IGNORED

Lori Alexander 60: Queen of Woo

One of my nieces is heavy into woo. We meet for lunch every now and again and I'm always interested to hear what this week's cure is. Last time we met she told me about a new healer she's been seeing that had her lay on a table and clear her mind so that she could properly hear her body vibrations. At one point the healer stuck her hand in niece's mouth to touch and "listen" to her teeth. She told my niece that she should come to her before getting any more dental work because she can heal cavities. Apparently my niece's teeth told the woman that they aren't happy.

When niece's first kid was born she had no intention of vaccinating but changed her tune when no preschool would take her. I love my niece but find her belief system to be utterly ridiculous. Sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face so I usually combat the giggles by shoveling some fries in my mouth and nodding at the appropriate moments.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

This woman makes me want to scream. I have one thing I want to say about the list of things on the left..... She's right about the annual mammogram, but that's because it doesn't prevent cancer, or cause cancer. IT DETECTS CANCER. And speaking as someone who has a family history of breast cancer, I will be heading out for my mammogram as soon as I'm old enough. 

The sun protects you from cancer? In Australia we have one of the highest skin cancer (and skin cancer mortality) rates in the world. Melanoma kills more people here than any other cancer - and this info comes from a verifiable source. The dumbest kid knows to put on a hat, cover themselves in sunblock and stay out of the afternoon sun as much as possible.

It is DANGEROUS to spread this kind of misinformation. She is putting people's lives at risk by spreading this kind of rubbish.

Hey - let's all stay with our  abusers and not succumb to the knowledge of people who have studied for years about what might help our health,  and die for Jesus!  It's the highest form of Godliness, right?  Well, unless you are Lori.   Then, you know, she will just smack Ken around when he doesn't behave and head out to those heathen unknowledgeable  doctors to cure her tumors and hire herself nannies and housekeepers.   But do as she says!  Ignore the (wo)man behind the curtain!  She makes Godly bread and slimy salads - she has to be right!   

So today Lori tells her leghumpers to just ignore verbal abuse and pray.  

Ok, so a verbal abuse situation could POSSIBLY be worked out, but not without action along with prayer.  I would recommend separating and letting the abuser know you will not put up with being spoken to that way and will not be back unless they have a "rectal cranial inversion" (as our dear friend, feministxtian, says). 

Well, my friends, I just have to share that my cousin of the Lori LegHumping Club must have gotten annoyed when I posted some Anti-Lori stuff where I refuted Lori's viewpoints on FB and she has now blocked me.  I guess I've been cast in to the pit with the Jezebels.  I couldn't be in better company.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The artificial sweeteners "fool" your liver into thinking that they are regular glucose, but they're not. That causes your liver to sort of go nuts trying to squeeze glucose back out to maintain your blood sugar levels (keeping blood sugar levels stable is an intricate dance between your pancreas and your liver). I don't know how it would work with a Type 2 diabetic, since that is medication/diet controlled though. Maybe forego the Coke Zero and drink flavored waters? Talk to your endo about it. Hubs' diabetes is the same as Type 1, but it's labeled Type 3(c) since it's due to pancreatic damage/removal. He has no pancreas and no way to secrete any insulin or glucagon (glucagon gets converted into glucose to keep blood sugar levels up). So we ride an interesting rollercoaster some days. He has the pump and we have syringes with glucagon all over the place in case his blood sugar drops and he can't bring it back up by the usual means. They're also useful if, heaven forbid, he loses consciousness due to low sugar levels (hasn't happened yet).

Thanks for the explanation! I don't know if being on Metformin makes a difference with how my liver deals with sweeteners, so you're right, I should discuss this with my doctor (which I would do anyway now that I know there could be a problem--unlike Lori, I trust my doctors even though after all you and your husband have been through I'd trust YOUR advice, too!). And I should cut down my diet soda intake as well, it isn't good for me no matter what. It's just that it's my only caffeine source as I hate coffee! :tw_bawling:

ETA: and omg, I hope you NEVER have to use the glucagon syringes! :pb_eek:

39 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

So today Lori tells her leghumpers to just ignore verbal abuse and pray.  

Ok, so a verbal abuse situation could POSSIBLY be worked out, but not without action along with prayer.  I would recommend separating and letting the abuser know you will not put up with being spoken to that way and will not be back unless they have a "rectal cranial inversion" (as our dear friend, feministxtian, says). 

Well, this almost infuriates me as much as her post attributing her diagnosis of GERD to God.  Here, she's not just bad-mouthing God, but she's giving anti-biblical counsel, therefore unwise advice to women and wives regarding verbal abuse.

Verbal abuse, according to the Word (bible) is reviling:

11But now I am writing you not to associate with anyone who claims to be a brother but is sexually immoral orgreedy, an idolater or a verbal abuser, a drunkard or a swindler.With such a man do not even eat.

Strong's Concordance

loidoros: abusive, subst. railer

Original Word: λοίδορος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: loidoros
Phonetic Spelling: (loy'-dor-os)
Definition: abusive, subst. railer
Usage: a railer, reviler, abuser.

HELPS Word-studies

Cognate: 3060 loídoros – reproach (reviling); used of injuring another's reputation by denigrating, abusive insults (TDNT, 4:293). See 3058 (loidoreō).

Will someone please explain to me how a woman is supposed to EAT with her husband if he's verbally abusive when the rest of the CHURCH has been told not to even eat with such a man?

And here is more of the Word:

Evil in the Last Days
1But understand this: In the last days terrible times will come. 2For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful,arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,3unloving, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, without love of good,…Turn away from such as these!…

How is she to be with him in unity of marriage covenant when he is EVIL, according to God, and she's instructed to turn away from such as him?

And a third time, in the Word Lori claims to have read and believed:

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards,nor verbal abusers...

God's Word is ABSOLUTELY CLEAR in spelling out exactly how GOD FEELS AND THINKS about "verbal abusers" in the church.

Lori, and these false teaching authors that she uses for her blog posts, are anti-biblical (anti-christ).  

This type of unbiblical advice is DANGEROUS and bears rotten fruit.

The HOME is the "first church" - and if God said throw a man out of the church who is verbally abusive, it certainly goes wthout saying that this man also does not belong in the home, around the family (first church).

I have actually EXPERIENCED (and counseled other wives who have experienced the same) being unable to go to church, because the church threw out my husband (due to verbal abuse) but then wouldn't welcome me, because he would follow me and walk in (they were cowards who wouldn't call the authorities they told ME to call!).  This horrible teaching of "just stay and pray" for verbal abuse is EXTREMELY HARMFUL in spiritually abusive environments in fundamentalist churches.  

I'm gonna' have to go comment on that thread, I believe.

Lori Alexander would have had Ken Alexander's head on a platter if he had verbally abused her. She is such a fucking hypocrite, always encouraging women to suffer, suffer, suffer, while in her marriage only Ken suffered. Didn't Jesus suffer so we wouldn't have to? What about a marriage full of love, respect, kindness and joy? Where did she get this misguided notion that not resisting abuse will cause abusers to feel guilty? Uh, no Lori. Women are not God and can't save any damn body. If you can get the fuck out safely, do it! Fuck abuse! Fuck Lori!

I'm inclined to do the opposite of whatever "health" recommendations Lori Alexander makes. Look at her, she looks awful and doesn't seem to feel much better. She lacks the intelligence and common sense to critically evaluate woo claims, no matter how outrageous. Stupid, stupid Lori. Ken works in a science-based field. How can he tolerate her bullshit? No amount of Einkhorn bread and $14 a pound butter can cure what ails her.

I've used up my entire weekend quota of profanity.

7 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Didn't Jesus suffer so we wouldn't have to?

The Money-shot, right here.

Thank you.

Yeah, and I've also used up my weekend's worth of profanity over TTW this weekend.  I say we increase the quota.  

44 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Thanks for the explanation! I don't know if being on Metformin makes a difference with how my liver deals with sweeteners, so you're right, I should discuss this with my doctor (which I would do anyway now that I know there could be a problem--unlike Lori, I trust my doctors even though after all you and your husband have been through I'd trust YOUR advice, too!). And I should cut down my diet soda intake as well, it isn't good for me no matter what. It's just that it's my only caffeine source as I hate coffee! :tw_bawling:

Type 2 diabetes makes your body cells take less and less on the sugar from your blood, so that you became hyperglycamic. Metformin inhibits the Gluconeogenesis, the production of glucose in your liver, so that your body takes it from the sugar in your bloodstream. Talking with your doc about this is a good idea, but also the cut down on diet soda, that stuff is really crap for a body. Maybe it will help when you switch to regular coke, but only a can a day and mix it with sparkling water, to last it longer. So you don't have to quit cold turkey.

Anyone else think it's weird that Lori just happened to use the same book @Koala pointed out a few days ago right here? Totally random and coincidental, I'm sure!

Hi Lori!

25 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

Type 2 diabetes makes your body cells take less and less on the sugar from your blood, so that you became hyperglycamic. Metformin inhibits the Gluconeogenesis, the production of glucose in your liver, so that your body takes it from the sugar in your bloodstream. Talking with your doc about this is a good idea, but also the cut down on diet soda, that stuff is really crap for a body. Maybe it will help when you switch to regular coke, but only a can a day and mix it with sparkling water, to last it longer. So you don't have to quit cold turkey.

Thanks for explaining the way metformin works in a way I can totally understand. I do research my meds before I take them, but I have zero background in science, so I sometimes get lost in all the technical verbiage. LOL. And I like the sparkling water idea to stretch out my regular Coke. I just cannot bring myself to give up Coke altogether, I'm hopelessly addicted, whether it's diet or regular. I need to try feministxtian's flavored water idea, too. Not to mention just drink more plain old regular water! Well, the new year is almost here--time for a few  good resolutions! :pb_smile:

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

There’s always regular old caffeine tablets, though, if you want to make a change. Caffeine doesn’t need to come dissolved in beverage to do its magic.

38 minutes ago, Pammy said:

There’s always regular old caffeine tablets, though, if you want to make a change. Caffeine doesn’t need to come dissolved in beverage to do its magic.

True, but... but... ice cold, crispy, fresh Coca Cola!! :coke:  LOL

2 hours ago, PinkPrincess0213 said:

yone else think it's weird that Lori just happened to use the same book @Koala pointed out a few days ago right here? Totally random and coincidental, I'm sure!

Not to mention we were all discussing how she couldnt be bothered to put up a Christmas tree and by her IG post it appears she put up a small one.  Coincidence?

4 hours ago, Loveday said:

I am right there with you.  In fact, I could have written it.  

I am a type 2 diabetic, and a Diet-Pepsi-holic.  I have cut my diet so drastically it's not even funny, and for right now I don't consume more that 800 calories a day (<---PLEASE , no one try that without consulting your doctor first!!!!!).  I've lost almost 50 lbs. in less that 4 months (<---PLEASE , no one try that without consulting your doctor first!!!!!), feel better than I've felt in years, and my blood sugar levels hover in the eighties (going as low as 76), and never get above 110, even after I eat.   

In the year before my diagnosis, I literally couldn't stay awake, so this is a HUGE improvement.  

Anyway, the ONE thing I haven't been able to give up, is my Diet Pepsi.  The doctor seemed okay with that, but now I am wondering if it will interfere with my Metformin.  They started me out w/ 1000 mgs. (w/ the goal of working up to 2000 within a week), but it made me dog sick, so they had to introduce it more gradually.  By the time I worked my way up, my blood sugar was so low she said not to go above 1000.  Then it dropped even more, so she put me on 1/4 a dose (500 mgs.) per day.  She said that the first time it goes below 70, I am off the meds.  I feel pretty uneasy at 76, so I am thinking below 70 should be a trip. :pb_confused:

Anyway, I know exactly how you feel.  You have to give up so much, and you just want to keep one little thing that makes you feel normal...or at least that's how it is for me.

In the previous topic, we were discussing vaccinations and flu shots.  I referenced the reaction I get to the flu shot.  I forgot to mention that my reaction is probably part of my version of the so-called Redhead Curse.  I have a lot of issues with various medications not working like they should or not working at all, and that is definitely related to my wonderful red hair genes.

My dad had skin cancer, I think it was probably in the 1970's or early 80's when he first started having to go to the dr and get "spots" as he called them removed.  He became convinced very quickly of the value of sunscreen and he made sure we used them as well.  It was very probably related to over-exposure to the sun and his redhead complexion.  At the time, my memory is that people were just becoming aware of skin cancer being widespread and how bad it could be.  No Lori, sunscreen is not going to cause cancer - there have been some issues with some of the ingredients in earlier formulas, but sunscreen is designed to prevent it, not cause it!  Same thing with mammograms - they are to detect any issues and they do not cause it.

@Koala what is your morning (fasting) blood glucose level? Metformin having that effect on you (of driving your blood sugar level that far down) makes me think that maybe you should discuss this with an endocrinologist instead of a regular PCP. 

Normal blood glucose levels are 80-120. True hypoglycemia is anything below 70 and hyper is over 200 (doctors tend not to get excited over anything under 200). 

Just putting my $0.02 in here. 

@Koala, I'm in awe of your weight loss and your blood sugar numbers. :bow-yellow:

I haven't seen low bs numbers (under, say, 120) in quite awhile, but that's my fault. I'm not watching my diet as carefully as I should be. And I have the dreaded dawn phenomenon; my fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning is always around 140-160, no matter what I do. But thanks to the metformin and a lot of moving around (not formal exercise, just general daily activity), I've been able to keep that A1c under 7. I do need to lose about 25 pounds, though, which will make a big difference in my numbers and in how I feel. It always amazes me how much better I feel when I lose just three or four pounds--I can't even imagine how I'll feel with 25 pounds off! 

Regarding the metformin--when I first started on it, it tore my guts up. I started out at 500 mg twice a day, then 1000, and I planned my life around the bathroom. Then my doc suggested  a switch to the timed release version--750 mg twice a day. I still have a bit of gut trouble, but NOTHING like before. Did your doctor ever bring that up with you? Sounds like the point is moot now, though, you're almost off of it for good! :clap:

31 minutes ago, Koala said:

Anyway, I know exactly how you feel.  You have to give up so much, and you just want to keep one little thing that makes you feel normal...or at least that's how it is for me.

Exactly. Just...exactly. I know I can give up or severely cut back on all the other stuff, but that one bottle of Coke Zero a day? Noooooooo!!!11!!

5 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Metformin gives me horrible diarrhea, apparently that is a common side effect. My dosage was halved.

Yep. Although my mother is on 500mg twice a day and hasn't had a bit of trouble with it. For which I'm grateful, as she's got a lot of other health issues to deal with and doesn't need that one!

@AlwaysDiscerning, that is very well done. I so appreciate how well written it is.

Lori's idea of "love" never failing is actually a TOTAL FAIL, because it appears she doesn't understand the love of God:

God LOVES to protect.

In fact, it is written, Love ALWAYS protects.

For the woman who is looking to "love" with the love of God in an abusive marriage or relationship, the love she loves with is not simply silently bearing the sin of the partner's abuse.  IT IS, however, loving her neighbor AS HERSELF.  So, if she were being an abusive asshole, to her own flesh and children, to her own household, would she WANT someone to LOVE her enough to STOP HER by separating themselves from her?

THAT is the love of God in operation in an abusive situation.  Not this pansy "love" that just puts up with the very thing the rest of the Bible tells us to flee from when people do it!

READ THE WHOLE BIBLE, LORI.

4 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Tried to read the article but it kept redirecting to sketchy looking web pages. Like, I won a lucky Walmart something (that was one of apparently innumerable pages). So I ended up x-ing out without reading.

Since my dad’s kidney transplant, his diet has changed a bit. He can now eat much more cheese and yogurt than he used to be able to, but he has to be careful of phosphates (found in foods like tomatoes). He also has to be vigilant about things like food poisoning, which would be dangerous because of dehydration (since the kidneys are all to do with filtering blood and urine etc). So he can’t eat blue cheese, anything unpasteurised, no rare meats/pâté, no bagged salad, everything has to be thoroughly cooked etc. The only thing that hasn’t really changed is being mindful of salt. Salt fucks with blood pressure if you have too much, and high blood pressure is what fucked his kidneys over in the first place. We also haven’t eaten out since the operation; funnily enough, the night he got the call, we’d just eaten out at an Italian place. On Tuesday we’re going to my grandparents’ for our annual New Year’s Day thing and it’ll be the first time he’s eaten somewhere other than our house for three months. 

Oh, and Lori? Abusers do not care about love. They wouldn’t know love if it danced in front of them naked. All they care about is themselves. Two women a WEEK are killed by current or former partners (UK stats). That’s 104 a year. Your advice is fucking dangerous and could get someone killed.

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

They're also useful if, heaven forbid, he loses consciousness due to low sugar levels (hasn't happened yet).

This happened to my SO three times within the first year of his diagnosis (all three times I was the only one around), and we had no glucagon injections because he had never been given or prescribed them. I had to call 911 (or 112 for us) all three times and we didn't even know glucagon pens existed until the third time when the paramedic arrived and asked us why we didn't have any glucagon pens on hand for emergencies like this. And I was like, glucagon pen? Never heard of that before. The paramedic told us to immediately make an appointment with his doctor and ask for a glucagon prescription, which we did. His doctor then had the nerve to tell us we should have come to her sooner to ask for it, but how can you ask about something you don't even know exists? 
Thankfully he did receive more guidance and help from the hospital after that, and I haven't had to use a glucagon pen on him so far and I really hope I will never have to. The thought and possibility of it ever being necessary gives me a lot of anxiety though :( 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived