is delicious. It's my go to these last couple of weeks. I do cheat though, I add more water than the directions say, but it lasts longer. 

8 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

See, we the people are not opposed to lime. We have key lime yogurt. We have key lime pie. Also, margaritas. 

It’s this candy thing that has gotten to me. There used to be lime jolly ranchers, Sweetarts, LifeSavers, GummyBears, Skittles etc. 

My mom tells me that once upon a time you could buy only lime lifesavers. :( 

Lord above, something I miss about south Texas when the hubs was at an AFB in SA.
LIMES. in. ERRRYTHANG! Especially Jim's Restaurants, where they give you lime for the sweet tea :)

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

If I didn't have to bake a birthday cake for my husband tomorrow, I'd bake a key lime pie.

Happy Pre Birthday to your hubby. Send him our love :D 

I am off to the sunshine coast on Sunday for the day...the gumboot in Roberts Creek has key lime pie...

@adidas, it turns out that I'm not making a cake tomorrow afternoon after all.  My husband's birthday was last weekend and we had a party, but it was more of a party for our granddaughter who had her birthday this week.  We are getting together next Saturday as my youngest will be able to visit.  My birthday is next week, though, and maybe I'll make a key lime cake for next weekend.

@nst, enjoy that Key Lime pie!

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@adidas, it turns out that I'm not making a cake tomorrow afternoon after all.  My husband's birthday was last weekend and we had a party, but it was more of a party for our granddaughter who had her birthday this week.  We are getting together next Saturday as my youngest will be able to visit.  My birthday is next week, though, and maybe I'll make a key lime cake for next weekend.

@nst, enjoy that Key Lime pie!

Happy Birthday!

Thank you, @SassyPants!  My oldest daughter is taking me to see They Shall Not Grow Old which is returning to select theaters on Monday.  She was a history major a Clemson and I'm a history nerd as well, (history minor at UGA.)  Her great great uncle was killed during the war and is buried in France.  Her grandmother was only 2 when her brother died.  

Re: Jill's post about Derick's dad: so much to unpack.

1. I can kind of excuse the "WE miss him", because I think it is possible to feel sad that you never met an SO's dead parent and cannot share important life milestones with them. But at the same time, Jill, you never met Derick's dad. You do not feel the same grief he feels. 

2. When I write or talk about a loved one who has died, generally I talk about good memories of that person, how they impacted my life, maybe a funny story about them. Why Jill would decide to recount the obviously traumatic moment Derick got blindsided by the news that his dad died suddenly instead of any number of probably nice stories about his dad while he was alive shows an immense lack of tact. Not to get all armchair psychologist/cultural anthropologist, but I'm just sort of fascinated by the fact that she's so fixated on the manner and aftermath of his death, and not on who he was while he was still alive. 

Wonder why Derick and Jill didn’t name one of their boys Rick or Richard after his Dad? Their middle names are Scott and David.

18 hours ago, twoandthrough said:

Just here to add that lime is life. It's my favorite flavor of anything that has that flavor. I always go for the lemon and lime candies, and everyone always gives them to me when they just want the cherry / strawberry / grape. I'm always happy to help take them off their hands. :D

SAME! I'm the person most would want to split Starburst with. I never ever go for the reds or purples. Gimme all the lemony, citrusy candy.

56 minutes ago, Markie said:

Wonder why Derick and Jill didn’t name one of their boys Rick or Richard after his Dad? Their middle names are Scott and David.

Scott, David, and Samuel are both family names for them as well:

Scott is the maiden name of Derick’s paternal grandmother, Sue Scott Dillard.

David is a middle name shared by Derick’s brother, Dan, and Jill’s brother, John. 

Samuel is the middle name of Justin Duggar.

I think it’s a safe guess that they’ll continue using family names for future kids and his dad’s first or middle names (starts with a “W”) could end up being used. I would guess they haven’t used his father’s name yet either because they liked other names better or couldn’t pick a name that sounded nice with it that they both liked or because it would just be tough for Derick (and his family) to have to use a name they associate with his dad on a regular basis. 

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Re: Jill's post about Derick's dad: so much to unpack.

1. I can kind of excuse the "WE miss him", because I think it is possible to feel sad that you never met an SO's dead parent and cannot share important life milestones with them. But at the same time, Jill, you never met Derick's dad. You do not feel the same grief he feels. 

2. When I write or talk about a loved one who has died, generally I talk about good memories of that person, how they impacted my life, maybe a funny story about them. Why Jill would decide to recount the obviously traumatic moment Derick got blindsided by the news that his dad died suddenly instead of any number of probably nice stories about his dad while he was alive shows an immense lack of tact. Not to get all armchair psychologist/cultural anthropologist, but I'm just sort of fascinated by the fact that she's so fixated on the manner and aftermath of his death, and not on who he was while he was still alive. 

What I find odd about her post is that she has shared that exact same story about DD’s at least one other time, if not more. Derick must not have shared much about his dad, either that or Jill lack creativity and compassion when posting about her departed FIL. Remember in her wedding episode when they were talking about the possibility of Cathy not making it to the wedding and Jill blurted out, “ or make it at all”? Did TLC edit it out of the reruns?

Poor Jill. Such a delicate subject, such a clueless individual.

I never met Mr. Four's father, who died when he (my husband) was thirteen. Mr. Four does speak of his LIFE more than his death, but he does speak of the death and the aftermath at least once or twice a year. So, even fifty years later, he talks about it. Like Derek's father's death, it was sudden and unexpected. 

I think of Mr. Four's father, I wish I could have met him, I pray for him, but I don't MISS him, nor do I pretend to. 

I think this Dillard "we miss him" stuff is some sort of attempt at inclusiveness, bonding,.......further enmeshment.

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Remember in her wedding episode when they were talking about the possibility of Cathy not making it to the wedding and Jill blurted out, “ or make it at all”? Did TLC edit it out of the reruns?

Jesus Christ, Jill. That's JRod-level tactless. 

2 hours ago, Markie said:

It may be too painful for Derrick and/or Cathy. My mom has asked me to never use one particular family name because the last two peopl with that name (my uncle and my brother) both died unexpectedly in their early twenties.

I've never heard these called anything other than "freezies", regardless of brand, so that was an interesting drift.

images.jpg

29 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I've never heard these called anything other than "freezies", regardless of brand, so that was an interesting drift.

images.jpg

Freeze pops here in Chicago. That's what tey were called when I was a child.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived