IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I guess they will Go to conservative Christian private schools  It won’t suit Jeremy’s image to   Have his poorly educated wife teaching them. 

Oh yes, their kids will be privately educated, there are no shortages of private christian schools around the south. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Bobology said:

When the Duggars and associates speak of how home-schooled children have opportunities, go to college, excel, etc, I'm sure they know some people that have turned out that way. The home schoolers in my area (next door to Arkansas) are usually from families with 1-3 kids, and some of them DO excel. But when a mom, no matter how educated or intelligent, has eleventy kids to 'educate' at the same time... it just can't bode well.

My former profession was in testing, and in my years of experience most home-schoolers test above average in reading comprehension, but significantly below average in mathematics. And that's in families with 1-3 kids, usually. Those kids can go on and excel in something, but their opportunities for employment will be limited to jobs that don't require good math skills or the brain power that is involved in learning and using good math skills.

I was homeschooled for 5 years, and in my experience (I know a TON of homeschoolers from that time) those who reevaluate each year based on each individual child's needs tend to be much more successful. My family and some others I knew would at various points in time have some kids homeschooled and some in traditional (public or private) schools. We usually decided each year based on how well we were learning at home, social ability/ability to sit in class, ability of my mom to teach us in a way that worked for our learning styles, and as we got older we all ended up in high school because my mom was unable to teach science at an appropriate level. I work in technology and have 2 siblings who work/are succeeding in college in science fields. For me, homeschooling helped me learn much better because I could move more quickly than in a classroom (I'm a fast learner with a very short attention span). The families who I know who homeschooled constantly and believed going to school would lead to evil tend to struggle with college/jobs/gaining independence from their parents. I wish more homeschooling families would be willing to split between school and home based on each child's needs (and how the parents could handle them) every year, I think that would help them 

Love the eye color thread drift. Genetics are amazing.

So my Dad has dark brown eyes. My Mom’s are green. My eyes at green and my 2 siblings have dark brown eyes.

My husbands parents and all of their kids have very blue eyes.

Our son’s eyes are very blue, just like his Dad. When he was a baby they were super light blue but they have darkened a bit but still very blue. 

1F9D9861-1A85-431C-8EFA-F7B6B378E53F.jpeg

Our daughter, her eyes change with the light and what she’s wearing. They bounce between blue, green and a light hazel. 

302DB0CE-4B1D-469E-8DD1-EB9CBF8A7A9E.jpeg

F768BC01-B184-4AB2-86EA-EC996408DE50.jpeg

On 1/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, Knight of Ni said:

People do that all the time at least around where I live. In the Southeast United States college football is more popular than the NFL. On a school trip to Boston I noticed that Harvard sweatshirts were actually a very popular item for street vendors to sell. Or Hahvahd sweatshirts as they called them. 

I agree on the college sports side of it, especially football. Were big on college football so we for sure wear our University of Alabama (*Roll Tide*) gear even though we live in New York and none of have attended U of A, though I did go to U of South Alabama. Locally it's a lot of Syracuse and Penn State gear we see, and most of the people did not go there :)

I actually had a Harvard shirt myself once. Under the name in small print it said.... I didn't go there :laughing-jumpingpurple:

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Another question I often ponder, for these young men who fancy themselves superb intellects, ( Derick, Jeremy) how are they not appalled with the Duggars’ poor education and lack of basic knowledge? They have to see it, right? Maybe Jeremy thinks he can get Jinger up to speed in the next 5 years?

Easy. They don't want their women too smart or God forbid, too ambitious.

This is sort of related, but there is a lot of research and a lot of papers written about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor in the USA. And one of the contributing factors is that 50 years ago, by and large you had a stay-at-home population of women, married to income-earning men. That then began to change but overwhelmingly the men made more money, and there was often the effect of a high-earning man lifting a woman a level or more up from her socioeconomic position. For example, the much more common scenario of executive men marrying assistants and so on. What has changed with the influx of women into the workplace is that we have become a much more class-defined society. Meaning, the professional class tends to marry preferentially within the class itself. Lawyers married to other lawyers, doctors married to doctors, accountants, etc. And as time goes on, this will just become more pronounced.

2 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

That’s a thing for a lot of men irl, too.  Not all, of course, but there was a study done about how even men who genuinely want an intelligent and successful woman still want her to be slightly less of both than he is.

Being professionally successful and seen as smart is a liability in dating for many women.

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That’s a thing for a lot of insecure men irl, too.  Not all, of course, but there was a study done about how even men who genuinely want an intelligent and successful woman still want her to be slightly less of both than he is.

Being professionally successful and seen as smart is a liability in dating for many women.

Bolded mine. Thank god not all men, as you point out. Some good ones, secure and confident men, are out there ladies! A man who is threatened by a professionally successful and smart partner is sad = not a man I'd want to date if I was dating (I am married). 

All of these questions about homeschooling are bringing a very dark question into my mind. I wonder after how many generations, the offspring of the fundies we follow will be functionally illiterate? The first generation moms had high school or even college degrees. We look at Jill Rodrigues and her homeschooling as an example of a second generation, which we can get some idea of her schooling ability by the way Nurie writes. Nurie homeschooling a large brood of her own terrifies me.

32 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

All of these questions about homeschooling are bringing a very dark question into my mind. I wonder after how many generations, the offspring of the fundies we follow will be functionally illiterate? The first generation moms had high school or even college degrees. We look at Jill Rodrigues and her homeschooling as an example of a second generation, which we can get some idea of her schooling ability by the way Nurie writes. Nurie homeschooling a large brood of her own terrifies me.

I worry about the exact same thing with the Rodrigues children. Someone once guessed that Nurie is writing at a 4rth grade level. I find that believable which is 4 years less education than the Amish! There is no way that is a functional adult level of education, not a snowballs chance in hell. 

3 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

This is sort of related, but there is a lot of research and a lot of papers written about the increasing gap between the rich and the poor in the USA. And one of the contributing factors is that 50 years ago, by and large you had a stay-at-home population of women, married to income-earning men. That then began to change but overwhelmingly the men made more money, and there was often the effect of a high-earning man lifting a woman a level or more up from her socioeconomic position. For example, the much more common scenario of executive men marrying assistants and so on. What has changed with the influx of women into the workplace is that we have become a much more class-defined society. Meaning, the professional class tends to marry preferentially within the class itself. Lawyers married to other lawyers, doctors married to doctors, accountants, etc. And as time goes on, this will just become more pronounced.

I still think the bigger question is if these men who think that they are super intelligent, and who may have married a woman they feel is less so inclined would want that woman to be the homeschool teacher for their own children. 

Wouldnt they want their own kids to have the best of of educations, or is the goal for the pseudo intellect to always have the upper hand and control?

I have always thought that JB was very insecure about himself and wanted to ensure that he was always the best...and in control.

Oh, I absolutely think JB is very insecure and wants to be the best and in control. I think Jeremy is more likely to want his children to succeed because that makes him look good, especially if that child is Jeremy, JR. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I have always thought that JB was very insecure about himself and wanted to ensure that he was always the best...and in control.

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Oh, I absolutely think JB is very insecure and wants to be the best and in control.

Nailed it... I agree I agree. I also believe this is why they don't play real organized, team sports... JB was probably a klutz and couldn't play well.

35 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Nailed it... I agree I agree. I also believe this is why they don't play real organized, team sports... JB was probably a klutz and couldn't play well.

I think it's more a combination of the fact that organized sports are an extra cost that adds up when you have 20 kids who want to play and the fact that fundies generally try to avoid having their kids directly compete/compare against secular kids.  They NEED to believe their kids are superior and special in every way thanks to their lifestyle, and that won't hold up when other kids are routinely outshining their decidedly average offspring in any sort of activity.  

30 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I think it's more a combination of the fact that organized sports are an extra cost that adds up when you have 20 kids who want to play and the fact that fundies generally try to avoid having their kids directly compete/compare against secular kids.  They NEED to believe their kids are superior and special in every way thanks to their lifestyle, and that won't hold up when other kids are routinely outshining their decidedly average offspring in any sort of activity.  

That and it's also hard enough to coordinate driving 2 or 3 kids around who aren't on the same team... imagine having 6 or 8 or 10 kids who aren't old enough to drive yet and mostly aren't on the same team as each other... what a logistical nightmare that would be!

9 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

That and it's also hard enough to coordinate driving 2 or 3 kids around who aren't on the same team... imagine having 6 or 8 or 10 kids who aren't old enough to drive yet and mostly aren't on the same team as each other... what a logistical nightmare that would be!

True!  There were only 3 kids in my family with a 10 year gap between myself and my sister (oldest to youngest), and my parents basically forced me to get my license ASAP because having to drive all 3 kids around to activities was wearing them thin!

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I still think the bigger question is if these men who think that they are super intelligent, and who may have married a woman they feel is less so inclined would want that woman to be the homeschool teacher for their own children. 

Wouldnt they want their own kids to have the best of of educations, or is the goal for the pseudo intellect to always have the upper hand and control?

i think pseudo intellect and fast money and idea for ministry for them is the real goal.  Upper hand and control is a huge thing in their cult.  Even though Jeremy is his own cult, JB i would assume step in at any point...up to a point. 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, Hashtag Blessed said:

He enjoys the aesthetic trappings of intellectualism while promoting a fundamentally anti-intellectual way of life.  

Well said!!! :clap:

On 1/16/2019 at 1:05 PM, PennySycamore said:

Except that Hahvahd is not exactly know for its great football teams.  You might were a Clemson sweatshirt because you like their team, but a Harvard shirt makes you think of their education.  (Unless it's something like Harvard Lacrosse or Harvard Rowing.)  ETA: JInger wearing that sweatshirt look pretentious as fuck.  

Harvard, btw, did produce some Olymplians.  Dick Button, the first American to win the Gold Medal in Men's Figure Skating (1948) went to Harvard and Harvard Law, as well.  Button was the first person to land a double axel in competition and four years later at the '52 winter games, he became the first man to land a triple - triple loop.  John Mischa Petkevich was one of our best male skaters in the early 70s (won the North American championship twice) graduated from Harvard and was a Rhodes Scholar.  I'm sure there have been others, but I'm not going to look that up right now.

@Threff, that Christian Girl Instagram video never gets old!

And some Olympians go on to Harvard after winning medals.

I went to a Harvard-Yale football game once and was shocked by how normal sized the team was when I saw them walk by. I’m used to seeing big, hulking, muscular football players but they were built more like Ben Seewald.

Also, I’ve heard that drunk Harvard students pee on the John Harvard statue. So if you visit, don’t rub his foot for good luck (which many visitors do). 

On 1/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Picture it Jeremy in a sweater vest, pipe in hand, ironic glasses at his lips, deep in thought, beside a coffee house fireplace staring longingly out Chip & Joanna styled windows. It will of course be in black & white and have a marvelously crafted quip and a bible verse. I'm sure he's planning for it now, as Jing is at home hand knitting the sweater vest.  

ETA, I forgot to add, as Jinger is at home knitting the sweater vest from wool she spun herself, from the sheep she organically raises in her picture perfect back yard.  

I feel like this has already happened since it’s so on brand.

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I’ve asked the same questions, and has the same concerns. A lot of it is from seeing how Nurie writes. And then when I look at Jill Dullard’s ability to write when sharing recipes I worry for her kids. And that concern is from seeing how much JRod failed Nurie. I can see the next generation of Rods being almost/functionally illiterate. Very likely  the generation after will be at that level. Tim somehow made it to college, even if it is Moody. But we don’t know what his writing skills are like or how well he did. Jill said he passed all his classes, but what does that mean? Did he barely make it through or did he do well? He does seem to have some drive, and it’s too bad his mother hampered him so much.

the uniforms for Protestant Christian schools in the South are generally not cute or insta worthy. They aren’t typically preppy plaid skirts and blazers (that’s the domain of evil Catholics and evil-adjacent Episcopalians). The fundie light Baptist school uniforms are typically khaki skirts/pants and polo shirts with the school logo embroidered on them. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I went to a Harvard-Yale football game once and was shocked by how normal sized the team was when I saw them walk by. I’m used to seeing big, hulking, muscular football players but they were built more like Ben Seewald.

Also, I’ve heard that drunk Harvard students pee on the John Harvard statue. So if you visit, don’t rub his foot for good luck (which many visitors do). 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is such an accurate description of The Game. Football players at Ivies are often described as slightly above average players but below average students.

One of my friends (a Yale student, now an alumnus) once drunkenly pooped on the statue of John Harvard. Yale students pee on the statue of Theodore Woolsey (center of Old Campus). 

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

the uniforms for Protestant Christian schools in the South are generally not cute or insta worthy. They aren’t typically preppy plaid skirts and blazers (that’s the domain of evil Catholics and evil-adjacent Episcopalians).

I went to an Episcopal Light (founded Episcopal but dropped the religious affiliation in the early '90s) school. We wore navy or grey bottoms with either polos or oxfords on top. All sweaters/blazers had to have the school crest. I actually really liked this in retrospect because I have 0 embarrassing pictures of me in high school shamelessly following dated trends. I was a teenager in the early-mid aughts so fashion was ROUGH. 

9 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Oh, I absolutely think JB is very insecure and wants to be the best and in control. I think Jeremy is more likely to want his children to succeed because that makes him look good, especially if that child is Jeremy, JR. 

Especially if that  child is Jeremy Jr.... oh my god. It wasn't something I'd thought about, but that is DEFINITELY something they would do.

11 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Bingo. That's exactly what JB is and what he wants. He can't handle anyone being better at him at anything especially his own children and Michelle's the same way. They insured that will never happen. Derick is definitely like that too. I'm not sure that Jeremy isn't the same way too. I could see him going either way wanting his children to succeed to make him look good. So he can brag to everyone what a great and perfect father he was. But I can also see him having a hard time if one of his children is smarter then he is. His a better soccer player and gets further then he did. Or overshadows him. It'll be interesting to see. 

Case in point with JB was him bodychecking Josiah(?) in the laser tag game. 

I have a mother who competes with/needs to be better than me, and it's awful. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived