IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get hung up on objects that don't have value for me any more but still have value and I get stuck on the thought loop of 'should I have a garage sale?  But they are so much work.  What about selling on NextDoor?  Or donate?  But donate where?  Maybe I'll just trash it or stick it by my mailbox with a 'free' label on it...' etc.  

I do think it's good to have someone preaching a 'less is more' philosophy.  We are all awash in cheap junk and it's so easy to get caught up in the mindset of 'collect all of the Harry Potter DVDs' (okay, 10 years ago when you couldn't just stream everything but you know what I mean). 

I have a huge pile of old toys in the garage that I started sorting through a year ago.  My youngest kid is 14.  There are a few items I want to hang onto for possible future grandkids (legos, train set) but most things we can get rid of, it just goes back to my first point... a lot of donation places don't take toys.  

None of my clothes really spark joy. I view them more as a necessity. If I took the sparking joy thing literally I’d have no clothes!! 

There’s a pretty significant difference between minimalism and what Kondo’s doing. Minimalism is about ridding all but the absolutely necessary, but Marie seems to be more about parting with things that aren’t really doing you any good. She never said you had to get rid of everything - just that you should only keep things you really value. There’s been a lot of overwrought projecting around her (especially on the book thing), and I think it’s really unfortunate. She seems to really respect people’s feelings and individual natures, so I can’t see her insisting someone part with something that they honestly love, even if it isn’t absolutely required. 

What works for one doesn’t work for others. I, for one, cringe every time someone sniffs at my insistence on buying physical copies of movies. Streaming works for a lot of people, but I’d rather run through the streets naked while suffering from diarrhea than rely on streaming for all my movie watching. It’s too fickle and unreliable when you feel like watching something specific, so my 300+ dvds/Blu-rays spark a lot of joy for me. I can’t see Marie Kondo urging me to purge those the same way I could see her urging me to say goodbye to the stack of Mental Floss magazines that have been sitting in my closet for the last few years.

@justodd,  I have the same attitude about my DAVDs/Blu-rays.  I'd much rather own a physical copy of the movie than have to rely on streaming it.   In particular I collect Christmas movies.  If I've got a copy, I can watch it anytime.  

Between KonMari and furloughed government workers home cleaning out their closets (and wanting some cash), the resale & charity shops in suburban DC are a gold mine right now!

[I try to buy as much of my clothing used as possible--its just my personal commitment to recycling + I like to support small businesses/charities]

And this is total BEC and I appreciate wanting to get crafty, but Jinjer could have bought a used hat rack to hang on the wall instead of making one with a board & clothespins. I don't think those clothespins will hold up that well in the long run.

I started watching the show a few weeks ago & decided to start in my closet. So far i’ve thrown out a couple of big trash bags of junk, and i have 3 big trash bags of old clothes (just mine) to donate. I also sorted my kids’ clothes (since there were literally boxes of them in my closet) and ended up giving most of them to friends with kids who can wear them. I have no desire to do it to her extremes (yeah, not throwing out any of my books or cds), but i can already see the effect of clearing that much stuff.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I am never getting rid of my books. They give me joy, every one of them. Call me Jeremy but you will rip my books from my cold dead hands. If I got rid of everything in my house that didn't give me joy the only thing left would be the books and the cats! 

I had 100's of books until my old place flooded and I had to move. I don't even know which ones I have left actually. I did donate some before moving, but I'm sure some were discarded. 

Don't laugh, but I cried when I was packing my books up. The only thing I can lose myself in is my books. To not have them around me is very strange. I managed to grab three tote bags of them just before my father took ill. 

I need my books, damn it. ?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived