IGNORED

Lori Alexander 59: The Oracle of California

2 minutes ago, refugee said:

I know the flu shot can be helpful, but I always got so sick (a week of mini-flu?) from the shot every year when it was mandatory (for my job) that when I didn’t have to get it anymore (changed jobs), I stopped getting them.

I do get a reaction from it, which is usually not severe.  But it is so much better than the flu itself.  I get it on a Friday afternoon, after I have done everything I need to do for the day.  I plan on a quiet, calm weekend just in case and I like to plan it for Labor Day weekend so that I also have a Monday to recover in case I need it.  I usually don't have a horrible reaction, it's just that I am very tired and that can last a couple of days.  But even with that, it's still not worth the risk of the flu.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, refugee said:

I know the flu shot can be helpful, but I always got so sick (a week of mini-flu?) from the shot every year when it was mandatory (for my job) that when I didn’t have to get it anymore (changed jobs), I stopped getting them.

I had Influenza A late last spring. I was one of the lucky people who got it in spite of having a flu shot the previous October. I can guarantee you that you were not as fricking sick as you would be if you had the flu. The second day, I decided to get my  own breakfast. I walked less than 15 feet to my kitchen and got a cup of yogurt from the refrigerator and walked another 10 feet or less to get a spoon. Then I slept for an hour and a half before I ate it because I was exhausted. 

On day 3, I broke out in a rash from the Tamiflu and couldn't take that anymore. 

On top of that, no paid sick leave plus co-pay for the doctor, lab fees and cost of medication added up to nearly $600. 

Get a damn flu shot so you don't get sick or give it to the rest of us. I get nauseous for a day when I get it. Every damn time. Likely because I have a bit of an intolerance to eggs and eating too many will also make me nauseous. So I make sure I get it on a full stomach and have a little soda. I survive. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, Imrlgoddess said:

Red hair colors have the largest pigment so that's why it doesn't take in some people or it washes out faster than normal. Natural red hair holds its pigment tight tight, the cuticles don't open & accept the other colors as easily so you have to strip it first to get it to hold. (Way too many of my friends are cosmetologists)

I quit buying box color after I'd gone black for a couple years. It took my friend all afternoon & a lot of bleach to get that out of my hair. I go to Sally's Beauty Supply & get the various components & do it at home. Box colors have a lot of metallic in them so the color sticks. I tend to keep my hair pixie short so I've gotten fussed at plenty for home dye jobs. 

I'm terrified of aging. I'm horribly vain & have had a hard time accepting my 40's. I cling to Cobain's adage: "I'd rather burn out than fade away". If I can be half as lively as my mom at her age...I think I'll be happy. She's 71, but she didn't get the memo.... definitely not the cute gramma who rocks & knits. 

I’m 39 and terrified of 40. I don’t look anything like I did when married and it’s caused some insecurities. I relate to you and Lori for her struggles with aging but my husband is always quick to reassure me every single time. I told him I don’t want to spend 150 every 3 months to cover my ten grey hairs anymore and he said he could care less either way lol. Which makes me wonder if ken isn’t giving her that confidence that he’s still attracted to her or he isn’t oolgling younger women? Either way it’s sad and I hope my aging hating phase passes quickly so I’m not as focused as Lori  seems to be about it. 

My neighbor is in her 80s and is active in everything, always doing something, friends come over everyday, family always visiting, and she’s in between that she’s always going somewhere. She has a full life that I hope I have too at her age. 

You know, reading the nut job leghumpers's comments on the prolife/ anti vax FB post, I really, really believe the nut jobs would rather one of their children die from whooping cough, diphtheria, measles, flu, polio, tetanus, etc. etc. rather than vaccinate.

I also believe they would rather one of their children be irreparably harmed because they insist on woo and EOs  instead of using proven modern medicine.  Case in point, mumps causing sterility or blindness.  Untreated strep throat leading to scarlet fever leading to a heart murmur***. Chicken pox causing scarring. Very high fevers causing brain damage.  Hearing loss cause by repeated untreated ear infections or infections like meningitis, measles, mumps or whooping cough.

You all get where I'm going. 

It seems almost like a badge of honor. That they are even more godly, more Christian, more fundie, more "loving God's perfect ways" if they resit using common sense and through their own pride and stupidity, pride in their ignorance and pride in their stupidity, a child pays the price.

I'm fairly darn certain God gave people brains in order to invent vaccines and modern medicine in general. I also fairly darn certain He gave us brains think, to learn, to educate ourselves. All so we wouldn't go about trusting medical decisions to crazy Lori who learned nothing in college, isn't a doctor, and believes every nutty, false info, fear mongering, paranoid website she reads.

*** A friend in college had a pretty bad heart murmur that kept him from doing many things because his SOB cheap skate father refused to let his mother take him to the doctor for his strep throat. Then the SOB refused to take him to the doc until he nearly died from the scarlet fever.  He was so ill after the scarlet fever, he spent over 8  months in bed recuperating and missed a year of school. 

@livinglongerthanyou  Yes, I sure am. Thank you for recognizing that, I am a natural healer, intuitive and empath.  As you are also a healer, very meaningful to me for you to recognize this journey.  It's nice to have someone understand, spiritually.  The healing part is wonderful;  the other two, difficult but makes the healing work.  ?

My mother has a heart murmur. She's always said that as far as she knows she was born with it. But she also had scarlet fever when she was a little girl, around 1940. I wonder if that's what caused it. (My grandparents called the doctor in, though; they were extremely frugal but not at the expense of their children's health!)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived