IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 36: The Drought Has Ended with Jessa's Announcement

Coconut Flan

That's not a mission trip... that's just a vacation on which they are badgering people about the right way to believe.

F*ck them!!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It tells you all you need to know about this idiot girl's home school education that she can't believe the Greeks, the people who arguably made the greatest contribution to Western democracy, philosophy and principles of law and justice, are "clinging" to their culture. 

Ok PLEASE tell me she got comments to open her little mind up to what she is actually saying. Does she not realize how "rude" that was??

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Obviously, the Greeks have the wrong Jesus. I'm always amazed that these fundies have no respect for any religion but their own narrow view.

[bold mine]

I'm adding that to my list of potential names for my future, fictional rock band.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:46 AM, miss_batson said:

Did anyone noticed Jason went do Greece on a mission trip (whatever ?) with Austin's parents and Lauren Caldwell? There are some other people as well, but i guess Jason is the one who will eventually marry Lauren Caldwell. There has been a lot of speculations about which Duggar boy she'll marry, i also thought it's gonna be one of the twins, but know i think it could be Jason. And the next thing they'll announce will be courthip beetween these two tooooo young people.
tumblr_pnviihj4lb1qet7nn_1280.jpg

Hide contents

tumblr_pnviijLQwu1qet7nn_1280.jpg

Hide contents

tumblr_pnviijDxSb1qet7nn_1280.jpg

I can't believe JoKen and little G didn't go along and relive their honeymoon.  I guess the single boys and single ladies were allowed to go because of the Forsyth supervision.  Are Jason and Lauren Caldwell 18 yet? 

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I can't believe JoKen and little G didn't go along and relive their honeymoon.  I guess the single boys and single ladies were allowed to go because of the Forsyth supervision.  Are Jason and Lauren Caldwell 18 yet? 

Jason is from April 2000, and will turn 19 next month. Lauren Caldwell is from May 2000, and will turn 19 in two months. 

7 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Jason is from April 2000, and will turn 19 next month. Lauren Caldwell is from May 2000, and will turn 19 in two months. 

Barf. So we could see a summer courtship, a fall wedding, and a 19 year old knocked up by Christmas, right?

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Barf. So we could see a summer courtship, a fall wedding, and a 19 year old knocked up by Christmas, right?

Sounds about right. 

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

And this one is real special judging by her idiocy on Instagram. Derick may need to up his game.

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Just like Joy.  Though her headship was like 23 or 24. 

17 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

(Credit to r/DuggarsSnark for this)

The other girl in the picture is apparently someone named Madison Nicole. Here is what she had to say about this mission trip.

Those damn Greeks clinging to their damn culture! 

If only they would get Jesus. Damn their culture and spiritual beliefs, they are wrong. 

3 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Ok PLEASE tell me she got comments to open her little mind up to what she is actually saying. Does she not realize how "rude" that was??

I sincerely hope that every server at every restaurant she went to made sure that the flavor profile of the Greek cuisine she sampled veered heavily towards human saliva. 

13 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Okay I was confused because I read the Greek orthodox church is within the wider Eastern Orthodoxy which is officially the Orthodox catholic church. I understand now that Greek orthodox is not catholic and the main differences are the Pope as the head in Catholicism and Jesus as the head in GO, and the liturgical language used. Right?I really don't know, I knos there is a lot of theology and history to this. I know the fundamentalists reject Catholicism. And it's because of the difference in the way to salvation. I just get so confused. So that's why I sincerely ask, can anyone explain why the fundies think both the Catholics and the Greek Orthodox are missing the key to salvation and/or Jesus. In simple terms, what is the big difference/ differences that they care about (especially in terms of salvation)?

Not an expert at all but I think I can help a little!  

A few things!

1.  The Pope is the head in the Catholic and in the Eastern Orthodox church they have patriarchs (which are similar to the pope but there are several since the EO church isn't one large church but has many branches in different countries.)

2.  I think the official name is confusing because they use the word "catholic" but "catholic" just means "universal" (although it's usually associated with the Roman Catholic Church.)  Another confusing example of this is in the Nicene Creed which many non-Roman Catholics say during their services and which states "I believe in one catholic and apostolic church."  

3. Re: Salvation There's a belief in Protestantism about being saved by grace not by works.  Basically, as I understand it, it means that there's no way to earn a spot in heaven.  Nothing that we could do as imperfect people would be good enough and so the only way to be saved is by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8-9).  If you accept that grace and are "born again" (which means different things to different people/groups) you are saved.  Many Protestants think that Catholics believe you can "earn" heaven through your "good works." I think this is not actually true and they're misunderstanding Catholic doctrine which seems more like if you have faith in Jesus you should pair that with good works (James 2:17). Although, to be fair, during the Reformation, Roman Catholic practice was heavily focused on the "works" side of things. (The extreme example of this being the selling of indulgences to "erase" sins.  I always felt like maybe they believed donating money to the Church was a good work and therefore helped them get into heaven because that's the only way I can make sense of that practice.)  I know a lot less about Greek Orthodoxy but I believe they have a similar view to the Catholics on the grace vs. works issue.  These "missionaries" were probably saying that the Greek people haven't had a particular "born again" experience and haven't decided at any one particular moment to have faith in Jesus and so aren't "saved."

Hope this is maybe helpful?  Glad I could put my Religious Studies minor to work today!! LOL

I am not sure if this is a common idea, but it was once explained to me that Catholicism places priests and the pope between people and God. This prevents the creation of the ‘personal relationship with Jesus’ all Christians should be striving for. By being born again and accepting Christ as your ‘personal’ savior you are negating the need for a church at all. I think this is also why home churches can be popular in these groups. I think this translates into telling Catholics and other denominations they don’t need threir Church, just a new relationship with Jesus. I still have no idea how that plays out in practice. 

*Disclaimer - I am an atheist repeating what a devout born-again relative once told me when we discussed this issue. 

Thanks @ModestisHottest! And @HerNameIsBuffy. Your posts answered my questions. I think I understand why the missionaries think they are there... the people there aren't being saved the right way. I wanted to know what they had wrong about salvation according to the fundies. So it is essentially the same as why the Catholics are wrong, but with its own Greek culture and history thrown in there holding them back from salvation also. 

So they are hardened to (not receiving) salvation + grace, and one reason is because they cling to their own culture too much, and are too tied to their church. Ahhh. So the teenagers from America are there to tell them they can let go of all that and receive salvation and grace from Jesus directly if they are born again. 

Their salvation+grace pipe is plugged up and the teenage missionaries are there to tell them how to unclog it. There is probably a terrible back up of S+G on the other end by now that just can't get through. 

When I was growing up as Catholic I always heard that eastern orthodox, Greek orthodox, Russian orthodox, etc. had the "right" beliefs but didn't believe in the Pope. As far as I know, their core beliefs are the same, but they have different drifted apart somewhat over time (slightly different wording during sacraments, different formats based on culture such as icons, etc.)

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

How old is Lauren Duggar’s sister?  I  just assume she will end of with a Duggar also.

14 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

When I was growing up as Catholic I always heard that eastern orthodox, Greek orthodox, Russian orthodox, etc. had the "right" beliefs but didn't believe in the Pope. As far as I know, their core beliefs are the same, but they have different drifted apart somewhat over time (slightly different wording during sacraments, different formats based on culture such as icons, etc.)

Yes, I was told that the schism is less than that between Catholics and Protestants. My understanding is that there are a lot more Catholic priests who will participate in a joint Catholic-Orthodox wedding than a Catholic-Protestant one. 

28 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Yes! According to one of my favorite websites, canonlawmadeeasy.com , there's a lot of overlap here.  For example, the Roman Catholic Church recognizes that a mass in an Orthodox church is valid (although they still say Roman Catholics should go to a Catholic mass) and if a Catholic is married in an Orthodox ceremony it is a valid marriage (requiring an annulment if it ends) as opposed to a Catholic married to a Protestant which would be invalid for the Catholic according to the Church.  

(Something that I get irrationally angry about is that the RC Church considers my husband to be living in a state of mortal sin with me because we had a Protestant wedding even though he doesn't consider himself Catholic anymore but was baptized Catholic as a baby.  I know I shouldn't care but something about that just burns me up!)

My husband was raised Orthodox and I learned something very interesting about the different perspective on heaven and hell in that faith tradition compared to either the Roman Catholic church or protestantism. Basically, after judgement day and the second coming, everyone will be resurrected and subjected to the divine light of Jesus Christ. For the saved, this will be pure bliss and joy. But for those who have sinned, this light will feel like a burning fire. God himself does not damn anyone to a place called hell and he extends his grace and love to all. Instead, an individual through their own actions and sins unfortunately puts themselves in the position of feeling Jesus's light as painful suffering.

Interesting, right? I find it much more appealing than what's come out of the West when it comes to Salvation and Damnation. So that might be part of the "wrong" take on salvation that they were talking about in the Instagram post.

Now if only the priest didn't chant for HOURS at weddings and funerals, going to Orthodox services would be alright. 

4 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

And then even within Orthodoxy there are schisms/differences in belief. The Old Believers in Russia broke away because of changes in rituals to make Russian Orthodoxy more like Greek Orthodoxy -- the most famous one is that before the 1650s, Russian Orthodox adherents would make the Sign of the Cross with just two fingers (like a slightly bendy peace sign), but the Church decided to change it to three fingers like it's done in Greek Orthdoxy. There's a painting of a female Old Believer being arrested, where she's defiantly making the old Sign of the Cross, and a peasant sitting on the ground in the foreground of the painting is looking at her and holding up two fingers as well, as a sign of solidarity with her. How uncultured am I that my first thought was "this is like that scene in The Hunger Games where Katniss holds up the three fingers"? 

I am very bored by the Duggars at the moment. They are always boring people but at least we had something to talk about since there is always something happening in the family. For the last year 8 months we had a boring wedding and a 3rd baby announcement. The only thing worth talking about was SiRens miscarriage.

Although it is very good that they are all slow in announcing more courtships (except for Jana, they are all way to young to get married anyway) and babies (the longer it takes the smaller the quivers will be), I kind of want something to happen. And I hate myself for it. ?

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Because you just know he really saw her heart in this mission trip! 

9 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Now if only the priest didn't chant for HOURS at weddings and funerals, going to Orthodox services would be alright. 

Seriously! My cousin had an Orthodox wedding and man did that go on forever. Hard to sit through.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived