Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
onekidanddone

Shutdown stories

Recommended Posts

onekidanddone
Posted (edited)

Two weeks and counting of no job and no paycheck.  Money is going to get tight soon.

 

ETA:  Can somebody put tags?  I still can't do that for what ever reason.  Tag suggestions:

  • Fuck That Guy
  • Shutdown 
  • Trump Shutdown
  • Fuck McTurtle
  • Wall off the White House.
Edited by onekidanddone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dizzy
Destiny

I’m so sorry. I hope for your and other federal worker’s sake it ends soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drala
Posted (edited)

image.png.5830bbd0cf5e114aec1f4f2c39f1a411.png


 

Edited by Drala
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
27 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

 

Of course they are sick. Sick and tired of being treated like crap, worked to death and not getting paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fraurosena

It is unthinkable to me, that anyone could be forced to work without pay. Isn't that the essence of slavery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBeach
25 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

It is unthinkable to me, that anyone could be forced to work without pay. Isn't that the essence of slavery? 

It's actually working for delayed pay. Those of us who are non-excepted are not guaranteed to get paid like the excepted folks are. It well and truly sucks for us all though because none of us have cash flow.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 13
  • I Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spent
unholypoledancer

I am not a government worker, however, it's getting scary. Those on food stamps might not have them if this isn't resolved soon. I can't get my tax refund early as I normally do, even if I file with no issues. 

The garbage picture is scary-I'm guessing rats and other rodents are coming out to feast on all this. How can he not see this is a major problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, unholypoledancer said:

I am not a government worker, however, it's getting scary. Those on food stamps might not have them if this isn't resolved soon. I can't get my tax refund early as I normally do, even if I file with no issues. 

The garbage picture is scary-I'm guessing rats and other rodents are coming out to feast on all this. How can he not see this is a major problem?

It isn’t a problem to him because he feeds off of other people’s misery.  I’m sure he will find a way to profit of this. 

I was thinking about the people who depend upon WIC.  How many of them are TDs and do they have a clue on how much contempt he has for them. 

How many families are going to have to go without food or prescriptions? I’m so apoplectic I don’t know even the right words

 

 

Edited by onekidanddone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
catlady
36 minutes ago, unholypoledancer said:

The garbage picture is scary-I'm guessing rats and other rodents are coming out to feast on all this. How can he not see this is a major problem?

tragically for the nation, Pouty McFuckface just doesn't care.  he's not in the park, so he's goddamn oblivious. 

Mr. CL and i stupidly let our passports expire a couple years ago.  we were going to renew them this month so that i could use mine on a work-related domestic flight at the end of March, and Mr. CL is going on a trip next year with some friends via Vancouver BC.  i can get by on my driver's license if need be, but the Mr is lucky he has so much lead time.  Naturally, if we knew the bratty two-year-old* in the White House would pull this, we certainly would not have been so lax.  

*apologies to 2yo children everywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

It's actually working for delayed pay. Those of us who are non-excepted are not guaranteed to get paid like the excepted folks are. It well and truly sucks for us all though because none of us have cash flow.

That was how it was for my dad, years ago. I only remember the government shutting down 2 or 3 times back then (he retired in the 90s), but it meant unpaid time off for him. The shutdowns didn't last that long, and we still had my mom's paycheck from teaching, but I remember how scared it made me as a kid.

Much love to all who are affected, and hopes for a quick and sane solution. :my_heart:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mamallama
43 minutes ago, catlady said:

tragically for the nation, Pouty McFuckface just doesn't care.  he's not in the park, so he's goddamn oblivious. 

Mr. CL and i stupidly let our passports expire a couple years ago.  we were going to renew them this month so that i could use mine on a work-related domestic flight at the end of March, and Mr. CL is going on a trip next year with some friends via Vancouver BC.  i can get by on my driver's license if need be, but the Mr is lucky he has so much lead time.  Naturally, if we knew the bratty two-year-old* in the White House would pull this, we certainly would not have been so lax.  

*apologies to 2yo children everywhere

While the whole thing is shitshow and my heart goes out to those suffering, my daughter was able to get an expedited passport today, no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
catlady
8 minutes ago, mamallama said:

While the whole thing is shitshow and my heart goes out to those suffering, my daughter was able to get an expedited passport today, no problem.

yes, i know this is frivolous compared to what a lot of other people are going through, but that is good to know.  the Mr is going to the post office tomorrow for forms and to inquire about what to do.  i'd be willing to pay for expedited if it's an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

That was how it was for my dad, years ago. I only remember the government shutting down 2 or 3 times back then (he retired in the 90s), but it meant unpaid time off for him. The shutdowns didn't last that long, and we still had my mom's paycheck from teaching, but I remember how scared it made me as a kid.

Much love to all who are affected, and hopes for a quick and sane solution. :my_heart:

The shutdown in 1995 happened not to long after I started my Fed job. I’d been out of work for several months, landed a job, got furloughed, then the blizzards hit. Fun times (not). 

Or did the blizzards hit before the #Gingrichshutdown? I really don’t remember. 

Edited by onekidanddone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nvmbr02

My husband is excepted so still working, which is good in the sense that we know we will eventually be paid but it is still very frustrating not knowing when. We do have savings so our situation is not nearly as dire as others who are in a much tougher situation right now. My heart is breaking for families that are struggling right now. I know we could easily be there soon enough if this drags on.

But here is my whine... We are in a temporary location. Our time here is coming to an end and it is time to find out where our next location will be. We were supposed to find out our list of possible locations on Monday but we can't since the office is closed do to the shutdown. At best we have 4 months to plan a move of over 8,000 miles but this is just cutting into the limited time that we have. I already have so much anxiety over the move in general and this is just making it that much worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace

 

  • Upvote 17
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace
Posted (edited)

Good thing stalkers are shutdown as well

Spanky did a corruption because of course he did 

 

Edited by AmazonGrace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spent
unholypoledancer
Posted (edited)

Just when you think there's no way for things to get any worse....and then you read the post above and realize shitstorm is both figurative AND literal. 

 

Edited by unholypoledancer
Needed coffee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazonGrace

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spent
unholypoledancer

So those contractors and janitors etc all work for free? With no chance to recoup lost pay?

Also: with folks losing jobs, how can they get the help they need? Unemployment would be state I believe, but there would be no money for food stamps. And of course I know people would run out and get a new job but that's not always easy these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
Posted (edited)

 

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

 

How many of these 38 million voted for Trump and after this how many of the 38 will continue to support him?  Sadly many.

Edited by onekidanddone
Cleaned up a butt load of white space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
catlady
58 minutes ago, unholypoledancer said:

And of course I know people would run out and get a new job but that's not always easy these days. 

the bolded part a hundred times over.  it's not 1965 where you could turn in a paper application, the manager reads it, and says "i like your moxie.  you can start tomorrow at 9am."  on-boarding for my company takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.  the candidate applies online, a group of applications is reviewed, the best matches are selected for an interview.  if there are a lot of qualified candidates, there will be at least one more interview.  when a position is offered, the candidate goes for drug screening*, a criminal background check is performed, and after everything comes back positive, the new hire may need to wait for the next scheduled training session to start.  granted, we are a healthcare organization, so other industries will bypass formal training periods.  then, depending on pay cycles and start dates, the first paycheck could still be 2 to 3 weeks out.   so you're right--"just getting another job" is not a realistic option for most furloughed workers.

*in my state, drug screening is pretty much universal.  last summer while i was out dog walking, i saw a young man exit the local hardware store several yards ahead of me; he was holding some papers.  he walked to the neighboring plaza and went to the store-front lab (a chain in our region that performs all manner of bloodwork and related procedures).  it was pretty obvious that he was a new hire going for screening.  and this was for a job in a local retail business that has less than a dozen locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CTRLZero

Since the historic post office tower at the Trump Hotel may be opened (emoluments!), maybe all the trash accumulating at the other parks can be transferred there for processing and pickup.   (Just my snarky thought of the morning.)

Made it through the TSA line at SeaTac just fine yesterday.  I don't know how much longer those workers can keep smiling, I see some airports have workers calling in sick.  Also, are air traffic controllers affected by the shutdown?  I don't see that ending well.

A TSA employee my husband is acquainted with unfortunately started the furlough on vacation status.  I'm not sure of all the details, but the employee was told he will not be compensated with back vacation pay, so there are some odd situations out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×