IGNORED

Shutdown stories

onekidanddone

There is a bank in Oklahoma that said they will carry their account holders as long as they can so that things like mortgages and insurance payments can be made, and groceries can be purchased.  But they aren't going to be able to do it for a really long time.

There was a news report a few days about about a few local food pantries that are asking for additional donations, because they are expecting more demand as government workers can't buy groceries since they are not getting paid.

Also, the Tulsa Zoo is offering free admission to federal employees.  Which may not sound like a lot, but it's all they can do and they are doing it.

The idiot in office does not care.  He doesn't care who he hurts or what people have to go through.  All that asshole is thinking about is his own stupid, racist, bigoted self.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea. 

McTurtle needs to come out of his shell.

"‘This is an emergency’: José Andrés to open relief kitchen for federal workers during shutdown"

Spoiler

José Andrés, chef, restaurateur and Nobel Peace Prize nominee, will focus his humanitarian efforts on his hometown this week, when his nonprofit organization launches a relief kitchen to feed furloughed federal workers in Washington.

The decision to open a food kitchen only steps away from the White House and the U.S. Capitol is both practical and symbolic, Andrés said during a phone interview from Puerto Rico today.

Practically, the free #ChefsforFeds kitchen will feed federal workers and their families during the partial government shutdown, now in its fourth week. In this sense, the operation in downtown Washington will not be too far removed from the food relief that World Central Kitchen — the organization that Andrés launched after the 2010 earthquake in Haiti — has offered in Puerto Rico, Houston, Florida, North Carolina, Tijuana, Guatemala and other locales where people have suffered after natural or man-made disasters.

“I believe it’s an emergency,” Andrés told The Washington Post about the partial federal shutdown. “I believe these people are going to be suffering, and we are a food relief organization.”

But on another level, the relief kitchen on Pennsylvania Avenue NW — the site is currently a test kitchen for the chef’s ThinkFoodGroup, which is donating the space for the cause — is a symbolic display designed to spark political dialogue to end the shutdown, which is in its 24th day. In a Twitter video announcing the D.C. initiative, Andrés said he hoped the kitchen would motivate the government to act.

[José Andrés is nominated for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, congressman confirms]

“I hope it will be a call to action to our senators and congressmen, and especially President Trump, to make sure that we end this moment in the history of America, where families are about to go hungry,” Andrés said. “We should always come together as we the people, as Americans, bipartisan.”

In the interview with The Post, Andrés said his relief kitchen “sends a message that we’re here for the people. It sends a message that our leaders should come together and find common ground.”

As such, Andrés said, he will institute a policy for any politician who tries to turn the #ChefsforFeds kitchen into a grandstanding opportunity. World Central Kitchen, he said, will warmly accept any politico who wants to volunteer at the temporary kitchen, but only if he or she brings along someone from the opposite party. The other person must be someone “who doesn’t think like them,” Andrés emphasized.

Then again, some critics have accused Andrés of being the grandstander in this scenario.

“Sorry but I talk to many many one parent mothers with children and they are having a hard time already!” Andrés responded to the critic above.

The #ChefsforFeds kitchen will debut on Wednesday at 701 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, and it will run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The volunteer chefs will not only have hot meals available for federal workers who show a government ID, but also ingredients and recipes for workers to take home to feed their families. The latter component is important to Andrés; he remembers being a child back in Spain when his own family was living paycheck to paycheck. The days near the end of the month could be tough, he recalled. They forced his mother to come up with creative way to reuse leftovers.

[José Andrés’s riveting ‘We Fed an Island’ calls for a revolution in disaster relief]

“We’ve all been there,” Andrés said.

The #ChefsforFeds kitchen will not affect the sandwich giveaway for federal employees from 2 to 5 p.m. daily at Andrés’s restaurants, including Jaleo, Zaytinya and Oyamel. ThinkFoodGroup has been handing out 200 to 300 free sandwiches a day at each restaurant, Andrés said. He estimates that between food costs and labor, his restaurant group has so far spent more than $50,000 feeding government employees.

“I’ve been in business 25 years because of federal workers,” Andrés said. “The least I can do is be there for them when they need us.”

Well, that's something to look forward to. If your Putin's agent, that is. I'm sure he'll love the US losing it's triple A credit status.

@GreyhoundFan, I really loved this part that you bolded:

In the interview with The Post, Andrés said his relief kitchen “sends a message that we’re here for the people. It sends a message that our leaders should come together and find common ground.”

As such, Andrés said, he will institute a policy for any politician who tries to turn the #ChefsforFeds kitchen into a grandstanding opportunity. World Central Kitchen, he said, will warmly accept any politico who wants to volunteer at the temporary kitchen, but only if he or she brings along someone from the opposite party. The other person must be someone “who doesn’t think like them,” Andrés emphasized.

In the past, our best politicians were the ones that worked together with people who disagreed with them; finding common ground and compromising to make things better for the people of their city, state, or nation. Do modern politicians even listen to each other anymore? 

16 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@GreyhoundFan, I really loved this part that you bolded:

In the past, our best politicians were the ones that worked together with people who disagreed with them; finding common ground and compromising to make things better for the people of their city, state, or nation. Do modern politicians even listen to each other anymore? 

This is why I am actually against term limits. If you can only be in Washington for four, six, or eight years, you don't have to work with the other party. You can be deeply entrenched in whatever interest you and or the lobbyists and others who put you there. While definitely I think some, like McConnell and Graham, need to go, real relationships and trust and "I will help you with this if you help me with that" get built over a much longer period of time, one in which you hope to be a longer serving person and not a short serving person. I think if we did go to term limits, our government would work even less than it does today with the special interests each deciding the every single issue is the hill on which they want to die and refusing to allow votes to come to the floor even more than what we have now.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

This is why I am actually against term limits. If you can only be in Washington for four, six, or eight years, you don't have to work with the other party. You can be deeply entrenched in whatever interest you and or the lobbyists and others who put you there. While definitely I think some, like McConnell and Graham, need to go, real relationships and trust and "I will help you with this if you help me with that" get built over a much longer period of time, one in which you hope to be a longer serving person and not a short serving person. I think if we did go to term limits, our government would work even less than it does today with the special interests each deciding the every single issue is the hill on which they want to die and refusing to allow votes to come to the floor even more than what we have now.

This is a very interesting argument against term limits that I had not considered, and it's one well worth thinking about.

#TrumpShitShow day 26

When I started working at my agency it was because I believed in the mission.  I was over the moon because it was a dream come true. All that is falling apart now.  I'm five or so years away from retirement, but I have freshman in high school who will be heading off to college in a few short years so I'm still going to need the income. I also had planned to stay past my eligibility date because I still wanted to honor the oath I took on my first day when I swore to protect the Constitution and my country. That has all gone to shit now.

Trump has signed the bill to pay me when (if) I can go back to work. Well La De Fucking Da! Why not pay me to DO MY JOB! 

So what happens if this keeps up and people just quit? The airports shut down, no one gets a tax refund, border control, coast guard all walk off, do you think the ensuing chaos would be enough to stop the GOP from protecting Trump? People can and will only work for free for a certain amount of time. 

I only hope that out of this nightmare will come a realization by most of America that our system is broken and the GOP needs to be dismantled because it is corrupt to the core. 

Celebrity's 'Chefs for Feds' kitchen feeds unpaid U.S. government

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maurice Wilson joined dozens of fellow federal workers in Washington on Wednesday at the opening of celebrity chef Jose Andres’ emergency kitchen, grateful for a free lunch of egg sandwiches, quinoa bowls and tomato soup as the partial government shutdown dragged on.

“Within another two weeks, I’m going to have to figure out a way to survive,” said Wilson, 59, who is working without pay at the Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency of the District of Columbia.

The “Chefs for Feds” kitchen, launched by restaurateur Andres’ non-profit World Central Kitchen, is the latest example of how food providers across the country are stepping up efforts to feed unpaid federal workers.

About 800,000 federal workers nationwide were either furloughed or working without pay as the shutdown marked its 26th day on Wednesday. U.S. President Donald Trump and Democratic congressional leaders remained deadlocked in their dispute over Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion for a wall along the border with Mexico.

Located between the Capitol and the White House, “Chefs for Feds” will serve free meals to federal government employees in need until the government reopens.

World Central Kitchen provides food for disaster victims around the world, including victims of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

“When we have mothers, families, that they don’t know what they’re going to eat, because they are not getting a paycheck, that to me makes it a humanitarian crisis,” Andres said in a Twitter video from Puerto Rico on Wednesday.

Waiting for the kitchen to open, Rebekah, a single mother with three children who did not want to give her last name, said her missed paycheck had forced her to take out a loan, file for unemployment and contact a temp agency while she waits to return to work at the Federal Aviation Administration.

“My kids are pretty worried,” she said. “I have a 16-year-old who’s trying to work extra hours and give me his paychecks even though I reassure him we’re going to be okay.”

Capital Area Food Bank, the largest distributor of food for soup kitchens and pantries in the Washington area, handed out food to federal workers at five locations on Saturday. The crowd was almost twice what they had expected.

This Saturday, the food bank will expand the number of locations and the amount of food it distributes, said Radha Muthiah, its chief executive officer.

Ebony Grays, a single mother working without pay for the Transportation Security Administration at O’Hare International Airport, shopped for groceries this week at the Lakeview Pantry in Chicago.

She said she may cut down on how much she eats to ensure that her children have enough food.

“It doesn’t seem like the leadership of the country understands the hardships that everyday Americans go through,” Grays said in a phone interview on her way to work.

Alana Miller, whose 2-year-old daughter Elliott licked melted cheese from a sandwich at the “Chefs for Feds” opening, said she appreciated the meal after her family of five’s income was cut in half by the shutdown.

“It gives us a sense of value,” she said.

Please check the World Central Kitchen Twitter feed for more information about serving hours and and menus:

There is a second bank, actually a credit union, in the Tulsa area that will also carry their members as long as they can.  I have seen several different places announcing things like discounts for them.

My father was very proud to be an American.  He did not get mad easily, b do ut when he did - he got M.A.D.  I've been trying to imagine what he would be saying about this, it would not be pretty!

The Briefly daughter and her boyfriend are going to Seattle this weekend.  They have a very early flight on Friday, something like 5:45 a.m. They are going to get to the airport as early as then can and they hope that the early flight might make it easier to get through security.  They will be flying back on Monday, I don't remember what time but they are getting in around 9:30 or so at night.  When they made their reservations, they tried to get as much layover time as possible so that they don't miss their 2nd flight on the way home unlike last year.

I know somebody who also a Fed. While his program office has funds, the people he needs to work with are furloughed. Basically he goes into work and just sits there. 

Yea Making America Grate Again is going along quite swimmingly don't ya think?

This whole thing hurts my heart. My company has given some relief for those affected.  I just hope this is brought out in the 2020 election and he is voted out, if we cannot lock him up first. 

Expecting people to go to work when you don't pay them--there has got to be a law suit.  I googled it, and yes, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday (1/15/19) against issuing a temporary restraining order that would have allowed mission critical workers to stay home and/or force the government to pay their workers.  The judge (Richard Leon) argued that a "catastrophic" situation would result from allowing air traffic controllers, prison guards, and other mission critical employees to stay home rather than do their jobs without pay.   Even though the judge ruled against the restraining order, he hasn't ruled definitively on whether requiring federal employees to work without compensation violates labor laws or the 13th amendment against slavery.  Apparently there is another court hearing of the case on January 31. 

Spoiler

By Ann E. Marimow, Deanna Paul, Katie Zezima & Spencer S. Hsu

January 15, Washington Post

A federal judge in Washington on Tuesday refused to force the government to pay federal employees who have been working without compensation during the partial government shutdown, rejecting arguments from labor unions that unpaid work violates labor laws and the Constitution.

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon said it would be “profoundly irresponsible” for him to issue an order that would result in thousands of federal employees staying home from work and not doing their jobs.

"At best it would create chaos and confusion,” Leon said. “At worst it could be catastrophic . . . I’m not going to put people’s lives at risk.”

Leon ruled against a consolidated claim that the National Treasury Employees Union and the National Air Traffic Controllers Association filed against the government, alleging that employees should not be forced to work without pay. Unionized employees have had to work without pay during the shutdown at agencies including the Internal Revenue Service, Customs and Border Protection, the Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service, the Agriculture Department, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Federal Communications Commission. The American Federation of Government Employees also filed a separate suit against the Trump administration, alleging that employees should not be forced to work without being paid.

As an example, the unions said Tuesday after the ruling that the IRS plans to end furlough for more than half of its workforce to prepare for tax filing season, meaning as many as 46,000 IRS employees could be forced to go to work with no pay while the shutdown continues. Up to 2,200 aviation safety inspectors with the Federal Aviation Administration are expected to be recalled by the end of the week and 500 FDA workers have been recalled to work and will be unpaid until the shutdown ends, among others.

Leon ruled from the bench at the end of the hearing, declining to issue a temporary restraining order compelling the government to pay its employees. His move keeps the status quo, allowing the shutdown to continue with no end in sight. The case, however, is far from over. Leon is scheduled to hear arguments regarding the unions' separate request for a preliminary injunction against the government on Jan. 31.

“Obviously we’re disappointed that the judge was unwilling to enter the relief we requested, but he expressed a willingness to consider our arguments,” said Michael Kator, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

The 6th-floor courtroom was jammed with attorneys, union officials and furloughed government employees. Before entering the hearing, court officials asked workers to remove red pins demanding “Back Pay Now” and blue stickers with the message “RESPECT.”

Molly A. Elkin, an attorney representing the air traffic controllers union, had implored the judge to “drop your legal hammer on the defendants” and to tell the government and the president to “get their hands out of the pockets of the air traffic controllers."

Amid the partial government shutdown, Ashley Totten worries about the costs of taking care of her 3-month-old son, who suffers from a heart defect. (Drea Cornejo, Paul Raila/The Washington Post)

“We need you, judge, to give this workforce hope that at least one branch of the American government has their back,” Elkin said.

Daniel Schwei, a Justice Department attorney defending the government, acknowledged the strain on employees working without pay, but urged the judge not to insert himself in a political dispute between Congress and the president.

An order from the court, Schwei said, would prevent FBI agents, prison guards and customs inspectors from working and cause “chaos and disruption.”

Schwei himself is not being paid and is “generally on furlough status,” according to his out-of-office email message that says he “will respond as soon as possible, including after funding has been restored.”

Greg O’Duden, general counsel for the National Treasury Employees Union, which has filed two lawsuits against the government, said he had hoped Leon would rule in the unions' favor, something he said would have “put pressure on political branches to come to some resolution and end the shutdown.”

He said Leon emphasized that the court would benefit from a fuller briefing on the issues, which is expected at the Jan. 31 hearing.

The union, which represents 150,000 members at 32 federal agencies and departments, also filed a lawsuit on behalf of Customs and Border Protection officers alleging that forcing employees to work without pay violates the Fair Labor Standards Act. Among other things, the law requires that employees be paid a minimum wage and overtime. Leon also heard from the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, which filed suit against President Trump and other top officials last week. More than 24,000 Federal Aviation Administration employees are working during the partial shutdown without pay.

The union was seeking a temporary restraining order against the federal government for allegedly violating controllers’ constitutional rights under the Fifth Amendment. Those working without pay must show up because their positions are considered vital for “life and safety.” More than 17,000 others are furloughed.

“Each day, the FAA’s Air Traffic Controllers are responsible for ensuring the safe routing of tens of thousands of flights, often working lengthy, grueling overtime shifts to do so,” the lawsuit says. The job “requires such rare skills that the FAA struggles to maintain a full complement of certified Air Traffic Controllers.”

Federal workers already have suffered “immeasurable losses,” the plaintiffs alleged, including being unable to pay for medical treatment or travel to funerals for family members; some have jeopardized their security clearances by missing court-ordered alimony payments, and others have failed to make loan repayments, incurring penalties.

“Measuring the weight of these individual losses as they are multiplied across the thousands of Air Traffic Controllers represented by NATCA becomes unbearable,” NATCA attorneys wrote. “These are losses for which future monetary compensation is insufficient.”

Even as he denied the unions' request, the judge was sympathetic to the individual stories of federal workers struggling to pay for child care and household expenses during the shutdown. But Leon said he could not overstep his role as a judge to intervene in a political problem. Congress, not the judiciary, he noted, controls federal government spending.

"There is no doubt that real hardship is being felt,” Leon said. But “the judiciary is not and cannot be another source of leverage” in resolving political “squabbles."

Leon emphasized several times that both Congress and the president have said that furloughed employees and those working without pay would eventually receive paychecks.

Attorneys for the Justice Department had asked for more time — until Jan. 22, after the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday — to formally reply in writing to the lawsuits. Schwei and Adam D. Kirschner, senior trial counsel for the federal programs branch of the Justice Department’s civil division, argued to Leon that “the legislative landscape is in flux” and that the court should not step “into a budgeting dispute between the political branches.”

According to legal scholars, some of the shutdown legal arguments are novel. A lawsuit filed on behalf of two corrections officers from the Federal Bureau of Prisons, a Transportation Department air traffic control worker and a food inspector with the Agriculture Department, alleges that requiring employees to work without pay violates the 13th and Fifth amendments. The 13th Amendment, ratified after the Civil War, abolished slavery and involuntary servitude.

“They’re required to work without being paid — that is the essence of involuntary servitude,” said Kator, who is also representing plaintiffs in that lawsuit. “The government has absolutely violated famous constitutional rights.”

Kator hopes the toll the shutdown is taking on individual lives is not lost amid legal arguments.

“The real story is the effect this is having on people’s lives,” Kator said. “It is incredibly unfair that federal employees are made to bear the brunt of this. They have no say and they’re the ones who are taking the hits with some pretty dire consequences.”

Michael H. LeRoy, a professor at the University of Illinois College of Law, said meeting the definition of involuntary servitude is extremely high. But he said it is wise of lawyers to try different legal approaches, because an indefinite government shutdown is uncharted legal territory.

LeRoy said the longer the shutdown lasts, the stronger the argument that people are being harmed.

“There isn’t an endgame in sight and that gives … the plaintiffs more credibility in arguing that there are limits as to how long somebody can be ordered to work without pay,” he said.

Had the government lost Tuesday, it could have been costly.

A group of federal workers sued after the 2013 government shutdown, which lasted 16 days. They argued that failure to pay federal workers on their regularly scheduled payday violated the Fair Labor Standards Act. A court agreed, ruling that the FLSA requires on-time payment of any minimum or overtime wages earned by employees falling within its coverage. It ordered the government to pay double the amount owed them. Approximately 25,000 employees are still waiting to receive those damages.

The lawyer who won the case, Heidi Burakiewicz, filed the first lawsuit of this shutdown on Dec. 31, on behalf of the American Federation of Government Employees. It alleges that the Trump administration was illegally forcing more than 400,000 federal employees to work without pay. The two named plaintiffs, Justin Tarovisky and Grayson Sharp, are corrections officers with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The lawsuit seeks back pay.

“We want to send the message: Stop the shutdown,” Burakiewicz said. More than 5,000 people have emailed her law firm seeking to join the complaint or offering support, and she said they often hint at panic: “ ‘I’ve got 3 kids, I’ve got $200 left, and I can’t afford to keep working because I’m not getting paid.’ It breaks my heart.”

Richard Heldreth, a member of the American Federation of Government Employees, has worked in federal prisons since 1997, drawn to the work for the job security, good salary and benefits. But he and his colleagues at United States Penitentiary Hazelton in West Virginia have been working without pay since the government shut down on Dec. 22, sapping morale and leading to an uptick in violent incidents, he said.

“The biggest thing to me is these lawsuits are hopefully a deterrent to the government in the future to stop repeatedly doing this,” said Heldreth said. “Maybe they won’t use federal employees as a negotiating tool.”

Heldreth, president of the Local 420 union in West Virginia, was a plaintiff in the 2013 lawsuit. He said more than 60 employees called out sick at the prison on Saturday, exacerbating tensions among the staff and inmates, and there were four violent incidents in a four-day period. The prison is a remote maximum-security facility where three inmates, including the notorious Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger, were killed last year.

“There’s frustration because it causes division among the staff,” he said. “The ones that are going on are mad because the others called off, but the ones who called off, some of them live hours away and can’t afford the gas or child care. Some have medical issues they can’t afford right now. There’s a lot of desperation.”

Cheryl Monroe has worked as a chemist for the Food and Drug Administration for more than 30 years, eschewing a private-sector salary for government work she feels is meaningful and protects the American public. She has been out of work — and a paycheck — for more than three weeks and fully supports the National Treasury Employees Union’s lawsuit.

Monroe is president of the union’s Detroit chapter and has slept only about two hours each night, fielding calls and emails from people who are working without pay and can’t make ends meet. She believes sticking with the lawsuit is the most promising recourse.

“I believe that this administration does not pay attention unless you take them to court,” Monroe said. “There’s no talking to them. It has to be a judge or somebody else in a higher authority to snap them into reality. And so this is not a time for us to lay down and take this.”

"The shutdown is breaking government websites, one by one"

Spoiler

As the government shutdown drags on, a rising number of federal websites are falling into disrepair — making it harder for Americans to access online services and needlessly undermining their faith in the Internet’s security, experts warn.

In the past week, the number of outdated Web security certificates held by U.S. government agencies has exploded from about 80 to more than 130, according to Netcraft, an Internet security firm based in Britain.

Various online pages run by the White House, the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Archives and the Department of Agriculture appear to be affected by the latest round of expirations, Netcraft said.

The report follows revelations last week that Web pages run by NASA, the Justice Department, the federal judiciary and others have been affected by a lapse in security certification. The actual number of websites affected could be much higher than 130, said Paul Mutton, a Netcraft security consultant, as some certificates may have covered multiple pages under the same agency.

The expired certificates mean that most modern Web browsers, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, will refuse to display the pages on request — instead showing a warning message that suggests the sites may have been compromised by hackers.

In reality, nothing has happened. But security practitioners say that in another sense, that is precisely the problem.

Just as in the private sector, staffers at government agencies are responsible for periodically renewing their sites’s Web certificates, which help to guarantee a secure connection between an Internet user and a site’s server. The encryption technology behind the certificates is what allows consumers to confidently transmit their credit card information, Social Security numbers and other sensitive data across the Web without fear of the data being intercepted and read by thieves and other criminals.

The certificates are designed to expire — some as frequently as every three months — to prevent a malicious actor from obtaining them and then impersonating a legitimate site. But it is rare for an expiration to last very long. In 2015, Instagram’s security certificate expired and was renewed barely an hour later “after the whole world noticed,” Mutton said. By contrast, he said, the certificate for https://www.disasterhousing.gov, a Web page maintained by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, has been expired since Dec. 28.

Some federal agencies appear to have implemented automatic renewals so that when a certificate expires, there is no interruption, said Matthew Prince, chief executive of the Internet security firm Cloudflare. But what is becoming apparent is that for a growing number of sites, there appear to be no personnel at work to handle manual renewals.

Prince said he has personally approached the Justice Department and NASA to sign them up for Cloudflare, whose services include automatic certificate renewals. But the shutdown has prevented federal officials from accepting the offer, even when it comes to Cloudflare’s free tier of security services.

“They’ve said ‘Thanks for the offer to help, but we don’t actually have anyone who is able to sign a new contract,’" Prince said. “Even agreeing to the terms of service is a contract. So they can’t even sign up for the free version of the service that would solve this problem.”

Security experts say the issue could have unintended consequences for Internet users of all skill levels.

Those lacking much experience with the Web could be confronted by the browser warnings and conclude — mistakenly — that the federal sites truly have been compromised, said Chris Vickery, director of cyber-risk research at the security firm UpGuard.

“It’s likely to be a very big, misunderstood situation,” Vickery said. “My grandmother, she communicates with friends and gets recipes online. If she went to a government website and saw a warning saying ‘This certificate is no good, it could be a bad guy’ — she would freeze up.”

At the same time, savvier Web users may try to circumvent the messages in the knowledge that the government sites are still safe. But, Vickery said, that could lead some consumers to take such warnings less seriously on the whole, undermining the efforts of Internet companies to enhance the safety of everyone on the Internet.

Website encryption has become a standard industry practice, with more than half of all sites now offering it to Web users, according to Prince. Analysts say much of the credit goes to Google, which was among the first to begin displaying browser warnings when Chrome users visited a site without a valid security certificate.

Google has also moved to rank sites without a valid certificate lower in its search results, Prince said, a decision aimed at inoculating the Web against less-secure websites by making them harder to find.

But that decision could now work against Americans when they search Google for federal sites that bear expired Web certificates.

“If the certificates aren’t valid, then the search engines won’t trust the content anymore,” Prince said.

The guy In the tan  pants is Jimmy Hoffa Jr. I texted a friend this pic and she says with a name like Hoffa he should stay away from sports stadiums. 

4A337993-A07A-4585-BCBF-9499344EF86E.jpeg

Archived