IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 4: In Case Anyone Forgot, Carlin Is ENGAGED Y'all

HerNameIsBuffy

12 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

sounds like another mega / hipster / cool / sneakily racist (Spanish & bus routes . . . im only guessing . . .) / sneakily inclusive but not really fundie church 

Doesn't say anything about being KJV only or blatantly say gay marriage is wrong, marital roles, etc like some churches do right on the website, which is why I'm calling it "sneakily inclusive."

I'm going to agree that SHBC is sneaky but disagree politely that it is not really Fundie.  It's as Fundie as Hell.  It is calling itself an Independent Baptist Church and hiding the F in IFB.  It is basically a big IFB church.

It is not trumpeting KJV Only but all the Bible texts on the website are - KJV!  And it hits all the other Fundie buttons:

• Biblical inerrancy and infallibility
  • Acts 1:8
  • Salvation through Grace Alone 
  • pre-millenial pre-tribulation rapture
  • Christ-centered but Pastor-led

And we also have a nice little dynasty going on there.  One of the pastor's sons is an assistant pastor.  And the pastor boasts about his 7 children and 21 (and counting) grandchildren.

Definitely preying on minorities and barely concealed racism.  I like the "Sudanese" and "Spanish" pastors touches as well as the bus ministry.

It is not a FIC because it has separate Sunday School for children and doesn't push home schooling - but homeschooling is not an absolute requirement for all Fundies. 

I fully expect if we watched a sermon or two we'd get a pound of womanly submission, a quart of QF, and a ton of regular hate speech and pray away the gay like all others.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I think this Southhaven looks very much like the Bates's Crown-- revolving around one founder, with an attached Christian school. What is interesting about these megachurches founded by one person/family--no matter their theological or racial flavor--is that eventually the founder dies and often, a epic battle of succession ensues. Sometimes the megachurch survives, other times it does not.

Here in the DC area, we've had some big ugly battles over the future of African-American megachurches (and their properties) after the founder died.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I come from a cash only culture, so registries always make me side eye. Carlin’s isn’t bad though. Good lord though, her engagement is going to be never ending for us.

• Upvote 3

The registry seems pretty normal, Carlin is not living to the expectations of bridezilla people are wanting from her. Lets hope the wedding itself is more entertaining, Bates have been so boring lately.

About Evans church, it doesnt look that promising, except maybe for the attached private school. I can see Carlin taking advantage of it and being the first Bates to ditch homeschooling altogether.

• Upvote 10

@harleyquinn I meant to quote you too.

I think even non fundie churches have “singles” get together. I’ve never been to one though. I just know people who have attended them in their church. 

It's the Bible... For singles! Some churches call it 'college and career'. In many it functions as a dating opportunity. Married couples are usually split off in these churches as having something special to learn & teach about Christ, so the singles get grouped together kind of as a default. ETA lots of emphasis is put on teaching about sexuality, celibacy, and chastity. Basically married or engaged couples lead these groups and rub it in everyone else's faces about what they're missing in life. JMO.

• Haha 7

The college and career group at my church (aka the college/20s/30s group) just started and it is really not the place for dating potential. It is more along the lines of Youth Group 2.0 and it is frustrating as hell because some people's emotional maturity isn't quite there yet. I feel so bad for this one couple in their early 30s having to deal with these people.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, llucie said:

About Evans church, it doesnt look that promising, except maybe for the attached private school. I can see Carlin taking advantage of it and being the first Bates to ditch homeschooling altogether.

Don’t hold your breath, Carlin has stated a few times that Evan was homeschooled. It is one of the things she lists when describing what they have in common.

she can’t read when she is nervous, so I guess one can hope!

Edited by TeaELSee
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, tumblr said:

Carlin's registry seems exceptionally boring to me, almost disappointingly so. 

me too. I hope she has ridiculous bridal showers to make up for it.  She'll get 6 different "wifey" themed tshirts and mugs and 10 different wooden signs that say "Kiss Me Goodnight" or "And they Lived Happily Ever After"

We have no idea where they plan to live, right?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Don’t hold your breath, Carlin has stated a few times that Evan was homeschooled. It is one of the things she lists when describing what they have in common.

she can’t read when she is nervous, so I guess one can hope!

I am hoping she is tired of homeschooling kids after the last couple of years being the one homeschooling her siblings. Also i know the Bateses in general dont have a great level of education even when Kelly was the teacher, but being homeschooled by Carlin has to be the worst...i feel sorry for the poor younger kids.

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

We have no idea where they plan to live, right?

She said a couple times that they would live in Nashville (in Evans town).

• Upvote 5

Okay, so I'm really late to the party, but I just watched the first episode of the 8th season and I cannot deal with Carlin. I'll admit I'm seething with jealousy for her because I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and we have been living together for nearly 2 and we still aren't engaged. (I'm also older than Carlin, but that's besides the point) We just can't afford it right now. 

• Love 1

Do we know that Kelly's homeschooling wasn't great? I do remember one of the older girls (Alyssa?) balancing chemical equations at one point as part of her SOTDRT. That's a solid sophomore/junior level task and requires a decent grasp of algebra as well as several months' worth of intro to chem. It's evidence that the child was getting at least some of the way through a respectable high school curriculum. Remember that Kelly herself has an accredited university degree.

I don't think that Kelly is a born teacher and I certainly believe she lost enthusiasm as her kids kept coming and coming (hence her making Carlin into a teaching assistant), but at least the oldest girls got a more or less acceptable education through high school. I have no time for Crown College -- at best, that's four more years of high school.

I am definitely worried about the second generation, though: I don't think any of those girls are equipped to teach their own children past early elementary.

5 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Do we know that Kelly's homeschooling wasn't great? I do remember one of the older girls (Alyssa?) balancing chemical equations at one point as part of her SOTDRT. That's a solid sophomore/junior level task and requires a decent grasp of algebra as well as several months' worth of intro to chem. It's evidence that the child was getting at least some of the way through a respectable high school curriculum. Remember that Kelly herself has an accredited university degree.

I don't think that Kelly is a born teacher and I certainly believe she lost enthusiasm as her kids kept coming and coming (hence her making Carlin into a teaching assistant), but at least the oldest girls got a more or less acceptable education through high school. I have no time for Crown College -- at best, that's four more years of high school.

I am definitely worried about the second generation, though: I don't think any of those girls are equipped to teach their own children past early elementary.

No idea about the chemical ecuations, but Alyssa didnt knew the cardinal directions. Thats pretty basic knowledge.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

I'll admit I'm seething with jealousy for her because I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and we have been living together for nearly 2 and we still aren't engaged. (I'm also older than Carlin, but that's besides the point) We just can't afford it right now. 

She and Evan have absolutely nothing to be jealous of. You have been with your boyfriend for 5 years, living with him for 2 and you're happy. That's a stable basis for a marriage and that's much more than Carlin and Evan can say. Also, marriage isn't the end all be all. It is not going to add some magic layer to your relationship (unless you're of the "saving myself for marriage and not living together before marriage" kind, and in that situation the magic layer doesn't always turn out to be a happy one). I've been together with my BF for 7 years now, living together officially for 3 years. We got engaged last summer but we won't be getting married for at least another year because we don't have the money. Would I like to get married sooner? Sure. But more for practical reasons than for romantical reasons*. Our relationship right now is great and we don't need a marriage certificate to prove that to anyone let alone to ourselves. 
I'm not saying that wanting to get married is a bad thing, I mean I want to get married myself. I'm saying, don't let it take away from what you have right now. And don't think that Carlin and Evan's relationship is enviable or somehow better than yours! Everyone is different and everyone does things at a different pace.

* my BF has a chronic illness, and if he were to end up in the hospital I don't have anything to say/might not even be allowed to be with him as long as we're not married or have a civil partnership.
Edit to clarify: I do want to get married for romantical reasons; I would like to get married sooner for practical reasons.

Edited by Marly
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 6

14 hours ago, llucie said:

No idea about the chemical ecuations, but Alyssa didnt knew the cardinal directions. Thats pretty basic knowledge.

Just to play devil's advocate here I am sure there are plenty of public school grads who would have trouble naming the cardinal directions. There are a lot of dismal public schools especially in rural America. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Did she not know what 'cardinal directions' referred to, did she not know how to label them on a compass, or did she not know what north, south, east and west even were? 

I think I had east and west flipped in my mind until my early teens, but I have a learning disability that messes with direction, and I also live in a bizarre geographical location where up is down and left is right.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Did she not know what 'cardinal directions' referred to, did she not know how to label them on a compass, or did she not know what north, south, east and west even were? 

I think I had east and west flipped in my mind until my early teens, but I have a learning disability that messes with direction, and I also live in a bizarre geographical location where up is down and left is right.

alyssa webster.PNG

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Chemistry, my fave topic! (i'm a geochemist.)

I recall Kelly was a chemistry TA at uni (and TA'd Gil). So she at least knows that, I guess. You can use an algebraic method (with the basics of algebra) to balance equations but it's not the only way.  I can't remember when we learned how to do this in Ontario high school and they've changed the curriculum since then but probably grade 10?

I don't know how great Kelly's teaching was otherwise but I'm seen her and her adult kids make some common grammatical errors on Instagram so there's that.

I do feel there's a bit of arrogance in the thinking that homeschool teachers are qualified enough to teach all subjects in high school. In Ontario,  accredited high school teachers have a bachelor's (or master's) and can theoretically teach any subject in grade 9 or 10 but can only teach upper years if they've taken enough relevant uni credits (I forgot how many but it's usually their major and minor). How can you expect one parent to know enough about all these fields to teach deeply? And I agree that homeschool high school equivalent + Crown is not going to translate to teaching high school well at all, for most of the kids.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, llucie said:

alyssa webster.PNG

Oh Lord. And she was doing the homeschooling? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh Lord. And she was doing the homeschooling? 

no, they were playing pictionary, and her phrase was the north star.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

no, they were playing pictionary, and her phrase was the north star.

Oh no, I meant that like, "She was the one responsible for the homeschooling?" But the fact that they were playing pictionary and her phrase was 'north star' somehow makes it even worse.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Oh no, I meant that like, "She was the one responsible for the homeschooling?" But the fact that they were playing pictionary and her phrase was 'north star' somehow makes it even worse.

She doesn't even have the picture prompts in order. That would read "star north."

It also really bothered me how she laughed it off as if it were cute. Granted, maybe that was just to cover her embarrassment. But there seemed to be an element of "it's cute to be dumb." 

2 hours ago, tumblr said:

Just to play devil's advocate here I am sure there are plenty of public school grads who would have trouble naming the cardinal directions. There are a lot of dismal public schools especially in rural America. 

True, but I would also criticize those people for thinking they were qualified to home school.

Or for bragging about how they had better educations than others. Though, I don't think we've heard the Bateses bang the "home schooled kids are better!" gong the way the Maxwells and the Botkins have. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were digs made at public school educations behind closed doors.

• Upvote 10

On 1/10/2019 at 2:49 AM, ColeJo said:

The college and career group at my church (aka the college/20s/30s group) just started and it is really not the place for dating potential. It is more along the lines of Youth Group 2.0 and it is frustrating as hell because some people's emotional maturity isn't quite there yet. I feel so bad for this one couple in their early 30s having to deal with these people.

Now just imagine that group at a fundamentalist church, where it's almost expected of you to live and act like a sheltered fifteen-year-old until you get married. 

• Upvote 1

I quite like a lot of what Carlin registered for. I have a similar style to her. I have a lot of those fake succulents myself. No shame in that for me, they’re pretty common these days. I do balance them out with half real plants in home as well.

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic