IGNORED

Maxwell 27: Increasing the Clan

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

BEC moment about life in general & not just the Maxwells:  why in 2018 don’t women’s coats have pockets sufficient to hold IDs, phone, Kleenex, chapstick & keys?  NRAnna has that behemoth hanging off her shoulder, why? She & Pris don’t have the kids along, so she doesn’t need probably 7/8ths of the contents of that thing!

Which is exactly why I bought several of these as Christmas gifts this year.  My son-in-law called it "The Ninja Scarf," when I told him I'd ordered one for my daughter. 

IMG_1793.PNG

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m completely over the giant purse trend too. I hate carrying around more than I need. And giant purses eat things! I can’t ever find my keys in giant purses. I wonder if NRAnna was sneaking in a few snacks to save money. I bet Steve would have freaked out if he saw.

That purse counts as giant?! Oh damn. I'm glad you guys will never see my purse! Look, I need SPACE, okay? My purse needs to be able to fit books, work materials, unopened mail, mittens, a tuque, a makeshift first aid kit... :pb_lol:

8 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

One thing that irks more than anything about the Maxwell blog posts is their tendency to blog about their intention to blog about something. 

Yep!  <Taps foot> Still waiting anxiously for the post about using a pizza slicer to chop lettuce!  <Taps foot some more>

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

That purse counts as giant?! Oh damn. I'm glad you guys will never see my purse! Look, I need SPACE, okay? My purse needs to be able to fit books, work materials, unopened mail, mittens, a tuque, a makeshift first aid kit... :pb_lol:

Heh. Me too!  I am TRYING to scale down/do without, thus the pocket scarf thing; but I do love a big purse. My sister says she carries a purse and I carry luggage. ? BUT, I often get the last laugh. All the women who laugh at my "luggage" turn to ME when they need something when we're out. THAAAAAAT'S RIIIIIIGHT!! Tylenol? Tampon? Sewing kit? Granola bar? Tape measure?  If you need any of those, you turn to the woman with the BIG purse. 

Still, the pocket scarf is pretty nifty. *shrugs shoulders* I'll probably fill that scarf AND carry my big bag. Heh. 

I hated having to drag around our stupid diaper bag for 5 years straight. So once I didn’t need it anymore, I decided to buy a smaller purse too! I used to carry around a decent sized purse and a huge diaper bag. And it drove me nuts. I feel so free with a small purse now. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Right? Mine's not as big as hers, but still...I need room for nausea meds, heartburn meds, eyedrops, pads, wallet, phone...I never put my ID, debit card, etc. in a coat pocket. Too easy for someone to steal my personal info if I take off the coat or hang it over a chair in public. 

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Can we just call you Mary Poppins from now on?

6 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Can we just call you Mary Poppins from now on?

I only wish I were as cool as Mary Poppins.

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Right? Mine's not as big as hers, but still...I need room for nausea meds, heartburn meds, eyedrops, pads, wallet, phone...I never put my ID, debit card, etc. in a coat pocket. Too easy for someone to steal my personal info if I take off the coat or hang it over a chair in public. 

Good point about that. Which is why I don’t buy pants unless they have 2 front pockets — 1 big enough for my poach-proof credit card/ID wallet and 1 for my car key. That leaves the dang iPhone 6-bs which I carry in a crossbody bag. 

If I don’t have pockets (skirt or dress), I’ll carry a slightly larger crossbody that holds all 3. But it vexes me even to have to do that. LOL 

I ADMIT, being post-menopausal and not needing pads nor plugs, and blessed w good enough health that I don’t need pills gives me a huge advantage toward small bags. 

I also admit, cracks me up to think NRA has some Fritos and snickers bars within. If she & P sat at the opposite end of the row of Maxwelli, they just *might* have a chance! (You know they all drove to KC in one car, so.no in-transit snacking around, what with all those accountability pardners SITTING! RIGHT! THERE))

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I am not a bag person so I carry my purse only (the thing your money goes in as opposed to a handbag). In other 'check english being different in other countries' news; I had to google tuque. Never heard/seen that word before. Turns out it is a beanie! Who knew?? ☺️

Sorry. I am so off topic. 

So as expected, Chelsy's recipe shows much more cooking ability than the others, contains vegetables and is actually something I wouldn't mind eating. 

2 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

In other 'check english being different in other countries' news; I had to google tuque. Never heard/seen that word before. Turns out it is a beanie!

I think it's a French word. English takes a lot of words from other languages like that, as well as German.

I think it's also more popular in Canada than other places like the USA, maybe for that reason? At least, I've never really heard people from the US or UK or Australia use that word.

12 hours ago, singsingsing said:

PREACH.  I am a Vera Bradley fan and each interior pocket holds specific things.  Plus I must have my planner and a book with me.  

I wonder if Sarah's head exploded typing out the recipe for Chelsy's stuffed mushrooms. 

There are ingredients that aren't from a can! There are spices - oh, the spices! There are several steps involved from chopping, sauteing, assembling & baking. 

For the first time in history I would love to eat a the food cooked from a recipe on their blog! Hell, for the first time that I can think of, there is an actual recipe posted on their blog!

Whatever path John & Chelsy are on, at the very least, he chose a wife who will feed him and his family decently and with actual food and flavor rather than the easiest plop of food with the least effort needed. 

I wonder if Chelsy had to schedule the process? 

Bags,purses,pocketbooks, big ones, small ones, I love them all! I have a variety if bags but hate carrying them around while shopping. As soon a jacket wearing weather arrives, my pocket becomes my purse. I carry  credit card, debit card, license and gum. My keys and phone go in the other pocket and Im free to shop. Chelsy has a recipe featured on their blog but it seems to have a lot of seasonings. Too many for the Maxwells? Will tbeir taste buds explode from 2 types of cheese in one dish? 

2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

PREACH.  I am a Vera Bradley fan and each interior pocket holds specific things.  Plus I must have my planner and a book with me.  

LOOOVVVVE Vera Bradley - in fact, I have a hoard.  One has my materials for Bible study, one has art supplies to keep me amused when I attend a friend’s performances, one is my dog’s suitcase, etc. 

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I wonder if Sarah's head exploded typing out the recipe for Chelsy's stuffed mushrooms. 

There are ingredients that aren't from a can! There are spices - oh, the spices! There are several steps involved from chopping, sauteing, assembling & baking. 

For the first time in history I would love to eat a the food cooked from a recipe on their blog! Hell, for the first time that I can think of, there is an actual recipe posted on their blog!

Whatever path John & Chelsy are on, at the very least, he chose a wife who will feed him and his family decently and with actual food and flavor rather than the easiest plop of food with the least effort needed. 

I wonder if Chelsy had to schedule the process? 

She’s judgy—-

she’s smug—-

but by golly she ties her hair back when she cooks!!!!

Chel-SY!! Chel-SY!!

Heres the next question:  will AnnaAndMary get a clue and start to tie theirs back, too?

I’m guessing they won’t.  As others have observed, it’s going to be all they can do to process the explosions of tastes on their palates! 

I finally took a look at the blog posts we're discussing.  That recipe of Chelsy's would blow the Maxwell hive mind.  I love how she's tied her hair back and I love that apron.  it reminds me of some aprons I used to have that belonged to my grandmother.  We didn't talk about Melanie's cinnamon roll recipe that I recall, but they do look better than Jill Dillard's do even if you love icing.

ETA:  I just thought of what Jill's cinnamon rolls remind me of:  those grocery store cinnamon rolls we'd get when a was a kid in the paper tray from the grocery store.  Even country stores tended to have them.  They may have been made by Merita.  (Time for an admission: Id love to have an old grocery screen door with Merita or another bread company's logo emblazoned on it.  Need to check out the flea markets!)

I like Teri's deadpan comment on the stuffed mushroom post.  Not even faint praise.

I enjoy trying recipes that I know are favorites of others.

Trying.  I have a feeling she took one bite of that herby cheesy mushroom deliciousness and spat it out.  

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

but by golly she ties her hair back when she cooks!!!!

Chel-SY!! Chel-SY!!

:D

Chels gave us an actual recipe too.  And one that I might actually make and eat.

I already make both crab and vegetarian versions of stuffed mushrooms.  They are very easy and tasty.  Unless you are a Maxwell.

Yeah, Chelsy's recipe is far too flavorful and intricate for the Maxwells! Stuffing all those little mushrooms? With, you know, cheeses and sausage and spices? Haha! Remember, these are the people who think that a layered pea salad is too much work for a mother with small children...

I can’t carry big bags anymore. They hurt me.

There’s a little box that is in the travel size items area at a lot of stores. It’s about credit card sized. Flips open like a wallet. It’s divided. One side is a compartment that’s large enough for nailclippers, a bandaid, hairband, clip. The other has a few compartments that work for various pills. Love that thing. I also put pills in altoid and mini altoid tins. This works if you know what all your pills look like.

How on earth would the Maxwells cope with the amount of flavour in that recipe?  Chelsy has her faults - many of them - but she can cook!

On a related note, how will John ever stomach a meal at his parents' house again?

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I can’t carry big bags anymore. They hurt me.

There’s a little box that is in the travel size items area at a lot of stores. It’s about credit card sized. Flips open like a wallet. It’s divided. One side is a compartment that’s large enough for nailclippers, a bandaid, hairband, clip. The other has a few compartments that work for various pills. Love that thing. I also put pills in altoid and mini altoid tins. This works if you know what all your pills look like.

Heh. I have a paranoid fear that if I'm carrying unidentified pills in an altoid tin, the police will stop me and accuse me of drug possession. My pills stay in their bottles! :laughing-rollingred:

I feel like Chelsy's smile is really forced in that last picture. She looks like she really doesn't want to be doing this. 

I finally had a chance to look at the Maxwells' blog and see AM's purse. It's not a tiny purse but I wouldn't say that it is big. I bet since she normally totes around a diaper bag or a very large purse because of the kids, that probably is her small purse for going out without the kids.

I hate carrying stuff in my pants pockets or coat pockets. I'm always worried something is going to fall out. I have my big purse for when I go to work or I'm out with my son and then a couple of small ones if I don't need or feel like carrying the big one.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived