IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 5: She is a shit writer!

HerNameIsBuffy

53 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I would have never thought someone could create an entire church around this.

I shouldn't be surprised at anything, having read the threads at FJ for a couple years now, but isn't this a crazy cult?  When I'm in Nashville, I have mentioned the cult of growling hunger to a few people and they find it pretty unbelievable, too.  I wonder how many people are actually involved in Remnant.  I assume the Brentwood facility is its only church building?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am even more surprised that the main stream media has not covered RF more. They only covered her fall from grace after her backlash from preaching against the Trinity.

Given the media interest Josh Duggar & Gothardism, Scientology, Latter Day Saint Mormonism, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, I feel like it will only be a matter of time before the media talks to an ex RF member.

I find the diet pills comment interesting. I wonder how many remnant members secretly take diet pills to keep up with the jonses. 

10 minutes ago, artdecades said:

I find the diet pills comment interesting. I wonder how many remnant members secretly take diet pills to keep up with the jonses. 

I don’t know what she meant by buffering hunger. I think she meant to say that people overeat to avoid the true hunger pangs or attempt to undereat by taking diet pills to dull the hunger pangs.

The only thing that has ever dulled my hunger pangs were ADHD stimulant medications. 

I couldn’t imagine having to live up to the expectations and feel like everyone would be gossiping & gawking about my weight, whether I’ve gained any pounds etc. How toxic. 

I wonder if any RF members feel that the only way to keep their weight in check is through public accountability via church each week and risk public humiliation (if they gained weight)? Abbie (MisforMama thread) has confessed to being hard on herself about weight and as a result, being gym instructor because it serves as an external motivator for keeping her weight in check.

10 hours ago, formergothardite said:

If doing what is best for me is following Satan, then so be it! He seems to be a bit nicer than Gwen's god. 

He gave me dinner when I got home, which took away my headache.

Gwen's never given me anything.

12 hours ago, artdecades said:

It's almost like she is calling specific people out and scolding them about taking the diet pills. But everyone there knows who it is so it's kind of like public shame without naming names. Or the leadership knows and so now everyone not in the loop is going around asking "who is taking the pills"? LOL

20 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Question for the former RF folks- the cafe - did the workers keep track of or judge your calories? Do people even use the cafe? Is it open every day to everyone, including the public? 

I’ll provide an answer as well as additional information and my personal opinion in regards to Connection Cafe. I’ll also provide my observations on how that particular restaurant and RF links to the more public extension of RF’s culinary reach, City Cafe. Despite City Cafe being privately owned it clearly has strong ties and shares the same agendas as RF. See the post below for my take on it and the 3rd RF related thread for more details:

“Connection Cafe” was private and exclusive to RF members around the time we left, however I believe it is still relatively private (with the exception of visitors with RF ties) till this day. I would be surprised if Connection Cafe were to ever go public, especially in light of what has been occurring with Gwen and the church’s reputation being placed under a microscope (here, internally and other external sources). Logically, there isn’t really a need to un-privatize Connection Cafe seeing as they have City Cafe to be used as a “hey look world we aren’t so crazy” social front. Speaking on City Cafe...

In my experience and observations, City Cafe was/is used to mix local non-RF and RF members in a public setting with hopes that the local populace would see RF folks less...”cult-like”. Aside from the business aspect, food and services, they also do live music which features mostly RF musicians. They even hire non-RF workers there as well however this is executed from strictly a business standpoint. Hiring non RF members allows service to continue at the restaurant during the times that RF staff are away during assorted RF events and sermons. Hiring non RF members also adds to the “we aren’t a cult” statement as well.

*There are two City Cafe restaurants in Central TN. The one I am referring to is City’s Cafe in Brentwood, not City Cafe in Nashville East.

I personally have not experienced any workers performing calorie counting, keeping track of meals eaten, nor have I personally experienced any judging of myself or anyone while being served at Connection Cafe and City Cafe. To be blunt, I only have eaten at Connection Cafe a handful of times due to it being overpriced and unfilling. I have only eaten at City Cafe once before making our departure from RF public. This was less than a year before Rob Day and company purchased it.

With that being said, I wouldn’t put it past them to approach an RF member who may/may not be seeing as going over “gods boundaries”. I have had this happen to me before with RF members during dinners, lunches and social gatherings involving food. I can recall with perfect memory being 10 lbs underweight and scrutinized for my portions. At that time, I was basically starving myself yet I remember getting flack from some members for having big plates of food or jot splitting with other members.

Gwen is not turning over a new leaf. She leaving out The Growl, but is still preaching the same awful eating disorder advice. Of course she implies her advice is not like other advice that comes from people, no her advice is from God. :pb_rollseyes:

As you have begun waiting for true hunger, God has shown you just how much of your heart has been devoted to your passion for food rather than to Him. But the fact is, you are now free from worrying about food, man-made food rules, and the control that food used to have over you. You are free to be fully devoted to HIM, while enjoying His wonderful foods when your body is hungry.

Remember these two tips as you wait for the true physical hunger: First, remember that the flavor of food will diminish as you reach the “satisfied” feeling. Food is far more tasty at the beginning of a meal when you are truly hungry than is it as the end of the meal. This will help you slow down and stop when it is time to do so. Also, remember that true hunger is determined by your own body, not the clock on the wall. It is not “righteous” to eat breakfast if you are not hungry and your body does not call for it. Likewise, eating at night is absolutely correct if that is when you feel physically hungry and need fuel.

It is a wonderful feeling to be devoted to God instead of food. Remember that prayer – constant communication with God – will keep you focused!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/three-decades-of-helping-thousands-find-permanent-weight-loss-gwen-shamblin-lara-ms-rd-releases-latest-book-weigh-down-works-300771395.html

Three Decades of Helping Thousands Find Permanent Weight Loss, Gwen Shamblin Lara, M.S., R.D., releases latest book "Weigh Down Works!"

Three Decades of Helping Thousands Find Permanent Weight Loss, Gwen Shamblin Lara, M.S., R.D., releases latest book "Weigh Down Works!" 

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Weigh Down 

Jan 02, 2019, 05:00 ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Jan. 2, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Is it possible to lose weight permanently and never diet again? The answer is in Weigh Down Works! now available on Amazon and WeighDown.com. Penned by Gwen Shamblin Lara, M.S., R.D., who is considered the pioneer of faith-based weight loss, Weigh Down Works! is the 30-year anniversary edition of Gwen's best seller, The Weigh Down Diet. Expanding on her original teachings, this revolutionary book of hope contains even more weight loss tips and many inspiring success stories.

"Weigh Down Works!" the latest book from the pioneer of faith-based weight loss and best-selling author, Gwen Shamblin Lara, proves that permanent weight loss is obtainable for everyone!

While diet trends and gimmicks come and go, the Weigh Down principles have remained consistent for 3 decades, providing permanent weight loss for thousands of Weigh Down participants around the world.

Additionally, Gwen Shamblin Lara is perhaps the only known weight loss spokesperson with 30 years of staying thin herself, simply by applying the Weigh Down principles she teaches.

In Weigh Down Works! Gwen teaches weight loss seekers how to:

Understand why diets never work.

Return to the body's God-given cues of hunger and fullness.

Lose weight and achieve optimum health by eating regular foods.

Be done with late night binge eating.

Turn to God for comfort instead of food.

"This is about exchanging a relationship with the refrigerator over to a relationship with God." - Gwen Shamblin Lara

Weigh Down: Gwen Shamblin Lara founded Weigh Down in the early 1980's. What began as classes held in homes and local churches quickly grew to an international seminar featured on tv shows such as Larry King LIVE, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The View, 20/20, The Tyra Banks Show and BBC. A non-profit organization, Weigh Down, now offers online weight loss classes, personal support through accountability partners and community support through the Weigh Down Facebook group.

In 2018 , Gwen married American actor, Joe Lara and the two reside in Brentwood, TN. Currently, Gwen is booking motivational speaking events, interviews and making press rounds. Kindly let us know your dates as soon as possible. Additional high resolution photos available upon request.

Miley Barcus
Weigh Down
615-642-4733 direct
miley.barcus@weighdown.com

SOURCE Weigh Down

A slightly different rabbit hole here. The other day I was listening to a history podcast about Anglo-Saxon food and diet. The host made a funny comment about St Jerome (of the Vulgate Bible fame) and his attitude to beans, which made me think of Gwen and sent me off on a hunt for the original references.

Here's the quote I was chasing:

This is the reason why some of those who aspire to a life of chastity fall midway on the road. They think that they need merely abstain from meat, and they load their stomach with vegetables which are only harmless when taken sparingly and in moderation. To give you my real opinion, I think that nothing so inflames the body and titillates the organs of generation as undigested food and convulsive belching."

In other words, food and burping will make you horny.

And right up Gwen's alley:

A frugal diet which leaves you always hungry is to be preferred to a three days' fast, and it is much better to go short every day than occasionally to satisfy your appetite to the full.

I came to the conclusion that Gwen and St Jerome would have gotten along really well (as long as she remembered she was only a woman, and he forgave her for re-marrying and not staying a consecrated virgin). 

Both quotes are from St Jerome's Epistle 54 To Furia: Chaste Widowhood sent in 395AD.

11 minutes ago, Katzchen24 said:

A slightly different rabbit hole here. The other day I was listening to a history podcast about Anglo-Saxon food and diet. The host made a funny comment about St Jerome (of the Vulgate Bible fame) and his attitude to beans, which made me think of Gwen and sent me off on a hunt for the original references.

Here's the quote I was chasing:

This is the reason why some of those who aspire to a life of chastity fall midway on the road. They think that they need merely abstain from meat, and they load their stomach with vegetables which are only harmless when taken sparingly and in moderation. To give you my real opinion, I think that nothing so inflames the body and titillates the organs of generation as undigested food and convulsive belching."

In other words, food and burping will make you horny.

And right up Gwen's alley:

A frugal diet which leaves you always hungry is to be preferred to a three days' fast, and it is much better to go short every day than occasionally to satisfy your appetite to the full.

I came to the conclusion that Gwen and St Jerome would have gotten along really well (as long as she remembered she was only a woman, and he forgave her for re-marrying and not staying a consecrated virgin). 

Both quotes are from St Jerome's Epistle 54 To Furia: Chaste Widowhood sent in 395AD.

that sounds like the writings of a man who wanted to make fewer trips to Aldi.

seriously , this is fascinating .

question for @RFsurvivor and @RFSurvivor_2 I have Fam in RF and am wondering if you can tell me how you got out or if you know of any family members that have been able to help people see the hypocrisy of this crazy lady. My family married into a family in the inner circle but I’m hoping there is still hope ...any stories advice or suggestions?

22 minutes ago, RFfamANON said:

question for @RFsurvivor and @RFSurvivor_2 I have Fam in RF and am wondering if you can tell me how you got out or if you know of any family members that have been able to help people see the hypocrisy of this crazy lady. My family married into a family in the inner circle but I’m hoping there is still hope ...any stories advice or suggestions?

Please check your private messages.

48 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

that sounds like the writings of a man who wanted to make fewer trips to Aldi.

seriously , this is fascinating .

This seriously is! Great find @Katzchen24

On 1/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, RFfree said:

Did anyone see the instagram pic of her catching the hockey puck? That's pretty cool actually...but the hair ?

oh, and Tarzan is smiling ?

I accidentally read this as "catching the hockey puck with her hair" the first time and thought "well it's certainly high and probably hard and dense enough to stop a hockey puck..."

@Katzchen24 were you possibly listening to the British History Podcast? They often do "cultural episodes" in addition to the historical event episodes. If you weren't, you should check it out! The host is dorky and entertaining, research for the podcast is his full-time job, and I've learned so much!

25 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

@Katzchen24 were you possibly listening to the British History Podcast? They often do "cultural episodes" in addition to the historical event episodes. If you weren't, you should check it out! The host is dorky and entertaining, research for the podcast is his full-time job, and I've learned so much!

@neurogirl that is exactly what I was listening to! I've been treating myself by listening to the show from the beginning again. Jamie is fantastic, and yes, it was a cultural episode I got this little snippet from. I think it was Ep 48 Dark Age Diets Combo Episode. The only difference was that he said St Jerome objected to beans because he thought women might find the resulting farting titillating. ? The translation I found only said belching.

Very happy to know there's another fan on here. ?

Another crappy weight loss devotional from Gwen. I guess she got annoyed that we pointed out she changed her devotional based on our criticism and she is going to show us she still likes giving out disordered eating advice disguised as a Bible devotional! She has still not brought back the whole Growl talk. 

Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.
Philippians 3:19

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Psalm 63:1

Do not be Philippians 3:19 above — run after Psalm 63:1! Here are some more tips to help break your focus on the food. Do not eat in your car. Do not eat in your room. Do not keep a food drawer at work loaded with unnecessary snacks. Do not eat in front of the TV. You do not need to eat your way through the day! At parties or get-togethers, don’t hang out by the food table, snacking your way through several hours. The more you turn your focus toward God and the people around you instead of the food table, your interest in the food will die and you will feel SO much better, closer to God and others. Just eat TO LIVE — do not live to eat! Do not turn to food until your stomach is really growling, then enjoy a small portion. Do not extend this time throughout the day; do not worship the food. Let’s do this for God this year – show Him that He is FIRST in our lives, because after all, our bodies belong to Him!

Gwen has still made her god her stomach because she spends all day focusing on not eating. Her life revolves around avoiding food. She also appears to have her mind on a hell of a lot of earthly things. 

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Another crappy weight loss devotional from Gwen. I guess she got annoyed that we pointed out she changed her devotional based on our criticism and she is going to show us she still likes giving out disordered eating advice disguised as a Bible devotional! She has still not brought back the whole Growl talk. 

Gwen has still made her god her stomach because she spends all day focusing on not eating. Her life revolves around avoiding food. She also appears to have her mind on a hell of a lot of earthly things. 

For being so against earthly things she certainly does accumulate quite a lot of them. Clothes. Houses. Jewelry.  Just to name a few 

1 hour ago, RFfamANON said:

For being so against earthly things she certainly does accumulate quite a lot of them. Clothes. Houses. Jewelry.  Just to name a few 

Oh but they are blessings for obedience for Gwen! *eye roll*

29 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Oh but they are blessings for obedience for Gwen! *eye roll*

Totally forgot about that fun fact. 

1 hour ago, RFfamANON said:

And of course the start of her new collection......husbands. 

5 minutes ago, SJWaterford said:

And of course the start of her new collection......husbands. 

HAHAHAHAHHAH! Oh damn! 

http://www.weighdown.com/weighdown-tv/the-answer-to-childhood-obesity/

So starting at about minute 19:30, a boy named Mason is going to explain how he went to his first event @ RF thinking he was fine and then Elizabeth gets ahold of him and he suddenly feels like he isn't fine. He goes on to say that he had lost 22 lbs. They really put the kid on a scale?!?! That he would skip meals if he didn't need them and cut his meals in half. The only time I think it's acceptable to put a kid on a scale would be at the doctors office. His before picture didn't really look like he was that overweight. Maybe a little chubby, but all of my kids chubbed up a little right before a growth spurt. 

1 hour ago, SJWaterford said:

http://www.weighdown.com/weighdown-tv/the-answer-to-childhood-obesity/

So starting at about minute 19:30, a boy named Mason is going to explain how he went to his first event @ RF thinking he was fine and then Elizabeth gets ahold of him and he suddenly feels like he isn't fine. He goes on to say that he had lost 22 lbs. They really put the kid on a scale?!?! That he would skip meals if he didn't need them and cut his meals in half. The only time I think it's acceptable to put a kid on a scale would be at the doctors office. His before picture didn't really look like he was that overweight. Maybe a little chubby, but all of my kids chubbed up a little right before a growth spurt. 

I’m so sickened by this. He’s not eating healthier. He’s just eating less. And he’s quite thin now. I know lots of kids that are thin naturally and I think it’s fine. But it’s disturbing to me that this boy is thin because of a completely unhealthy diet. I can’t believe his parents. They are fucked up to allow this.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived