IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Same in the 90's for me - though I only took two chemistry classes and that was the extent of my science there. My dad is a mechanic, and he has both metric and imperial sets of sockets and stuff. The thing that would help me most is if we had consistent paper sizes! Some of my customers are from international companies, and so their files are set up for non-American size papers. Which would be fine - the machines and software are set up to handle either - except we apparently can't get the European size paper. It'd still be fine, if I could get the salespeople and bindery to use centimeters for the stuff that came from overseas, but they won't. So we get measurements with four decimal places instead of a nice round metric number. I just need to know what size it is - I don't care what unit you use to describe it.

On the plus side, the printing industry used to have it's OWN measurements, on top of metric and imperial. Luckily points and picas are very rarely used these days. 

I can confirm that my daughter,  currently enrolled at a real University,  is taking Organic Chem  and is whining about the imperial vs metric  system & why can't the US get its head out of its ass and join the rest of the world. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, mollysmom said:

Wow! Good for you! I know that's alot of hard work and discipline!! Keep up the great work!

Thank you. It hasn't been easy but it's so worth it. 

23 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I can confirm that my daughter,  currently enrolled at a real University,  is taking Organic Chem  and is whining about the imperial vs metric  system & why can't the US get its head out of its ass and join the rest of the world. 

ditto 15 y.o. science nerd son has been using metric in science classes since 4th or 5th grade starting with conversion memorization. I recall using flash cards to help him study.

Re: converting Celsius to Fahrenheit (not perfect, but close enough)

celsius doubled and add 30.  It gets you pretty close

Example: 4 Celsius would then be. 4x2= 8 + 30= 38 Fahrenheit 

Example: 12 Celsius would be 12x2=24+30=54 Fahrenheit 

4 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

Re: converting Celsius to Fahrenheit (not perfect, but close enough)

celsius doubled and add 30.  It gets you pretty close

Example: 4 Celsius would then be. 4x2= 8 + 30= 38 Fahrenheit 

Example: 12 Celsius would be 12x2=24+30=54 Fahrenheit 

I was just going to say this. It comes out pretty close! I used to live overseas (currently in America) so I get used to converting back and forth.

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

especially if we've taken a lot of science classes, we just can't remember that 15C is cool enough for a sweatshirt.

15C is shorts weathers. :P 

The day Canada switched to Celsius they made an error calculating fuel volume and this was the result.  The pilot of the plane is up there with heroes like “Sully “ who landed on the Hudson River.

Spoiler

18D1B609-2B43-4807-BA3A-B99B7D306CC4.thumb.png.2b05c35f19fd6b647ef875c60f84d3e7.png

I just see the question about metric measurement as part of the language of science. Every field has its key words and key terms, and sometimes, even units of measurement (stanines, anyone? How about LCCN? I know, two completely different fields.)

The formulae are:

F = 9/5 (C) +32

C = 5/9 (F-32)

The doubling of the degrees Celsius to get the Fahrenheit temperature is pretty close though.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, Lurker said:

This is my speculation only. 

I wonder if Jim Bob is supporting them, I don’t know Cathy’s circumstance but maybe she is helping out too.

I could see that JimBob pays for Derrick, maybe like the old fashioned remittance man found in old novels.  JimBob pays  him to keep away from the family brand and to lay off commenting on TLC.  Derrick shuts ups and finds a new path in life.

Another thing that may have caused JimBob to find his way to underwriting the Dillards lifestyle is the control Derrick has over Jill.  She has probably told him the entire truth about her molestations by Josh.  She was groomed by her parents to have no self autonomy,  raised without knowing that incest is not normal (remember she claimed 2/3 of their circle had similar issues), raised to be a perfect doormat aka wifey. She seems desperate to please and appease him.  So if Derrick knows the truth, not the whitewashed story, he has a way to get Jim Bobs attention, albeit with lots of conditions by JimBob see above.

I wonder if Derrick got some money when his dad passed? Maybe something in his will split the life insurance (if he had it) or there was another sort of inheritance. My brothers finally ex girlfriend he was with for 8 years was like this. Her dad passed away when she was 17 or 18 and even though they were run of the mill middle class she was left with a ton of money. She never worked until a year AFTER college despite getting an accounting degree and getting her CPA cert. She also had my brother who didnt go to college but busted his ass with computer work pay for everything. She could have easily gotten any job. She finally lucked out her first real job was with a company with lucrative government contracts, they paid for multiple employee vacations and she started at close to 6 figures.

GAH she was so lazy and uncommitted and expected my brother to do everything for her, thank Rufus they broke up she wanted to get married and I figured my easy going brother would go along with it but he finally stood up and said no.

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

The day Canada switched to Celsius they made an error calculating fuel volume and this was the result.  The pilot of the plane is up there with heroes like “Sully “ who landed on the Hudson River.

Reveal hidden contents

18D1B609-2B43-4807-BA3A-B99B7D306CC4.thumb.png.2b05c35f19fd6b647ef875c60f84d3e7.png

Wow! My mum was in grade school in Ontario when Canada went from standard to metric so they had to relearn everything.  Shes great at converting back and forth off the top of her head though, super convenient for years of competitive trackwhere my jumps were measured in metric at big national meets and standard units in state. She'd even help all the other American parents of girls I was competing against hahaha.

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Don'tlikekoolaid,  I think it's pretty cool that Manitoba(?) has a town called Gimli.  

The most Icelandic place in the world outside of Iceland, apparently.  

On 1/18/2019 at 2:17 AM, nausicaa said:

I have no idea what these are, but this reminded me of how much Australia's snack food naming skills are seriously on point. 

Lol it’s just a brand name - they’re like your popsicles but in a plastic packet so you nearly get frostbite on your fingers while you’re eating it. Hundreds of thousands of Aussie kids are currently walking around with cuts at the corner of their mouth right now because the plastic edges are so sharp. The generic name is icy pole but I think they’re called freeze pops in the US. The generic brand are garbage. Only Zooper Doopers will do, unless you want to be kinda healthy, then you buy the Quelch 99% juice ones.

Note: currently sold out.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails/199163/zooper-dooper-8-cosmic-flavours

We were all rather excited when they released packets of favourites. I have the fairy floss and black currant pack in my freezer right now. 

https://amp.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/zooper-dooper-release-favourites-packs-just-in-time-for-summer/news-story/195dc44e64dee29af93f42bddbd3a06a

Zooper doopers are also the subject of many memes (if you have time to waste, do a google image search for ‘Zooper Dooper meme’ )

0DEFE4EB-B4AC-48F0-8FC2-75ED7E16E771.jpeg

Spoiler

35FA983B-5B7A-4609-B2F6-9C4AD47FF218.jpeg

Spoiler

FBE6F4E0-C08A-4197-BE81-CA8338AA6144.jpeg

19 minutes ago, adidas said:

Lol it’s just a brand name - they’re like your popsicles but in a plastic packet so you nearly get frostbite on your fingers while you’re eating it. Hundreds of thousands of Aussie kids are currently walking around with cuts at the corner of their mouth right now because the plastic edges are so sharp. The generic name is icy pole but I think they’re called freeze pops in the US. The generic brand are garbage. Only Zooper Doopers will do, unless you want to be kinda healthy, then you buy the Quelch 99% juice ones.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails/199163/zooper-dooper-8-cosmic-flavours

We were all rather excited when they released packets of favourites. I have the fairy floss and black currant pack in my freezer right now. 

https://amp.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/zooper-dooper-release-favourites-packs-just-in-time-for-summer/news-story/195dc44e64dee29af93f42bddbd3a06a

Zooper doopers are also the subject of many memes (if you have time to waste, do a google image search for ‘Zooper Dooper meme’ )

We have those!  Most people call them Otter Pops (because that's the common brand name), but I've heard freeze pops as well when I was little. Everyone calls them Otter Pops now though because good luck finding non-Otter Pops freeze pops!

7 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I have no idea what these are, but this reminded me of how much Australia's snack food naming skills are seriously on point. 

45 degrees today. I am going to be living off Zooper Doopers. Coles had them for 2.50 a packet and I brought four packets. I am going to eat all the black currants first.

48 minutes ago, adidas said:

My store had coke and lime as favourites.... I was like wtf???? how are they the favourites?

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

The most Icelandic place in the world outside of Iceland, apparently.  

Plus they make the worlds best whiskey

Spoiler

C6D82B0D-19F6-4E69-BAFB-F07B51517EBC.thumb.png.39c006315e0960eb8e45d51908b7d1c4.png

I don’t know what it’s called but there is a Mexican brand sold up here. I have investigated and found that the colors correspond to unexcpected flavors like pink=melon, orange=tamarind, yellow=banana and of course green=apple ?

Fairy floss is one of the best names for something ever.

Luckily, lime popsicles are one of the few things still remaining lime. One can still purchase full boxes. (Sorry folks, Alice’s favorite tangent)

I would, if I had them, probably lick a lime and a coke one alternately. Lime in a coke is a gift from heaven!

Further edited to add.

For the unaware: Apparently, lime is not so trendy. It is very very very very hard to find lime flavored anything. It has been replaced in the candy aisle by green apple. Petitions have been sent to candy companys (Skittles) to bring back lime. I am not shocked that lime might sell out.

I have heard that the limeade at Sonic is very popular.

11 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I don’t know what it’s called but there is a Mexican brand sold up here. I have investigated and found that the colors correspond to unexcpected flavors like pink=melon, orange=tamarind, yellow=banana and of course green=apple ?

Fairy floss is one of the best names for something ever.

Luckily, lime popsicles are one of the few things still remaining lime. One can still purchase full boxes. (Sorry folks, Alice’s favorite tangent)

I would, if I had them, probably lick a lime and a coke one alternately. Lime in a coke is a gift from heaven!

I don't know if you know but fairy floss is Aussie for Cotton Cane

3 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don't know if you know but fairy floss is Aussie for Cotton Cane

I was aware that it equated with something like “spun sugar” yes. It’s lovely. Who doesn’t like fairies :) ?

7 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I was aware that it equated with something like “spun sugar” yes. It’s lovely. Who doesn’t like fairies :) ?

exactly!!!!

Their floss is delicious! :D 

BTW my husband loves lime flavoured anything. He would buy the cola lime pack (and get stink eye from me) lol 

I currently have the package of lime, banana, and root beer popsicles in my freezer, left over from summer. I don't care for the cherry/orange/grape package. My package is carefully rationed out. Fortunately, I really like all 3 of the flavors, and there isn't a bad flavor in the package.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived