IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 36: The Drought Has Ended with Jessa's Announcement

Coconut Flan

Re the fashion thing; I can only describe my sense of style as what it is 'lesbian pet professional'. I wear almost exclusively jeans and t-shirts with Oasics walking shoes - the pair actually changes every month but the style and color have been the same for nearly 4 years now. A combination of necessity (working with animals all day and being on my feet all day) and comfort (Jeans are the most comfortable thing I can stand to leave the house in. Though being that I'm a self employed pet professional i could leave the house in my pajamas the dogs wouldn't care.) On the rare occasions I do wear a dress or a skirt I feel so very out of place, but i also haven't updated my collection of dresses and skirts since my freshman year of high school so safe to say they're now ill fitting, out of style and far too young for me. 

As for mustard, it's not a color I can pull off but my sister wears it wonderfully - though I have yet to find a color that my sister doesn't wear wonderfully. And I like mustard as a color but that stripe mustard dress is atrocious in my opinion (which considering the above probably shouldn't count for much ?) Anything with horizontal strips is right out for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I’m really on the fence about the cancellation for all of the Duggarettes. Yes, they have shitty beliefs that tread on the rights of others, but I think Jinger was a decent spokesperson for the company. Jill and Joy, no, but Jinger has been a health nut for a good, long time. Nixing all of them d/t public outcry vs for individual deficits seems far too punitive and reactive. We can’t have it both ways; bitch about them being lazy and then contribute to getting them fired once they secure employment. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

IMo She has most likely been a health nut because she knows people bitch about the Duggars eating habits and wants good publicity and/or Jeremy requires it. I don’t think she should get a pass. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

IMo She has most likely been a health nut because she knows people bitch about the Duggars eating habits and wants good publicity and/or Jeremy requires it. I don’t think she should get a pass. 

Coffee consumption aside, she had decent eating habits before Jeremy was on the scene.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Have we forgotten the picture of Jinger at the TTH wearing track pants? She probably worked out pretty regularly. Michelle sure did.

There's this narrative that they always ate crap but that really didn't apply so much to the older sisters. Being thin and looking pretty was important in Gothardism I believe. The older sisters often ate salad, not tater tot casserole. If they did eat the unhealthy stuff it was likely in small portions. 

• Upvote 8

I feel a bit like it's unfair that they all get cancelled whenever they promote anything, when the bates continue to promote/be sponsored by various other companies and they literally share the same beliefs. It made sense with Jessa and Jinger since they seem to have become more health conscious over the years, and I'd rather see them promoting healthy eating over skinny tea or other detox scams.

• Upvote 19

Thrive looked like a decent company, at least when I read the wiki. They said they gave a membership out for every one for that was purchased. I was vaguely hoping they stood for something. I appreciate them acknowledging and ending the relationship.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

I feel a bit like it's unfair that they all get cancelled whenever they promote anything, when the bates continue to promote/be sponsored by various other companies and they literally share the same beliefs. It made sense with Jessa and Jinger since they seem to have become more health conscious over the years, and I'd rather see them promoting healthy eating over skinny tea or other detox scams.

Or Jinger and Ben. It seems they have been the most consistent healthy eaters, cooks and advocates in the group.

• Upvote 3

The only one of the girls who hasn't shown any interest in healthy eating or exercise is Jill. We've seen several pics of Joy working out as well, especially once Ben came along, and Joy, unlike her sisters seems to pick up weight much easier than they do.  She's following the example of Jessa and Jinger and doing something better for herself, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I think the whole thing is shitty honestly, so they are trying to make a little money for themselves, just because we don't like someones politics doesn't mean we get to get them blackballed from every source of income.  Yes, their politics suck, and they suck as people, but they are entitled to earn money the same as everyone else weather we like it or not.  We can't force them to think like us or be accepting, what we can do is simply not help them earn money, so what if they have a partnership, use someone else code when shopping that site. It isn't rocket science they don't have THAT many fans, they aren't going to get rich off this. 

• Upvote 16

yeah wait . . . why don't the Bates' girls get their stuff cancellation? They have the same beliefs too! I wonder if anyone has ever commented on Thrive's FB about the Bates girls? 

• Upvote 15

^^^^This.  And as someone previously noted, they don’t self-reflect each time this happens.  Each instance  just reinforces their status as Persecuted Christians(tm). 

They don’t learn anything nor will they change when people shut them down like this.  If anything, they’ll just double down on their beliefs.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

^^^^This.  And as someone previously noted, they don’t self-reflect each time this happens.  Each instance  just reinforces their status as Persecuted Christians(tm). 

They don’t learn anything nor will they change when people shut them down like this.  If anything, they’ll just double down on their beliefs.

YES! I've found with people like this you are much more likely to get them to listen to you if you kill them with kindness, than beat them with hate. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Apparently Thrive Market has cancelled their paid sponsorships with the Duggars:

thrive.png.e04ca4f6a318ee91da5c9915851366da.png

I don't even know what this company is, but I am curious as to whether they heard from lots of other people or if they reacted based only off of one post. 

• Upvote 8

22 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I don't even know what this company is, but I am curious as to whether they heard from lots of other people or if they reacted based only off of one post. 

I did see another picture of them responding to a different person with the same message.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Thrive knew who they were before they hired them, so they obviously don’t care about their beliefs. If Jessa and Jinger are losing sponsorships, so should all of the Bates women as others have said. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I agree, @Illmarryyoujana. Thrive must have known they had hateful beliefs before they partnered up (the whole molestation and joshley scandal is more famous than the Duggars themselves, at this point) but they only let them go when other customers reacted. In which case they dropped all Duggars like a hot potato. I think that's kind of crappy on Thrive's part, to be honest. Sure, you don't care about their hateful beliefs at first, but as soon as someone notices, you fire them? It's just very reactionary. And as much as I despise their beliefs, I'm all for any woman in that cult having a source of income independently from her husband (and TLC).

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I feel like the Bates get a pass from companies because they don't have a massive scandal like Josh's molestation scandal. I know that Gil has a shady as fuck past with IBLP and covering up sexual abuse and other things to do with Gothard, but unfortunately, it's just not as famous. They all have the same shitty ass beliefs, I am sure that the Bates don't shun Josh, they may not be posting that they are with him on Facebook Live/Instagram, but I doubt they have turned their backs on him. So the fact that they get a pass all the time actually pisses me off. 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Bobology said:

Definitely "PCS"... I wouldn't expect any reflection beyond that.

I see now other PCS are onto thrive saying we are christian and we wont shop with you for dumping our PCS breathren

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Sure, they probably knew about the molestation scandal, but they may not have known Jill and Jessa went on TV to defend Josh and minimize child sexual abuse as a 'mistake'.  That is a completely different animal.  Thrive probably just went off of the number of IG followers they had and really didn't know a whole lot about them other than them being a kooky religious family.

The Bates get a pass because they're better at marketing themselves, plain and simple.  

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I feel like the Bates get a pass from companies because they don't have a massive scandal like Josh's molestation scandal. I know that Gil has a shady as fuck past with IBLP and covering up sexual abuse and other things to do with Gothard, but unfortunately, it's just not as famous. They all have the same shitty ass beliefs, I am sure that the Bates don't shun Josh, they may not be posting that they are with him on Facebook Live/Instagram, but I doubt they have turned their backs on him. So the fact that they get a pass all the time actually pisses me off. 

What’s so unfair though is that the *victims* of that scandal are the ones being hurt once again. This time financially. I know a lot of the comments from people are actually about what Josh did and not just their beliefs. Do they not realize they’re railing against the victims when they tell companies to drop them?

3 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Sure, they probably knew about the molestation scandal, but they may not have known Jill and Jessa went on TV to defend Josh and minimize child sexual abuse as a 'mistake'.  That is a completely different animal.  Thrive probably just went off of the number of IG followers they had and really didn't know a whole lot about them other than them being a kooky religious family.

The Bates get a pass because they're better at marketing themselves, plain and simple.  

Jessa and Jill were victims of the abuse and raised in a cult where they were taught it wasn’t a big deal. I’m not really here to punish how abuse victims react to said abuse. JB and Michelle get full blame. So does Josh. The women who were abused in numerous ways as children? No. Not in the case of how they speak on their abuse. They were hurt. They didn’t receive counselling. They were *raised in a cult*. They get some slack on this particular issue. 

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

We all raised in a certain way for better or worse and many plenty hurt as children but then we grow up and and become adults ultimately responsible for our own choices, thoughts and actions.  It’s not like they need the money .No one forced these women to shill products by using their notariety and companies don’t want to be associated with the Duggar name.Don’t say as I blame them.

• Upvote 6

No. It’s not all about Josh by a long snot. Josh is laying completely low and his wife posts innocuous cute kid photos. 

Those women and their husbands have said  wrote and preached  plenty damaging screed on their own on the Internet where everyone remembers and  nothing is forgotten.  Again, choices and consequences.

• Upvote 8

On 2/20/2019 at 7:44 PM, SassyPants said:

I’m really on the fence about the cancellation for all of the Duggarettes. Yes, they have shitty beliefs that tread on the rights of others, but I think Jinger was a decent spokesperson for the company. Jill and Joy, no, but Jinger has been a health nut for a good, long time. Nixing all of them d/t public outcry vs for individual deficits seems far too punitive and reactive. We can’t have it both ways; bitch about them being lazy and then contribute to getting them fired once they secure employment. 

I don’t care if Jinger subsists on only kale and cacao nibs. She promotes her Catholic-hating husband and his other vile views and that’s enough.

The Bates family should also not be compensated for their revolting views. Cancel them all.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Not sure what I think about the Thrive booting, but Counting On was launched in the interest of protecting the victims’ livelihoods, and it was almost instantly converted into a showcase of JB and Michelle’s ideologies while (if you believe Derick) the victims weren’t actually profiting. It made me a bit cynical toward the idea that having a media presence is actually helping the second gen Duggars.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic