IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 5: She is a shit writer!

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, sajetime said:
  Reveal hidden contents

https://pilotonline.com/business/article_3d8866ba-2644-11e9-99b2-77477dc7b499.html

Real estate broker Chantel Ray sues to prove she didn't plagiarize faith-based weight loss book

By Scott Daugherty
Staff writer

Feb 5, 2019 Updated Feb 6, 2019

The owner of Chantel Ray Real Estate is fighting back at allegations she cribbed portions of a faith-based weight loss book she published in 2017.

In court documents, Chantel Ray argues any similarities between "Waist Away the Chantel Ray Way" and two books written by Gwen Shamblin of “Weigh Down Ministries” are mere coincidence. And as such, Ray wants a federal judge in Norfolk to preemptively rule she did not infringe on Weigh Down's copyrights.

"She's done nothing wrong," attorney Christopher D. Davis said in an interview, explaining that the book was based on Ray's own research and personal experiences. "And she's determined to preserve her name and her reputation."

Attorneys for Weigh Down Ministries did not respond to requests for comment, but they are scheduled to appear Thursday in U.S. District Court in Norfolk to argue where the case should be tried. Ray filed her lawsuit here, but Weigh Down wants it moved to Tennessee where Shamblin lives.

A former math teacher at Cox High School, Ray started her real estate company in 2012, according to her company's website. Over the next several years, she expanded from one office on Laskin Road to seven across Hampton Roads and now North Carolina.

But she is more than just a real estate broker. According to Ray's suit and related court filings, she self-published a weight loss book in 2017 after interviewing more than 1,000 “thin women” — including former Miss Virginia 2012 Catherine Muldoon — to learn their secrets. In the book, she also "synthesized her personal struggle with weight loss," the suit said.

"She's got notes. She's got recordings," Davis said.

Weigh Down Ministries learned of the book in May 2018 and issued a cease and desist letter, claiming Ray had cribbed portions of her book from two other books written by Shamblin, “The Weigh Down Diet” and “The Tablet.”

The demand letter sought up to $30,000 for each violation, plus attorney fees, related damages and public acknowledgement Shamblin wrote the offending sections. It claimed Ray willfully infringed on their copyrights because Ray participated in February 2018 in an online class offered by Weigh Down Ministries.

ADVERTISING

To support its case, Weigh Down's attorney attached a chart with 43 excerpts from Ray's books next to excerpts from Shamblin's books.

In an email, Ray acknowledged reading one of the Weigh Down books about 12 years ago. But her attorney disputed his client took the class in question, arguing she was unable to log in and received a full refund. Plus, Davis said, the class took place after the book was published.

The month before, Ray said, she hosted a launch party at Eagle's Nest in Virginia Beach.

As for the alleged similarities in the books, Ray's attorney argued the letter contained “cherry-picked” examples that did little more than describe "generic comparisons that are inherent in many publications regarding weight loss."

Among other things, the demand letter notes how both "Waist Away" and the Weigh Down books recommend people not eat until their stomach growls, keep food out of sight and savor individual M&Ms when they crave chocolate.

Davis said the M&M tip came from Muldoon, although she mentioned it in terms of individual Skittles. Ray decided to change it to M&Ms because she believed that was more relatable, he explained.

"Waist Away" and the  Weigh Down books also suggested people use a fork and knife when eating things that don't traditionally require silverware — like pizza.

"The mere fact that two books on weight loss ... suggest that one should use silverware hardly rises to the level of copyright infringement," Davis wrote in the lawsuit.

"It's just preposterous — ridiculous — to say only one person can come up with that," Davis added later in an interview.

I was in a car accident when I was 18 and lost my 3 lower front teeth on the steering wheel. I have a bridge there and have had to eat pizza with a fork ever since because my bite isn't the same and being harder to tear through with my teeth, the end result could be quite embarrassing for me hahaha. Sorry Gwen, you don't own that idea any more than I do ?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot about Gwen's devotional this morning! Anyway, nothing new here. Same old shit, except this time she claims following her plan of not eating will cure you of anger(I suspect I will be way more angry) and is a cure for panic disorders. She doesn't even try to have evidence to back up her claims, She just says stuff. How is it legal to give out such terrible medical advice?

After you taste the world and its pleasures, you are empty and you are left in need again. You become even more out of control and desperate. But this is when you should “transfer”…when you feed your longing soul with a search for your Creator, His will, and His personality instead of your sensual desires—and when you experiment with talking to Him, doing things His way, getting your prayers answered because you did things His way, trusting Him, and liking Him—then you finally fall in love with Him. Love for the Lord God Almighty fills your heart, and the old empty feeling leaves permanently!

You start to feel satiated, fulfilled, not so “hungry” anymore. Panic disorders disappear and anger dissipates. Your “making it happen” goals are not needed as you simply look to God to make it happen. He answers prayers.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I forgot about Gwen's devotional this morning! Anyway, nothing new here. Same old shit, except this time she claims following her plan of not eating will cure you of anger(I suspect I will be way more angry) and is a cure for panic disorders. She doesn't even try to have evidence to back up her claims, She just says stuff. How is it legal to give out such terrible medical advice?

After you taste the world and its pleasures, you are empty and you are left in need again. You become even more out of control and desperate. But this is when you should “transfer”…when you feed your longing soul with a search for your Creator, His will, and His personality instead of your sensual desires—and when you experiment with talking to Him, doing things His way, getting your prayers answered because you did things His way, trusting Him, and liking Him—then you finally fall in love with Him. Love for the Lord God Almighty fills your heart, and the old empty feeling leaves permanently!

You start to feel satiated, fulfilled, not so “hungry” anymore. Panic disorders disappear and anger dissipates. Your “making it happen” goals are not needed as you simply look to God to make it happen. He answers prayers.

I bolded a different part. So way back, when I was in HS, I had the opportunity to go to Russia for almost 1 month. It was with People to People. I went with people around my age and we went to Moscow, Tver, Riga (Latvia) and St. Petersburg. My Russian trip taught me that my little world back home was a speck in the grand scheme of things of the world. It also taught me that there are farms and families just like mine across the world. So the trip did 2 things, show me how big the world is but also how people are people all over the world. 

My faith has grown stronger the more I am "out in the world", in fact my black and white views of my youth are all shades of grey as I get older. I have felt lost* before but not empty. *Lost as in indecisive and not trusting myself but all those things made me grow. Some decisions I regret but I think that is normal. There is nothing I can do with the decisions I regret but they helped me into the person I am today- just like the decisions I don't regret. All help me grow and change. 

Gwen Shamblin is such a sham! Oh and thinking of a sham- I think she gets away with making horrible medical advice is because she is not a doctor. So it isn't illegal for her to claim such things. I do wonder if the board of dietitians have a moral code of ethics to follow...

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Her comment about panic disorders disappearing?  That's dangerous.

1 hour ago, fransalley said:

Her comment about panic disorders disappearing?  That's dangerous.

Yes it is. My panic disorder "disappears" temporarily when I take my daily dose of Celexa. But it will reappear the next day without more meds.

I feel sorry for members of her flock who are guilted about having and treating mental illness.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:53 PM, JillsFlowerHeadband said:

always roll my eyes extra hard when I see fundies swinging this verse like a club to defend their controlling behavior... the Hebrew wording in this passage would probably better be translated “according to his/her way” with the sense of fostering and encouraging a child’s natural and God-given abilities and talents... it seems to me that would also mean not trying to make the child be something they’re not. 

Yes! Yes! Yes!  This drives me insane also!  

23 hours ago, RFfree said:

I was in a car accident when I was 18 and lost my 3 lower front teeth on the steering wheel. I have a bridge there and have had to eat pizza with a fork ever since because my bite isn't the same and being harder to tear through with my teeth, the end result could be quite embarrassing for me hahaha. Sorry Gwen, you don't own that idea any more than I do ?

Because of my dentures, I have to eat things with a fork that most people don't.  Pizza is one of those things, at least the first couple of bites.  That's what I did tonight, we had Digorno's and I used a fork.  But not because Gwen told me to!

If you want to eat and you don't have the proper Gwen growl then read the Bible until you lose the desire to eat. That is today's advice. 

One of the most practical things you can do with the desire eating feeling is to walk away from it and into a private room to talk to God. (Of course, you can talk to Him in your car or in a room filled with people—the location does not stop communication.) I have taught many people just to open up the Word and start reading wherever their eyes fall. God can coordinate personal communication with us. I remember the story of one person who took my advice, and she just cried out to God and asked if He even cared. She opened her Bible, and her eyes fell to this passage from Psalm 81:4-10:

“…this is a decree for Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob. He established it as a statute for Joseph when he went out against Egypt… He says, “I removed the burden from their shoulders; their hands were set free from the basket. In your distress you called and I rescued you, I answered you out of a thundercloud; I tested you at the waters of Meribah. Hear, O my people, and I will warn you—if you would but listen to me, O Israel! You shall have no foreign god among you; you shall not bow down to an alien god. I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.”

Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

This seems like a self-sabotaging scripture, to me.  ??

Today's message is pray so you will lose the desire to eat when you don't have the proper growl. I don't actually want to lose my desire to eat before I'm starving so I'll skip this advice. 

For God does speak—now one way, now another—though man may not perceive it.” Job 33:14

In my personal life, I cling to my Bible as I used to cling to my chocolate! I keep my eyes open, looking for the Father’s guidance everywhere. Previously, you may have chosen physical, earthly food when what you really needed was spiritual food, a relationship with the Heavenly Father. “I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.” Psalm 81:10

Open yourself to Him right now, and He will fill your heart. Desire eating will soon disappear if you run to the Bible or to prayer every time you feel this urge to eat when the stomach is not calling for food.

Today's lesson from Gwen is to talk to your food and tell it you are not going to listen to food anymore. She claims that by following her program you will suddenly find yourself not thinking about food, she doesn't mention that is because, as stated in last devotions from last year, you will spend all day thinking about The Growl. 

One practical thing to do with desire eating is to talk to the food and tell it that you are not going to answer to it anymore. You will not obey it when it calls your name from the kitchen cabinets or refrigerator!

Do not be afraid of running to God. He is your Father! And He has the finest personality. I could not describe to you a richer, more powerful, just, and moral Being.

I am really excited for what is ahead for you! One day, after your normal lunchtime, you will suddenly realize that you have not even thought about food because your stomach has not signaled you to eat. Congratulations! Stomach hunger, rather than head hunger (or desire eating), is beginning to control your eating! And you will also discover that you are beginning to feel closer to your Father. The transfer is underway!

I dreamed last night that I ended up at RF somehow. I started asking questions and they kicked me out and banned me from church property. 

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

One practical thing to do with desire eating is to talk to the food and tell it that you are not going to answer to it anymore. You will not obey it when it calls your name from the kitchen cabinets or refrigerator!

Talking to your food is not a practical way to lose weight. Actual practical advice would be to go through your cabinets and toss anything that is overprocessed or has a lot of sugar. Or maybe keep healthy, non-talking snacks in your purse so you don't stop at McDonald's on the way home from work.  

How would Gwen's advice actually work? Can I just open the pantry and have a general conversation or do I need to sit each item down individually? 

13 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

have a general conversation or do I need to sit each item down individually? 

You can’t do a general convo ...they’ll each assume you were talking about another of their food compatriots and continue as they were.

just like how sending out an all users email to tell people to clean up after themselves in the office kitchen does nothing.  You have to catch Bill in the act of leaving the blender in the sink until the stank of fish oil crusts over and becomes sentient and say, “hey shitlord, that’s not gonna wash itself.”

its gonna be time consuming but you’re going to have to do one on one meetings with each food item.  Careful of the baked goods ... they’re wily.

53 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You can’t do a general convo ...they’ll each assume you were talking about another of their food compatriots and continue as they were.

just like how sending out an all users email to tell people to clean up after themselves in the office kitchen does nothing.  You have to catch Bill in the act of leaving the blender in the sink until the stank of fish oil crusts over and becomes sentient and say, “hey shitlord, that’s not gonna wash itself.”

its gonna be time consuming but you’re going to have to do one on one meetings with each food item.  Careful of the baked goods ... they’re wily.

This right here. This is why I fucking love you B. I’m dying of laughter over here. 

So, if I ask the chocolate Christmas candy we have in the freezer if I should eat it all and it does not answer me, that means that it wants me to?

What about the bourbon I have in the liquor cabinet?  I'm sure it won't mind.  I'll need something to wash the chocolate down with.

Around the 23 minute mark in today’s Lunch with Joe (who regularly shows up fashionably late ... after a “pilot” gig?) and Gwen on Facebook Live, someone asked her how she does her hair. After joking about it being a wig, Gwen explains it’s a combination of thick curls, teasing and spraying.

She left out “praying” this time.

(Goes back into prayer closet!)

11179E8C-3B24-4AF9-B273-A3764FA2D326.jpeg

55 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Around the 23 minute mark in today’s Lunch with Joe (who regularly shows up fashionably late ... after a “pilot” gig?) and Gwen on Facebook Live, someone asked her how she does her hair. After joking about it being a wig, Gwen explains it’s a combination of thick curls, teasing and spraying.

She left out “praying” this time.

(Goes back into prayer closet!)

11179E8C-3B24-4AF9-B273-A3764FA2D326.jpeg

That seriously looks like he's there under duress and should be holding a newspaper up as a proof of life.

My primary message to my food -- "stop landing on my shirt!"  :my_blush:

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

That seriously looks like he's there under duress and should be holding a newspaper up as a proof of life.

I don't know if he did so much work to his face that he can't move it anymore, but he always looks like this now. 

11 hours ago, sajetime said:

wen explains it’s a combination of thick curls, teasing and spraying.

I don't see any thick curls. It is a wig. I have never seen anyone adjust their real hair like Gwen adjusts hers. 

Today's message, again, makes it seem like Gwen hasn't been around real people in a long time. Does she really think the rest of us stair at our plates non-stop as we frantically wolf down as much food as possible? 

Here are some helpful tips for slowing down so you can sense God’s lead during the meal:

Always pray for God to help you slow down, and watch what happens. It will amaze you!

Stop in the middle of your meal for one to two minutes. Give the food time to hit the bloodstream and really satisfy your hunger.

Try drinking two ounces of orange juice or another sweet beverage before you start. If you feel ravenous and too hungry, you may be afraid that you will never stop! By drinking a couple of ounces of juice before eating, you will quickly bring the blood sugar up enough to give you a calming effect that will allow you to approach the food with more control. This has helped some people.

Look up from food; do not stare at your plate. Enjoy the company. Have you ever been at a dinner where all you saw was the top of people’s heads as they had their faces buried in their plates? It shows a lot of love and affection for that plate of food. Do not worship the plate of food! Sit up, talk to the people you are with, carry on some polite dinner conversation, and ask the kids how their day was at school. That is the very essence of the family dinner, to have the opportunity to spend time together interacting.

I'm starting to think that Gwen has seen a few episodes of "My 600 lb Life", and thinks that all "normal" people are like those individuals portrayed (usually in the least flattering way possible) on the show.

If Buzzfeed ever hires me to write lists, "talk to your food" would not be featured on, "33 ways to become less interested in eating".    I would put it at #3  in "55 signs you are unhealthily obsessed with food"

#2 is "your food talks back",  and at #1 we'd have, "the best advice you ever got was from donuts."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived