IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 36: The Drought Has Ended with Jessa's Announcement

Coconut Flan

19 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jed and Jer turned 20 yesterday! How much longer before one of them is a-courtin’? I’m convinced that one of them will end up with Lauren Caldwell.

First double sibling wedding and first double cousins in the family (who would be genetically as close as half-siblings btw)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siblings marrying siblings from the same family weirds me out. I know there’s nothing really wrong with it, but it just feels like...your social circle is so small and keeping the family tight tight knit. Idk I guess it’s really just with these fundie families I find it weird, since it seems so uncommon in general. But like the only other example it’s probably common in historically is probably royalty, which again is social circle so small and family trying to control family. Just something about it is a red flag for the family dynamics in general in my mind I guess.

33 minutes ago, habert said:

But like the only other example it’s probably common in historically is probably royalty, which again is social circle so small and family trying to control family.

it's really common in genealogy in rural communities of the 19th century and before.  makes things confusing when they have the same first names on both side and the women essentially swap surnames.

18 hours ago, habert said:

Last day of 2018, and STILL NO ANNOUNCEMENTS! In 3 days it will be 1 whole year since Jinger announced her pregnancy with Felicity (Jan 3rd). It’s also been 165 days today since Felicity Vuolo was born and 52 days since Kade Smith’s birth. If Abbie and Josie conceived within the first 8 weeks of their marriage, they’re probably not announcing for another month. However, Lauren has been married for 184 days and no announcements, either. Henry Seewald is turning 2 on February 6th, 37 days from now. 

Who is going to be first? How much longer will there be no announcements? How many will be pregnant at once? I feel like whoever announces first is going to start off a long endless baby parade as more presumably get married and this is probably the last time we’ll have such a “prolonged” period

A lot of us thought that there would be another announcement before felicity  came and we'd never see another gap between Duggar pregnancies. We seem to all be wrong about how quickly they'll reproduce.

Yay, less cult babies!

When Jessa became pregnant so quickly after Spurgeon she made a comment that it looks like she has her mom's fertility. Glad that's not the case.

2 hours ago, habert said:

Siblings marrying siblings from the same family weirds me out. I know there’s nothing really wrong with it, but it just feels like...your social circle is so small and keeping the family tight tight knit. Idk I guess it’s really just with these fundie families I find it weird, since it seems so uncommon in general. But like the only other example it’s probably common in historically is probably royalty, which again is social circle so small and family trying to control family. Just something about it is a red flag for the family dynamics in general in my mind I guess.

There are a lot of countries in which marriage between first cousins is legal, even double first cousins (25% of genes identical aka as close as half-siblings). Here, the only thing that is forbidden is marriage between siblings (full siblings, half siblings, even adopted siblings), parent-child, grandparent-grandchild. Everything else is allowed , which includes first cousin marriage, as well as double first cousins, uncle-niece, aunt-nephew, even though between these there is a 25% identical genes level as well (except for normal cousins, there it is 12.5 %). It always freaked me out that these laws are not based on statistical genetics but only on degree of relation by law. If they would do a %-gene cut-off, lets say 25%, then uncle-niece etc. would also be illegal. But I think there is realtivly strong lobby for those kind of marriages by certain communities...

Apparently the brother of someone I went to high school with married their first cousin. It totally creeps me out. Imagine going to a wedding where your brother’s daughter is marrying your son or something. Or where your grandchildren get married. When my friend told me about this I was like, “How do you even ask your cousin out on a date?” And she asked they probably had drunken sex. Which is how Howard Wolowitz lost his virginity but HE’S A FICTIONAL CHARACTER AND CONSTANTLY MADE FUN OF FOR IT. In modern times when you’re from a big city it’s just fucking weird.

5 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Apparently the brother of someone I went to high school with married their first cousin. It totally creeps me out. Imagine going to a wedding where your brother’s daughter is marrying your son or something. Or where your grandchildren get married. When my friend told me about this I was like, “How do you even ask your cousin out on a date?” And she asked they probably had drunken sex. Which is how Howard Wolowitz lost his virginity but HE’S A FICTIONAL CHARACTER AND CONSTANTLY MADE FUN OF FOR IT. In modern times when you’re from a big city it’s just fucking weird.

my rule for couples is that when they talk about their grandparents, they should never be talking about the same people.

31 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

When Jessa became pregnant so quickly after Spurgeon she made a comment that it looks like she has her mom's fertility. Glad that's not the case.

I think reality has hit all the Duggar daughters. Motherhood & marriage isn't as easy as they thought it was, all the saw of their parents was the easy stuff, because 1 their parents didn't parent, they delegated, their parents also had years of getting to know each other before getting married and having children, 1 thing they didn't allow their children to get before they were married or had kids. 

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

my rule for couples is that when they talk about their grandparents, they should never be talking about the same people.

I totally get where you are coming from with this, but if I think about why does it mater? Siblings frequently have similar likes and dislikes and similar beliefs and morals and things that are important to a successful relationship, so it would kind of make sense that siblings would marry siblings if they are all similar.  But then I think of what happened to an old coworker I worked, she & her older sister were married to brothers, and it was all hunky dory until her sister & BIL were having marital problems and divorced. That almost led to the break up of their marriage as the siblings were each taking their own siblings side in things.  Thankfully her sister and BIL were able to come to an amicable split for the sake of their kids and their siblings, they didn't want their marriage failure to end another marriage.  

I guess the TL:DR synopsis is you are right, while it seems like it would be logical on the surface, too much shit can go wrong causing too much drama. 

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

she & her older sister were married to brothers,

I thought @HerNameIsBuffy was posting about first cousins marrying (blood relations).  My great aunts married brothers (but not their own, lol!) and everything worked out fine. 

I don't really have any moral qualms with first cousins marrying, and I think it should be legal (it gets pretty iffy when you've got first cousins marrying over and over again down the generations, though)... but it's still weird to me. I can't even fathom marrying a first cousin. I didn't even grow up with the one who's my age and I've only met him like two or three times in my life, and I still can't fathom it. I don't know how you even get into that mindset. There's just too much genetic similarity there. And, like... his mother's my aunt. His mother is my dad's sister! How do you do that?

29 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

but if I think about why does it mater? Siblings frequently have similar likes and dislikes and similar beliefs and morals and things that are important to a successful relationship, so it would kind of make sense that siblings would marry siblings if they are all similar.

I wrote this in response to a post about cousins marrying.  if unrelated families want to intermarry I don't see anything wrong with that.

worked for the Ingalls and the Quiners.

A former colleague of mine was an identical twin. He and his brother married two sisters who were also their first cousins. And they all lived in the same house and had their first and second children within weeks of each other. My former colleague was British with a Pakistani background. I know marrying first cousins isn't terribly unusual in Pakistani communities here in the UK but that seems like so many shared genes in one extended family.

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't really have any moral qualms with first cousins marrying, and I think it should be legal (it gets pretty iffy when you've got first cousins marrying over and over again down the generations, though)... but it's still weird to me. I can't even fathom marrying a first cousin. I didn't even grow up with the one who's my age and I've only met him like two or three times in my life, and I still can't fathom it. I don't know how you even get into that mindset. There's just too much genetic similarity there. And, like... his mother's my aunt. His mother is my dad's sister! How do you do that?

I think pretty much no sex between consenting adults should be illegal, even though I find incest to be really really gross. 

I don't think this is how it happened historically, but I didn't meet one of my cousins until we were both teenagers.  At the wedding of another cousin.  We had no idea who each other were and started talking and kinda flirting and then my dad came up and said, "Oh, I see you've met your cousin Mark" (not his real name).  We looked at each other in horror and after a super awkward silence got out of that conversation as quickly as possible. 

I think there've been studies showing that close relatives who grow up separately are actually kinda likely to be attracted to each other.  It's weird and creepy. 

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I wrote this in response to a post about cousins marrying.  if unrelated families want to intermarry I don't see anything wrong with that.

worked for the Ingalls and the Quiners.

Oh I missed that, I thought we were talking about siblings marring siblings.  This is what I get for only 1/2 paying attention to what I'm reading. ?

We have had a first cousin marriage in our family. Both adults lost their spouses and relied on each other in grief and it just grew in to a beautiful relationship. There will be no children from the marriage and everyone in our family was very supportive.

I know an uncle-niece couple (not personally; the brother and niece of a neighbor). It was quite the scandal.

I was watching a documentary the other day about Genetic Sexual Attraction. The statistic was that 50% of siblings who werent raised together and meet later in life will have a strong romantic attraction. It's kind of crazy that its such a high percentage. 

Heres a link to the documentary if anyone wants to be fascinated and grossed out today:

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I am too coming from a country where first cousin marriages are legal. Full or half sibling or anything else (uncle/aunt/niece/grandparents....) is illegal. Reason is that in most of those cases some sort of power hierarchy is in place and the law tries to protect the weaker part from abuse. Cases where this close related people fall in love with each other are so very very rare. Often it’s siblings that only met as adults. 

Genetics don’t play a part for the law. And I think this is important. If you go down that road you easily end up taking reproducing rights from people that will likely pass on genetic defects, related or not. And after this, with today’s technology why not check everyone’s genetic code.... We can should never let this kind of mindset be brought back!!!!

7 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

This is just giving me daymares.

"Do you promise to boink like bunnies and chart your wife's ovulation and have relations frequently during her fertile time, so you can fill your quiver for God and produce as many babies as possible?

Do you promise to avoid medical advice and leave babies up to God (and strategic boinking) if your wife needs a C-section while resuming marital relations 40 or 80 days after birth?

Do you promise to always be in the mood?

Remember,anyone can fix him a sandwich.LOL

Duggars and Bates are both coming back on air this month aren’t they?

They both need ratings. That’s why no announcing.

I’m calling Josie. Her recent pictures look peaked, but then the Xmas shot was glowing and she had a loose dress. I never ever get a vibe. This once I have.

And then Abbie.

I could see Boob and Meechelle inviting the adult marrieds to come on some cult like marriage retreat to work on making babies their holy union. If nobody's knocked up right now there's either trouble in paradise, or Satan is laying it in somebody's heart to prevent conception (or building a fortress in their heart out of condoms and spermicidal lubricant).

Of course, Jana, Laura and Grandma Mary will be left looking after the TTH and all the kids.

4 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I’m calling Josie. Her recent pictures look peaked, but then the Xmas shot was glowing and she had a loose dress. I never ever get a vibe. This once I have.

And then Abbie.

I thought you meant Josie Duggar when you said this. I know they like to start 'em young, but she's nine for Rufus' sake!

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived