IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TheOneAndOnly said

Has this been discussed here yet? Pretty sure this is the school Jeremy is/was attending.

https://www.christianpost.com/church-ministries/john-macarthur-to-students-questioning-accreditation-problems-keep-your-mouth-shut.html

I'm very sure this is the school Jeremy signed up for.  And is a current student of - despite its reputation.

And its reputation is bad. https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2017/09/22/janes-account-of-rape-response-of-masters-university-to-her-claims-and-a-breaking-development-confirming-details-doyouseeus/

But perhaps Jeremy could not care less about that.

Nice isn't it.  And its accreditation is also on probation.

https://www.wthrockmorton.com/2018/08/17/the-masters-university-placed-on-probation-by-regional-accrediting-organization/

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges has placed The Master’s University on probation, citing a “climate of fear, intimidation, bullying, and uncertainty among significant numbers of faculty and staff” among many other concerns.  Grace to You preacher John MacArthur is also the current president of TMU.

Lots of links there on why it is on probation.  Dirty stuff.

I skip a lot of Duggar threads because they all seem to be about weddings and babies and I don't want to spoil your fun.

But can someone please tell me that Duggar threads do sometimes go beyond weddings and babies, and that Jeremy's involvement with Masters University has been discussed here before.

And I hope very critically.  Otherwise what are we all doing here ...

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm a few days behind here, but I had to Google Rouladen as I'd never heard of it, despite my mom's family being very German, and it sounds delicious, I'm going to have to give this a try some night, DH & DS would love it DD MIGHT.  The 1st recipe I saw had onion instead of pickles & carrots, but I would make mine like you have listed and the families with the onion & carrots as they aren't big pickle fans and I'm not an onion fan.

my family recipe has no pickles.  just diced onion, shaved carrots, and bacon.

it makes the only gravy I'll eat.

@CharlieInCharge Small towns are hard, I'm so sorry that those people were cruel! As for friends, my first year of university me and my roommate were adopted by an extrovert, we made friends with many people and we enjoyed some of them. My roommate found the people that she liked best and we formed a little mostly introvert club. We have another extrovert who loves everyone, she's one of a kind. We're all still great friends 12 years later.

I'm not sure I have made any friends since then...so I have no advice. I try, but it just never clicks in the way that it did then. I hope things look up for you though! :)

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@TheOneAndOnly said

I'm very sure this is the school Jeremy signed up for.  And is a current student of - despite its reputation.

And its reputation is bad. https://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2017/09/22/janes-account-of-rape-response-of-masters-university-to-her-claims-and-a-breaking-development-confirming-details-doyouseeus/

But perhaps Jeremy could not care less about that.

Nice isn't it.  And its accreditation is also on probation.

https://www.wthrockmorton.com/2018/08/17/the-masters-university-placed-on-probation-by-regional-accrediting-organization/

Lots of links there on why it is on probation.  Dirty stuff.

I skip a lot of Duggar threads because they all seem to be about weddings and babies and I don't want to spoil your fun.

But can someone please tell me that Duggar threads do sometimes go beyond weddings and babies, and that Jeremy's involvement with Masters University has been discussed here before.

And I hope very critically.  Otherwise what are we all doing here ...

I believe it was brought up previously. In the last thread I linked to an Instagram post Jeremy made earlier this year about his acceptance to The Master’s Seminary. I believe that post was discussed back when it was first posted and I don’t recall the overall impression being too good by the end of the discussion. 

It's paywall locked, so only available to people who have access to the premium articles on the Chronicle of Higher Education (I work at a university so have access at work), but if you do have access this is a really informative take on the issues at Master's U&S.

"Who Is the Master at Master’s University and Seminary?"

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Fear-Intimidation/245206 

@JermajestyDuggar said: 

"Plus little baby hands can’t pull short hair as easily as long hair. "

Oh yes. Yes, they can. I chopped off my almost-waist-length hair when GryffindorDisappointment was about 6 weeks old. All for naught. Little shit STILL pulled my hair, plus it was short (which I hated).

As for rouladen, my German neighbor taught me this way:

Thin-sliced steak, spread with mustard, topped with a dill pickle & chopped onion, rolled up & secured with a toothpick. Bake in the oven. Damn. Now I want rouladen!!!

@Palimpsest There are efforts made to discuss the things other than the weddings and the babies. Especially now, as we have none of those forthcoming.

Your reminders are always appreciated ;) 

I actually have a question for @cascarones, if you don’t mind. We all know his church is small. You have some knowledge of the Christian “scene” in San Antonio. Do you have any speculation, idle or otherwise, as to what or who he might be trying to align himself with? 

The antiCatholic stuff always bewilders me. Do you know of other churches or individuals who espouse that nonsense?

In my experience, anti-catholicism is verrry normalized in Reformed groups. Reformed people assume that your catholic aunties are selling indulgences, espousing Arianism, and having enemy clergy poisoned so as to inherit their wealth.

8 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

In my experience, anti-catholicism is verrry normalized in Reformed groups. Reformed people assume that your catholic aunties are selling indulgences, espousing Arianism, and having enemy clergy poisoned so as to inherit their wealth.

I've had similar experiences. I remember once in high school (I went to a public high school), a kid who was a Jehovah's Witness asked me what religion I was. I said I had been raised Catholic. He gave me a nasty look and scooted away. Now, I don't go to church any more, and I know the Catholic Church has a lot of problems, but I had to laugh at getting looked down upon by a Jehovah's Witness of all people.

Jeremy is just following the tradition of a lot of non-Catholic Christian denominations that see Catholics as misguided at best, literal heathens at worst. The Catholic-Protestant schism still runs pretty deep for a lot of groups.

I'm glad Jinger is enjoying motherhood. I hope she sees that her relationship with her daughter as an individual rather than a collect-em-all game is different and so much better than how her parents viewed Jinger and her siblings. That being said, I do get the feeling Jinger and Jeremy are the least likely of the current married bunch to have 10+kids.

I'm also glad Jinger is enjoying motherhood, but I'm not thrilled with what she's doing in this post. 

Just because she loves being a mother doesn't mean every woman will.  Saying motherhood is a gift, full stop, combined with the crisis pregnancy center their church is running, comes off as pretty anti-choice. 

Motherhood is a gift if it's something you want.  Not so much if you really don't want to be pregnant or have a child. 

Fundies thinking the experience they have is what God wants for everyone (and you better suck it up and be grateful, dammit) is one of their biggest issues. 

Someone on Reddit pointed out that it looks like Jinger wrote the first paragraph and Babe wrote the second, and now I can't unsee it. That second paragraph is all Jeremy.

And children are also individual and unique gifts, and not merely a number to be added to one's bedpost or counting on show. Perhaps, Jinger, you could let that truth sink in and pass that message on to your parental unit.

Yeah the "motherhood is a gift that shouldn't be taken for granted or despised" bit is pretty pointed. If this were, say, Doug Wilson or Spanky Sproul, the sentence would've started with "contrary to what our politically correct culture claims..." but the gist is the same. :P

I do have to say though I like that Jinger pays attention to and values her relationship with her daughter in the moment. She didn’t run right out and get pregnant and we don’t know if they struggled to conceive or not but she appears to be enjoying Felicity in the moment instead of rushing right into another pregnancy like her Mom and siblings have. She’s enjoying being Felicity’s Mom not just “a mom” if that makes sense 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to leghump,  I do think the overall message of her post has an ulterior motive, with the carefully crafted wording and all. And that’s gross.

14 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Jeremy is just following the tradition of a lot of non-Catholic Christian denominations that see Catholics as misguided at best, literal heathens at worst. The Catholic-Protestant schism still runs pretty deep for a lot of groups.

Just because there are a lot of them does not mean that this sort of schism is either good or acceptable.  Actually, the schism is widening as many extreme Fundamentalist Christians spout anti-Catholic (and anti-any other Protestant Church that doesn't agree with them) rhetoric in a way that would have been quite unacceptable even 30 or 40 years ago within most Protestant main-line denominations.  The ecumenical movement was growing back then and still exists in a very real form.

For today's extreme Fundamentalist Christians and the developing Biblical Patriarchy movement "ecumenism" is a four letter word.  And many of them indulge in actual and escalating hate-speech - towards the "wrong kind of Protestant Christian" and even more against those "not-Christian" Catholics.

So Jeremy is not "just following tradition."  He is deliberately aligning himself with an angry and ugly mindset.  He should be called out for it not excused.

But Felicity is adorable and Jinger looks happy.

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that it looks like Jinger wrote the first paragraph and Babe wrote the second, and now I can't unsee it. That second paragraph is all Jeremy.

No kidding!  I'd put good money on Jeremy writing that second paragraph.

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

I do have to say though I like that Jinger pays attention to and values her relationship with her daughter in the moment. She didn’t run right out and get pregnant and we don’t know if they struggled to conceive or not but she appears to be enjoying Felicity in the moment instead of rushing right into another pregnancy like her Mom and siblings have. She’s enjoying being Felicity’s Mom not just “a mom” if that makes sense 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to leghump,  I do think the overall message of her post has an ulterior motive, with the carefully crafted wording and all. And that’s gross.

I’m going to disagree with you a bit. You can definitely say that the Duggar parents had a pattern of rushing into subsequent pregnancies, but only three of Jinger’s siblings have more than one kid and only one (Jessa) could be said to have “rushed” into a second pregnancy - whether intentionally or accidentally. The Smuggars seem to have a baby every two years, the Dills have 27 months between their boys, and Benessa’s youngest is close to 2 with no pregnancy announcement yet. I don’t think any of them really have an established pattern of rushing into more pregnancies. 

And what little we know about Jinger’s parenting experience right now is based off of carefully worded and photographed social media posts. I don’t doubt she loves her child very much and I honestly hope she’s genuinely enjoying motherhood, but I also think there’s an agenda behind the content they choose to share and that JinJer want to project a certain image that may not match reality completely. I think that’s important to keep in mind when looking at anyone’s social media, but especially the social media of people on reality tv shows. 

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm also glad Jinger is enjoying motherhood, but I'm not thrilled with what she's doing in this post. 

Just because she loves being a mother doesn't mean every woman will.  Saying motherhood is a gift, full stop, combined with the crisis pregnancy center their church is running, comes off as pretty anti-choice. 

Motherhood is a gift if it's something you want.  Not so much if you really don't want to be pregnant or have a child. 

Fundies thinking the experience they have is what God wants for everyone (and you better suck it up and be grateful, dammit) is one of their biggest issues. 

I’m a mom myself and I do consider my daughter to be the greatest gift I’ve ever received*, but not everyone in the world is going to feel that way about parenthood because parenthood isn’t the right choice for everyone. It’s more than just a little obnoxious to act like everyone should feel the way she does about it and I’m glad I’m not the only one rubbed the wrong way by the wording here. 

*Sometimes I have to remind myself of this - like when my daughter is crying because she threw her stuffed toy at the dog and the dog ran off with it to cuddle. Or when I’m trying to convince her that the water really should stay in the tub. Or when she decides paper is too mainstream for coloring and she’d rather work on wall murals... :pb_lol:

I love how she has Felicity in a pink sweater with a pink hood on, but still gotta get that bow in there, just to make 101% sure!!

I also just found a whole drawerful of these bows that I got as gifts for my daughter. I am happy to say she is 10.5 months and has not worn one ever. Partly because I hate how they look but mostly because she was born with an absolutely full head of hair, like you could style it when she was a preemie, and it looked ridiculous when I did once try to put it on. So I put one on the other day when I discovered them, she ripped it off and tried to eat it. Ha! I am going to sell them now on a Mom group or just give them away.

That second paragraph is legit written by BABE or at minimum, heavily edited by him.

Hmmmm I don’t see a problem with the wording per se. If I’d post on my Instagram about how much I love being a mother yadayadayada I don’t think I would feel the need to put a disclaimer on it for all the people who might feel differently. And I wouldn’t do it if I had a large following either.

If she (or BABE) are purposely pushing an agenda hidden in a post that is created to look simply personal that is obviously something different. 

44 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Hmmmm I don’t see a problem with the wording per se. If I’d post on my Instagram about how much I love being a mother yadayadayada I don’t think I would feel the need to put a disclaimer on it for all the people who might feel differently. And I wouldn’t do it if I had a large following either.

If she (or BABE) are purposely pushing an agenda hidden in a post that is created to look simply personal that is obviously something different. 

I doubt that you’re a reality show star angling for Preaching fame in a patriarchal anti-choice movement though. :)

Remember that Jinger comes from an extremely anti-choice family, Jeremy has preached antichoice bullshit*, and their Church apparently has a pregnancy crisis center. I have no doubts about there being an agenda of some kind and I don’t think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. 

*In Touch compiled a list of some of his problematic teachings earlier this year. The list includes links to the sermons for anyone curious. The section about the abortion sermon is labeled “Abortion leads to suicide,” which sounds like a completely fair and in no way biased sermon. :pb_rollseyes:

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Just because there are a lot of them does not mean that this sort of schism is either good or acceptable.  Actually, the schism is widening as many extreme Fundamentalist Christians spout anti-Catholic (and anti-any other Protestant Church that doesn't agree with them) rhetoric in a way that would have been quite unacceptable even 30 or 40 years ago within most Protestant main-line denominations.  The ecumenical movement was growing back then and still exists in a very real form.

. . . .

This wasn't my experience. Growing up (30-40 years ago) Catholicism was The Great Whore of Babylon (per Revelations). I was in my later thirties before I heard it starting to be questioned that perhaps Islam was The Great Whore instead and the interpretation that had been accepted for decades (even centuries?) might not be correct.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived