IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

I would hope he'd have better memories of his dad that he made in the what, 19 years he had with him? Pistol Pete always seemed like an ego thing.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I would hope he'd have better memories of his dad that he made in the what, 19 years he had with him? Pistol Pete always seemed like an ego thing.

I agree that it seems like an ego thing, but symbols are also important to people, and since his dad was Pistol Pete before him, that's a pretty powerful personal symbol...

3 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Saw this NY Times opinion piece and thought of Jill watching church services on her computer. If Derick is unable to go, does she not go with the kids? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/15/opinion/sunday/church-live-streaming-religion.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

What’s weird/interesting to me about these church live-streams is that in Judaism ceasing all work on shabbat includes the use of electronic devices. This is mainly in more religious circles, but a practice that’s used in my synagogue. So a member of the congregation couldn’t turn lights or a microphone on and off, and you get in trouble if you use your phone. Clergy members also live a walking distance from the synagogue so they don’t have to drive. So if Christians and Jews are supposed to follow the same rules about ceasing work on the sabbath, streaming services would be a major no-no. Basically the Jewish equivalent of how religious fundies are would never do this, and would be appalled. 

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What’s weird/interesting to me about these church live-streams is that in Judaism ceasing all work on shabbat includes the use of electronic devices. This is mainly in more religious circles, but a practice that’s used in my synagogue. So a member of the congregation couldn’t turn lights or a microphone on and off, and you get in trouble if you use your phone. Clergy members also live a walking distance from the synagogue so they don’t have to drive. So if Christians and Jews are supposed to follow the same rules about ceasing work on the sabbath, streaming services would be a major no-no. Basically the Jewish equivalent of how religious fundies are would never do this, and would be appalled. 

My religious side of the family would never watch a service on the computer. That would require using electricity. I have a cousin that locks her phone away for shabbat. I personally can't do it. But that's crazy self control.

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What’s weird/interesting to me about these church live-streams is that in Judaism ceasing all work on shabbat includes the use of electronic devices. This is mainly in more religious circles, but a practice that’s used in my synagogue. So a member of the congregation couldn’t turn lights or a microphone on and off, and you get in trouble if you use your phone.

I somewhat regularly watch a livestream service from an LA synagogue.  :)  It's reform though.  

On 12/15/2018 at 11:40 PM, bella8050 said:

There also needs to be a #bestthreadever at some point. 

Jill and Derick are having a mini vaca in Missouri. (saw her IG live story) Let's hope she doesn't come back expecting Dilly #3.

I read this really fast and thought, why are they having a mini cow?

And as for Derek's Pistol Pete tie tack--they were at a wedding in Oklahoma and he wanted to remind everyone that he was once a celebrity at the 2nd biggest university in the state.

24 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I read this really fast and thought, why are they having a mini cow?

And as for Derek's Pistol Pete tie tack--they were at a wedding in Oklahoma and he wanted to remind everyone that he was once a celebrity at the 2nd biggest university in the state.

Glory daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyys *epic synth riff* 

I don't know. I can't give DWreck too much grief over a Pistol Pete tie tack. It could be something they sold in the school bookstore.

I'd wear my nursing school pin if I could. It's beautiful, it means a lot to me, but I no longer wear a uniform or lab coat to put it on, and it doesn't work as jewelry. Well, it could as a small brooch  but it is not meant to be worn that way and I can't get past that. It is, however, THE piece of jewelry I'd want to wear in my coffin, and the one piece of jewelry I'd be buried with, were I being buried.

Oh, no. Did I just defend DWreck?

Thread drift topic: What piece of jewelry would you be buried with or not, and why? 

They can have my rings, but my nursing school pins (I have two) are MINE....

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Thread drift topic: What piece of jewelry would you be buried with or not, and why? 

I'm not planning to take anything with me, but I'm also planning the torch-method rather than taking up valuable (and wayyyyy overpriced) real estate. I have a list of places where I want my ashes scattered.

New pic and story. They went to Silver Dollar City for the weekend. Saw a newborn nephew, got little caesar's pizza and went to a park, and took photos of themselves while D-Wreck was donning his hat backwards. #YAYYYYYYY If that's a weekend getaway we've been doing it all wrong all these years. ?

3 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Derick looks so different in that picture! Maybe his jaw shenanigans are finally working themselves out. 

Nope. It's just because his mouth is shut and he's not smiling. Still WAY off-center.

21 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm not planning to take anything with me, but I'm also planning the torch-method rather than taking up valuable (and wayyyyy overpriced) real estate. I have a list of places where I want my ashes scattered.

I have a list of special friends who are to each receive a portion of my ashes after cremation, with instruction to dump them wherever they think I’d find most hilarious. My favorite people are too scattered to make any kind of memorial service at all practical, so I like the idea of giving those closest to me a 1 on 1 chance to say goodbye in a way that’ll (hopefully) help them remember the laughter instead of the tears. 

10 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

New pic and story. They went to Silver Dollar City for the weekend. Saw a newborn nephew, got little caesar's pizza and went to a park, and took photos of themselves while D-Wreck was donning his hat backwards.

Gotdammit! You left out the selfiekissing! And now my brain is (once again) scarred from their PDA. lol

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nope. It's just because his mouth is shut and he's not smiling. Still WAY off-center.

I was going to say it looks dislocated in that photo.

44 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm like burn and turn me into a tree, or dump me or put me on your mantle dont' care what ever you want, I won't know or care what you do with the ashes, just don't waste the money on a cemetery plot, casket and concrete tomb.

If only this place had a contraption to keep his mouth shut! 

9A58892A-3F3B-417D-BD29-B358D35532CF.thumb.jpeg.790570a9c7a2a79446afbd552a246a57.jpeg

The only piece of jewerly I have that I really love, is my grandmothers ring that has the birthstone of her kids on it. Hopefully I will have kids and leave it to them. 

If I were to be buried, I want to be buried with an open book in my hands, up to my face like I'm reading with my "Just one more chapter" necklace to scare the be-jesus out of someone if they happen to crack me open.

I want to be cremated.  Even as a child, my family had a joke that I must  have been buried alive in previous life.  I am really claustrophobic and when I was a kid, my bed could not be against any walls because if I woke up during the night facing a wall, I would scream and cry the house down.  So I'd take ALL of my precious jewels with me, just as a "ha, ha" to my family.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived