IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 36: The Drought Has Ended with Jessa's Announcement

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm Jewish. Every shabbos starts off with a prayer with wine. Let's see the rabbis drank vodka after my nephews Bar Mitzvah, at my friends wedding, even after my other nephews bris. Actually now that I think about it he used wine to dip a gauze and gave a drop to my nephew as anesthesia. I would say we're on the other end of the spectrum from the fundies anti-alcohol movement lol

we start 'em young

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand being weary around alcohol if you have addiction in your family. I am not a big drinker, but there are definitely people in my family who are alcoholics and I would never want to get to that point. Mind you, sometimes I just need a drink. 

12 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

That Mary and Joseph photo - talk about smug! But I still find this oldie but goldie even worse:

derick-jill-dillard-christmas-bump-ftr.j

(The tag on Jilly Muffin's baby bump says "To Jill and Derick, from God")

Oh look at that young, holy, precious couple, being so much better than the rest of us that God himself wanted to bless them with the next saviour.

I’ve said it before, but this is actually a pretty common photo for expectant Christian parents to take during the holidays. I can’t even tell you how many times I saw photos like this on Pinterest. The general thought behind it isn’t that they think they’re blessed with a savior baby, but that every baby is a gift from God. 

ETA: And I’m like 99.99999% sure Michelle and JimBob dressed up like Mary and Joseph because none of the married couples went with them on the mission trip this year. Can’t have any unwed kidults pretending to be expectant parents. 

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

We've seen the Duggar girls accessorize with large scarves/pashminas before, so we know they own things that would be MUCH less ridiculous and more accurate to use as head coverings, but no, M and JB use blankets and towels because either their Christmas pageant was choreographed by 5 year old me circa 1993, or they are lazy people who are so deathly afraid of looking "too Muslim" that they would rather put cheap fleece print blankets on their heads than something that makes sense.  

Reminds me of this dramatic nativity production: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/12/year-kenny-loggins-ruined-christmas.html 

It really says something if fundies refuse to actually dress up like Jesus and his parents for fear of appearing Muslim. Like it’s just a combination of this weird disrespect and hatred for an aspect of Jesus’ life and islamophobia. Somehow these people are too pure and good and holy to dress in Middle Eastern clothing but Jesus wasn’t? And fundies are too holy to work, but Jesus wasn’t. These assholes constantly act like they’re better than Jesus.

5 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm Jewish. Every shabbos starts off with a prayer with wine. Let's see the rabbis drank vodka after my nephews Bar Mitzvah, at my friends wedding, even after my other nephews bris. Actually now that I think about it he used wine to dip a gauze and gave a drop to my nephew as anesthesia. I would say we're on the other end of the spectrum from the fundies anti-alcohol movement lol

2 hours ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

we start 'em young

Newborns can enjoy wine too! Though whether or not Manischewitz can be enjoyed is a debate for another time. 

22 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

ETA: And I’m like 99.99999% sure Michelle and JimBob dressed up like Mary and Joseph because none of the married couples went with them on the mission trip this year. Can’t have any unwed kidults pretending to be expectant parents.

Even though Mary was a Virgin so no sex to make a baby is implied...

34 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

It really says something if fundies refuse to actually dress up like Jesus and his parents for fear of appearing Muslim. Like it’s just a combination of this weird disrespect and hatred for an aspect of Jesus’ life and islamophobia. Somehow these people are too pure and good and holy to dress in Middle Eastern clothing but Jesus wasn’t? And fundies are too holy to work, but Jesus wasn’t. These assholes constantly act like they’re better than Jesus.

Remember, their pictures of Jesus show fabulous hair, which is sometimes even blonde. Their images of Jesus they use don't even resemble what Middle Easterners (Jewish or not) look like in real life. Their images look much more European.

13 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I mean we've got Purim.....the point of which is to get so on your ass drunk that you can't tell the good guy from the bad. We as a people definitely indulge.

On the other hand, I can't imagine being a Jewish alcoholic in recovery. There is just no avoiding it.

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Remember, their pictures of Jesus show fabulous hair, which is sometimes even blonde. Their images of Jesus they use don't even resemble what Middle Easterners (Jewish or not) look like in real life. Their images look much more European.

"Stop fuckin' with Korean Jesus! He ain't got time for your problems, he's busy with Korean shit!" 

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Mary and Joseph were unwed expectant parents though. Probably in their teens. I’ve read that it’s likely Mary could have been as young as 12 or 13. 

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I once saw a video with a white, fundie man in America getting really angry with someone saying Jesus was Middle Eastern. He said his Jesus was not! And that there was freedom of religion in the US so he could believe what ever he wanted. :pb_rollseyes:

8 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

On the other hand, I can't imagine being a Jewish alcoholic in recovery. There is just no avoiding it.

My cousin is. He says the prayers with Kedem. He drinks a lot of it. Also when his son had his bris, my uncle did the alcohol part. Since he's a senior jewish male, the rabbis don't care. But I agree. It must be really difficult. I'm sure he's used to it but avoiding being around alcohol is impossible.

I am idly wondering what it will mean for the brand if the family start synching the year they get pregnant.  All 8 married couples could easily have a baby in 2019, and if they marry off the twins/Jana, 11 of them.  It *feels like* they're over the limit for any of the couples having 2 babies in the same year for '19, but they could have 2 pregnancies, I guess.  But I wonder what that would mean for the brand for 2020, if they follow their patterns?  I bet the dream would be 8 couples pregnant at the same time, but even 5 of them would be good for sales to magazines - but then what if there are no babies in 2020, would that be a problem?

I would also LOVE to know how Michelle & JB handled/are handling the "dry" spell - is there pressure on their kids?  What form would that take?  I do wonder what they will do when their first child tells them God has laid it on their heart to limit their family.  I guess it would be easier for a daughter, as her husband is her headship, so can decide, but I wonder how it would be taken?

14 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I would also LOVE to know how Michelle & JB handled/are handling the "dry" spell - is there pressure on their kids?  What form would that take?  I do wonder what they will do when their first child tells them God has laid it on their heart to limit their family.  I guess it would be easier for a daughter, as her husband is her headship, so can decide, but I wonder how it would be taken?

I dont think they can pressure the kids because its all gods will, right?  If he wanted them pregnant he would lay it on their hearts to make like bunnies... 

23 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Though whether or not Manischewitz can be enjoyed is a debate for another time. 

My mother dragged us all to Christmas Eve Mass this year, as she was v proudly a chalice bearer.  Sweet baby Rufus Manischewitz is LEAGUES better than whatever this church used.  There were a few moments when I wondered what the consequence might be if the blood of Christ made you vomit. ?

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I dont think they can pressure the kids because its all gods will, right?  If he wanted them pregnant he would lay it on their hearts to make like bunnies... 

This is what I'm fascinated about.  My partner had a fundy phase, and in her church, the personal relationship with God was the primary thing, BUT with an untrained person getting to mediate whether it was God speaking to them or not.  So one could pray a lot about an issue and feel that God was saying one thing, but the youth group leader (eg) would then mediate it - so if the leader didn't agree, they'd say no, that was Satan.  It was so weird - have that personal relationship, when God speaks to you, but someone else can make a snap decision about you.

So I always wonder about the fundies we follow.  Like if, IDK, Alyssa said that God had laid it on her heart to limit her family, would her parents accept it?  How would it be different if Zach said it?  And it comes back to that fundy hypocrisy, where they're "accepting as many children as God thinks they can handle", but the parents did everything they can to get pregnant - would they see *not* tracking their fertility, and having sex at the most fertile time as preventing?  I guess a daughter can say "my husband wasn't in the mood" and that *should* be accepted, but they've all been brought up that women should always be joyfully available....

11 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Mary and Joseph were unwed expectant parents though. Probably in their teens. I’ve read that it’s likely Mary could have been as young as 12 or 13. 

I once saw a video with a white, fundie man in America getting really angry with someone saying Jesus was Middle Eastern. He said his Jesus was not! And that there was freedom of religion in the US so he could believe what ever he wanted. :pb_rollseyes:

Yeah, but I doubt the Duggars would care. I just get the feeling they wouldn’t be ok with their unmarried kid(s) portraying an expectant couple - especially an unmarried daughter portraying a pregnant woman. 

The "laying it on our hearts" thing seems like manipulative mumbo jumbo to me. From the outside at least, it seems like it's a way to attribute a particular feeling or desire for something as coming from God when really it's coming from a person. For instance... Jill and Derick's web site says "God has placed international missions on our hearts" on the home page. Do they really feel like a higher power pushed international missions on them? Or does Derick just love to travel, has wanderlust, and despises working in an office? And I don't think Jill ever felt truly called to living in Central America... if anything this was "laid on her heart" by Derick or she was doing it to please Derick like the young girl falling for her first love that she was.

Similarly, how often was it "laid on the Duggar children's hearts" to be obedient to their parents, memorize psalms, or whatever else because JB and Michelle kept lecturing them about it?

I found this on the Duggar Snark reddit. The poster there said the bags read: "If you died tonight, would you spend eternity in heaven or in HELL?"

HN8DFXL.jpg

27 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I found this on the Duggar Snark reddit. The poster there said the bags read: "If you died tonight, would you spend eternity in heaven or in HELL?"imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7

imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7

Looks like Steve Maxwell has a new side hustle.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It looks as if someone decided to drive the school bus into the river. Perhaps to get away from the Duggers?

Maintenance? We don't need to do maintenance! God will provide a way for the bus to stop if the brakes go out.

Interesting thoughts about alcohol from everyone.  I come from a Catholic family that was fine with drinking, but there is some alcoholism in earlier generations on my mother’s side.  I grew up in the Just Say No 80s and all the talk in health class, etc. really scared me about the effects of alcohol on my body and brain.  I would also go to events where I saw people get drunk, or hear about dumb stuff my friends did under the influence at parties, and I swore I would never allow myself to drink that much.  I am not saying I never drank anything in high school or college, but it would only be one or two and it had to be a drink I really enjoyed like a nice wine or a cocktail of my choosing (I never liked beer and still don’t)

in in college I had a friend whose parents scarred her even worse.  They made it sound like my friend would become an alcoholic if she even tried it.  She could get a bit uppity about other people drinking, especially  they were close to her, whom she thought shared her moral values.  She did loosen up over the years realizing that alcohol drinking loved ones did not die of liver disease or become raging alcoholics, and tried a sip here and there, but she never liked the taste, so didn’t see the point.

I find it interesting that some people are raised to hate alcohol and it has the opposite effect and makes them want to binge drink all the more.

To this day I still won’t get drunk.  I like a light buzz, but I freak out if I think I’m starting to lose control.  It doesn’t take much to get me buzzed.  A glass or two of wine or a cocktail does it for me.  My husband doesn’t drink due to health reasons, so I only drink when I’m out.

I’m not fond of virgin cocktails.  Too sweet.  I like having alcohol to cut that sweetness.  If I don’t want to drink, I go for sparkling water.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived