IGNORED

Trump 38: Donald Trump and the Wall of Lies

Destiny

I swear to God, Trump is such a dumbass. He has no idea what being the president involves. He didn’t want to be president for any kind of political reason, he just wanted the ultimate position of power. He cannot deal with anyone telling him no, or anyone disagreeing with him. Hillary was far from the ideal candidate, but she has years of political experience, and she has knowledge of what being president is like through being the First Lady. 

The most popular Republican in party history??? This is pure delusion. He’s an out-and-out narcissist. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Shit. SHIT SHIT SHIT.  This is one of my greatest fears that I've discussed in other posts: 

Trump May Declare National Emergency To Build Border Wall   The president says he doesn’t need congressional approval to build the wall.

But how would that work without the necessary funding? How would that work in a government shutdown? And I'm not going to go into the details of the logistics, planning, project management, or if there even is a comprehensive SOR, or heck, any necessary permits. Building that wall takes a hell of a lot more than just declaring a state of emergency and demanding it be built. You'd think a real estate mogul would be aware of such things...

That said, does declaring a state of emergency have other ramifications?  What exactly does a state of emergency entail? 

So if the two parties come to a funding agreement and go to re-open the government can Trump then continue the shutdown by veto?  As a non-US person I find the whole shutdown both fascinating and bizarre. The closest Australia has come was the blocking supply which led to The Dismissal* of government by the Governor-General  (basically the Queen's representative in Australia, although appointed by the Australian Parliament and *usually* a ceremonial role only) - this was so controversial that it is still being discussed, and it hasn't happened since (touch wood. We do *not* need to go down that path again.)  Shutdowns in US seem to be happening far more frequently, and to be getting longer - to misquote an article I read way back when the first ones started "it's supposed to be a nuclear option, the thing that is so terrible that both parties strenuously try to avoid it." It utterly amazes me that one of the world's largest governments can, in fact, be just turned off with apparently no repercussions for the politicans making the decision. How many of them missed Christmas/New Year with their families? How many of them are stressing over bills because they're not being paid? Why on earth they aren't required to come to a negiotiated position before being able to leave and without being paid - like the other essential workers - I don't know. Lock them in until they do - it works for the Vatican! Mostly it amazes me how completely cavalier they are with the incomes and lives of federal workers. 

And getting back to my original point - can they bypass Trump or can he effectively hold them hostage? Because if he can I think he will, and that is a serious problem.

*capitalized because that is how it is referred to - it really is considered that significant. Basically the Governor-General dissolved the sitting government and called new elections. 

I'm not an American citizen either, but as far as I can gather, a president has veto power over Congressional bills. When Congress's pass a bill, the legislation goes to the president to sign into law. He then has 10 days to either sign it or reject it (= veto it). In fact, Obama used his veto power four times -- and that was the fewest of any president since the mid 1800's,  G.W. Bush used his 12 times.

It's strange to me that a single person has that much power in government. Then again, it must be said that it is balanced by the oversight powers that Congress has over the presidency, and their ability to impeach and remove as deemed necessary. Alas, this power was sorely neglected up until yesterday.

I agree that in shutdown situations, especially ones that are purely partisan, or as is the case now, purely out of presiduncial spite, Congress should be mandated to remain in session until a resolution is found. If a president, such as the presidunce now, is recalcitrant and refuses to negotiate or resolve the issue, then impeachment processes must be started. Also, no member of Congress must be paid, just like all other federal employees, until the shutdown is over. I'm willing to bet that would be incentive enough for them to do their freaking jobs.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Building that wall takes a hell of a lot more than just declaring a state of emergency and demanding it be built. You'd think a real estate mogul would be aware of such things...

Exactly. Land that Bush tried to take for the wall is still tied up in court because it ends up Texans aren't too keen on the government taking their property. 

The wall will never be built even if he gets the money. He doesn't care about building a wall, he just wants to win and can't stand that he is being told no.

The congress and president should have their pay removed for the time that the government is shut down. None of them should be allowed to leave. They should have had to have missed Christmas because they were required to show up for negotiations.No holidays while the government isn't open. 

A presidential veto can be overturned by a two thirds vote in both the House and Senate. Since the houses are now closely divided between Dem. and Repub. and they tend to vote along the party lines, a two thirds vote and overturn of the veto is unlikely. Quite a few Repubs would have to cross the party lines and vote with the Dems to accomplish an overturn.

When the president vetos a bill passed by Congress, the House & Senate can override that veto by a two-thirds majority vote.  I don't think there's a two-thirds majority in the Senate right now that can override a presidential veto.  There may not be enough votes in th House, either.

The US political system is bonkers and broken on numerous levels. The fact that Trump got elected president more or less proves that point.

Our recent discussion of getting a bill through Congress is giving me childhood flashbacks:

Why would anyone blame the GOP for workers being on strike? 

This man's brain is broken

Oh, shut up! Pelosi is not going to give you that wall, no matter how many times you tweet about it.

Our esteemed president  the mango pile of shit,  told Congressional leaders Friday that he will shut down the government for 'months or even years' if he does not get money for his border wall with Mexico — and said he was 'proud' to do it because it's the right thing. 

Yes taking away federal worker's pay is the right thing to do.  Maybe there should be a freeze on his cabinet members and congressional pay until this is resolved.  Or just invoke the 25th.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, shut up! Pelosi is not going to give you that wall, no matter how many times you tweet about it.

Is he tweeting or tweaking?

58 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Is he tweeting or tweaking?

Tweaking! 

Will mention again: We might forget the shit that Trump says and think that Trump has forgotten, but Trump NEVER forgets the shit that he says.  The Wall isn't the last weird thing that Trump will bring back up and be utterly obstinate about; it's just the biggest. 

Ladies, and gentlemen, I give you.... The Certified Expert on Everything!

21 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Our recent discussion of getting a bill through Congress is giving me childhood flashbacks:

Congratulations, having watched that you now know just as much about the US government as our current president -and self-proclaimed expert on everything- did when he was elected. 

He's passed the point of being so batshit I thought the republicans with brains would turn on him several times now. It's becoming more and more clear that there's no dignity or class left in the Republican Party. I think the only way to get anything done at this point is to govern as if he's not there, but that would require a significant number of Republicans growing a spine. 

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Congratulations, having watched that you now know just as much about the US government as our current president -and self-proclaimed expert on everything- did when he was elected. 

I'd happily send Trump the entire series of SchoolHouse Rock if I thought the arrogant jackass would actually watch it. :shakehead:

Maybe he spoke to Lincoln's ghost. Maybe that's part of the devolution into insanity - Lincoln is trying to help us all by tormenting Trump from beyond the grave. Thanks Lincoln!

You know, in thinking about this further I cannot say I am surprised. Trump has a documented history of reneging on deals and failing to pay people who have worked for him. As I recall, during his campaign, it came out that there were small businesses that went out of business because Trump and hired them to do something for him and then didn't pay them. Very sadly, he's treating our government workers as more of the people he encounters in business. he claimed he was going to run the government like a business and it looks like he is. I am absolutely disgusted that he expects people to work for him for no pay.

Trump would like another monument to him. He has his "beautiful" hotels in too many countries and they say his "wonderful" name, Trump, on them. He would like to have his big, beautiful wall garishly decorated with his name all over it. A beautiful, wonder of the country, or world. What an honorable tribute to the bestest president ever! He will be lovingly remembered  forever and ever. ?

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Trump has a documented history of reneging on deals and failing to pay people who have worked for him.

I hadn't thought about the shutdown and his attitude towards workers, but you may be right.  Maybe he thinks he'll just be able to declare bankruptcy and that will be that.  I wonder if Rudy is counseling him in this? 

I'm really heartsick for everyone who is affected by this.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived