IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Does anyone else find it strange that the first pic on her November 2018 blog post says “Samuel hanging out with Papa at the big house” instead of “at my parents’ house” or “at Grandma and Grandpa’s house”

I understand this from Jill. The house my parents live in is referred to as "the other house". 

For backstory,  we lived across the country growing up.  My parents still own that house and have rented it to some relatives.  

As adults,  we've all independently moved west,  and all live in our own homes,  but in the same town. So the house across the country is "home"; my parents' current house is "the other house". 

Although,  now that i think about it, we refer to it as "my parents' house" to outsiders. Maybe it is weird.  

46 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

This is something I find weird. They don't live too far from the TTH, do they? Yet it looks like she really is quite isolated from her older siblings and childhood home. She is the Duggar kid I thought would spend her days back at Pa and Ma even after marriage.

In terms of isolation, I wonder if the Dillards only have 1 car which DD uses to go to class?

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of isolation, I wonder if the Dillards only have 1 car which DD uses to go to class?

That’s what I’m thinking too. If I remember right, they only had one car when they first married. One car would probably make more sense on a tighter budget too. 

As we're talking about kids in dangerous situations I was recently out to eat and saw a kid who had his water glass perched on a napkin on the edge of the table and he started to pull. His mom stopped him before it actually fell, but what do parents think of how a stranger should react if you see something that will cause a mess, but no actual harm. Do you think it's best to stop the kid, talk to the parent, or leave them be and hope for the best?

18 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

That’s what I’m thinking too. If I remember right, they only had one car when they first married. One car would probably make more sense on a tighter budget too. 

And it explains why they are always together when running errands. To Amy’s shop and in the recent live IG when they were on the way to DD’s ortho appointment and other errands ( per their words) as examples.  Most couples would split up to do errands in half the time, and even if Jill wanted to be at the ortho appt as an advocate for DD, wouldn’t you get a sitter so your attention could be focused on the appt and information given etc...? However, if this is the case, would DD take the car to be parked in a lot all day leaving Jill and the kids without easy transportation? 

I subconsciously sort of assumed the Dillards were a one car family, just from Jill doing things like taking seemingly long treks to Chick Fil A and stuff. You don't do stuff like that with two small children to wrangle unless you live in a super walkable community.

Edit: Looking it up, I guess the Chick Fil A walk was when they were on a trip out of state, so maybe my assumption was wrong.

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

However, if this is the case, would DD take the car to be parked in a lot all day leaving Jill and the kids without easy transportation? 

Yes, in my opinion, yes he would. That's like Controlling Spouse 101.

The reason I find Izzy's photo unsettling is that there's no possible backstory here that's benign. Either his idiot parents (maybe Derick was watching him, who knows) put him up there, or he had the idea and his idiot parents decided "hey, let's go with the four-year-old's unsafe sounding idea" and took a photo of it, or he was just "caught" doing this (unlikely) and his idiot parents decided it'd be best to take a photograph before saving him from a potential head cracking. There's no possible scenario here in which Derick and Jill aren't uber-idiots and bad parents. And these people are probably homeschooling. Homeschooling. Hooooooooooomeschoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooling. 

If they are a one car family, that further supports the idea that the Dillards are not part of life in the TTH  or even accepted in the inner circle of Duggar life.  The Duggars run eleventy used car lots, they can’t  find a low end car or a loaner for Jill to use?  

On 1/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, Jellybean said:

I don’t think anyone has mentioned yet (and I don’t know if US mice are the same as British mice in this regard, or others) but mice urinate pretty much constantly as they walk around. They are not sweet, clean creatures in your home.

@Jellybean Yes, there is a difference between US mice and British mice. Ours are very dangerous, evasive and cunning. We are currently experiencing an infestation, but we're working on the problem...

Spoiler

943979183_britmouse.jpg.244923294a3a618f10f131b72b1fc54d.jpg

Spoiler

1245048629_usmouse.jpg.d605ac43d3bb7e9c84674993fdff172e.jpg

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And it explains why they are always together when running errands. To Amy’s shop and in the recent live IG when they were on the way to DD’s ortho appointment and other errands ( per their words) as examples.  Most couples would split up to do errands in half the time, and even if Jill wanted to be at the ortho appt as an advocate for DD, wouldn’t you get a sitter so your attention could be focused on the appt and information given etc...? However, if this is the case, would DD take the car to be parked in a lot all day leaving Jill and the kids without easy transportation? 

Probably. It might depend on the day though. We know that Jill and the boys brought him dinner while he was studying last semester and we’ve seen Jill out and about with just the boys to go to appointments or vote. If they do have only one car then I’d guess they take turns using it depending on what they have to do during the day. 

Neither Jill or Derick have even one iota of common sense.  Jill’s instagram has become a click bait site and I hope someone calls CPS. They are so unaware of their bad behaviour they have become dangerous and repulsive.  To hell with the both of them unless Jill grows a pair and takes those kids away her future is doomed.  :5624797b0697e_headbash:

1 hour ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

As we're talking about kids in dangerous situations I was recently out to eat and saw a kid who had his water glass perched on a napkin on the edge of the table and he started to pull. His mom stopped him before it actually fell, but what do parents think of how a stranger should react if you see something that will cause a mess, but no actual harm. Do you think it's best to stop the kid, talk to the parent, or leave them be and hope for the best?

Around Christmas I went out to lunch with a friend who was in town. There was group at the table next to us who had an adorable baby with them. The baby grabbed someone’s glass of whiskey. I noticed before the mom did. I was ready to leap out of my chair to stop this. The mom noticed just as the baby put the glass to his lips. I was half way out of my chair, still not knowing what I was going to do. Jump up and scream, “Your baby is about to drink whiskey!!!”?? Trying to alert the parents seemed like it would take too many precious seconds, but I also don’t want to touch/grab something from a strangers baby. So what do you do if a baby or kid is getting themselves into trouble? The baby wouldn’t necessarily have gotten hurt, just potentially tipsy...

Edit: The baby also had amazing dexterity for one so little. He could have easily taken a sip out of the glass without spilling. 

8 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Around Christmas I went out to lunch with a friend who was in town. There was group at the table next to us who had an adorable baby with them. The baby grabbed someone’s glass of whiskey. I noticed before the mom did. I was ready to leap out of my chair to stop this. The mom noticed just as the baby put the glass to his lips. I was half way out of my chair, still not knowing what I was going to do. Jump up and scream, “Your baby is about to drink whiskey!!!”?? Trying to alert the parents seemed like it would take too many precious seconds, but I also don’t want to touch/grab something from a strangers baby. So what do you do if a baby or kid is getting themselves into trouble? The baby wouldn’t necessarily have gotten hurt, just potentially tipsy...

I hate this kind of situation because of the cultural expectation in the U.S. that you don't mess with other people's children. Which I understand, but when kids are doing something really unsafe, stupid, or illegal, it's hard not to want to jump in. I'm also a very "safety police" type of person who focuses on keeping everybody safe, not just kids, so I have to restrain that urge to step in. 

8 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I haven’t had this exact situation, but I have seen toddlers in stores messing around in carts (typically trying to climb out and just being precariously balanced) while mom was 2 seconds away. I try to stay calm and go over to the toddler and say in a gentle tone, “I don’t know if your mama wants you climbing like that,” while being close enough to catch if necessary (it never has been). 

In a scenario like you described, I’d probably head over there, try to catch the closest parent’s eye, and quickly but calmly inform them of what’s up. The reason I keep mentioning a gentle voice is that kiddos can startle easily, so dropping a glass or losing balance in a cart could be easily accomplished, and that wouldn’t really help the situation at all.

30 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I was half way out of my chair, still not knowing what I was going to do. Jump up and scream, “Your baby is about to drink whiskey!!!”?? Trying to alert the parents seemed like it would take too many precious seconds, but I also don’t want to touch/grab something from a strangers baby. So what do you do if a baby or kid is getting themselves into trouble? The baby wouldn’t necessarily have gotten hurt, just potentially tipsy...

If you step in either by shouting, removing the harm or just going straight to them saying uh look at your kid, I think most* parents would be taken aback but grateful 3 seconds later once they realise you were helping and not trying to steal or hurt their kid. Takes a village!

*Read the parents though... just for your own safety. All kids deserve your intervention** but what action I do take would probably be based on my first impression of the parents. 

** There are some times when all rules are out the window but in that case I think it's an instinctual reaction at that point

Eta. Don't know if this is something we are a bit more relaxed about in Australia or not and could understand why it might be inappropriate to interfere at all elsewhere in the world. Or maybe it's just me. LOL 

7 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

I haven’t had this exact situation, but I have seen toddlers in stores messing around in carts (typically trying to climb out and just being precariously balanced) while mom was 2 seconds away. I try to stay calm and go over to the toddler and say in a gentle tone, “I don’t know if your mama wants you climbing like that,” while being close enough to catch if necessary (it never has been). 

In a scenario like you described, I’d probably head over there, try to catch the closest parent’s eye, and quickly but calmly inform them of what’s up. The reason I keep mentioning a gentle voice is that kiddos can startle easily, so dropping a glass or losing balance in a cart could be easily accomplished, and that wouldn’t really help the situation at all.

I caught the mom’s eye right after she stopped the baby. I said I noticed just before she did and was ready to leap out of my chair. She laughed. It just felt like one of those moments that by the time you alert the parent, the baby would have already done the thing since little kids can get themselves into trouble in the time it takes to blink. But I do like the idea of calmly telling the kid their mama probably doesn’t want them to do something.

There was one time when I was a kid and was playing at a Chuck E Cheese type place. There was a section with a bunch of punching bags, which another kid was kicking and punching wildly. I saw a toddler about to walk by so I jumped between the flying bags and the toddler. The parent was very grateful. Apparently I had better instincts to protect toddlers from harm when I was like 10 than Jill and Derick do as adults... 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

If they are a one car family, that further supports the idea that the Dillards are not part of life in the TTH  or even accepted in the inner circle of Duggar life.  The Duggars run eleventy used car lots, they can’t  find a low end car or a loaner for Jill to use?  

Absolutely spot on true. Plus I could imagine DD turning down the car in an attempt to show his authority and fake superiority. And at the same time convincing Jill that it’s God’s will or some other equally distasteful BS.

I never used to really believe that these young guys wanted to be headships, but  now I think DD does-

I think that they probably have two cars, but that Jill truly wants to do EVERYTHING with Derick. I don’t think that Derick buys into the fundy headship concept, but it doesn’t stop him from acting like an ass. I think he’s stated that he doesn’t decide what Jill wears or what she watches on TV, but I think Jill would rather be led by Derick than make any independent decisions, just like Joy and Austin at their wedding.

Bad enough they didn't stop the kids from doing it, but to take a pic and to share it. Mind boggling. 

I will never for that pic of Izzy all swaddled up and it's obvious he was so upset. 

Dang, Jill and Derick. Why? 

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

These look like "lets let them fall off of these chairs to teach them a lesson" photos. 

Someone earlier in the thread questioned on whether or not we were at peak pathetic or pathetic base camp, I think we're closer to peak now. 

Nah. They're like Donald Trump. Every time you think this is it, a bear shits in the woods.

4 hours ago, ALM7 said:

@JellybeanOurs are very dangerous, evasive and cunning. We are currently experiencing an infestation, but we're working on the problem... 

If we want to talk about mouse plagues I have a couple of videos for you from South Australia... (I would not suggest watching either of these if you are squeamish about mice, or for that matter eating...).

Spoiler

Spoiler

According to the second video the plagues tend to happen in South Australia every 10 years or so...

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived