IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

36 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

As an aunt, the only clothing I ever bought for my nephews/niece was a Mickey Mouse onesie when I went to Disney World.

Aunts buy the toys with slime, the drum sets, the toy accordion that needs to be hidden somewhere, the toys that MAKE NOISE..... just saying.

No lie, we just in January found the toy accordion hidden in the back of a cupboard... my youngest is 22, LOL!

This is exactly the kind of aunt I aspire to be someday. Feel free to share more Most Fun Aunt Ever wisdom. ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

This is exactly the kind of aunt I aspire to be someday. Feel free to share more Most Fun Aunt Ever wisdom. ;)

I was an aunt before I was a mum and here’s a tip: if you intend to have kids of your own after your nieces and nephews are born be kind because pay-back is a bitch ...

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I'm the aunt who bought plenty of clothes for my niece and nephew. Everything was brand new (for my daughter I get some consignment now.)  My sister hates clothes shopping and I loved it! I was single at the time and had no one else to spend money on. I also bought toys, and yes some noisy ones ?.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I solved the noisy toys issue by advising whoever bought it stored it, lol. And I try not to buy anything super noisy for our granddaughter. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

The all time annoying toy is the Fisher Price popper. We got one for both of our grandsons. (Insert evil laugh here). DIL found a wonderful review about how awful it is, and if your in laws give you one, they secretly hate you. We don't, but it made us laugh.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

I do buy my 10yo nephew and 7yo niece nice, trendy clothes as presents as their parents just don’t buy clothes for them. I got sick of seeing them in too small clothing.  At Christmas nephew asked where I find such cool clothes so I think he’s happy still getting them.  Parents have just bought two brand new cars so it’s not a money issue, they just dress in old clothes themselves and don’t prioritise clothing. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 10

I'm the one who always buys books. I buy them for baby shower gifts, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts.  I was rewarded yesterday when my 6 year old (almost 7) niece read me The Bad Seed. It was so cute. I love to read, i love books, and  you can never go wrong with books. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 9

God I wish I was able to buy ANYTHING for my nephews. I mean I could, but I'm not dealing with my narc sister's comments about the uselessness or bad quality of whatever I get. :bangheaddesk:

• Sad 13

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The all time annoying toy is the Fisher Price popper. We got one for both of our grandsons. (Insert evil laugh here). DIL found a wonderful review about how awful it is, and if your in laws give you one, they secretly hate you. We don't, but it made us laugh.

My horrible aunt bought my son (who was maybe 3 at the time?) a recorder. A RECORDER. Like - who willingly purchases those for people they claim to like?? 

My sister - who is not astute and isn't all that nice most of the time - managed to snag it and hide it away for later. But seriously... that woman. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I was an aunt before I was a mum and here’s a tip: if you intend to have kids of your own after your nieces and nephews are born be kind because pay-back is a bitch ...

Quoted for truth. My sister got me with the Day Glo Play Doh. 26 years later, there is still some in my family room rug....

But this aunt also made them their Halloween costumes.. if I could make it, they had it!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

I love Kohls and Carter's for baby clothes. I was underwhelmed by Babies R Us the one time I was in it. I hate shopping for myself, especilly since I gained 40 pounds. I loves shopping for my nieces. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I think she's going on about her "SISTERS" to thwart pregnancy speculation.  Not that it will work.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

My sister said that to me, I have avoided buying my nephew's noisy or messy gifts. 

When it's birthday's or Christmas time I ask both my sister and sister in law what gifts my nephew's or nieces want or need and anything that they are not allowed to have. For my nephew's birthday's last year, they are 3 days apart, I took them to a charity football match at Celtic Park that was the week after their birthday. They were turning 8 and 12 and have grown out of toys and got a lot of clothing. I may do the same next year.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Quoted for truth. My sister got me with the Day Glo Play Doh. 26 years later, there is still some in my family room rug....

But this aunt also made them their Halloween costumes.. if I could make it, they had it!

And that is why my mom never let me have Play Doh! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I'm a big fan of getting a child a book to unwrap and then plan an experience, I like the zoo or a museum that they would be interested in, or participating in some other activity they would like.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 7

4 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

6 hours ago, Meggo said:

My horrible aunt bought my son (who was maybe 3 at the time?) a recorder. A RECORDER. 

My sister has banned play doh in her house she has all carpet and it's rental house. My house is all laminate flooring so my nephew's play with it here. Youngest nephew has decorated the house with glitter more than once, no amount of cleaning gets rid of glitter.

My mum bought me a recorder for my ninth birthday, I hated it but tried to learn it since it was a present. My mum said later that it was a mistake buying it. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/10/2019 at 12:31 PM, Four is Enough said:

As an aunt, the only clothing I ever bought for my nephews/niece was a Mickey Mouse onesie when I went to Disney World.

Aunts buy the toys with slime, the drum sets, the toy accordion that needs to be hidden somewhere, the toys that MAKE NOISE..... just saying.

No lie, we just in January found the toy accordion hidden in the back of a cupboard... my youngest is 22, LOL!

I'm ALL about being the proud aunt with the loud toys. I've bought guitars, drums, any truck that requires batteries. If I ever decide to have kids, I know I'm in trouble cuz of retaliation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm a big fan of getting a child a book to unwrap and then plan an experience, I like the zoo or a museum that they would be interested in, or participating in some other activity they would like.

That's the best! Quality time and no more plastic, noisy crap taking up space! ha! I convinced my mom to get my daughters a year-long pass to a children's nature museum 10 minutes from our house. We just moved here right before Christmas, so it was perfect. We've been going about twice a month so far and will go even more often when my older kid is out of preschool for the summer. Best gift. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 11

25 minutes ago, twoandthrough said:

That's the best! Quality time and no more plastic, noisy crap taking up space! ha! I convinced my mom to get my daughters a year-long pass to a children's nature museum 10 minutes from our house. We just moved here right before Christmas, so it was perfect. We've been going about twice a month so far and will go even more often when my older kid is out of preschool for the summer. Best gift. 

Speaking as someone who works at a nature museum, I can't agree strongly enough!  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, twoandthrough said:

My other thought on this is, in 15 years, Lulu wouldn't remember what toy Aunt Audrey got her for her 4th birthday or Christmas. But she'd probably still remember Aunt Audrey taking her to the zoo or science museum, or to see the Daniel Tiger live show, especially if you take pictures. I'd rather go for the memories.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 5

My go-to gifts for most kids are stuffed animals and coloring books/washable art supplies. Most kids enjoy them, and parents usually appreciate that they have low annoyance factors. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve started giving art supplies or toys for imaginative play. I work for a “big name” hospital - the gift shops sells toddler size scrubs with the hospital logo on them, and I usually give kids a set of those. I also do books - I have dinner at one friend’s house at least once a month, and her 3 y/o always invites me to listen to bedtime stories. He has no idea which books I gave him when he was born, and it’s the best feeling when his chosen bedtime story is one i gave him.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My other thought on this is, in 15 years, Lulu wouldn't remember what toy Aunt Audrey got her for her 4th birthday or Christmas. But she'd probably still remember Aunt Audrey taking her to the zoo or science museum, or to see the Daniel Tiger live show, especially if you take pictures. I'd rather go for the memories.

EXACTLY! And oh, how I wish Daniel Tiger Live would come to where we live. We've lived in four states since my 3.5 year old was born (military... *eyeroll* ) , and she is OBSESSED with that dang tiger family... but he never comes to where we are. It seems like he follows us, though. He's in our tiny town from two bases ago this go around, while he won't be anywhere close to us in a much bigger city this time. Bummer. We don't get Paw Patrol Live either. Luckily, my toddler does not even know those things exist, but I would still love to take her. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

My sister said that to me, I have avoided buying my nephew's noisy or messy gifts. 

When it's birthday's or Christmas time I ask both my sister and sister in law what gifts my nephew's or nieces want or need and anything that they are not allowed to have. For my nephew's birthday's last year, they are 3 days apart, I took them to a charity football match at Celtic Park that was the week after their birthday. They were turning 8 and 12 and have grown out of toys and got a lot of clothing. I may do the same next year.

That's a great gift! I've forgotten everything my uncle gave me when I was young, but I have many great memories of (American) football games with him. Plus, now that I'm older and make enough money, my brother and I occasionally buy tickets and invite him to join.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

On 3/11/2019 at 12:28 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm the one who always buys books. I buy them for baby shower gifts, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts.  I was rewarded yesterday when my 6 year old (almost 7) niece read me The Bad Seed. It was so cute. I love to read, i love books, and  you can never go wrong with books. 

On 3/11/2019 at 2:25 PM, Audrey2 said:

I love both these ideas so much.

Getting to actually buy a book instead of renting it from the library was a big deal when I was a kid. My dad was the one who usually bought them for me... now I send him care packages with books (thriftbooks.com is wonderful, btw, especially if you are okay with gently worn hardcovers). :)

And I don't think you can ever go wrong with fun experiences, even if it's just a special trip to the pool (why autocorrect keeps wanting to change pool to poop I don't understand lol), tyedyeing in the backyard, or building snow forts.

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic