IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

I am an intensely practical auntie, when they are little my gifts tend to be necessities. I have bought formula and nappies/diapers, winter coats, stair gates, magnetic blackboard paint, PJs and socks and they all got a voucher for their first pair of proper shoes once they began walking. At that age I think they get so many toys from other people that they may as well get something they need from me.

As soon as they're old enough to express their opinions I ask for suggestions for a gift and then I choose something from the list.

Money has always been tight for me so my gifts are rarely expensive. Mostly what I spend is time. I make sure to remember dates of their exams or sporting contests so that I can send good luck messages and I celebrate every milestone and achievement. The highlight of my week is when my nephew gets his mum to send me a picture of his spelling test because he knows how proud I will be of his achievements ❤️ 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 45

On 3/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ais said:

I am an intensely practical auntie, when they are little my gifts tend to be necessities. I have bought formula and nappies/diapers, winter coats, stair gates, magnetic blackboard paint, PJs and socks and they all got a voucher for their first pair of proper shoes once they began walking. At that age I think they get so many toys from other people that they may as well get something they need from me.

As soon as they're old enough to express their opinions I ask for suggestions for a gift and then I choose something from the list.

Money has always been tight for me so my gifts are rarely expensive. Mostly what I spend is time. I make sure to remember dates of their exams or sporting contests so that I can send good luck messages and I celebrate every milestone and achievement. The highlight of my week is when my nephew gets his mum to send me a picture of his spelling test because he knows how proud I will be of his achievements ❤️ 

This is totally me! I rarely do toys as gifts. Little Ones get necessities and as they get a little older I go for “experiences” such as the zoo/aquarium, touch museums, dinosaur/space exhibits, bordwarlk rides etc.

If the child is one of my sister’s 3 kids, their gift also includes a special sleepover weekend. I like showing each child that they are special to me and give them my one on one attention for the weekend. My husband works quite a lot so they very much look forward to getting some extra time with him as well. 

My son turns 1 on April 18th. His party is April 13th and we are moving into a much smaller house on April 16th. Our family and friends keep asking what they should get for his birthday and I keep telling them clothes. He really doesn’t need anything else and we are majorly downsizing. what I REALLY want is for our friends/family to spend time making memories with him and teaching him new things but I feel funny asking for that.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

This is totally me! I rarely do toys as gifts. Little Ones get necessities and as they get a little older I go for “experiences” such as the zoo/aquarium, touch museums, dinosaur/space exhibits, bordwarlk rides etc.

If the child is one of my sister’s 3 kids, their gift also includes a special sleepover weekend. I like showing each child that they are special to me and give them my one on one attention for the weekend. My husband works quite a lot so they very much look forward to getting some extra time with him as well. 

My son turns 1 on April 18th. His party is April 13th and we are moving into a much smaller house on April 16th. Our family and friends keep asking what they should get for his birthday and I keep telling them clothes. He really doesn’t need anything else and we are majorly downsizing. what I REALLY want is for our friends/family to spend time making memories with him and teaching him new things but I feel funny asking for that.

Maybe it would be easier if you tell them about 2-5 activities they could choose from. Many people are unsure about what age appropriate activities are and maybe feel like they don’t know your child well enough. He is just one so maybe they could go with you to the zoo or just have “play dates” with you (where they play and you can enjoy a quite cup of tea or coffee). 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Just catching up on Counting On-- ugh, do not like the idea of the at-home pop up shop. I guess they just wanted to try something different on the show since they've had a lot of wedding dress shopping episodes. But the idea of bringing a handful of wedding dresses to a glorified storage unit owned by the Duggars and having my family and friends sit on some dowdy ass couches is not appealing. And why are all the Lost Girls there?

I guess I'm thinking about this a little more than usual because I'm going wedding dress shopping for the first time in a couple weeks. I invited my mom, my three bridesmaids, and a friend from work. My future husband doesn't have a bunch of 8-12 year old siblings like John Duggar, but even if he did, I don't think I'd want a gaggle of elementary schoolers present for wedding dress shopping. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

but even if he did, I don't think I'd want a gaggle of elementary schoolers present for wedding dress shopping. 

But but - they won't be allowed to think of  careers or colleges, they have to have a goal, something to look forward to,  and a wedding dress epitomizes the only goal they are allowed to have - other than SAHD.    Might as well pound that in early and often.  Can't let them get any other ideas after all!  So the glam of dress shopping in a shed the folks own - I mean, really, what could be more exciting for them?  They all went home and prayed for their own shed dress shopping one day, I'm sure.  

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, SweetLaurel said:

But but - they won't be allowed to think of  careers or colleges, they have to have a goal, something to look forward to,  and a wedding dress epitomizes the only goal they are allowed to have - other than SAHD.    Might as well pound that in early and often.  Can't let them get any other ideas after all!  So the glam of dress shopping in a shed the folks own - I mean, really, what could be more exciting for them?  They all went home and prayed for their own shed dress shopping one day, I'm sure.  

I can’t react to this post. It’s funny so I want to like it, but it’s also true and that’s so incredibly sad.

I feel so bad for all these kids that never get a chance to discover what they actually want in life. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I saw the pop up shop as a way of controlling information.  This way the public doesn’t see the whole mob flying in for dress shopping.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Maybe it would be easier if you tell them about 2-5 activities they could choose from. Many people are unsure about what age appropriate activities are and maybe feel like they don’t know your child well enough. 

Offering some activities to choose from sounds like a good idea. We've had some very nice and helpful "activity" presents given to our kids/our whole family (an annual zoo pass, children's live shows) and some less appropriate presents (an annual pass to an out of town wildlife center that was too far away for us to visit and not interesting to our kids). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

I saw the pop up shop as a way of controlling information.  This way the public doesn’t see the whole mob flying in for dress shopping.

I think that was a big part of it.  Also, Renee and her peeps are as subtle as a train wreck the way they drop hints on the shop's FB page.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

My nephew and his wife had a big baby shower in August for their son,who was born in September.

They asked that everyone bring a new book,to encourage a love of  reading,and a pack of diapers.In addition to whatever gift you bought.

My aunt,who wasn't able to attend,said she'd never been to a shower...that someone told you what to bring.

I buy clothes for my great niece.I did not have any daughters,and love little girls clothing.

I buy clothes,and diapers,sometimes for my great nephew,too.

Okay,me being BEC,but when someone sends you or your child,a gift.I would like to receive a thank you.It doesn't have to be by mail,a text or message on FB would be fine.

• Upvote 12

You know you're fundie when you have to fly to see a movie you're allowed to watch!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 18

I'm dying at the Samson poster ?...but I've gotta say, they sure do look happy and at ease together. They seem compatible in a way a number of the other couples do not. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8

On 3/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, melon said:

Okay,me being BEC,but when someone sends you or your child,a gift.I would like to receive a thank you.It doesn't have to be by mail,a text or message on FB would be fine.

I'm with you.  I was raised this way, and have taught my kids this as well.  Agreed, it doesn't have to be an engraved, handwritten letter---a text is fine by me!  I mostly want to know if the person even received the gift!  It doesn't take long, really. 

Grandma Fortress says that my kids are the only ones out of all the grandkids who send a thank you to her when she mails them a birthday gift, or a card with $$ in it for Valentines Day or Halloween. (My older one is in college away from home & it does me proud that he thanks her on his own without being reminded by me.  The younger one still needs a gentle reminder.)   Oddly, my older one is very slow (if at all) to acknowledge when I send him something from home, so it isn't a complete success story ?

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

On 3/25/2019 at 8:19 AM, miss_batson said:

No one would ever guess John took Abbie to getaway if she hasnt mentioned it ?

That second selfie is really adorable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

They're interrupting pictures their cuteness to remind us of their crappy politics. I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I'm seeing lots of replies on this post, and wonder if Jabbie will respond further.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 1

If I never have to see that poster lady's chunky mascara and giant pro-life tear again, it will still be too soon.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 13

I'll be honest, I hate thank you cards. I'll do them if we have a large organized gathering (and in a timely manner) but in general I think they are kind of a waste of time and money. Whenever I get one in the mail, I open it and read it and then it goes right in the trash can ?‍♀️

I hosted my sister's baby shower and we did the bring a book thing- it was Dr.Seuss themed so I found a cute little poem that I sent along with the invitation that asked for a book instead of a card but it said it could be well loved or brand new. We also did a diaper raffle but it was purely optional- bring a pack and get entered to win a prize. Don't bring one no big deal. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, NoKidsAndCounting said:

John and Abbie have full face smiles, and I like that.

Me too.

I hope this wasn't a babymoon, though

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I'll be honest, I hate thank you cards. I'll do them if we have a large organized gathering (and in a timely manner) but in general I think they are kind of a waste of time and money. Whenever I get one in the mail, I open it and read it and then it goes right in the trash can ?‍♀️

I hosted my sister's baby shower and we did the bring a book thing- it was Dr.Seuss themed so I found a cute little poem that I sent along with the invitation that asked for a book instead of a card but it said it could be well loved or brand new. We also did a diaper raffle but it was purely optional- bring a pack and get entered to win a prize. Don't bring one no big deal. 

All I want to know is that the gift was received, and I tell all my people ( nieces and nephews all having kids) that an email is A-OK. While a written note is nice, it is a waste of resources. 

• I Agree 5

2 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Ahhhhhh Dr. Suess. After reading „Hop on Pop“ to my nephew I decided that Dr. Suess obviously hated parents and declared the books banned in my house. 

The bring a book idea makes me kind of sad that we don’t really do baby showers here. But we still have about about a hundred childrens books from me and a godmother working for the children and YA section of a publishing house - so I guess we are fine. Still love the idea. I think everyone has one or a couple of must haves and it’s lovely to find out what others cherish.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic