IGNORED

Things Fundies Like

Black Aliss

22 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

In Tulsa one can visit Oral Roberts University. (I did this with my ex. He looked up Tulsa and when we visited my family - he took me sightseeing.) It has interesting architecture. Please don’t visit the website. It has a disturbing tribute to “slain” alumnus John Chau. 

The architecture is very interesting! I went there 4 summers ago by happenstance, and there were many a photo of me posing by the structures on my old Instagram ? I was obsessed by the neo-70s vibes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Tulsa one can visit Oral Roberts University. (I did this with my ex. He looked up Tulsa and when we visited my family - he took me sightseeing.) It has interesting architecture. Please don’t visit the website. It has a disturbing tribute to “slain” alumnus John Chau. 

Oh my god. I didn't know he was an alumnus.... I probably knew him. I was in the missions program at the same time. According to what they taught us, I am completely unsurprised that he behaved as irresponsibly and abominably as he did. That missions program is one of the reasons (among many) I am no longer a believer. It was dominionistic and disrespectful and I hate what I did while I participated. [emoji40][emoji40][emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]

59 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

Oh my god. I didn't know he was an alumnus.... I probably knew him. I was in the missions program at the same time. According to what they taught us, I am completely unsurprised that he behaved as irresponsibly and abominably as he did. That missions program is one of the reasons (among many) I am no longer a believer. It was dominionistic and disrespectful and I hate what I did while I participated. emoji40.pngemoji40.pngemoji40.pngemoji40.pngemoji40.png

His story was big news here in the Tulsa because he went to ORU.  ORU has had a number of bad press incidents, and I don't think a whole lot of people realize how screwed up that school is.  When my daughter was still in high school, I told her flat-out that we would pay for her education but not one cent would ever go to that school - I knew she had no interest in ORU anyway.

His story was big news here in the Tulsa because he went to ORU.  ORU has had a number of bad press incidents, and I don't think a whole lot of people realize how screwed up that school is.  When my daughter was still in high school, I told her flat-out that we would pay for her education but not one cent would ever go to that school - I knew she had no interest in ORU anyway.

ORU has inexplicably survived many scandals. The Green family is largely responsible for its continuation into this decade, as[mention=11620]formergothardite[/mention] might be interested in adding to her list of questionable organizations they have contributed to.

The school was oppressive and closeminded and greedy and spiritually abusive and whitewashed its own history as an organization, but the specific program I was in was led by people who were progressive and accepting and changed my mind about what Christianity could and should be. That experience led me into choosing not to be a Christian, ironically.

I applaud you setting that boundary for your daughter. I don't think any more money should go to the organization.

ETA The honor code we signed each year was a large source of the oppression. It includes a point about not being homosexual or participating in homosexual acts, among other things. Students who refused to sign the honor code were called into the Dean's office to 'discuss' it.

The church/statue is on I-75 in southern Ohio north of Cincinnati.  It was the subject of a song by Heywood Banks in 2017, here's the video.  We drive thought there at least once a year and always have to sing the song as we go by:    https://youtu.be/6Mf2u9VWAhM

3 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

ORU has inexplicably survived many scandals. The Green family is largely responsible for its continuation into this decade, as[mention=11620]formergothardite[/mention] might be interested in adding to her list of questionable organizations they have contributed to.

The school was oppressive and closeminded and greedy and spiritually abusive and whitewashed its own history as an organization, but the specific program I was in was led by people who were progressive and accepting and changed my mind about what Christianity could and should be. That experience led me into choosing not to be a Christian, ironically.

I applaud you setting that boundary for your daughter. I don't think any more money should go to the organization.

ETA The honor code we signed each year was a large source of the oppression. It includes a point about not being homosexual or participating in homosexual acts, among other things. Students who refused to sign the honor code were called into the Dean's office to 'discuss' it.

When the Green family stepped in, it was a huge mess.  I was not alone in expecting ORU to actually fail and close.  There were so many students who would have had to figure out where to go and would have had a problem when it came to student loans, etc.

I never expected my daughter to want to go there, but I was serious about no $ of mine ever going there.

The Green family has it own issues, the mess with the stolen artifacts gets worse every time there is news about it.  I am firmly convinced that Mark Green (I think his name is Mark)  knew the items could be stolen and did not care because in his mind, he deserves them.  The last thing I heard about the stolen items is that they are most likely fake (and I do not feel sorry for him if they were fake) and also that there is some evidence that they were not for the museum but were either for his personal collection and that there was some possibility that they were going to be sold again and illegally.  

When the Green family stepped in, it was a huge mess.  I was not alone in expecting ORU to actually fail and close.  There were so many students who would have had to figure out where to go and would have had a problem when it came to student loans, etc.
I never expected my daughter to want to go there, but I was serious about no $ of mine ever going there.
The Green family has it own issues, the mess with the stolen artifacts gets worse every time there is news about it.  I am firmly convinced that Mark Green (I think his name is Mark)  knew the items could be stolen and did not care because in his mind, he deserves them.  The last thing I heard about the stolen items is that they are most likely fake (and I do not feel sorry for him if they were fake) and also that there is some evidence that they were not for the museum but were either for his personal collection and that there was some possibility that they were going to be sold again and illegally.  

His name is Mart Green. I don't know much about the stolen goods, maybe someone else could confirm or deny information. I was at ORU during the huge mess and just about everybody expected it to fail and close. I couldn't get behind Roberta Roberts preaching her dad's goodness in chapel while ostracizing her gay son. That whole family is brainwashed with its own importance. Not surprising considering Oral's personality issues and need to seem like the closest to g-d.

I may be off base (this is just a stab in the dark), but was John D. McDonald’s One More Sunday inspired by the Roberts family? Or was it some other evangelistic empire-builder? Anyone know?

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

The Green family has it own issues,

The Green family and their money are everywhere!  Show them a sick and corrupt "Christian" cause and they will chuck money at it.  They supported Gothard and bought Big Sandy for him too,

http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2013/10/hobby-lobby-deep-pockets.html

53 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

His name is Mart Green. I don't know much about the stolen goods, maybe someone else could confirm or deny information.

I'd say definitely complicit and knowingly buying looted artifacts and illegally smuggling them into the US.  Possibly supporting ISIS with the illegal purchases too.

And they were forced to return the artifacts and paid a mere 3 million as fines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/nyregion/hobby-lobby-artifacts-smuggle-iraq.html

I may be off base (this is just a stab in the dark), but was John D. McDonald’s One More Sunday inspired by the Roberts family? Or was it some other evangelistic empire-builder? Anyone know?
No idea, but I'll check it out.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:01 AM, mango_fandango said:

Omg I remember reading about Butter Jesus somewhere!! No idea where though. Maybe here, IDK.

Not Butter Jesus - IT’S TOUCHDOWN JESUS! Get your Jesuses straight!  

I’m trying to explain to “Not Mr. Alice” (who is Canadian) some of the screwed up ways of the United States. He is what I would describe as purple. We generally agree. But then he says something like, it just shouldn’t be that way (frequently regarding religion) 

Oral Roberts University. This is a fabulous example of what we are doing wrong, that just isn’t and wouldn’t and couldn’t go wrong anywhere else. It is a classic example of the US problem. It bred John Chau.

You have to see middle America. You have to then go to to left America or upper right America to see what the fuck is going on here. It is completely ridiculous and hard to explain sometimes. But yes, it is happening. Slowly, quickly...but happening.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:41 PM, Palimpsest said:

Well, there is the Museum of the Bible.  I hear it has a good gift shop.  But "not enough Jesus."

Butter Jesus was struck by lightening.  God was sending a message.

Reveal hidden contents

butter-jesus-statue-lightning-584+(1).jp

But they didn't take the hint and rebuilt Him.

Reveal hidden contents

Jesus-Statue-Return.jpg

Oh yeah, that thing! We used to call it the Touchdown Jesus. It didn't burn down until after we moved to another state, but @zeebaneighba and I had a good laugh. Sadly the new one isn't nearly as goofy looking. 

2 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

We used to pass it driving from Westerville Ohio to King’s Dominion.  I thought it was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen. 

It is incredibly bizarre the first time you see it. You’re just driving along in the middle of nowhere Ohio. And suddenly you see something strange in the distance. As you get closer you realize it’s a man, no it’s Jesus! His enormous and made out of what looks like butter! You wonder if you’ve fallen asleep in the car and this is all just a weird dream. Nope! It’s real. That’s when you realize just how fucking odd the US really is. 

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It is incredibly bizarre the first time you see it. You’re just driving along in the middle of nowhere Ohio. And suddenly you see something strange in the distance. As you get closer you realize it’s a man, no it’s Jesus! His enormous and made out of what looks like butter! You wonder if you’ve fallen asleep in the car and this is all just a weird dream. Nope! It’s real. That’s when you realize just how fucking odd the US really is. 

To be fair, there's not much ELSE to look at in the area. Maybe they thought they were doing a public service? :pb_lol:

18 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

he Green family and their money are everywhere!  Show them a sick and corrupt "Christian" cause and they will chuck money at it. 

The Green family seems to be corrupt to the core. Give them an evil organization that oppresses people for Jesus and they will try to keep it going. They lie, steal and don't give one shit who they hurt. They are bad, bad people, but so many Christians adore them because they close on Sunday and have "Christian" values. 

My family drove from Ontario to Florida about 15 years ago. It was an eye-opening experience. So much Jesus stuff, everywhere. Billboards, giant crosses, big clocks with the hands pointed to right before midnight, telling you to look sharp because Jesus is coming SOON. It was over the Easter weekend and the hotel we stayed at in Georgia had a Bible verse about Christ dying for our sins and rising on the third day on their sign. All the shops were open, though.

We also got evangelized to at a rest stop in Florida by a guy who asked if we had any tylenol because his wife had a bad headache. He was actually really nice and I've always found it funny. My mum gave him a tylenol and he was like, "Thank you! God bless you! You folks are going to heaven!" My mum kind of laughed and said, "Oh yeah, if only it were that easy!" And he earnestly replied, "Well it is!"

4 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

Oh yeah, that thing! We used to call it the Touchdown Jesus. It didn't burn down until after we moved to another state, but @zeebaneighba and I had a good laugh. Sadly the new one isn't nearly as goofy looking. 

I always thought of it as Quicksand Jesus because it looked like it was sinking into the ground.

I’ve read that the new statue is nicknamed “Five Dollar Footlong Jesus.” :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

The Green family seems to be corrupt to the core. Give them an evil organization that oppresses people for Jesus and they will try to keep it going. They lie, steal and don't give one shit who they hurt. They are bad, bad people, but so many Christians adore them because they close on Sunday and have "Christian" values. 

I am really torn about whether or not I want to continue to shop at Hobby Lobby. They have a particular store brand yarn that I really like, but they have so many policies that I am really having trouble with.  I have always had issues with their policies, but until recently I didn't realize that some of the rumors about employee agreements, etc., may be true.  I have no   problem with them being closed on Sunday, that is their choice. But there are other issues.  My daughter said that she's feeling the same way I am.  Ultimately, we will both figure out what we want to do but I'm thinking I may decide not to shop there anymore.  However, they do employee a lot of people and they are the ones who get hurt when stores have to reduce staff or close.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:53 PM, Briefly said:

I am really torn about whether or not I want to continue to shop at Hobby Lobby. They have a particular store brand yarn that I really like, but they have so many policies that I am really having trouble with.  I have always had issues with their policies, but until recently I didn't realize that some of the rumors about employee agreements, etc., may be true.  I have no   problem with them being closed on Sunday, that is their choice. But there are other issues.  My daughter said that she's feeling the same way I am.  Ultimately, we will both figure out what we want to do but I'm thinking I may decide not to shop there anymore.  However, they do employee a lot of people and they are the ones who get hurt when stores have to reduce staff or close.

Could you buy the yarn from the company directly? Another option is to buy the yarn there, and everything else at another store more aligned with your values.

Regarding Touchdown Jesus, my favorite memes over the years having lived by there... (Including pictures of the fire, the extra-creepy framing, and the too-many-fishes-and-loaves-Jesus that followed...)

image.png.0df93cceb54045770ad4e6195d949f7c.png

Spoiler

image.png.68c5e3a558fc957b9b4d6c3a3374ed5a.png

image.png.0677dec1b8591709c9497125485858ae.png

image.png.815b78dff2ed0ae9ff58cd693aa80945.png

image.png.8e208d92186dce857e87c225a98aa29b.png

image.png.9be82631e6f38517d0ec723785fb4f57.png

image.png.9ca869a5a974ed636c3b5edbf7467e4b.png

image.png.0da3568acd04eecfe61ac37623fbd9d1.png

image.png.2199e0737814885a2d7d85d2b62beaf1.png

oh, and the in-the-process building-of, which is just as creepy. Like, they left him like that for months and months and months.

Spoiler

image.png

image.png.127cc15d5fab0142c3879a37acfe978d.png

That church was very beautiful: Mediterranean architecture, reflection pools...and then they lined it all in neon, and Touchdown Jesus happened, and then the super shady fire happened, and then ugly chubby Jesus happened.

There is so much beautiful art that demonstrates some of the divinity and sheer magic of Christianity...this stuff is...laughable.

9 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

Could you buy the yarn from the company directly? Another option is to buy the yarn there, and everything else at another store more aligned with your values.

It's a brand that they license, it's called I Love This Yarn and it is very soft but good yarn.  But there are other companies that now make similar, so I may not actually have to go to HL for good quality, inexpensive yarn.

6 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

@FilleMondaine, that picture of him holding Skyline or Gold Star (Cincinnati style chili) is killing me! It has been forever since I've had Skyline!

I detest Skyline! I swear it’s just one of those things you either love or hate. 

Archived