IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 36: The Drought Has Ended with Jessa's Announcement

Coconut Flan

It reminds of me Time Warner Cable switching to Spectrum Cable. Same exact over priced products and poor customer service under a different name. You’re not fooling anyone.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

And where does this idea come from that they are entitled to make money this way? Hello, we live in a free and capitalist society where the government grants you freedom of speech, but the other citizens of your nation can certainly impose consequences for every stupid and ignorant thing you choose to say. Nobody is getting these women fired from jobs or harassing them in the workplace. They are doing NOTHING productive to make money; they are trading on their name and receiving compensation when and if members of the public purchase something through their link, code or whatever. Well, guess what, these companies care about nothing but their bottom line and certainly don't owe the Duggars anything. Their views are far out of the mainstream of most Americans who can, and should, vote with their wallets.

If they need or want money, presumably they all have social security numbers and the jobs board is ----> thattaway.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

That's what always makes me laugh. This is exactly what they supposedly want: capitalism. The free market. You think a business should be able to refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple? Cool, then a business can refuse to employ you for something they or their customers find objectionable about you. But when you scratch the surface, their true motivations are revealed. Generally these so-called "libertarians" or evangelical Christians hiding behind the guise of the free market want the entire world to cater to them, and are the first ones to sob and whine that they're being oppressed when the free market turns against them. They don't want freedom, they want a dictatorship where they're in control and are free to do whatever they personally want.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I think it's purely a business decision - if the Duggars were getting them sales, Thrive would stick with them. They're not getting much in the way of sales, so Thrive cut them loose.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 2/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think the whole thing is shitty honestly, so they are trying to make a little money for themselves, just because we don't like someones politics doesn't mean we get to get them blackballed from every source of income.  Yes, their politics suck, and they suck as people, but they are entitled to earn money the same as everyone else weather we like it or not.  We can't force them to think like us or be accepting, what we can do is simply not help them earn money, so what if they have a partnership, use someone else code when shopping that site. It isn't rocket science they don't have THAT many fans, they aren't going to get rich off this. 

I was just going to comment along the same lines. Don't like it, don't use their code. Truth is, they do have a right to make money, just as much as the next guy and I don't think them promoting healthy eating has anything to do with their beliefs. Abbie shares the same shitty beliefs but nobody is saying don't employ her because she might rub those beliefs off on her patients. If she's a good nurse, her patients wouldn't know her belief system....

• Upvote 6

The good news is this will finally give the Duggar some needed insight and compassion for the gay couples who aren't getting wedding cakes. Right, Free Jinger, right??? Hey quit laughing you guys, I'm being serious. Sheesh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

I was just going to comment along the same lines. Don't like it, don't use their code. Truth is, they do have a right to make money, just as much as the next guy and I don't think them promoting healthy eating has anything to do with their beliefs. Abbie shares the same shitty beliefs but nobody is saying don't employ her because she might rub those beliefs off on her patients. If she's a good nurse, her patients wouldn't know her belief system....

I disagree with this. When they do these kinds of promotions, they are essentially earning money off of the fame that they've gained from their shitty beliefs leading to a TV show. On the other hand, Abbie is earning money off of her own work (and the education she had to be able to do it).

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4

Meh, a lot of people on Youtube post sponsored content for Thrive market. If they don't like the Duggars' content, they should also pay attention to some of the others. FullyRawKristina for example posted a video describing in detail how she wanted to keep her body totally clean so she had her wisdom teeth removed without the benefit of anesthesia or pain medication, she's also anti-vax and when she was bitten by a rabid dog while traveling, her companions had to MAKE her get treated for rabies. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. So they're not exactly hyper-vigilant on who they ask to promote them. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • WTF 6

On 2/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, AtlanticTug said:

And where does this idea come from that they are entitled to make money this way? Hello, we live in a free and capitalist society where the government grants you freedom of speech, but the other citizens of your nation can certainly impose consequences for every stupid and ignorant thing you choose to say. Nobody is getting these women fired from jobs or harassing them in the workplace. They are doing NOTHING productive to make money; they are trading on their name and receiving compensation when and if members of the public purchase something through their link, code or whatever. Well, guess what, these companies care about nothing but their bottom line and certainly don't owe the Duggars anything. Their views are far out of the mainstream of most Americans who can, and should, vote with their wallets.

If they need or want money, presumably they all have social security numbers and the jobs board is ----> thattaway.

I disagree. It’s the same as going into a shop telling the supervisor you will not shop there anymore because they employ someone. Just because it happens online doesn’t mean it hasn’t the same impact.

And while I also don’t think their online promotion should be called „holding a job“ at this stage it very well could become one. Honestly, just because they have been „lucky“ to already have a fanbase from their show doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it. That would mean to shut down hundreds of successful accounts.

This new form of online fame and making serious money from it is just a new way of work. You can be hard working or being totally lazy. But that is possible in many jobs. In an office job you even get the same salary for being lazy (minus the promotion).

I am unsure about the whole thing. I do think it’s ok to tell a company why you stop buying from them in a situation like this but sometimes it feels like people just write to them without ever having even considered buying their stuff. And I think that’s wrong. That’s like going into a shop you never frequent anyway and act as if they will loose you as customer. And I hate that people don’t mention Duggars and Bates. Because they are just the same.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 2/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, singsingsing said:

They don't want freedom, they want a dictatorship where they're in control and are free to do whatever they personally want.

Exactly, I had fight with a family member about this, I said "You don't want anyone telling you how to live your life, but sit down and let me tell you how you are going to live yours" of course her answer was "but my way is right":angry-banghead: Then there was some round about that, that is the problem, you aren't right, blah blah blah, and I wanted to stick a spork in my eye for even falling for her bull shit, I KNOW BETTER! 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 9

9 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

And I hate that people don’t mention Duggars and Bates. Because they are just the same.

The solution to a situation where two bigoted families are treated in such a way where one is allowed to continue to profit from their fame (which is directly tied to their bigotry) and one is not is most certainly NOT to permit both to profit, but to prohibit both from profiting. 

And if you don't think it's fair that people are picking on them? Life ain't fair, and like I said, if they need the cash, there are plenty of ways to make an honest buck. The economy is humming along just nicely as their main squeeze Trump tells us every day.

• Upvote 10

On 2/23/2019 at 12:16 AM, tabitha2 said:

No. It’s not all about Josh by a long snot. Josh is laying completely low and his wife posts innocuous cute kid photos. 

Those women and their husbands have said  wrote and preached  plenty damaging screed on their own on the Internet where everyone remembers and  nothing is forgotten.  Again, choices and consequences.

This is what irritates me, Anna was all about spewing the anti abortion crap. Until she 'had' to shut up (on social media) because of the Josh backlash. From what I can tell she keeps it quiet and keeps it cute so she can make money shilling for companies she no doubt would find morally reprehensible aka fablethics and Kate Hudson.

God is the almighty dollar

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I wonder if Thrive realized that paying multiple girls with the exact same audience is not that great of an advertising strategy. The overlap in followers between Jessa, Jinger etc. is surely quite strong and none of them bring a different demographic to the table. Sure, seeing something multiple times helps you gain familiarity with a product and potentially buy it, but seeing multiple Duggar girls giving the exact same pitch on the same night on Instagram felt forced and didn’t make me feel like these girls would use this product but for the sponsorship. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

To me Jinger is a low-key perfectionist and extremely self-aware of negative perceptions which she tries to mitigate...probably somewhat unconsciously. 

In other words, she’s tactful. 

Jessa has tact too but she’s more assertive in her approach. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

To me Jinger is a low-key perfectionist and extremely self-aware of negative perceptions which she tries to mitigate...probably somewhat unconsciously. 

In other words, she’s tactful. 

Jessa has tact too but she’s more assertive in her approach. 

In addition, Jessa has never presented as a perfectionist. No way would a perfectionist pile up dirty diapers, photograph and share such.

• Upvote 9

On 3/2/2019 at 6:15 AM, TheMustardCardigan said:

I wonder if Thrive realized that paying multiple girls with the exact same audience is not that great of an advertising strategy. The overlap in followers between Jessa, Jinger etc. is surely quite strong and none of them bring a different demographic to the table. Sure, seeing something multiple times helps you gain familiarity with a product and potentially buy it, but seeing multiple Duggar girls giving the exact same pitch on the same night on Instagram felt forced and didn’t make me feel like these girls would use this product but for the sponsorship. 

I got duped by Zach Bates with the advertisement stuff. They were talking about snacks on the couples' episode a week ago and he said he loved Easy Cheese on "Chicken in a Biskit" crackers and I was intrigued so I bought them. Today I was eating said snack and mid bite I noticed Easy Cheese was pictured on the back of the darn box. Realization that I'd been had by paid advertising was swift. Then I remembered Whitney posting a picture of herself and the kids in bed with a bunch of Nabisco products. I fell for that one hook, line, and sinker. 

Spoiler

Edited by lizzybee
spelling
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

On 2/25/2019 at 9:36 PM, lizzybee said:

Meh, a lot of people on Youtube post sponsored content for Thrive market. If they don't like the Duggars' content, they should also pay attention to some of the others. FullyRawKristina for example posted a video describing in detail how she wanted to keep her body totally clean so she had her wisdom teeth removed without the benefit of anesthesia or pain medication, she's also anti-vax and when she was bitten by a rabid dog while traveling, her companions had to MAKE her get treated for rabies. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. So they're not exactly hyper-vigilant on who they ask to promote them. 

FullyRawKristina would be an interesting thread drift (though she’s not connected to Christian fundamentalism at all.) She’s a bit of a nut, plain and simple, which makes me enjoy watching her on YT at times. But I assume underneath all her spiritual delusions and pseudoscientific crap, she’s in need of therapy. I’m no medical professional and have no idea what her issue might be or even if I’m right at all, but she sometimes describes symptoms or experiences that seem alarming (e.g. once she could hardky speak for days due to some sudden unexplained throat issue she often references problems with her mother that are now overcome yet still come up regularly, she seems to have nervous breakdowns and the list goes on) 

Just for those wondering: I’m not a vegan-bashing carnivore, let me make that clear ? I’m actually vegetarian and love (raw) vegan food. Home-made smoothies are LIFE! But FRK is still unhinged in my eyes. 

24 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

I got duped by Zach Bates with the advertisement stuff. They were talking about snacks on the couples' episode a week ago and he said he loved Easy Cheese on "Chicken in a Biskit" crackers and I was intrigued so I bought them. Today I was eating said snack and mid bite I noticed Easy Cheese was pictured on the back of the darn box. Realization that I'd been had by paid advertising was swift. Then I remembered Whitney posting a picture of herself and the kids in bed with a bunch of Nabisco products. I fell for that one hook, line, and sinker. 

Hide contents

That happens to the best of us! At least now you’re more aware of how sneaky advertising can be and avoid being caught next time. 

Btw, I think I’ve finally discovered the secret behind why adults don’t throw temper tantrums in cookie aisles; We're the ones with the wallets and buy the crap ? Not sure if Raffaelo are a thing in the US but... they certainly are in Germany and I love love love them. 

• Upvote 2

@FluffySnowball Yes, she is for sure a lot. She melts down often. I'm definitely not a vegan basher either. I'm actually a vegetarian/aspiring vegan which is how I found her in the first place. Vegans are cool and I'd like to someday be one. But yes, FRK gets a lot of paid advertisements and she's really out there sometimes. I agree she always seems just on the verge of a breakdown. She had a instagram post the other day where I couldn't even figure what was going on now (usually it's obvious) through all of the passive aggression. 

Spoiler

• Confused 1
  • Thank You 1

I keep wondering if any of the Duggar gals will donate some of their hair for wigs. They could get their bumpers to sponsor them and donate money and have a stylist come in and cut and style their hair. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

@FluffySnowball Yes, she is for sure a lot. She melts down often. I'm definitely not a vegan basher either. I'm actually a vegetarian/aspiring vegan which is how I found her in the first place. Vegans are cool and I'd like to someday be one. But yes, FRK gets a lot of paid advertisements and she's really out there sometimes. I agree she always seems just on the verge of a breakdown. She had a instagram post the other day where I couldn't even figure what was going on now (usually it's obvious) through all of the passive aggression. 

Reveal hidden contents

I heard her mentor is a white supremacist although I don’t know if that’s true. I was hesitant to write it at first cause that’s a shitty rumour if untrue -but now I wonder if you know more/have also heard it. 

Yes, I’m mainly vegan but not completely (just love sitting in coffee shops eating cake too much I guess) so I didn’t call myself that. Do i want to become vegan? On the one hand, I believe it’s the “best” choice morally and nutritionally but for me personally, I value having a relaxed relationship with food and don’t want to restrict myself too much. No meat at all is easy for me but just enjoying food as I do now is something I didn’t grow up with. So... I don’t think I’ll take the plunge into full time veganism. But then who knows, right? Lol

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

@FluffySnowball this guy? I googled him and didn't see anything but a youtube channel and a TN congressman by the same name. I don't know anything about him though. 

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Yes, I’m mainly vegan but not completely (just love sitting in coffee shops eating cake too much I guess) so I didn’t call myself that. Do i want to become vegan? On the one hand, I believe it’s the “best” choice morally and nutritionally but for me personally, I value having a relaxed relationship with food and don’t want to restrict myself too much. No meat at all is easy for me but just enjoying food as I do now is something I didn’t grow up with. So... I don’t think I’ll take the plunge into full time veganism. But then who knows, right? Lol

I feel the same way. I've taken the plunge into veganism a few times but haven't been able to stay with it for the reasons you stated. I don't miss meat at all, but like you I like the freedom to be relaxed enough to find something delicious anywhere. 

• Upvote 2

What do you think will be the next announce? A pregnancy or a courtship? And by who? For when I think it will be near the season endings that if I have count right should be in a couple of weeks...

I think next will be a pregnancy for JoKen then maybe Joy, then a courtship for the jed and jer and then the renew of the most boring show on TV. .. 

I have been vegetarian for years in my life, and looking back, it was not the healthiest way for me to live. I never found the key to avoiding carb overload. If I avoided the carbs, I was always hungry. For me, meat is a must. I applaud those who can avoid meat and carbs, feel satiated, and are not filled with the dreaded gas and bloating. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

What do you think will be the next announce? A pregnancy or a courtship? And by who? For when I think it will be near the season endings that if I have count right should be in a couple of weeks...

I think the next announcement will be Joe and Kendra expecting #2. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic