IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

55 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

What would people do if they were counting calories? I use my food scale a lot to weigh food if I know it has x amount of calories per 100 g, then I can find out how many calories I'm eating. Very useful for the 5-2 diet when on two days you only eat ~500 calories. Is there a way to count calories without a scale? I suppose if serving sizes are given in cups? 

as you may notice we don't count calories very well here, and this is probably part of the problem. We mostly "guess" the portion and calories but aren't 100% which explains a lot if you think about it.  There are people who do weigh their food and do it like this to get their exact calorie count but many more American's are far to lazy (myself included) to be bothered with that. and yes servings sizes are given in cups not grams. Most Americans do not understand the metric system and are pretty head strong about NOT learning the metric system because 'Murkia and Jebus and all that pew pew gun stuff or something. 

I do think we need to bite the bullet and start teaching it in schools, right now and in 10 or years we just make the switch, completely.  It will be brutal at first especially for older American's like me who don't have kids in grade school anymore, and my kids don't know it, but my kids are much more flexible than baby boomers. Once we've got everyone knowing it, they won't know any different, and will look at our old unit of measures and think Why were we so stupid for so long? But it will be a long arduous few years of getting everyone converted. The conservatives will kick and scream to their graves, but they aren't in public schools anyway so they can be stupid just like they are now. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the reason that Jill may not have migrated over to healthy food like her sisters is that she could have a faster metabolism + is married to somebody who is pretty underweight so it hasn't hit her yet. I don't think that she knows much about nutrition beyond "X is fat and Y is not." Joy gained a LOT of weight in pregnancy, and I know somebody will pop up now to say it's fat shaming, but it's not meant as such. Just an observation and the medical fact that it's unhealthy. Jessa also gained a lot less with Henry and specifically said she tried to keep her weight gain lower. Jinger eats healthier but my guess is that Jeremy being an athlete and a totally self-absorbed guy dictates that their diets aren't exclusively made up of canned cream of X. Jill was really big in pregnancy but it really seemed to be mostly the belly and melted off pretty quickly afterwards, even though she had c-sections. Derick is underweight even though he keeps the same diet. Her kids look to be of average weight as well. I bet you that if she had trouble losing weight after pregnancies she'd be eating differently.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, singsingsing said:

This reminds me of how I just told my mum that I've been thinking about getting a golden retriever. She said, "The great thing about a dog is that they'll bark if anyone comes around the house!" I was like, "A golden retriever, are you kidding me? He'd open the door for them!"

I have 2 golden retrievers. They simultaneously bark like mad and open the door (literally- one of them can open doors)

This photo is my two cuties and my in-laws new puppy

7E1B7135-A671-4A6C-A776-B50E522C3B90.jpeg

E10449E9-6EDE-4642-A523-C1D057BBC291.jpeg

5 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

I have 2 golden retrievers. They simultaneously bark like mad and open the door (literally- one of them can open doors)

This photo is my two cuties and my in-laws new puppy

7E1B7135-A671-4A6C-A776-B50E522C3B90.jpeg

E10449E9-6EDE-4642-A523-C1D057BBC291.jpeg

Oh, my heart! ❤️ They're so beautiful! Truly the most wonderful dogs!

@AtlanticTug that's a good point about Jill and Derick being naturally thin. Jill looks so much like Jim Bob who was quite lean up until recently (no shame, that's just life/age). It's so common in families for kids to trend different ways, especially during puberty. If it's easy for you to maintain a weight you're happy with, then I can see you not feeling an impetus to eat differently. 

PCOS means it's really easy for me to gain weight and I used to be ridiculously picky. It's been hard work trying out different vegetables and preparation methods of those veg to make my diet healthier. But over the 4+ years of my marriage, my meal planning has gotten more and more healthy. Meanwhile my sister is super thin without having to work at it much and she has a really hard time eating healthy.

11 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Who in North America has a food scale? They're not common here like they are in Europe.

That said, it might've been easier if she used litres or gallons.

They are certainly common here in California. How else would you make cannabutter? 

I have scales and do use them for some things but for things like pancakes, I just use a cup to measure ingredients out. 

I have a digital food scale.  Use is quite a bit, especially when dieting.

I live in the USA and was taught our weird units of measure as a kid in school.  BUT!  We were also taught the metric system and were told that it would only be a few years until the USA would be converted to metric as well.  Here it is 30 years later and I'm still weighing myself in pounds, my food in ounces and my distances in inches, yards and miles.

The one that always gets me is the British "Stone" what's that?  Why do they use that in place of kilograms?

54 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

I have a digital food scale.  Use is quite a bit, especially when dieting.

I live in the USA and was taught our weird units of measure as a kid in school.  BUT!  We were also taught the metric system and were told that it would only be a few years until the USA would be converted to metric as well.  Here it is 30 years later and I'm still weighing myself in pounds, my food in ounces and my distances in inches, yards and miles.

The one that always gets me is the British "Stone" what's that?  Why do they use that in place of kilograms?

This.   Also, when in Europe I find myself converting fairly easily within a few days.  You get used to it.  I think don’t think America will convert to the metric system any time soon.  There is no immediate need to do so.  (In other words, Americans need a reason.)

4 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

Same! I track my calories and portion intake so I have a food scale and use it regularly. I've lost 110 pounds in 2 years by eating better, now I just have to keep it off. 

Wow! Good for you! I know that's alot of hard work and discipline!! Keep up the great work!

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

We don't do that here in the U.S,, some people obviously do, but it isn't as common as it is in Europe. And one thing Jana should have done was cut the recipe down by at least 1/2, I have a similar recipe, but because I suck at math I can't tell you in fractions how many times I reduce the size of  hers,  I figured by it by cutting it in 1/2 and then cutting  by 1/2 again, so I'm only making 1 large loaf of bread or 4 mini loafs.  That recipe is insane, a family of 3 or 4 can't eat 4 huge loafs of bread in a weeks time, they could but they would be mighty sick of it and mighty sick too.  That is a lot of bread, even for this bread lover. 

Why? why should she do the work for people? She is simply sharing her family's size recipe. If someone wants to make it, they can convert it. Not snarking at you. Just in general, sharing recipes IMO it does not come with the obligation to cater for everyone... Should she convert for a family or four, a single person, a couple?  Where does she draw the line? 

I think a big reason for not switching to metric is the amount of work and money it will initially entail. Think about road signals one huge example, every single mile marker, exit sign, miles to x city sign, etc. will have to be removed and kilometer markers would have to be set up (in some cases in different places). Would exit numbers on the interstates change as they currently roughly align with mileage markers? If so that would be a very difficult transition for people giving directions (although a lot of people use GPS rather than directions from people). I think a big thing preventing a transition is logistical issues like this that would be a huge pain to deal with even if it may be better in the end.

I consider what Derrick did emotionally abusive. Having worked in a women's shelter, the general consensus was that the emotional abuse was worse than the physical. It stayed with them much longer and wrecked their self esteem. Jill was forced to try to laugh it off. Red flags. I don't think that Derrick would actually hit her, but that video, posted against her will, was worrying.

Re: recipe size

I think it depends on your audience. If you want a general audience, then you should cut down your recipes to a size that will fit more people. 

But if I were a Duggar recipe blogger, I’d go for the “large family size” niche. That’s what the Duggar’s are known for, and it can be harder to find crowd-oriented recipes online since most recipe bloggers go for the 4-6 servings crowd. I can count on one hand the amount of recipes I have to serve 20-ish people, and if I had a food sensitivity issue in the group, I’d struggle to find a recipe that would work. 

Even I would probably go to a Duggar blog first for easy, large-crowd recipes in a pinch. After all, I know they routinely feed 20 people without prodigious cooking skill, so their image makes them they seem like a natural source for something like that. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I can count on one hand the amount of recipes I have to serve 20-ish people

I'm trying to think of crowd pleasing recipes I've used. We seem to have a lot of parties and cookouts and various things, and they always are "bring a dish to pass" so maybe we don't cook for 20, but somehow there is always too much food.

And while I was listing out various dishes we've made and brought, I realized that *I* should be the one with the "how to feed a crowd" blog. Although I'm not raising kids at the same time, so I actually have a good chunk of time to cook for all the parties we throw/are invited to, and therefore occasionally go a bit overboard on occasion. 

I do have a food scale, but need to get a better one.  Many recent US recipes are written with both weight measures and cup measures.  The weights might be in both Imperial (pounds and ounces) and metric.  Liquid measuring cups have come in Imperial and metric for years.  

I was just reading a recipe for the King Arthur recipe of the year for classic yellow birthday cake with chocolate frosting which specified that the dry ingredients were to be weighed.  

11 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

We live in the US and have a food scale. We probably bought it on amazon. I don't use it that often but my husband does. He likes to actually measure and weigh things out properly whereas I like to just eyeball it, but it does come in handy.

I have one. I use it to weigh my hedgehog. And I use it for cooking sometimes.

I have a food scale that I use in baking. My favorite brownie recipe measures the chocolate by weight, but I use the scale just as often for weighing yarn.

1 minute ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I have a food scale that I use in baking. My favorite brownie recipe measures the chocolate by weight, but I use the scale just as often for weighing yarn.

I use mine for yarn only, lol. 

I had a food scale when I was calorie counting. 

I do wonder how often J & D eat the things she posts about, I remember there  was some pasta sauce with a stick of butter in it that Derick said on Twitter was one of his favorites. I also wonder if they get regular check ups and bloodwork done. By someone besides the Dr they went to on CO that has lost his license since IIRC.

Especially for Wreck when he was really thin looking after his mouth surgery...with what happened to his dad...I'd want to be cautious about how I gained the weight. There was a time when I was about 8 or 9 and underweight, and an extremely picky eater, for a short period of time the doctors told my mom to let me eat whatever I wanted because they just wanted to get calories into me. I had regular bloodwork during that time and my cholesterol went up and after I put on enough weight they wanted me to work in healthier foods and ease up on the donuts and ice cream.

1 hour ago, DarkAnts said:

I have one. I use it to weigh my hedgehog. And I use it for cooking sometimes.

I have two, same model, to weigh foster kittens, especially important with bottle babies.

I bought the second one when I thought the first was broken. It turned out that the terminals were just dirty.

Now, I use the extra one exclusively to weigh food.

6 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I think a big reason for not switching to metric is the amount of work and money it will initially entail. Think about road signals one huge example, every single mile marker, exit sign, miles to x city sign, etc. will have to be removed and kilometer markers would have to be set up (in some cases in different places). Would exit numbers on the interstates change as they currently roughly align with mileage markers? If so that would be a very difficult transition for people giving directions (although a lot of people use GPS rather than directions from people). I think a big thing preventing a transition is logistical issues like this that would be a huge pain to deal with even if it may be better in the end.

I can’t see signs getting changed. Roads don’t even get properly maintained. So many potholes everywhere.

49 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

I also wonder if they get regular check ups and bloodwork done. By someone besides the Dr they went to on CO that has lost his license since IIRC.

Really? How did I miss that?

48 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

I have two, same model, to weigh foster kittens, especially important with bottle babies.

I bought the second one when I thought the first was broken. It turned out that the terminals were just dirty.

Now, I use the extra one exclusively to weigh food.

LITTLE KITTY BABIES!!! You are an amazing human. Fostering such tiny babies takes so much dedication. But when those kitties get adopted you give families such an amazing gift ❤️ :kitty: Also my favorite Facebook group is Love Meow, which features videos of little snuggly foster babies every day. 

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I consider what Derrick did emotionally abusive. Having worked in a women's shelter, the general consensus was that the emotional abuse was worse than the physical. It stayed with them much longer and wrecked their self esteem. Jill was forced to try to laugh it off. Red flags. I don't think that Derrick would actually hit her, but that video, posted against her will, was worrying.

I scrolled back and couldn’t find reference to this, what happened?

@HarryPotterFan I read it on FJ, did a search to refresh my memory and then a google search:

Link to the Go Fund Me page that Michelle is listed on as being involved with starting it (page is still up but no longer accepting donations)

Then I found this on Google

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/actions/2011/fr1117_5.htm

26DEB21F-C821-4F0D-A8D9-D91D4C899579.thumb.jpeg.6d9d0ec4979d8d9d36540383c3fa9300.jpeg

11 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

You get used to it.  I think don’t think America will convert to the metric system any time soon.  There is no immediate need to do so.  (In other words, Americans need a reason.)

100%! I work for a global org in Australia for a US owned business and you do get used to converting as appropriate in your head but I think we are also more exposed to your system (through movies etc.) than you are ours so it's somewhat easier... you being America, not op LOL

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived