IGNORED

Lori Alexander 59: The Oracle of California

37 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

My husband is pretty masculine, but he prefers I do the driving. Especially highway driving on long trips (which I love to do)

I don't really like driving, but I usually drive most of the way to and from St. Louis, about an hour and a half give or take.  My husband takes over once we're closer to St. Louis (I have a bit of a phobia about driving in big cities), and it works for us.  

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ladyicantxplain said:

Oh, let me assure it it was absurd. Most of the girls (I call them girls even though I call my friends "girl!", because these women have been made into infants by this theology) would go along with whatever the others were saying. And most of them said it made them feel so "loved" and so "protected" for their husbands to do the driving. 

I recall this one post where the OP had asked if she should have stopped her husband for driving way too fast with her in the car (and possibly children? I cannot recall, so I don't wanna' mess this up).  The replies were asinine. It is apparently more important that a man-boy feel "masculine" than it is that the wife and family actually arrive somewhere safely because MEN NEED ADVENTURE and DON'T YOU TAKE THAT, little wimminz, by controlling him while he's trying to drive!  Even if he's endangering the whole highway!

Ugh.  I get furious just thinking about it.  

I recall that someone said it all changes if he's driving DRUNK or under the influence. Even Lori agreed that a woman should not allow this.  She should "call the authorities".  How about taking his fucking keys?  Seems a bit easier than calling the cops to me.

In any event, the consensus at the time was that women should ride in the passenger seat most days, and men should drive most days. Because men "lead" the family. And women should not dare utter a word about his driving. No. Matter. What.

Sickening.

That is sickening. Your post is very timely. I am reading "Educated" by Tara Westover. (only on page 102- roughly 1/3rd)

spoiler for anyone that hasn't read the book but wants to

Spoiler

2 major car accidents that could have been prevented - first one the teen driver fell asleep at the wheel and the 2nd one dad insisted that the roads weren't bad (after a different teen driver pulled over and said roads were too bad to go further because of the snow storm) and dad started driving and kept speeding up. Lucky as hell nobody died in those 2 accidents. (I don't know if there are more accidents.)

My husband is an aggressive driver and was an asshole of a passenger*. Our children & I get car sick. After I have told him countless times to not be so herky, jerky with starts and stops, the girls will sometimes throw up. I make him clean it up because by that time I usually nauseous too. He has gotten better but I often have to remind him. He drives up fast on people's bumpers on the highway, like that is going to make them go faster in thick traffic. I still get after him about some of his driving, especially after he got 3 tickets in the span of 18 months. <grr>

*He has gotten better as a passenger but he still isn't great. We've "only" been together for 21 years...maybe he will be a perfect passenger in another 21 years.

1 hour ago, ladyicantxplain said:

I recall that someone said it all changes if he's driving DRUNK or under the influence. Even Lori agreed that a woman should not allow this.  She should "call the authorities".  How about taking his fucking keys?  Seems a bit easier than calling the cops to me.

Too easy and women should never be in authority to her man.   And the police won't mind either. They don't have anything else more important to do then  help out a wife who could just take away the keys, but won't do it because she is all "submissive."   More like passive-aggressive. 

1 hour ago, ladyicantxplain said:

I recall this one post where the OP had asked if she should have stopped her husband for driving way too fast with her in the car (and possibly children? I cannot recall, so I don't wanna' mess this up).  The replies were asinine. It is apparently more important that a man-boy feel "masculine" than it is that the wife and family actually arrive somewhere safely because MEN NEED ADVENTURE and DON'T YOU TAKE THAT, little wimminz, by controlling him while he's trying to drive!  Even if he's endangering the whole highway!

Mr. Xtian makes me nervous because he's a weird combo of road rage and old person driving. Me? Well, I drove from PHX to Las Vegas in just over 3 hours (it's about 350 miles). Used to take my Mustang out to the track and get her up to 120-ish while listening to tunes and smoking a cigarette. Mr. Xtian would basically pee his pants and scream like a kid when I did that. 

Now, if he's driving like an ass, I would tell him to GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE VEHICLE. Depending on the level of ass-ness, I may or may not allow him into the passenger's side. But, I'm a bitch that way. 

Good news about her going viral again- there has been another uptick in the negative reviews on Amazon and Good Reads :)

57 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Too easy and women should never be in authority to her man.   And the police won't mind either. They don't have anything else more important to do then  help out a wife who could just take away the keys, but won't do it because she is all "submissive."   More like passive-aggressive. 

Not to mention, in some places your car gets confiscated if you’re caught driving drunk. So calling the police instead of taking the keys leads to losing the family’s transportation (if you’re a one-car family, like we were for many years in the interest of cutting expenses).

3 minutes ago, refugee said:

Not to mention, in some places your car gets confiscated if you’re caught driving drunk. So calling the police instead of taking the keys leads to losing the family’s transportation (if you’re a one-car family, like we were for many years in the interest of cutting expenses).

Not that Lori gives a damn about that.  Get the only car the family has taken away, lose your means of transportation, God will provide, right?  Unless he doesn't, in which case you didn't have enough faith, so screw you.  

3 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

i'm curious to hear more!  What did she say? Was it flat out wrong for women to drive? What was the reaction by her minions?

My husband is pretty masculine, but he prefers I do the driving. Especially highway driving on long trips (which I love to do)

My husband almost never drives, especially on road trips. He's an anxious driver and I feel his tension, and we both can't relax, so I drive and he can relax. Especially now that he drives for a majority of his job he is happy to hand it off to me. In fact, our car is in my name. I love to drive, what can I say? :) I'm an independent hussy who works.

Wait, do I be subservient and let my man drive to display his dominance over me, or do I drive to show him I have a heart to serve him?!?! I'm so confused!!

ETA: It's a trend in my relationships that I am always the passenger. That is based less on display of dominance and more on the fact that I am a "terrifying" (direct quote, there) driver.

I refuse to drive long distances with my husband as a passenger. He turns into a fidgety fourth grader and won't sit still. He digs around in the glove compartment looking for something to read. He leans into the back seat and starts picking up garbage. He wads up any scrap of paper he can find and creates a tiny trash pile, stuffing it into a sack if he was lucky enough to find one. I actually also hate riding long distances with him because he doesn't talk to me when we travel. An eight hour car ride is miserable if the driver will barely grunt at you if you try to start a conversation. I used to SEVERELY dread our trips out of state to visit our daughter in college. 

Yeah...travel is a bad topic for us. To be fair, things are improving but I still feel anxious when a trip is on our calendar. 

I leave this here since we have been talking about christmas in this thread. If not ok admin can take it away.

Today we celebrated Sankta Lucia here in Sweden. It´s celebrated in daycare with the smallest children, in every school and in many, many churches. Television broadcasts Lucia in the morning, and a rerun in the evening. Here is a "you tube" what it looks like. This is from a couple of yerars back but it doesn´t matter, Lucia is always celebrated like this. 

It´s nothing religious, we sing old traditional songs about Lucia and how she comes to light the dark winter nights. And we sing all the wonderfull christmas songs.

Enjoy! Glad Lucia till er alla :tw_innocent:

Aw! @Pink Muffin, thank you for the video! I've had a soft spot in my heart for St. Lucia day since my grandmother bought me a doll that had a St. Lucia outfit, including the wreath with the candles on it. 

Gah!  Lori’s SAHM vs Working Mothers doodle appeared on my Twitter feed!

Worlds are colliding!

The good news though was none of the responses were even remotely positive.  

I am, and have been for more than 40 years, the designated driver.  My mom and I drove when we went on vacation while my dad occupied the passenger seat.  I drive my friends whenever we go somewhere, especially into New Orleans.  My brother abdicated driving to me when he lived with me between his marriages.  My nephew-in-law sits in the back seat when we go somewhere as a family.  I don't think any of the males in my family were emasculated by letting me drive.  It wasn't about control--they like sleeping in the passenger seat whenever we go somewhere.

We're pretty much in the school of my car/I drive, his car/he drives.  If it's a long trip, he usually drives. No particular reason, but I do enjoy the unlimited crochet time.  But since I've always had the "good" car and he's usually driven a project car (it's a 76 El Camino at the moment), we usually take mine and that also means that we put a huge amount of miles on my car.  Not so much now, but since the El Camino does not have air conditioning, a radio or sun visors I still would rather take my car even if I have to do the driving!  I'm pretty sure he's not feeling emasculated because I drive, I think he probably enjoys being chauffeured.

I am an excellent driver in cities, on highways, and back roads but nobody wants me on the freeway. I have major PTSD related driving anxiety stemming from a very nasty freeway accident in which I was the passenger. We were hit by a semi truck and were lodged under the wheels. The semi dragged the car about 40 feet before the car was flung into oncoming traffic where the car was struck by 3 other vehicles before coming to rest on the side of the road. Baby Nova was actually a baby when it happened and even though we were physically unharmed, it scarred me for life. I used to cringe at every semi that passed and sometimes my mind would actually see the truck moving into our lane (it wasn't) and freak out. It would scare the shit out of Mr Nova. With therapy I'm much calmer as a passenger but me, my husband, and my therapist all agree that I should avoid freeway driving. 

My grandma found my first car at one of those 9/11 "stimulate the economy" sales. I was terrified of driving after being in an accident 4 months earlier, and she thought my own car would be an inducement. So my parents bought it, and my mom and I shared it. It was a (purple!) 1995 Chrysler Sirus that lasted until 2005. And then I had a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero that my mom found in the newspaper. My parents and I split the cost ($6000 altogether, my half was from my graduation money). My mom and I shared it as well, and it lasted until 2008 when mom was in an accident that totaled it. And so I ended up with my Grandma's 1998 Buick Century and Grandma got a new car. Still have the Buick, though it was diagnosed with a blown headgasket a couple months ago and is now only driven once a week. I wish I could get $5000 for it! Or even $500....

Lori lives the exact opposite of Titus 2:5. The entire passage means to live in such a way that God is not blasphemed because of your actions. Now of course one can't please everyone but it still stands that Christians are to live in this way. When reading the comments it's very obvious her actions are causing others to "blaspheme God". I can't imagine the number of people she's turning off to the idea of Christianity because a set of what 5 verses she's butchered?

Lori's leaving the workforce post is stupid. There is one guy on my team and he only does on call crisis response for us so I never see him hardly. The rest are women. If they left there'd be a huge gap in the counseling workforce that men couldn't fill. There'd be like a 7 year wait period waiting for some men to get a masters in counseling. Imagine the amount of suicides that might take place during that time because of no mental health help or crisis response. A majority of nurses at the ER that I regularly see are women. Lori acts like there's men waiting to fill up care giving jobs in the rural Midwest. There's not. 

This blaspheming hussy is working, not only is she working, she's working AT HOME!!! It gets worse...Mr. Xtian fixed us a pizza for dinner. 

So, let's see...I work, I'm currently working at home. I drive Mr. Xtian around. Mr. Xtian fixed dinner and is doing the laundry. 

Hmm...better tell Mr. Xtian that I'm a shitty wife. Nah, he'd never agree with me and it's just not worth the fight. 

Re Alyssa leaving home at just 18 years of age with no money, the question is why?  No one leaves without money unless they HAVE to.   Was she going to or running from?

9 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

majority of nurses at the ER that I regularly see are women. 

In my hospital, the ratio is probably 85/15 women to men for bedside RNs and nursing assistants.  Same is true for patient care housekeepers, and other support services.  My doctoral study was on turnover in the frontline departments.  As a community hospital, we can't compete with Home Depot or Lowe's for unskilled labor when they are paying $14 an hour.

I dare say Lori nor those she quoted have ever taken a macro or microeconomics class or even attempted to learn economic theory.  Everything they say flies in the face of economics.  Right now, in our area, there are no speech-language therapists available, even on a contract basis.  So to say all the women should leave the workforce means if you go to the hospital, too bad.  You won't be seen soon in the ED.  You won't have a nurse.  No housekeeping.  No meals.  In fact, we won't be able to even admit you because we can't staff with just a male-only workforce.  

This substantiates the idea that she really is stupid and lacks any form of critical thinking.  Her only thinking is "what can I say to get a lot of attention."  Her posts are like the Hobby Lobby ads -- everything cycles through on a 3 week basis. 

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

In my hospital, the ratio is probably 85/15 women to men for bedside RNs and nursing assistants.  Same is true for patient care housekeepers, and other support services.  My doctoral study was on turnover in the frontline departments.

I work at a hospital, too.  and Those ratios are about the same here.. Some departments like Audiology are about 100% female.  Overall, healthcare is very female oriented, especially in clinical and support areas. Even our medical staff is probably 65 male, 35 female. Take away even 10% of the women and we would have large, gaping holes resulting in shortages of physicians and long waits for care. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived