IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 4: In Case Anyone Forgot, Carlin Is ENGAGED Y'all

HerNameIsBuffy

18 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not really sure what the churches are now. When I was in IBLP the whole home church thing wasn't big yet so most attended a real church. Gil's church seems to be one of those family integrated churches that is also IFB. 

Gil does have a couple sermons on the church website, but it looks like he has removed most of them. 

It looks like Gil even managed to grift the building of his church. The church is on the list of churches worked on by Carpenters for Christ and organization that sends men to build churches. 

When the Bates were first shown on the Duggars shows, the family attended Still Waters Baptist Church near where they live. It labels itself as an independent, King James only, Baptist Church. They left there and started Bible Baptist in a Holiday Inn conference room and then got their own building that they operated for a while until it was decided it was too crowded. Lately, while the renovations on the newly constructed building are being done, they have been having church services at a local funeral home, when there is not a funeral that day. They also have some events at an empty storefront in a shopping center, which is not that unusual right now. 

Several cities and counties are having a hard time getting new businesses to come in and use space that already exists. Online shopping is hitting these groups hard. Those that do come in want to build their own usually. So elected officials and boards in some of these small towns are facing issues because the applicants for licenses and zoning are not necessarily what conservative cities and communities want. If the shopping center is owned by a fellow conservative, they offer some favors/incentives to allow him or her to rent out space short term to churches or similar organizations. Then when a liquor store, adult entertainment facility, or something similar wants to move into the shopping center, they can't because they have to be so many feet from a church according to local zoning laws. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

My daughter is getting married at a farm. The venue is about $6000, but I am actually ok with that. We get it from fri am to sun afternoon, so we have all day fri to decorate, rehearsal and dinner is there that evening, they wanted super casual so we are getting pizzas and having a campfire, then the day of the wedding they are having all their friends who want to stay over night camp out in a meadow there (they are all big into backpacking/hiking). Us older folks will be at the local marriott. Then Sunday we can go and tear down. There is a pond for fishing and row boating, a campfire area, two barns, a house for the bridesmaids to get ready in, plenty of parking. It's not the wedding I had pictured, but it works for them. 

• Upvote 20
  • Love 3

@kmachete14 I can only imagine! We were getting quotes of $150 a head. And they are close enough to northern VA that some of the venues and caterers were from the DC area and it was insane. They have a budget of $10,000- 5 from us and 5 from his family, and with all the affordable things they are doing, this one indulgence is going to work for them. Good luck in your planning! Things sure have changed a lot since my marriage a long-ass time ago. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@fluffernutter holy cow that is such a good deal . . . I am getting married in downtown Chicago . . . you can imagine I am NOT getting a good deal . . .

My niece got married in downtown Chicago a few years ago, I can’t remember the venue, it was a big brick kind of industrial chic place. Anyway, it was a jaw dropping amount of money but they can afford it. Bonus, beautiful wedding and fun too!

Good luck with your wedding! The bigger the city the harder it is to coordinate.

• Upvote 3

I doubt that the Bates are paying anything for the wedding venue. Castleton Farms will get a lot of free publicity for being on the show, so I'm sure they waived the fee.

• Love 2

22 hours ago, wandering woman said:

I doubt that the Bates are paying anything for the wedding venue. Castleton Farms will get a lot of free publicity for being on the show, so I'm sure they waived the fee.

Discounted at least. Many of these places are getting wise to filming permits. They know some film crews tear up the grass, overload the electricity, etc.  We just rented out the community club where I live to a reality show couple for a wedding. We ended up charging more to compensate for equipment and trucks on the park property. 

We've been burnt before. But other places are limiting the freebies that they give reality shows. This is even more the case when a company can't control the message. I would think LeAnn Marshall would be wary now when a reality show about fundies and Miss Renee criticized her design and called her employee a liar. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 5

On 3/4/2019 at 3:04 PM, HereticHick said:

I think that is very likely. Even if UP is a fourth or fifth tier network, Castleton Farms will still be thrilled to be broadcast nationwide, and probably also get mention in some local news writeups, People magazine, etc.

PS Lets not forget that Bates weddings are dry-- you save A LOT of money by not serving alcohol.

And if the only dancing is first dance and dad/daughter, they can save even more money by having no DJ or band, just a sibling controlling the Spotify hooked up to speakers (come on Interchangeable Younger Bates Children, I dare you to rig it to play What's New Pussycat on loop with one abrupt instance of It's Not Unusual), or have Lawson do his PureFlix Ed Sheeran act. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I am actually glad that Gil and Kelly are not being a$$hats about the dancing. Small silver lining, I know, especially when they are a$$hats about everything else...

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

First comes love, then comes marriage, then (exactly 9-10 months later) comes Carlin with a baby carriage 

B5F0D0B1-6DDE-493F-8B97-C5C8D4D65A8B.png

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 7
  • Haha 16

On 3/12/2019 at 10:19 PM, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I am actually glad that Gil and Kelly are not being a$$hats about the dancing. Small silver lining, I know, especially when they are a$$hats about everything else...

Agree, finally some indication that indeed, at least in some ways, they are allowed to define their own courtship/engagement standards.

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I’m guessing this was a compromise rather than a real change of beliefs. Josie has apparently said in past Facebook Lives that the house will fall apart once Carlin marries and leaves. Going off that and how lazy they are, I could absolutely see Gil and Kelly agreeing to allow the dancing at the reception if CarVan agreed to a longer than average Bates relationship - it would give them several more months of time before having to either do some actual work themselves (ha!) or before they have to pick someone new to take over the responsibilities* Carlin had. It’s actually kind of brilliant in a sad way. Carlin gets something small she really wants, Evan gets to see Carlin happy, they get to have a wedding that sounds like it’ll be more extravagant than her siblings had, Gil and Kelly get to look like decent parents on the show, and her parents once again manipulate a big moment in one of their childrens’ lives to their personal benefit. 

*I’m almost positive that Katie graduates this May. I’m also pretty convinced that she was persuaded to pursue the one year Cosmetology program (instead of the longer Nursing program) by her parents because Kelly wants her to take over Carlin’s household responsibilities this spring. I could also just be paranoid, but the Bateses are really shitty parents and I think this theory is absolutely plausible.

• Upvote 21

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

*I’m almost positive that Katie graduates this May. I’m also pretty convinced that she was persuaded to pursue the one year Cosmetology program (instead of the longer Nursing program) by her parents because Kelly wants her to take over Carlin’s household responsibilities this spring. I could also just be paranoid, but the Bateses are really shitty parents and I think this theory is absolutely plausible.

Cosmetology is a two years course, so no way she finishes in may. If she does summer classes like Josie did she may finish earlier than that, but not until next autumm.

Addallee on the other hand is 13 and old enought to become the next cinderella.

• Sad 8

Katie will probably take over for Carlin and start training Addallee to do the bulk the work. The only thing she can't do is be the school teacher. I don't see Kelly going to back to homeschooling the kids so they will either bring in a SAHD to teach the kids or the kids will be left to teach themselves. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

I really don’t think that Kelly or Gil are bothered by Carlin leaving. They still have enough daughters at home that will have to pick up. A SAHD is very probably taking over the homeschooling but on the other hand they might just place the little ones in front of a screen or not bothering at all. I don’t think they will still have a show by the time they graduate so no one will notice if they are even more uneducated than their siblings. 

What I would be scared of is the lack of married sons though. Just imagine all girls married. No way their husbands are taking in their brother in laws. They will still be at home, too entitled to do their own washing. Gil and Kelly would have to build a new narrative how it is absolutely important that men are able to do all this or rely on SAHD to hopefully marry away the boys.

• Upvote 5

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, fluffernutter said:

My daughter is getting married at a farm. The venue is about $6000, but I am actually ok with that. We get it from fri am to sun afternoon, so we have all day fri to decorate, rehearsal and dinner is there that evening, they wanted super casual so we are getting pizzas and having a campfire, then the day of the wedding they are having all their friends who want to stay over night camp out in a meadow there (they are all big into backpacking/hiking). Us older folks will be at the local marriott. Then Sunday we can go and tear down. There is a pond for fishing and row boating, a campfire area, two barns, a house for the bridesmaids to get ready in, plenty of parking. It's not the wedding I had pictured, but it works for them. 

The venue and rehearsal dinner both sound like really nice.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, formergothardite said:

Katie will probably take over for Carlin and start training Addallee to do the bulk the work. The only thing she can't do is be the school teacher. I don't see Kelly going to back to homeschooling the kids so they will either bring in a SAHD to teach the kids or the kids will be left to teach themselves. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, just_ordinary said:

I really don’t think that Kelly or Gil are bothered by Carlin leaving. They still have enough daughters at home that will have to pick up. A SAHD is very probably taking over the homeschooling but on the other hand they might just place the little ones in front of a screen or not bothering at all. I don’t think they will still have a show by the time they graduate so no one will notice if they are even more uneducated than their siblings. 

What I would be scared of is the lack of married sons though. Just imagine all girls married. No way their husbands are taking in their brother in laws. They will still be at home, too entitled to do their own washing. Gil and Kelly would have to build a new narrative how it is absolutely important that men are able to do all this or rely on SAHD to hopefully marry away the boys.

I could see them doing both. Katie trains Addallee, Ellie and Callie to take over all the duties, before fleeing the coup. If worse case scenario comes the girls' leave they will draft the boys and make a story as to why they are suddenly doing all the work at home and/or shove them off on their siblings year around visit Michael in Chicago, then send them off to Alyssa in Florida, then to Nashville and home to Erin and then Whitney. Unless Kelly ends up convincing Michael to come home and raise her kids for her. But I don't see Brandon ever agree to that. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I wonder if the Bates are like the average rich family, just fundie. When one of the gen 2Bs were not academically Crown College material, did they paste one of their children's faces on someone holding a Bible or pay someone to take their kids' for Jesus degree exams?

Gil did mention in a recently LIVE that he hoped Carlin passed this year in order to walk for her degree. I know Liberty is supposed to be more academically rigorous than Crown. I wonder if she struggles with her grades. Nothing wrong with that so long as she is making improvements the honest way.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I wonder if the Bates are like the average rich family, just fundie. When one of the gen 2Bs were not academically Crown College material, did they paste one of their children's faces on someone holding a Bible or pay someone to take their kids' for Jesus degree exams?

Gil did mention in a recently LIVE that he hoped Carlin passed this year in order to walk for her degree. I know Liberty is supposed to be more academically rigorous than Crown. I wonder if she struggles with her grades. Nothing wrong with that so long as she is making improvements the honest way.

To be honest i would not see the point in faking a degree, the ones that are not interested simply dont go (all the boys) or drop out like Alyssa, its not like they value education so much in their circles.

I did hear the snarky comment by Gil and i hope Carlin proves them wrong and graduates and shows her family she is not as dumb as they think.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 3/16/2019 at 7:56 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

Ahh the ol' flexing while holding a baby trick. :pb_lol: 

If you can do it while standing on railroad tracks with a wide stance and make a V for victory sign with your free hand, you can fulfill about 5 fundy photo stereotypes at once.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 16
  • Love 1

Her post yesterday wishing her future sis in law was a bit douchy too.  Its a picture of her n her "man" with the girl barely visible in the background.  Who does that?!?!

• Haha 4

On 3/18/2019 at 12:19 AM, AussieKrissy said:

Yeah douche canoe weekly.... 

227BAD1B-9126-4515-9001-5A263C211CD7.png

Someone ought to let Carlin know that magazines have covers, not "front pages"...and that Fundy Zoolander doesn't quite cut it. WTF is up with his hair?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Front page of a magazine? Yeah these two are going to live the "worldly" fundie existence for all that they are worth and not look back. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic