IGNORED

Things Fundies Like

Black Aliss

I have several family members near DC. A few have promised to sneak in their t-rex costumes if they ever get free/discounted tickets to the Museum of the Bible.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

I have several family members near DC. A few have promised to sneak in their t-rex costumes if they ever get free/discounted tickets to the Museum of the Bible.

I'd rather do that at the creation museum or the ark experience

I'm guessing that fundies' fascination with essential oils would put these two places pretty high on their bucket lists:

Young Living in Mona, Utah 

doTERRA in Pleasant Grove, Utah

On 12/28/2018 at 11:38 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

I think Branson, MO in general attracts a lot of fundies. Who can forget the now-defunct Dixie Stampede? And Sight and Sound Theatre, where Jim Bob scared the crap out of Jordyn (Jenny?) on purpose. There's also a Creation/Bible Museum, which hilariously only offers a "statement of faith" when you click on the "history" tab. 

https://creationexperiencemuseum.com/

I regret to inform you that the Dixie Stampede is not defunct. Last year the word "dixie" was removed from the title, and it is now known as "Dolly Parton's Stampede." Because removing a word from the front of the building means that the North-South rivalry storyline occurring during the show is totes ok and non-racist now.  *rolls eyes*

I've been to the show. It is...cringeworthy. But around these parts, if you point out the careless racism, you're shouted down as being too politically correct. 

You are however completely correct in observing that Branson attracts fundies. By the thousands!

13 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

I've been to the show. It is...cringeworthy.

It is so awful. I know Dolly is very beloved but this shit is straight up racist and white washing of history. How is it even still a thing?!  For those who haven't seen it, the South can win the Civil war at the end of the meal!

I have heard that they are trying to change it to make it less offensive but as long as they keep the North/South/Good Old Days theme it isn't going to be okay. 

59 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It is so awful. I know Dolly is very beloved but this shit is straight up racist and white washing of history. How is it even still a thing?!  For those who haven't seen it, the South can win the Civil war at the end of the meal!

I have heard that they are trying to change it to make it less offensive but as long as they keep the North/South/Good Old Days theme it isn't going to be okay. 

Yes, as long as they keep the North/South thing going, it will be racist. 

Branson is an odd town, and heavily based on white Protestant tourism. The fact that the Stampede brings in hundreds of tourists every day is a sad commentary on this area and the people attracted to this area. I'd be relieved if it was changed to a Medieval Times theme or something. 

57 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Branson is an odd town, and heavily based on white Protestant tourism. The fact that the Stampede brings in hundreds of tourists every day is a sad commentary on this area and the people attracted to this area. I'd be relieved if it was changed to a Medieval Times theme or something. 

We saw it in Pigeon Forge. We got tickets as part of a packaged deal and thought it was some sort of horse show. :laughing-jumpingpurple: We were confused at the lack of utensils and by the time we got into the middle of it my husband had leaned over to ask what the hell we had gotten into! I kept hoping it would get better but in the end the South won the Civil war and we were both WTF?! It made me view Dolly in a different light. 

Dolly should change both venues to some variation of her Celebration Show(the new one that is like a circus) or her Pirate show, both are really cool and aren't racist. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

We saw it in Pigeon Forge. We got tickets as part of a packaged deal and thought it was some sort of horse show. :laughing-jumpingpurple: 

OMG, it's not??? 

I've heard of this show for years and always assumed horses were involved somehow. Thanks for the heads up about the North vs. South bit.  I have relatives who are constantly trying to get us to go to Branson and Pigeon Forge. If they ever succeed, I'll be skipping this. 

I was curious about this Stampede. 

It’s horrifying that of the 71 horrible reviews on TripAdvisor, only a handful address the Civil War stuff. 

This writer visited, wrote a scathing review, then updated after they made changes.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/a-visitor-describes-how-dolly-partons-stampede-ditched-the-civil-war-theme.html

11 hours ago, Evangeline said:

I've heard of this show for years and always assumed horses were involved somehow.

There are horses being ridden by people dressed as Confederate and Union soldiers! Except it seems now the new improved version is just North vs. South. Like that is better somehow. There is no saving the Stampede as long as the theme is Southern history. 

11 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I was curious about this Stampede. 

It’s horrifying that of the 71 horrible reviews on TripAdvisor, only a handful address the Civil War stuff. 

This writer visited, wrote a scathing review, then updated after they made changes.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/a-visitor-describes-how-dolly-partons-stampede-ditched-the-civil-war-theme.html

Interesting. I haven't been in years. I'd be happier if they did away with North/South completely! 

Now I'm debating if I should go for research purposes?

Making it North/South is still saying that this is about the Civil War. They are just trying to be more subtle about it.

26 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Making it North/South is still saying that this is about the Civil War. They are just trying to be more subtle about it.

I read that they switched colors. Lol. Ok guys. You fooled us! 

I have someone on my FB feed who obsesses about this stuff.  Yesterday, she posted “How can a statue which has been there for 100 years suddenly be offensive and a man walking down the street showing his ass not be?”(One of her favorite topics is “Should towns ban saggy pants?”)

20 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I have someone on my FB feed who obsesses about this stuff.  Yesterday, she posted “How can a statue which has been there for 100 years suddenly be offensive and a man walking down the street showing his ass not be?”(One of her favorite topics is “Should towns ban saggy pants?”)

I don’t understand why people are so pissed about underwear. It’s not a full ass hanging out. It’s underwear. And it’s usually boxers. Which are not see through and almost as thick as some other shorts. So what’s the big deal? I’ve seen a lot of actual ASS hanging out when older overweight men bend over. It’s part of how their body is shaped and how jeans fit that make it a common occurrence. Why aren’t people complaining about that? Oh that’s right. Because most of the males with sagging pants are black and these people are racists. 

44 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Tell her the statue has actually been offensive for 100 years, and people are finally figuring it out. And that you can't ban asses because we have one for a president. :my_biggrin:

@formergothardite i agree. It looked vastly improved. But, in present times. Not Good Enough. I think that was the writer’s conclusion as well. Because all those morons who go just don’t get it.

Most of the reviews I read that acknowledged the bad stuff were specific. All pointed out the whiteness. One said that when they had to do the North v. South cheering there was an eldery black lady in the audience who was crying. I don’t know if that was a more recent one or an older version.

So that’s the thing. How can you tone down history to make anything other than other than what it was? Red v. blue today. North v. South yesterday. Nothing purties up ugly.

The New York Times published an op-ed by Katherine Stewart explaining white evangelicals support of Trump. Someone posted about it on Daily Kos and singled out this paragraph.

”This isn’t the religious right we thought we knew.  The Christian nationalist movement today is authoritarian, paranoid and patriarchal at its core.  They aren’t fighting a culture war.  They’re making a direct attack on democracy itself.”

i believe this to be true.

Things fundies like: oppressing minorities, telling everyone they’re going to hell, the patriarchy, racism, homophobia, child abuse...

Oh wait, we’re talking about places they like to visit, my bad.

Ah, good ol' Dixie Stampede! I know families who went every year, sometimes twice a year. They'd go to the one in Myrtle Beach (now pirate themed, I think) during their summer vacation, and then to the one in Pigeon Forge on the annual fall pilgrimage to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.  I've never been, because I hate fried chicken and also the thought of eating in a venue where horses are pooping & kicking up dust while I eat. The whole concept just seemed ridiculous. Also, my ex was too cheap to go.
You got a free plastic cowboy boot souvenir cup. One of my friends had dozens of those things & gave some to my kids.
My kids' dad dragged me to Christus  Gardens (the religious wax museum in Gatlinburg that's either gone or called something else now) on our honeymoon. I thought it was hilariously cheesy, but he was "moved to tears" and bought postcards of all the scenes. I should have known then that marriage was doomed! 

13 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I have never understood that hype. 

Me neither! I imagine it as a big, kitschy, overpriced home-goods store, no?

On 1/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, Lisafer said:

I regret to inform you that the Dixie Stampede is not defunct. Last year the word "dixie" was removed from the title, and it is now known as "Dolly Parton's Stampede." Because removing a word from the front of the building means that the North-South rivalry storyline occurring during the show is totes ok and non-racist now.  *rolls eyes*

I've been to the show. It is...cringeworthy. But around these parts, if you point out the careless racism, you're shouted down as being too politically correct. 

You are however completely correct in observing that Branson attracts fundies. By the thousands!

Oh geez. I saw that they'd changed the name and I asked my brother if it was still a racist mess and he said "no." Which brings up a whole different issue. Sorry about my bad intel, guys. 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:49 PM, FeministShrew said:

also the thought of eating in a venue where horses are pooping & kicking up dust while I eat. 

This was basically my childhood, in a nutshell.

Archived